2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
I notice that when my techniques are on the action on my piano is smooth as butter and sound is beautiful and even. When my techniques are off the action and sound are not as nice. I wonder if when people complaint about their piano's action or sound, it may very well be the player's deficiency? I'm not talking about a piano that is falling apart, but a piano in decent shape should provide pretty good sound in the right hands. My piano teacher's piano is not in the best of shape but when she plays it it sounds magical. To borrow from an old Michael Jordan's Nike ad, I'm thinking, no, it's not the shoes.

Do technicians notice pickier piano owners tend to be less skilled?

Interesting question. I think on the one hand, a great pianist should be able to adjust on the fly to different keyboards. On the other hand, all things being equal, a professional would probably prefer to stick with their favorite keyboard action (for example, a light-action Steinway), and hope they experience something similar on pianos they play in concert. Even if you are totally capable of adjusting to different actions, why would anyone wish for the extra difficulty?

Shigeru Kawai SK6
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
This is absolutely ludicrous. Glenn Gould, Vladimir Horowitz, etc. were among the pickiest pianists ever and among the most skilled. I'm super picky, but that's because I'm less willing than other pianists to deal with deficient pianos, and because I've played every high-end grand that exists, with one or two exceptions.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There are a very few pianists who are extremely skilled, and they can be picky. There are pianists who are extremely skilled and good at making do with what they have. There are pianists who are picky but just think they are extremely skilled. There are pianists who are picky so they can blame something else for their shortcomings.

One of the toughest parts of the concert technician's job is being pickier than the artist is. Even tougher is being able to accommodate all of these different types of artists.

Semipro Tech
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ffevhbtwh
Do technicians notice pickier piano owners tend to be less skilled?

What is this question supposed to mean? There are all sorts of people out there, some fitting your description, others not. Generalizations of that nature result in no meaningful discussion in my view.

Lastly, in order to be picky I'd assume that one has to be pretty alert to notice inconsistencies in a piano. Most people that I know would never complain about my piano's tuning even though I can hear when the octaves become just a little bit impure. It bothers me as I'd like to have a perfectly tuned piano. However, based on my statement, I wish you good look figuring out whether I am less or more skilled at playing it.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by beethoven986
I'm super picky, but that's because I'm less willing than other pianists to deal with deficient pianos...

Which leads me to the next question on which we could poll people here: Do people who claim to be picky on an online forum just do this to corroborate their online persona as a discerning and picky one. Or, in turn, are they picky for pickiness's sake? Or, are they actually picky because the amount of underwhelming pianos is sheer overwhelming and therefore said pickiness serves as a bona-fide means to express the need for well-maintained pianos? Or.... crazy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am not a skilled pianist but I am terribly picky!

On my own piano I can feel every small difference that my own tuner does not even feel. I OCD majorly on my piano action and sound, it seems I want 100% perfection as the piano was so expensive!
The piano sounds gorgeous but when you listen note by note, there are some minor diffences, almost inaudiable that nobody seems to hear but me. I do know that this is part of owning a piano, 100% perfection does not exsist. It is up to the player to make it sound glorious!

I call the tuner every 3 months......

Sometimes I spend to much time on these things, I should focus my energy on becoming a better player!!

My partner says I am crazy crazy (Maybe I have issues cool)

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
These topics don't just concern pianists. Singers always searching for the "perfect" monitor mix, microphone, etc. guitar players on their quest for the perfect tone, strings, neck action, pickup configuration, etc. Reed players being super picky about reeds, etc. In my mind there is no question that a skilled player should be able to make the most of any situation, however, a poor instrument does bring a whole set of variables to the table, some of which can not be overcome. I once played a piano that had a sticky key that would ring out. The guitar player was sitting right next to me and whenever that key would stick he would crack up and lean over to raise it back up again, which I very much appreciated. Some people are so picky that they take the fun right out of making music. To me, you make the best of any situation and have fun, if not it's not worth it. Of course I don't get paid thousands of dollars per gig either. Prime example is Taylor Swift struggling with her monitor mix during the Grammy's. She was panned by many critics when clearly it was not her fault. If you can't hear your voice, you can't sing on pitch period. The public and especially the critics don't want to hear excuses, even if they are legitimate. I guess music and life are both complicated shades of gray.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
N
N
Patrick summed it up for me.

And, Seilerfan, I think I could find a witness or two to testify that I am indeed a bit picky. But I don't think it is for any ulterior motive. I just get the best "high" from playing with nuance and a singing tone. When I can't get it, I'm frustrated.

This has also developed into a true appreciation of wonderful pianos and the people who make and maintain the good ones.

When it comes down to it and I am performing (e.g. on a crappy old grand piano in the school auditorium or church) it doesn't get to me AT ALL. I do my best and it usually sounds great. If they want it to sound better then "they" can buy a better piano. At home, at night, in the quiet, I hear everything and want it to sound good simply to please me...and because I know it can and should sound great.

-Nocty
Not in the piano business.
1906 Baldwin C rebuilt 2008

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission