2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
The psychologist doesn't understand that music is not primarily about reading!!! It's about physical action creating sonic effect with emotional consequences!!! Let alone the fact your daughter loves it, you and she have fabulous bonding time through the piano, all that kind of thing.

Seriously, the psychologist is hung up on the idea (as are many of us) that the world is all about reading. It's not. And music is the best proof of that - how many fabulous musicians are there who CAN'T read music? Loads. So, even though of course you are better off to be able to read, life does not come to an end with reading, and in music the reading only facilitates certain kinds of music making.

+1

And two examples of amazing and successful musicians who have limited music reading skills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcHNZVrxEts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-prHX8IjYE

Amos

Facilitator of learning
Lover of pianos and singing
Wannabe singer/songwriter
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Your psychologist would probably have advised Stevie Wonder to take up basket weaving f

Rob
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is this a school psychologist? There is more to knowing a child than running a battery of tests. This "diagnosis" is awfully vague. For example, a student of mine (same age) struggled with spelling and as a teacher I called in the school psychologist. One could say that he had "non verbal difficulty" (which doesn't say much) but specifically he saw the letters all at once and could not settle down to lining them up in his mind one after the other. Not being able to sequence is common. The psychologist brought in an old manual typewriter. The boy had to strike one letter at a time, pay attention to which letter he was striking, and coordinate his body. All of that aligned things that were not aligned, and he started to progress.

The typewriter was a simple thing. It had a huge impact on his self esteem because he started to be able to spell. He also got some social status since he was the Keeper of the Typewriter which others got to use too. In contrast you're being told to major changes in your daughter's lifestyle: stop a mother-child activity that she enjoys where she is succeeding, and enroll in a group of strangers.

can't do puzzles or build complex designs with blocks.

That is her performance on specific tests. So what does it imply? What skills or abilities are weak, and how will this affect real life things? If they do, what do they propose to do about it. It is unlikely that her life depends on doing puzles or that she will ever be called upon to build complex designs with blocks.

One thing that seems missing are her STRENGTHS. There is no mention of what she does well, where she excels.

M
M
PianoDad hinted to it, but playing piano actually helps with spatial IQ, and it sounds like this is the very thing that she has difficulty with. It will exercise her brain, even if she may not become the best reader ever (I won't say she "wouldn't"). The brain has amazing power. It' snot like a non-functioning liver that cannot be repaired. It can learn and grow, and everyone has a limitation as to how well thy will be able to do anything.

Personally, I'm terrible at sports, but I think that if I actually practiced at it, I'd get better. I certainly wouldn't be a great athlete, but I could be better than I am now if I wanted to be.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you all for the helpful and thought-provoking discussion. I do not think I will stop piano with her, as she does really enjoy it and seems to derive some self-esteem from playing (she will go spontaneously to the piano). This is in spite of the fact she can't read a note. I am looking into guides to increase her social contact. Her little sister wants to be a brownie - argh! more chauffeuring smile
It is hard for me to make sense of the psychological testing and its implications for her further development. THe nonverbal learning of 75 was a shock, all other parameters high 80's to low 90's (not great either) and some ADHD features. Not good news, I will have to let it gel for awhile.

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Have that test and others repeated sometime in the future.

You said you cried at the meeting when you heard this. What did the doctor say or do about that? Did you get a chance to talk about your reaction? Did you get a chance to say that you very much are going to continue in your music making time with your daughter? There are so many ways to find enjoyment and satisfaction in music besides reading from the music page at the piano. Don't discount music from your lives as it is a form of therapy also and perhaps some of her needs can be met through music as therapy to promote well being and inspiration for her.

The doctor is approaching this completely from an academic achievement focus and telling you what is unlikely to happen; the more important focus is "What "can" happen musically?"

Use this together in music time to help elevate yourselves in appreciation of the world of music and appreciation between yourselves. Obviously if you are teaching her, you play the piano and perhaps have other talents that are in the arts. If only for 15 or 30 minutes a day, you can accomplish a lot by communicating with each other.

This is an area of interest that could lead to a specialized career for you - have you considered that?

One other thing my thoughts bumped on was the "exam" she would be ready for in 3 weeks. You might want to consider whether that works for her or not - pleasure/displeasure - not just the ultimate grading of it. I think your activities could have sensational results if you will focus on the pleasures in music and not the hard parts and the grading of things. Some things take a long time to learn and there is no immediate clue that what is planted is going to bloom. But, over time, things often click and connect and she should be given that opportunity. Over time is the goal here - throughout her childhood - not just the today of it.

Best wishes to you and your daughters!

Betty

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I do wonder what the reasoning behind telling a student who has a learning disability in reading to not try reading. It's like saying "you can't do that, so don't even bother trying." I wonder what Helen Keller would think? There's an old Chinese proverb that states "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

It is clear that your daughter *is* playing piano, and while reading may not be the strong point - which I think you should continue spending a little amount of time on it with her regardless - there is absolutely no reason to discontinue as it is enjoyable for both of you. It is a wonderful way for mother and daughter to spend time together, sharing their love of music.

A diagnosis like this should not be used to limit your daughter in any way, but simply to understand where her strengths and weaknesses lie so that you can approach her weaknesses in a way that will help her understand them. I even dislike the term "learning disability". It already has a negative connotation of "you can't do this" rather than simply understanding that this is who your daughter is. It's not a problem, it just IS.

Yeah, I can't help but feel that it would be a mistake to ditch reading simply because of a diagnosis. While you hear about success stories from the odd genius who can't read, it must be said that reading usually makes life substantially easier. I wouldn't instantly give up on it- any more than someone with dyslexia ought to be advised never to try reading or writing. To leave it out might impose a limitation where, even if she doesn't take to it as quickly as some, it might have been perfectly possible to work through it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
An important thing to remember, especially if the psychologist did not mention it, is that 100 being average does not mean you have to score 100 to be in the average range. 100 is simply the middle of "average" or "normal". 80's and 90's are still normal, just not at the high end of normal. If she is doing great with piano keep it up. Music may turn out to be one of her strengths whether she learns to read music or not.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by Morodiene

It is clear that your daughter *is* playing piano, and while reading may not be the strong point - which I think you should continue spending a little amount of time on it with her regardless - there is absolutely no reason to discontinue as it is enjoyable for both of you. It is a wonderful way for mother and daughter to spend time together, sharing their love of music.

A diagnosis like this should not be used to limit your daughter in any way, but simply to understand where her strengths and weaknesses lie so that you can approach her weaknesses in a way that will help her understand them. I even dislike the term "learning disability". It already has a negative connotation of "you can't do this" rather than simply understanding that this is who your daughter is. It's not a problem, it just IS.

You've gotten a lot of terrific advice on this thread, and I particularly liked Morodiene's comment here. The problem with psychological tests and diagnoses is that they too often become a mental straitjacket where people think they are (a) infallible, (b) unchanging, and (c) possess enormous predictive power. In reality, they are none of these things. What they ARE good for is helping to identify sources of difficulties people might be having with their lives and suggesting areas for intervention.

I'm secretly rooting for a miscommunication, because it would be discouraging indeed to hear that a psychologist used a test score as a basis for discouraging your child from pursuing a hobby she is finding rewarding. frown In any event, let me add to the chorus of those who are saying that you should trust your knowledge of your daughter and continue with piano as long as that is rewarding to her.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Originally Posted by pianogal37
My 8 yr old daughter (adopted at age 1) was evaluated for a learning disability, I received the feedback friday. She has a nonverbal learning disability and scores 75 (avg is 100) for this area of learning - ie she can't read music or body language, can't do puzzles or build complex designs with blocks. The psychologist suggested I switch from piano to guides or another activity where she can work on social skills and doesn't have to learn reading (music).
I was very upset and actually cried in her office. My daughter and I do 30 min a day piano as I teach her, and it is our daily activity together. She hated group piano (4-5 yrs old) and insisted on quitting, but when I bought the Kawai grand last summer she was so enamoured with it she asked me to teach her. I never thought she would stick with it, but she has. She cannot read music/flash cards/etc but plays all her grade 1 music beautifully from memory and her clapback and playback is good. Technique is not bad, she should be fine for her exam in 3 weeks. Any suggestions on what to do? I would really appreciate them!

I say screw the psychologist. You know your child better than anyone, so I think your gut instinct about music is correct. Your daughter enjoys it anyway. smile

I agree with Horowitzian here... If she enjoys it, she should go ahead. Tell the psychologist you want her to enjoy what she is doing, not to become a concert pianist...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

totally keep teaching her. It will only help.

i sense a bit of shock in your post. I adore my brain damaged brother... he is the best person I know.

i taught him to play years ago.

i teach (have taught some unusual people).. i really like the challenge of constantly trying to figure out what makes them tick and how to teach them.

peace and good luck

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
OP Offline
P
Update on my daughter's piano - we elected to keep playing and she earned First Class Honors on her RCM Grade 1 last week. It was very encouraging for her, and we will proudly display the certificate when it arrives. Thanks to everyone for their words of wisdom!

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hooray!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a remarkable story. Thank you so much for sharing it. Congratulations to your wonderful daughter and to you for your very wise decision.

Christine

[Linked Image]
There was a study done not too many years ago at the University of Irvine, Ca. It took preschoolers and divided them into groups. One had just computers, one dance, and one music/singing. The group the furthest behind was the computer group. The one that blew the others out of the water in every learning ability way was the music combined with singing. Tell your psychologist to do a bit of study and research himself before he makes suggestions that can possibly do more damage than help. Way to go!! You and your daughter both deserve a certificate. Keep it up!!! Congratulations!

If you and her are enjoying the playing together, and she isn't getting frustrated or complaining that she can't do it then why stop. Teach her to play by ear, and by rote if reading is difficult for her.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
H
H
Ahhh... She's fine!

There is a fantastic musical world without reading notation and theory. Just look at Ray Charles... In my opinion, she may even be at an advantage. Not having any focus on the 'eye' aspects of music may fine tune your daughters ear. Having a good ear in music is very beneficial.

Also, if she enjoys it, End of story. She is already a winner. There should be nothing else to gain for her.

Also in my opinion... psychologists ... are great at putting labels on symptoms.. And In this case your psychologist seems to want to simply stop the symptoms from occurring.. ERRR... ?

If smiling is one of the symptoms... then forget your psychologist.

... such a vital organ
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission