2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Monica, thanks! You would not believe the series of "bad days" I've been having and your comment was a needed pick-me-up.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
56 Schubertian - Bagatelle #3, Op. 126
Dreamy. Maybe a little heavy on the pedal for some Beethoven purists, but very enjoyable. The piano didn't sound that far off tune.

You are right Home/Shoes - there is probably more pedal in this than a purist would allow - but most interesting to me is that Beethoven very clearly indicates that the pedal is to be held down for the entire last four bars, giving it an almost impressionistic blur of a fade - this is such an unusual piece and, like all these Op 126 Bagatelles, I like it better every day.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MegumiNoda
19. Frozenicicles - Étude Op. 25 No. 7 "Cello"
Impressive techniques. Those gigantic left-hand runs are spectacular! And there are lots of things that are going really well: the eighth note chords quietly keep the tempo steady, the right hand melody is clear but does not overshadow the left hand; the dynamics also work really well throughout. I've not attempted this etude myself, so my feedback on this piece is largely based on comparisons to other recordings I've heard rather than any personal experience. Right now, the slow parts still sound a little metronomic. Have you tried playing the left-hand melody with your right hand to see what kind of phrasing it produces? In any case, I'm sure when you're done polishing this piece, it'll be beautiful. Please post updates!

Thanks for your comment. My interpretation has a lot less rubato than what you would normally hear. Whenever I try to add more, it starts sounding feeling very contrived. I admire those who can make rubato effortless and natural. It's been more than 2 years since I started this Etude. Perhaps I haven't reached the necessary maturity to do its interpretation full justice.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
TX Dennis-

I like the sound of your teacher's piano, too. It has that beautiful complex tone one thinks of when one hears the name Steinway. Sadly, not all Steinways do. That is a pretty impressive start to learning pieces from a lead sheet.

Thanks for the nice comments and for listening! The invitation to use the Steinway is open, so I hope to get some more time on it.

HIMS Thank you, too, for your kind comments!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
My interpretation has a lot less rubato than what you would normally hear. Whenever I try to add more, it starts sounding feeling very contrived.

Maybe it actually sounds pretty good, but you feel self-conscious about it for some reason?

Not sure if this helps (it helps me with writing): make a recording of a version with "more rubato"; put it away for a week or so; then try to listen/critique to it more objectively with a fresh frame of mind later.

Anyway, although I don't know you personally, just based on your PW postings, I suspect you have more than enough maturity for the piece.

Good luck!

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Finally I was able to listen to the recital 18.

01. dannylux / Mel - Prelude in D flat Op.33 No.8 (to do)
Very nice Prelude

02. Manndrew (Andy) - My Song (to do)
A+++

03. b528nf7 (Bill) - Your Song (to do)
A classic song from Elton, wonderful

04. TrueBeginner - Somewhere (to do)
Very nice composition, not beginner anymore laugh

05. BenPiano - Sonatina Op. 55, No. 1 (to do)
Very nice sonatina

06. Mr Super-Hunky - The Ludlows- theme from Legends of the Fall movie (to do)
Another Super-recital

07. tdvance (Todd Vance) - Wedding Day at Troldhagen (to do)
9 minutes of piano playing, two thumbs up.

08. Strings & Wood/CarlMc - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You (to do)
So nice, it's now on my list.

09. John Frank - Return to the Heart (to do)
Beautiful.

10. Riddler (Ed) - Impressions (to do)
Great Jazz song

11. mahlzeit - Recital 18 (to do)
You have a lot of talent for composition but not for title of piece laugh

12. Ken. - Ask Me Now (to do)
Very nice, keep learning Jazz

13. flyingfroggy - Nocturne in B flat minor Op. 9 No. 1 (to do)
Chopin at his best.

14. Edtek - Johnson Rag (to do)
Very nice for your first recital

15. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Op. 19/6 (to do)
Another great classical

16. ladypayne - Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas (to do)
I really enjoy it.

17. Mohan Karthik - My Heart will go on (to do)
Very nice, I like your rendition. I think I will change the way I play it.

18. ten left thumbs aka Laura - Five Stars (to do)
Didn't hear any hesitation.

19. Frozenicicles - Étude Op. 25 No. 7 "Cello" (to do)
Another wonderful Chopin.

more to come...

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

25. Peyton - Babbleon
Wow! That's an awesome, creative original composition! The combination of of blues and Middle Eastern influences is really striking.

26. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Reflection
I enjoyed this sweet song (is it ok to say "song" in this context?). Thanks!

27. AnotherSchmoe - Memories Of Green
"And all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain..." One of my favorite movies too :-)

28. Augustina - Fur Elise
I know what you mean about playing something so much to the point of getting tired of it. Congrats on having completed this piece; it's something of a milestone, I think. I hope you are enjoying learning something new!

29. AnthonyB - Indaco
I like the serene mood this piece creates. Congrats on conquering the tough passages. The overall effect is very smooth.

30. Undone - Prelude in A major Op. 28, No. 7
Isn't this a wonderful prelude? So short and yet so expressive. I like the unhurried tempo you chose. If the left-hand were a tad softer/gentler, the melody will appear even more lyrical.

31. Jazzwee - Very Early
The music has a free flowing feel to it. Improvising on Bill Evans must be so incredibly challenging. Kudos!

32. Serge88 - My Heart Will Go On
Very expressively played!

33. Euan Morrison - Written On The Sky
The subtle nuances make this a pleasure to listen to.

34. Tenolios - Band of Brothers Main Title
This sounds a little like a hymn to me. You play it very well!

35. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Blue
Thanks for sharing this moving, heart-felt performance with us. I think I watched a few episodes of "Maria-sama ga miteru" when it came out, but the soundtrack didn't make as strong an impact as hearing it now.

36. pianofossil - Waltz in A minor Op 34 No 2
Hey, fellow first time recital participant! This is a really expressive performance! The red dot didn't mute it at all. Using an external mic (if your camcorder can connect to one) can reduce some of the ambient noises. I just got a camcorder too, so I am also still fiddling with all the recording mechanisms.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
01. dannylux / Mel - Prelude in D flat Op.33 No.8
Very lovely music. Could have been a jazz ballad. Wonderful job Dannylux.

02. Manndrew (Andy) - My Song
Great job again Keith, errr...Andy. Where do you find these transcriptions? We share the same idol apparently. Obviously difficult to play but well done.

03. b528nf7 (Bill) - Your Song
One of my favorite piano tunes which I used to play by ear. A very nice arrangement Bill. Wonderfully played and sung. Just because I play jazz now doesn't I forget all these tunes I grew up with and that you always play. You bring me back memories. Thanks.

04. TrueBeginner - Somewhere
Self composition? Nice job TB. Always extra points for those who compose too. Played very well.

05. BenPiano - Sonatina Op. 55, No. 1
Nicely done Ben. Very even and you sound very much in control. Looks like you're doing quite well in your piano journey at 11 months.

06. Mr Super-Hunky - The Ludlows- theme from Legends of the Fall movie
Lovely tune and nicely played Mr SH. With that beautiful piano sound, I think you can experiment with variations in dynamics. Truly 7ft of sweetness.

07. tdvance (Todd Vance) - Wedding Day at Troldhagen
Sounds like a challenging piece Todd. Well done! For technical advice to take you up to the next notch, there are some parts that sound like they need to be more legato particularly the middle notes of the phrase and even when you play fortissimo, you'll learn later on that not every note is played at the same level. If you stick to this piece for awhile you'll be able to experiment with some of this. Listened to this several times.

08. Strings & Wood/CarlMc - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
Nice touch CarlMc (you're messing me up with your name change). From what I recall from the past recitals this is decidely a big improvement. Lovely playing.

09. John Frank - Return to the Heart
Nicely done John. It sounds like one your better submissions. Very enjoyable playing and a nice piece of music.

10. Riddler (Ed) - Impressions
Your productions are just so well done it brings a smile to my face. Of course I listened to this the first day of the recital as well so just holding off my comments till now. I don't know this tune but your interesting choices always make me want to learn them. You did it so cleanly that I don't know where the improvisation begins. Wonderful production (the whole thing), truly. Good comping too BTW, especially during the bass solo. I've got to learn Naima too after hearing it from you. I bought the track right after.

11. mahlzeit - Recital 18
It does sound familiar, but not like one source. Sounds like snippets of several. It sounds great. Your touch has matured too. A very classy performance.

12. Ken. - Ask Me Now
NICE CHOICE OF TUNE! Your good taste already got me in a good mood. Your first pedaling tune? You got it perfectly. You actually sound like you've been playing longer. Well done!

13. flyingfroggy - Nocturne in B flat minor Op. 9 No. 1
Very fine piano playing flyingfroggy. That was truly enjoyable to listen to. And a very nice piano sound coming out of that Schimmel.

14. Edtek - Johnson Rag
That was very nice Edtek. Played with a lot of precision. But very short.

15. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Op. 19/6
Great performance Sam. To bring it up a notch technically, probably could use some
differentation in dynamics between melody and comping and maybe some slight rubato to flex the time a little. I think it might suit this piece. Nice job.

16. ladypayne - Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas
Nicely played ladypayne. Yes the rushing was noticeable smile But I'm a jazz guy so I notice rushing more than others. Other than that though it sounds wonderful. Not bad for a rush job.

17. Mohan Karthik - My Heart will go on
You have a nice touch Mohan for a relative beginner. Looks like piano comes naturally to you. The balance in your hands usually comes after many more years, plus very even playing.

18. ten left thumbs aka Laura - Five Stars
You're finally improvising! It sounds like you're hearing the melodies now and the phrasing is coming too. Subtle time differences that just make the music pop. Great job. Keep at it.

Very nice Frozenicicles. You're obviously an advanced pianist. Wonderful touch and WHAT LEFT HAND WORK. Whew! My only complaint is that you need to get a tuner to tune that piano. We can't have anything ruin this. You stretch the word beginner. LOL. smile

20. joangolfing - Italian Concerto--Andante Movement
It's amazing you can focus on these pieces for such long periods of time. I have to admire your tenacity. Nice performance and very well enjoyed.

21. HomeInMyShoes - Op. 30 No. 6 (Venetian Boat Song)
Heavenly sounding playing HomeInMyShoes. That was exquisite and I was disappointed that it wasn't long enough. I really enjoy it when you guys post and stretch the meaning of the 'beginner' smile. Looking forward to hearing you on the next recital.

22. Coldsalmon - Aria from The Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
You had such precision in your playing ColdSalmon, sounding like you have more experience than you indicate. Nice touch and even playing. You must be a natural. Well done.

23. bluekeys - When You Say Nothing At All
Nice to hear you improvising bluekeys. I like the balance between your LH and RH. It really brings out the melodies. The hardest part of improvising is being able to do all this with evenness and perfection in rhythm even when the mind interjects an idea. If you become conscious of that, you'll be jumping to the next level in no time. Great work.

24. pianonewb - Because He Lives
Great job playing by ear. You were filling in nicely and nice phrasing (on the piano). Good singing too.

25. Peyton - Babbleon
You're really creative Peyton. That was fascinating and totally unexpected from what it started with. Wonderful performance and got my foot tapping smile

26. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Reflection
The timing of hearing this is amazing. My kids just got the Mulan movie just today. What a coincidence. Very nice arrangement and you played it very well. Great job.

27. AnotherSchmoe - Memories Of Green
Very nicely done AnotherSchmoe. Looks like you need some new fancy Synth to add your other effects. But you played it so well that it doesn't need anything else.

28. Augustina - Fur Elise
Good job Augustina. You certainly sound like you've played this a lot and it shows in your confidence. A technical tip would be to watch when you lift the pedal. It seems always a tad early so you cut off the legato to the next chord. You'll want to make the pedal invisible.

29. AnthonyB - Indaco
You're certainly becoming an expert at New Age. You're really good at it. Very enjoyable playing.

30. Undone - Prelude in A major Op. 28, No. 7
Nicely played Undone. I hope this gives you confidence to bring it up to tempo. You did well and I'm looking forward to hear you at the next recital.

32. Serge88 - My Heart Will Go On
Wonderful rendition Serge88. Your touch has improved quite a bit and your LH balances nicely with the RH melody. Getting better each time!

33. Euan Morrison - Written On The Sky
Nice work of learning this by ear and played with a nice touch. For technical advice, you'll need to even out your rhythm more and this will sound even more amazing. Great work.

Good work Tenolios. Not bad for 9 months. Keep it up!

Your explanation of what this music means to adds to my appreciation of this. I felt like you were able to convey that feeling in this piece. Wonderfully done.

36. pianofossil - Waltz in A minor Op 34 No 2
Nice work pianofossil. It looks like the Red dot failed since you have quite a success here. Very well played and a great 1st recital entry. A higher quality than would be expected after two years.

37. Monica K. - Golden Fly One
I was about to say this was more rhythmic than I usually hear from you and then I see you write the same thing. It's a success. You've certainly conquered this and the piano sound is wonderful. Maybe lessen the LH a bit and increase the volume of the Melody more. That should bring it up a notch. I know how hard it is to keep a constant ostinato going there. Congratulations on a major achievement.

38. mcasl - Nel cor piu non mi sento: Var I.
Good job mcasl. I'm glad you're able to submit to the recital even the trials of real life. Looking forward to a longer submission next time around. On this one, you can work on evenness a little and that should bring you up to the next level.

39. MegumiNoda - Improvisation #15 "Hommage a Edith Piaf"
Quite enjoyable playing from obviously advanced pianist. Lovely touch and control. The volume was a little low so I was hoping the recording was a little clearer since this is amazing playing. Looks like you didn't forget much of your childhood playing.

40. MaryBee - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Your comment about your playing made me laugh. Reminds me of my wife who has put up years of what she describes as 'banging' smile So I hear you. This is certainly not banging and it sounds great. You handled the dynamics and pedalling flawlessly.

41. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Fanfare for the Common Man
I like your music choice. Brought me memories. It is hard to play this evenly because of the wide spaces in between so if you want to perfect it, play it against a metronome. Nice job.

42. Mark... - Nocturne
Nice work Mark. There's some missing/incorrect beat in there somewhere. You may want to restudy the score as some notes are not aligned. Could be a good learning experience. If there's some other version you can listen to, you can compare. Sorry, it's my jazz habit of counting so I'm sensitive to the rhythm. Unfortunately the streaming audio has no time marker so I can't point it out. Maybe the 3rd phrase of the melody.

More to follow (not much more) smile

Wonderful performances so far.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Very nice Frozenicicles. You're obviously an advanced pianist. Wonderful touch and WHAT LEFT HAND WORK. Whew! My only complaint is that you need to get a tuner to tune that piano. We can't have anything ruin this. You stretch the word beginner. LOL. smile

Heh heh...sorry for the tuning problem. My tech said that every 8 months was probably enough for my piano but I'm starting to think otherwise. Maybe he underestimated the vigour of my playing. One of my G#'s is woefully flat and always beats when played in an octave. Yeah, I'm not a beginner anymore but I still feel like one when I play something like this. I'm in a bit of a slump these days and having terrible practice sessions, so thanks for the encouragement! Gotta beat the romantic and impressionist stuff into submission so it comes naturally like baroque and classical. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow! I hate to admit I've never heard this piece before, and for some reason, even though I subscribe to you on YT, I somehow missed the sneak peak of this. Nonetheless, this was very impressive! Those left hand runs look wicked. 2 years on this one?? Now, *that's* dedication!

I love the simply complex nature of Bach works. Well played!

21. HomeInMyShoes - Op. 30 No. 6 (Venetian Boat Song)
This is the 2nd Mendelssohn performance so far, and so far I'm really digging it! And, as for any flubs caused by background screaming (I couldn't tell anyway), just wait until they can bang on the keys while you're playing - if that doesn't cure one of performance anxiety, I don't know what will. Well done!

22. Coldsalmon - Aria from The Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
Loved it - nice playing!

23. bluekeys - When You Say Nothing At All
I'm not familiar with the song, but it sounded great - well done!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
Wow! I hate to admit I've never heard this piece before, and for some reason, even though I subscribe to you on YT, I somehow missed the sneak peak of this. Nonetheless, this was very impressive! Those left hand runs look wicked. 2 years on this one?? Now, *that's* dedication!

Thanks! I was sneaky and made my video private until recital day. cool I didn't spend 2 years practicing it without break, or I would be thoroughly sick of it by now. It took me about a month to get polished and I performed it at a recital. The first few times I performed it were rather terrible - blurred pedaling and clunky phrasing. I gave it about 6 months of rest and performed it again, with better results. This time, it only took me a few days to get it back into shape with some improvements. This is one of those pieces that I can keep on rediscovering every time I bring it back to life. I think it'll be handy to keep up my arsenal whenever someone asks me to perform "cold" on a foreign piano, because the slow recitative section can serve as testing grounds for the pedaling, tone and action.

Originally Posted by MightyS
Frozenicicles,

thank you for your comment. This piece turned out to be a lot more difficult than I thought when I started practicing it. I have another recording about a month ago, (if you care to see, here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P1SLUSRm8Q). At that point, I had a month + of practice, and now I realized that actually my playing was more even and better back then than the one that I submitted. I think because, as I got more used to the fingering, I got sloppier. I think I will practice slowly again to improve precision.

I took a look at that video, and your playing was indeed more controlled (although less refined) back then. Pieces like the one you're working on require regular tune-up work via slow practice, hands separate, and rhythms to keep them fresh. It's a good idea to start doing that now or you might do damage by sloppily playing it at performance tempo. I used to dislike slow practice and sometimes permanently ruined pieces beyond repair. You're definitely nowhere near that stage yet. smile

Congratulations, great recital!
I am enjoying a wonderful time listening these amazing renditions.

Thank you for the positive feedback as well. I am writing down all your recommendations.

Manuel

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Formerly 1WeekPlayer. Currently practicing:
- Arabesque 1. Debussy
- Wiener Urtext Primo collection
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl
A
A
Thank you all for the comments. I'll practice Fur Elise a bit more this summer when I'm unemployed and have nothing to do:). Also put everyone's music on my mp3 player for my 6 hour car drive up north, will try and post comments sometime this weekend:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
H
H
I may have missed some comments, but they do mean a lot. Just the fact that people take time to listen means a lot. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Originally Posted by joangolfing
Very well done. I suspect it won't take your son long to like Mendelssohn with this to listen to

I'm a little worried about the first, second and third rebellions. smile

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
This is such a beautiful piece (and quite challenging). Your version sings. I'm not a purist - it sounds wonderful to my ears.

Outside of the trills, and an awkward little descending thirds passage in a few spots in this one, I found Op. 19, No. 6 (Sam's and Bunneh's entry) to be more demanding of my brain, but then I tried to put that one together in three months and this one, well, it might have been the entry for the last recital, but it was still a bit kludgey to me.

Originally Posted by Frozenicicles

Congrats on being a father! Your baby is lucky to grow up with this music to listen to. I’m not going to compare yours to the original, so it sounds fine to me. I like hearing a different interpretation once in awhile. To keep your long trill even and the right speed, try practicing it measured against the left hand, using rotation in your wrist. I’m not very good at trills myself.

Thanks for the congratulations and the tips on trills. I'm sure if I had a teacher right now I'd get that technique cleaned up a bit. And maybe make a bit faster progress on some things. Of course, I wouldn't feel as free to just sit and play some days either.

Originally Posted by CMohr

I love this selection from SWW. It was the first one I ever listened to way back when. You also have the "rocking" feeling of the gondola down. Man, those trills gave me goosebumps. Your recordings always sound so great and clear. Very excellent playing, and a nice tempo.

Thanks. I'm trying to pay more attention to tempo. A lot of the time in the past, I was always playing a bit slower than indicated and never pushing myself to bring things up to indicated tempos and I think I was doing myself a disservice both to technique and to interpretive freedom.

Originally Posted by b528nf7
This piece is quite beautiful as is your performance.

Thanks Bill. Mendelssohn has quite a few pieces that really hold their own in the Romantic repertoire.

Originally Posted by MegumiNoda
Very nice! And if you go with a slightly slower tempo and gentler dynamics, I think it might make a very nice lullaby for the baby too. He will become a Felix fan yet!

It does slow down quite nicely. I'm surprised playing quieter pieces and more dynamically flat hasn't calmed him down much. My wife used to sit in a chair and read while I practiced during the pregnancy.

Originally Posted by Sam Smith
Very expressive. I especially liked the way that you build up and down in the measures before the trills. And again at the end between trills. I bet you could even slow this down a little and bring out the moodiness of it more.

I've been working on tempo quite a bit with pieces now. I'm a bit under the tempo marked on my edition at 69 to the beat. I'm usually around the mid-60s now. I've practiced it a few times around 75, to get my brain thinking faster. The two Venetian Boat Songs I've worked on so far change in feeling dramatically as the tempo changes. I like both of them a bit slower than indicated, but not too slow. Probably incorrectly, but if I think of the left hand as the ripples/waves/incessant boat rocking and the right hand melody as the poler than the faster tempos make more sense to me.

Originally Posted by Monica K.
With a four month old baby in the house, it’s impressive that you manage to get ANYTHING done, let alone work up a piece for the recital! Between you and Sam, I’m beginning to think that this Mendohlsson guy is somebody I need to add to my very short list of classical composers to learn. Great job! And I thought your trills sounded terrific the way they were.

Sam and I are working diligently on making a dent in the Chopin and Einaudi monopolies around here. smile I also think it was GreenRain (where did GreenRain go, I miss their performances) who first played one of the Boat Songs at the recitals.

Time is all relative now. I spend most of the time I can get working at half to two-thirds tempos now trying to clean up my messy fingers. It's worked wonders for some things and not for others. And time is relative Monica. Considering that this one was on the short list for last recital, it's had another three months (okay, maybe two months) of almost daily work plus a two week intensive clean-up period before the last recital. I probably first started work on this more than eight months ago.

Originally Posted by jazzwee
Heavenly sounding playing HomeInMyShoes. That was exquisite and I was disappointed that it wasn't long enough. I really enjoy it when you guys post and stretch the meaning of the 'beginner' . Looking forward to hearing you on the next recital.
When it takes me more than eight months to get a piece to this point you'll understand how I feel like a beginner when I see what people play in three or less years. I've got pieces that I've worked on (on and off) for more than three years. smile

Originally Posted by BenPiano
This is the 2nd Mendelssohn performance so far, and so far I'm really digging it! And, as for any flubs caused by background screaming (I couldn't tell anyway), just wait until they can bang on the keys while you're playing - if that doesn't cure one of performance anxiety, I don't know what will. Well done!

Haha. You should have seen the look on his face when I sat him on my lap at the piano and he pushed on the keys and it made a sound. Every day is an adventure. Sometimes hard, but always good.

@Schubertian: I will definitely have to take a look at the Op. 126 Bagatelles. If I put it on the pile now, I might get to them around 2037?!? I maybe need to trim the pile of shoulds a bit. smile I love Beethoven (just wish I could play him better) and found the pedaling very interesting because my <<cough>> technique doesn't hold up to Beethoven very well. I'm hopeful to get around to something by Beethoven and Chopin for one of the recitals at some point. I think I will have then covered most of the major composers -- at present -- in my piano life. If I'm lucky I'll be able to do Op. 28 some day.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
20. joangolfing - Italian Concerto--Andante Movement I just started the first few pages of Part 1 of the Concerto this week. After submitting part two and three I'm still eager for more Bach!!

I appreciate all the expert comments that have been made on this forum. I find that with each recital the details about everyone's pieces has expanded.

I am trying out the response template since I didn't understand how the symbols created the bold text within the message.

Last edited by joangolfing; 05/19/10 07:14 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
31. Jazzwee - Very Early
This is very well played and your piano sounds wonderful with a full, rich tone. I can picture this being played in an upscale lounge with low lights and perhaps a string bass. Very nice!

You play very well for someone only playing for 9 months and self-teaching at that! Very Well Done.

The title of your piece is perfect – this is indeed a very blue-sounding piece. Your performance captures this mood nicely.

37. Monica K. - Golden Fly One
Wow! This is quite different from your usual “dreamy” tempo pieces but you play it beautifully. It may be shorter that your usual submissions but it probably has the same amount of notes so it all comes out even. Teacher or not – your playing keeps getting better and better. You and your piano are a delight to listen to and watch.

38. mcasl - Nel cor piu non mi sento: Var I.
I missed your usual high quality video but your performance of this short piece is outstanding. Nicely played.

39. MegumiNoda - Improvisation #15 "Hommage a Edith Piaf"
You are a very accomplished pianist – your 10 years of “on and off” lessons as a kid really payed off. Well done.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
12. Ken. - Ask Me Now
I didn't know Monk could be so melodic. I really enjoyed this and it sounds like you can develop this theme down the road.

13. flyingfroggy - Nocturne in B flat minor Op. 9 No. 1
You produced a very nice tone with this piece. Clear and with an excellent dynamic range. Especially the upper registers of the Nocturne were beautiful. Well done.

14. Edtek - Johnson Rag
A really fun piece. Nice steady beat. I wish it were a little longer though. It ended just when I was getting in to it. I think you have the chops to do more extensive rags.

15. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Op. 19/6
A very pretty piece Sam. Good rhythmic control and a nice soft ending.

16. ladypayne - Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas
Sometimes I take for granted how beautiful some of these movie themes can be. Notwithstanding the circumstances surrounding the recording of this piece, I thought you played wonderfully. Especially since there's a lot of things going on in this song.

17. Mohan Karthik - My Heart will go on
You certainly have an excellent touch on the keyboard. Very good job on a beautiful song.

18. ten left thumbs aka Laura - Five Stars
Excellent effort Laura. I think you did great on the improvised section. Be bold, let yourself go and continue experimenting.

Good effort. i would have liked a little more departure from the rhythm, but technically well done. Perhaps a bit more control on those 32nd note passages.

Excellent performance. Very clear tone and wonderful embellishments. The only suggestion I would have is to be a little softer with the left hand. Less would be more there.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
41. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Fanfare for the Common Man
This big piece works surprising well on solo piano. Very cool arrangement and excellent performance.

42. Mark... - Nocturne
I liked everything about his entry – your video is crisp, your playing sounds terrific and I love your piano. Nice!

46. ddh - Daniel - Strawberry Fields Forever
I was excited when I saw this on the recital list. Like most folks my age I’m a huge Beatles fan and this is one of my favorites. This arrangement and your performance capture the melancholy mood of this nicely. Well done.

47. MIghtyS - Jardins sous la pluie (Gardens in the rain)
Like MegumiNoda you really got your money’s worth out of your 10 years of lessons as a kid. You are the real deal. This is a Professional sounding performance.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
First off, thank you to PW, the ABF recital organizers, Monica and Mahlzeit for managing the recital. Also, thank you to all the participants for your most excellent music.

01. dannylux / Mel - Prelude in D flat Op.33 No.8
Mel, such a fine first piece to begin the May recital! Played with the sensitivity of a master. Bravo!

02. Manndrew (Andy) - My Song
Andy, wonderful chord changes throughout the piece. Great job on transcribing Keith Jarrett's music. Your technique is quite good, holding all the coupled notes and meandering melody line while you move through the key changes. A+++

03. b528nf7 (Bill) - Your Song
Bill, what can I say?? You are a natural performer. Thanks for sharing your gift of being able to sing and accompany yourself. Well-done!

04. TrueBeginner - Somewhere
Being able to play and express yourself through your own composition is absolutely fantastic. Maybe it's time to change your handle?

05. BenPiano - Sonatina Op. 55, No. 1
Ben, playing this Kuhlau Sonatina is not difficult, but it is difficult to play well. Your skill really shines here with this piece. You held the tempo change together quite nicely. This is an uplifting piece with a classic Kuhlau ending, portayed very nicely. Less than a year, eh? Fantastic!

06. Mr Super-Hunky - The Ludlows- theme from Legends of the Fall movie
MSH, You are a good player. I've never showed much of an interest in movie themes until your portrayal of this one! Excellent microphone placement on a fine sounding piano played very, very well.

07. tdvance (Todd Vance) - Wedding Day at Troldhagen
Todd, how you managed to hold it together for over 9 minutes is a testament to your abilities. I was too busy enjoying your playing to hear any mistakes. It sounds like you were having a great time expressing yourself with this piece! Thank you for sharing.

08. Strings & Wood/CarlMc - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
Nicely recorded and played pop tune. Your piano sounds wonderful and it is no doubt a joy to play - your sensitivity to the piece brings that out so well.

09. John Frank - Return to the Heart
Never heard of David Lanz until this piece. It is clear you are listening to the piece as you bring out the melodious meaning. Good work, John!

10. Riddler (Ed) - Impressions
Ed, as usual, you bring out the best in all the music you post, and this is no exception. The experience of listening to you play, puts me in a place where I want to visualize you playing on stage with the drummer and bass player. Thanks for sharing your interpretation of some quite fine jazz.

11. mahlzeit - Recital 18
Yes, the piece does sound vaguely familiar, but your take on it makes it completely yours.

12. Ken. - Ask Me Now
Ken, gotta love those Monk tunes! I really like the way you use the pedal and maintain the rhythm throught this piece.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I

48. Copper - A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
Very nice and simple - well done. My only suggestion is to concentrate on keeping time - one of my achilles heels. wink

49. Mar_red - Caravan
I've not heard Caravan in a long time. You have a very playful style with this old standard. Good stuff!

50. DragonPianoPlayer - Invention No 1
Nice going on this invention. Looks simple...but not simple to play well. My only suggestion would be to emphasize the different voices at bit more. Your speed and timing is most excellent.

51. epf - Dill Pickles Rag
You kept that left hand driving the rhythm - that synchopated section in the middle is always a stickler. What I like most about it is that you are clearly having a great time playing this fun rag - a real toe-tapper!

52. jotur/Cathy Turner - John Roy Lyall/Improv in F
I love those Scottish pieces. Thanks for bringing this one to the fore.

53. CMohr - Somewhere Over The Rainbow
You've done a great job with your arrangement of this timeless melody. I really like the voicing and chord changes you used. It is as though one can hear you singing it as you play and work your way through the turns. You and I seem to enjoy the same style(s) of piano playing!

54. casinitaly - Lilla
I like this little piece of music. You play so well for having played a year and a half! Look forward to hearing more from you.

55. Alexdreamer - Mazurka N.2, Op.7
Chopin's Mazurkas are wonderful and not so simple to pull off. I think you did a great job on this one. Two years you've been playing...what have I been doing? Thanks for playing this piece.

56. Schubertian - Bagatelle #3, Op. 126
These Bagatelles are so difficult to play well. Thanks for bringing this one out.

57. Bunneh - Venezianisches Gondellied op. 19 No. 6
You really make this Song Without Words sing. Hard to believe it's been less than two years for you. I look forward to hearing this same piece played on your new grand piano!

58. Inlanding (Glen) - Complaint op.3 nr.1
Your rendition smacks of the need for more practice, although not bad for a second take and not having played it very much. You capture the mood adequately, but breaks in the rhythm are apparent. Two more weeks of practice on this piece as well as the other four pieces and you should do okay in the live recital at the end of May. Practice does not make perfect - but perfect practice might.

59. TTigg / Steve C - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
Such fine rendition. It is played very sensitively. The meditative/reptitive theme paves the way for a very relaxing time listening to you play. A wonderful final piece in the Recital list.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission