2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1440151 05/20/10 08:34 AM
J
OP Offline
J
The post with pictures about Abbey Simon brought back some memories of growing up in Santiago (Cuba) in the late 1950s. I had just started taking piano lessons and went to several piano recitals. It now amazes me that in such little town and in the few months before I left Cuba, I was able to attend performaces by, among others, Andre Tchaikowsky, Gyorgy Sandor and Abbey Simon.

At that concert in Santiago I distinctely recall Abbey Simon's piano bench angled forwards at least 30 or 40 degrees. Any of you who may have seen Abbey Simon perform in the ensuing years, was there anything special about the way he positioned or used the piano bench? Or is it perhaps my faulty memory?

Thanks,

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I saw him five years ago in Chicago and didn't see anything peculiar.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jose,

Your memory is perfect. Abbey Simon's bench is definitely tilted forward. He achieves the tilt by placing caster cups under the two back legs. I'll post pictures later today.

Irving
Faust Harrison Pianos
We sell new Bechsteins, Yamahas, Mason & Hamlins, Brodmanns and W. Hoffmanns, and rebuilt vintage Steinways. All rebuilding is done in our own factory. www.faustharrisonpianos.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here are the pictures that I promised.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Irving
Faust Harrison Pianos
We sell new Bechsteins, Yamahas, Mason & Hamlins, Brodmanns and W. Hoffmanns, and rebuilt vintage Steinways. All rebuilding is done in our own factory. www.faustharrisonpianos.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As is clearly shown in the photo of his recent performance, Mr. Simon sits on a bench that is tilted forward. Note that his legs from his hip joint to his knees slopes down somewhat, that he is sitting rather "close" to the piano and that his elbows are extended somewhat outward from his body, and that the elbow joint is slightly higher than the keyboard.

Why mention this?

Because Abbey Simon is one of David Saperton's most distinguished students (two other notables being Jorge Bolet and Sidney Foster). To a greater or lesser extent, all Saperton students played with a similar orientation to the instrument. Bolet looked very different and didn't have to sit so high, because he was such a tall man.

Here's another Saperton student, Alan Weiss, at the keyboard in his YouTube video performance of Saperton's transcription of Gershwin's "Bess, you is my woman now". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2gvUbmSWI

[Linked Image]

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you for posting the additional pictures where the angled bench is clearly seen. As a youngster I recall shortly after the concert trying it at home but not liking it. :-)

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Did Simon always use a tilted bench? I thought it was something to do with a back injury? Does any other pianist use this kind of bench?

In my experience with Abbey Simon he always uses the lifters on the standard Jansen bench. I believe he's been doing this for quite some time. But the lifters travel with him. He can apply them to any bench. -- James

James M. Steeber
Yamaha Corp. of America professional and manager for 13 years
Yamaha C3E (Midi Grand)
Yamaha CP33
Stride piano -ø- Composition -ø- Photography -ø- Marketing -ø- PR -ø- Artist Management
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think what he does is a very good idea. Instead of sitting out to the edge of the bench to allow the thighs to slope down, he can sit the whole body on the bench for better support.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission