Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
135 registered members (Bruce In Philly, Beowulf, BbAltered, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beemer, Angelos58, anotherscott, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Emissary52] #1405061
03/27/10 04:43 PM
03/27/10 04:43 PM
New Jersey
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

New Jersey
Here is a link that has two pages of Faber Adult 2 that you can look at - not much to go by, but I think that site can also give you a list of the pieces in the book. If not, sheetmusic.com has the list of contents.

http://www.pianoatpepper.com/pdf/5976532.pdf

mom3gram

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE
Faber Adult PA Bk. 1 Graduate
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram] #1405876
03/28/10 09:33 PM
03/28/10 09:33 PM
Monroe, NC USA
E
Emissary52 Offline
Emissary52  Offline
E

Monroe, NC USA
Thank you so much for that info mom3gram! I'm definitely going to get the Adult Book 2.

Last edited by Emissary52; 03/28/10 09:34 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Emissary52] #1406012
03/29/10 03:09 AM
03/29/10 03:09 AM
V
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Volusiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
V

Originally Posted by Emissary52
P.S. Volusiano - Could I possibly interest you in a piano swap? My YDP-160 is certainly a lot lighter, if nothing else!!!! grin

LOL, I guess Nguyen also told you about my DP, or maybe you found out from my other posts. Unfortunately it isn't mine free and clear. I co-own it with my adult daughter for now, until she pays me back for the whole thing, at which point it will become 100% hers. As an adult beginner, I wouldn't be worthy of owning such a DP all for myself. But my daughter is the advanced pianist in the family who could justify such a purchase.

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Emissary52] #1406013
03/29/10 03:22 AM
03/29/10 03:22 AM
V
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Volusiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
V

Thank you so much for that info mom3gram! I'm definitely going to get the Adult Book 2.

I don't think you'll regret it if you like to have many books for references and a variety of flavors. It has 16 units and totals around 200 pages for only under $18 retail, so a good deal. It looks like Amazon is selling it for only $13 right now and it's eligible for free shipping on orders over $25.

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano] #1406115
03/29/10 08:59 AM
03/29/10 08:59 AM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
I don't think I would have the patience of Nguyen to go back to the beginning again. The thought of doing "Row,Row,Row Your Boat" or something on that level, after having gotten through (hopefully in the next couple of months) "Amazing Grace" or that simplified "The Entertainer" towards the end of Alfred's 1, would leave me "suicidally depressed". LOL!
Emissary, you have a very good sense of humor. thumb Now that you’ve decided to get the Adult 2 book, I hope you’ll join us and be part of this study group/discussion as well. Your sense of humor will keep it interesting, I’m sure.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1406160
03/29/10 10:09 AM
03/29/10 10:09 AM
New Jersey
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

New Jersey
Does this mean that I can post about my adventures with the PA Adult book here too? I don't think any/many of the pieces match the ones in the basic (kids') book, but on the other hand, I would like another place where I can post with other people at my ability level - which I think of as "remedial advanced beginner".

Right how, I'm working on "American Fiddle Tune", which is a simplified version of "Turkey in the Straw". You would probably not like this one, Volusiano, but I find it fun. It's in the G pentascale (PA does like to emphasize pentascales), and after I learn it well, they want me to transpose it to the C pentascale. They do this with a lot of pieces, and since I don't have a teacher, I'm guessing that I just move my fingers to the new pentascale and play (without looking at the keys) as if I were playing the original version. Usually I can do this fine, but sometimes I get a little confused.

The next piece is a theme from Mozart's "Sonata in A Major", a little more "grown up" sounding than "Turkey in the Straw", and then there are about three pages of exercises and theory.

I like having more than one book to work from. Some of the other books I have are:
Bastien Basic Piano level 1
Alfred Basic Piano level 1B
Joy of First Year Piano
Essential Piano Repertoire - primer level
and several Faber Pre-time to Big-Time books (not sure of the level). I think I have the Popular, Classic, and Jazz and Blues - maybe level 2

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram] #1406469
03/29/10 03:54 PM
03/29/10 03:54 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Does this mean that I can post about my adventures with the PA Adult book here too?
Yes mom3gram. That’d do wonders to this study group. You, ROMagister & Emissary man the adult ship, attracting potential PA adult students. Let JimF, Zenobe, KrAYZEE and I share our Basic experiences and try to keep the Basic series alive.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1406841
03/30/10 02:17 AM
03/30/10 02:17 AM
V
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Volusiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
V

I've played both the pieces in the Adult version and also all the pieces in the Performance books of the Basic version. There are some overlapping pieces, but not a whole lot. Maybe 5-10% only if I remember correctly.

Also FYI, there's a thread in the PW teachers' forum that talks about listing out pros and cons of the PA Basic series. You guys may find it interesting reading. Mainly the teachers have a lot more pros than cons.

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano] #1407000
03/30/10 09:48 AM
03/30/10 09:48 AM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Volusiano
…Also FYI, there's a thread in the PW teachers' forum that talks about listing out pros and cons of the PA Basic series. You guys may find it interesting reading. Mainly the teachers have a lot more pros than cons.
Thanks Volusiano. I'm following that thread for a few days now. It’s an interesting discussion, very insightful.

I have found, through various discussions mainly here at PW that sticking with one method isn’t the best way to go. Teachers seem to agree that certain methods progress students in some aspects but lag on others. Zenobe is doing it best I think, picking one as structure while supplementing it with various other materials. This hopefully covers all bases. The problem is time. How do we do all this with what little time we have? Not to mention a big junk of that little time is spent here at PW too. laugh Well… we can try to do our best...

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1407460
03/30/10 09:08 PM
03/30/10 09:08 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Well, time for my 2A weekly update.

Last night wasn’t the best of nights. It was pouring, quite windy and depressingly wet here in eastern Mass, but lesson was productive. Last week assignments, Our Detective Agency pg. 22 and Storms on Saturn pg.24 were checked off. I also went ahead and did This Old Man (for R.H.) & This Old Man (for L.H.) on pg.27 and Pirate of the North Sea pg.28, all passed.

Next week assignments are George Washington’s Party pg. 30, Band on the Filed! pg. 31, and The Queen’s Royal Entrance pg. 32.

There are 2 Units left, 6 and 7, about 10 pages long. I'm looking forward to getting 2A over with, hopefully by mid-April and move onto 2B. grin

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1407768
03/31/10 11:16 AM
03/31/10 11:16 AM
Los Angeles
K
KrAYZEE Offline
KrAYZEE  Offline
K

Los Angeles
The Queen's Entrance is a good fun piece. Yay! for full triad chords. Don't forget to play it with pomp and circumstance.

I'd be excited to move to 2b. About half way through the music starts to get more interesting and fun to play.

Does your teacher have you do all the pieces in the book? We skip about a third of the pieces that are merely introductions to rhythm or theory concepts that I already understand from a lifetime of playing drums and 5 years of cello lessons.

Kurt

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: KrAYZEE] #1408098
03/31/10 07:29 PM
03/31/10 07:29 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Kurt, I will keep this in mind and try to play it with pomp and circumstance. Don’t really know how but I’m sure you’ve done it. Picture the circumstance in my head and then add pomp to it? Sound pretty tough to me...

Yes, my teacher has me do all the pieces, all the theories, whether I know them or not. Since I also decided to go back and restarted at a lower level, I’d like to through everything too. Admittedly, some of the pieces are painfully boring, or “suicidally depressing” as Emissary alluded to. I guess they have their purposes so I just plow through. I am alright so far, still in one piece, no sign of depression yet. laugh What are you working on?

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1408241
03/31/10 11:47 PM
03/31/10 11:47 PM
Los Angeles
K
KrAYZEE Offline
KrAYZEE  Offline
K

Los Angeles
I'm being witty (I hope) "Pomp and Circumstance" is the Elgar piece that is used as the processional that is played when students graduate. I just meant to play it grandly and regally; have fun with it.

Kurt

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Emissary52] #1408482
04/01/10 09:23 AM
04/01/10 09:23 AM
New Jersey
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

New Jersey
Report from PA Adult Book 1:
I started on "Theme by Mozart" yesterday, which is a simplified and shortened version of "Sonata in A Major" transposed into the key of G major. It didn't sound familiar, but I was pretty sure that I was playing it correctly, so I looked it up on youtube, and I was pretty much correct. Good to know! I still have a lot of work to do on it. Of course, the real version is much more beautiful and interesting, but I'm okay with playing simplified versions for now. At my age and limited ability, I may never get to the real versions. Next up are some theory and exercises. Not my favorite parts of the book, but I always do them.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram] #1408607
04/01/10 12:37 PM
04/01/10 12:37 PM
Newtown CT
Zenobe Offline
Zenobe  Offline

Newtown CT
Hi everyone - still chugging along in 3A. I've been all tied up in knots with things at work, working all hours day and night, and missed my customary 50 minutes of early morning practice the day of my lesson. That, combined with a stressful day at work and rushing directly to the piano studio, put me in a terrible frame of mind to sit down and play.

But my teacher was very understanding - she kept me on "Snowflake Rag" for another week. This will be my first piece since starting PA that has required 3 weeks, but I don't mind. I'm also working on a simple Beethoven Sonatina in G major, and a Handel piece called "Seven German Dances," both of which I love.

Oh, and I am also into Thompson book 2 as of last week, working in that also.

My teacher asked me last night if I want to be in the next recital in May. I skipped the last one in February, because the one in November was such a nightmare. (Hands shaking, terrible stage fright, practically forgot how to read the notes on the staff.) But she said she wants me to do it. I told her I would think about it.

I hope everyone is well, and enjoying their piano journey!

Ben

Piano Adventures 3A, Alfred AIO 2
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Zenobe] #1410137
04/03/10 03:20 PM
04/03/10 03:20 PM
Flowerpoddess Offline
Flowerpoddess  Offline

I originally sent this to Nyguen through PM, however I want to place an order for the books I want and I'm not getting any response so I thought someone here could help me.

What exactly is a repertoire book? I am really new at piano so I don't know all I need to know.

I see that sight reading is another thing, I would have to look into, is that the same as note speller? I don't really get ear training, well I know it's to train the ear to recognise a chord, but these books should come with a CD of some sort right? How important is it for me to start ear-training at the beginning stage. I've seen a book that doesn't have a CD and claims to train the ear, does this work?

In the PA series, there are technique and artistry books, what are those about? I mean I get techniques but as I have no idea what I'd learn, is it really worth the buy or what type of things would we be taught?

When starting with PA basic, should I start with the Primer level or level 1? Nyguen mentioned Primer level is for ages 5 - 6.

Which of this book from the basic series contains the CD or is that sold seperately too? Like, Alfred book has some sound clips for those who are missing the CD, does PA has that?

Thank you!
Flowerpoddess

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Flowerpoddess] #1410184
04/03/10 05:00 PM
04/03/10 05:00 PM
New Jersey
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

New Jersey
I'll try to answer some of your questions, but Nguyen has the books so he will do a better job of it when he seems your PM.

Repertoire book - this is a book that just has pieces in it. They are longer and more interesting than the ones in the lesson book.

Sight reading - being able to read and play music that you have never seen before on the first try. Most people are evidently not very good at this judging from all the threads about it on Piano World. I used to worry about it because it seemed important, but I think most people are confusing "sight reading" with "reading music". Reading music is what we are are trying to learn how to do. A note speller can help. (A notespeller is a workbook where they have you write the note names under the notes, or draw the notes above provided note names). The disadvantage of doing this on your own is that you don't know if your answers are correct. Playing lots of different music at or a little below your level will help. Using one of the note or key trainer games online help a lot too.

I'm not so sure what ear training consists of, but that's an area where I could definitely use some help myself.

Technique and Artistry books, I think, have exercises in them. Most methods have a technique book with practice exercises to help you develop finger control and accuracy. PA goes one step further and has exercises to develop "musicality". I've only seen a couple of pages from the primer one, so Nguyen would be the one to give you more info on that.

I hope I've helped a little.

As to which level to start with - I'm not sure where you are in your studies. I don't think you would need to start with Primer. Maybe level 1 or 2a? If you look online at sheetmusicplus.com you can see a page or two of each to judge if it looks too easy or too hard.

Last edited by mom3gram; 04/03/10 05:03 PM.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Flowerpoddess] #1410193
04/03/10 05:11 PM
04/03/10 05:11 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Flowerpoddess
What exactly is a repertoire book? I am really new at piano so I don't know all I need to know.
Flowerpoddess, I have replied your PM. I wanted to reply earlier but once I get started, my Son needs me here and there so I couldn't put everything together until now. I’ll just post my answers here again and hope others will chime in if I’m incorrect or miss anything

A repertoire book is a book consists of popular pieces/songs; pieces that were written by many other composers that we know/like too, not just the authors of, say, Piano Adventures. These are real pieces/songs Flowerpoddess. They aren’t lesson pieces written for the purpose of training certain concepts/skills.

I see that sight reading is another thing, I would have to look into, is that the same as note speller? I don't really get ear training, well I know it's to train the ear to recognise a chord, but these books should come with a CD of some sort right? How important is it for me to start ear-training at the beginning stage. I've seen a book that doesn't have a CD and claims to train the ear, does this work?
Sight reading will help you improve your music reading skills. I am not sure if it’s the same as Note Speller but I know it’s for reading exercises. I don’t know how important to do ear training now but I know it doesn’t hurt to improve all aspects of music. One thing I know though, it’s hard to do ear training without a teacher or learning partner.

In the PA series, there are technique and artistry books, what are those about? I mean I get techniques but as I have no idea what I'd learn, is it really worth the buy or what type of things would we be taught?
Technique & Artistry books aren’t must have but they wouldn’t hurt. These are similar to finger/dynamic/expressive exercises. They further add musical skills to you lesson books.

When starting with PA basic, should I start with the Primer level or level 1? Nguyen mentioned Primer level is for ages 5 - 6.
Depend on your skill level. If you start from scratch, you need the Primer level. If you know where your skill level is, then pick the level that corresponds with your skill. I’d advise going with the Primer, and review if you are above this level, or learn if you are a true beginner.

Which of this book from the basic series contains the CD or is that sold seperately too? Like, Alfred book has some sound clips for those who are missing the CD, does PA has that?
The CD is separate. I don’t know if PA has lessons on youtube. I don’t check lessons on youtube but rather use the CD, learn from my teacher, or figure it out myself. Hopefully someone else can help you with the youtube recordings part.

Finally, if you study without a teacher, I would not advise the Basic series. The Adult books are better suited for self-teaching than the Basic. Please don’t ask me why. I really don’t know why. It’s just a gut feeling. Maybe Volusiano can answer the “why”. smile

If you have more questions, please don’t hesitate to post them here again, or PM.

Best of luck Flowerpoddess.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1410395
04/03/10 10:34 PM
04/03/10 10:34 PM
V
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Volusiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
V

Flowerpoddess, FYI, you can probably get a lot of information about the PA books from their own website, www.pianoadventures.com. There's all kinds of information there for students and teachers, and there's a forum there as well. I think they sell the CD bundled version of the books as an option to just the books alone, for more money, of course.

As for ear training, I'm not aware if any of the PA books specifically focuses on that. As a total beginner, there's a lot to learn before ear training becomes important. But if you're interested, the www.musictheory.net web site has some interval, scale and chord ear trainer exercises in the Trainers section if you want to explore it. I'd say you should at least know some of the fundamentals of what intervals, scales and chords are before exploring this, of course.

As for which books are better if you plan to go alone without a teacher, I wouldn't necessarily say the Adults are better than the Basic for self-teaching. On the contrary, the Basic has a lot more content, so I think it'd be more helpful that you explore as much material as possible to replace for the fact that you don't have a teacher to guide you through the learning. I think Nguyen might have just come to that conclusion because he heard that I used the Adult series by myself without a teacher, so he just assumed. But that's only because I wanted to cut to the chase and move through the materials as quickly as I could, and the Adult series is kind of a more condensed version with only 2 combined books for the whole series, instead of 5 levels like the Basic is and 4 books at each level to boost. So I didn't actually base my choice on the Adult series for self-learning reasons. And even though I learned without a teacher, I did have very easy access to a teacher if I had quick questions or wanted feedback on things, and that made a difference. The reason I went the self-learn route was only because I wanted to go at my own pace and not be stuck to a schedule with another person.

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano] #1416092
04/12/10 10:04 PM
04/12/10 10:04 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Last week was a busy holiday week so teacher and I decided lesson be canceled to free us up a little. Today lesson was refreshing. All my assignments passed and I’m up to the middle of Unit 6. There are the last half of Unit 6 and Unit 7 left. At this pace, my 2A won’t be done until sometime in May instead of mid-April I originally hoped.

It seems there aren’t that many PA students here. I guess if it’s this quiet and I’m the only participant trying to keep this thread alive, I’ll probably let it dies out. :sigh:

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1416192
04/13/10 01:35 AM
04/13/10 01:35 AM
Flowerpoddess Offline
Flowerpoddess  Offline

Mom3gram - Thank you for responding!

I guess I don't need the repertoire book for now as I have the song book that comes with my keyboard that has the full song of some songs?

Reading music - Do all notespellers come with no answers or something? It's just the notes on the staff right like EGBDF right? I looked into the book by Snell and I couldn't look inside the book so not too sure about notespeller.

What is sight reading?

I saw this one book that did not have any CD but it said "ear training" in the book description.

Techniqnue and Artistry book does seem interesting.

You have helped a lot!!

The Primer level and the Level 1 almost look the same so I don't know . . . .

Nguyen - Do programs and such make it easier to develop ear training since I'm a teacher?

Thank you for taking your time to answer me and the encouragement! Btw, are you Asian?

Volusiano - Thank you for helping me out smile

I looked up their website before posting my questions but it had so many series and looked so similar on sheetmusicplus.com

When I mentioned about the ear training I was actually refer to other books not ones from PA. But, I believe you are right as in I don't understand anything lol and I think I need to know all that you mentioned . . . intervals, scales etc.

Thank you for your input on why you've chosed the Adult series.

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Flowerpoddess] #1416195
04/13/10 01:38 AM
04/13/10 01:38 AM
Flowerpoddess Offline
Flowerpoddess  Offline

# Piano Adventures Theory Book, Primer
# (Theory Book). For piano. Faber Piano Adventures. This book is divided into ten units, correlating with the Lesson Book. Each unit reinforces basic theory concepts through writing, sightreading, and ear-training activities. General Theory. Primer. Instructional book. Instructional text, instructional text and illustrations. 48 pages. Faber Music #FF1076. Published by Faber Music (HL.420169)

It says right there that there is ear-training activities, how is this possible? Does it rely on the CD?

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/look_inside/13467/image/2087

That page shows something about the teacher duet and all, that's confusing and the whole bar looks intimidating . . . does it matter as I'm feeling skeptical that I'd need help . . .

Last edited by Flowerpoddess; 04/13/10 01:43 AM.
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1416490
04/13/10 01:34 PM
04/13/10 01:34 PM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Nguyen

I've been quiet because I finished the Faber piece (Phantom of the Keys). It was a lot of fun to play and I'm sure a generation of little phenoms in the USA have played it at their Halloween recitals. Since then I also learned and put to bed a piece from a series of books by Melody Bober, an Aussie teacher/author that has written many nice original pieces. I think my teachers assigns these in between more difficult baroque,classical,romantic era assignments to give me a break and keep me motivated. On my own I picked up the PA 1 and a Bober book to use strictly for sightreading practice.

Anyway, I'd encourage you to keep the thread open, as it makes a handy place for folks to hear about various early repertoire other than the Alfred stuff.

Jim

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Flowerpoddess] #1416808
04/14/10 12:39 AM
04/14/10 12:39 AM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Hi Flowerpoddess,

You have a lot of questions and some of them have already been answered but I sense you’re still unsure. I will try to answer all your questions as detail as possible and to the best of my knowledge this time, so this will be quite long.

Reading music - Do all notespellers come with no answers or something? It's just the notes on the staff right like EGBDF right? I looked into the book by Snell and I couldn't look inside the book so not too sure about notespeller.
For Notespeller, my Alfred Adult 1 Notespeller book has exercises to learn note names, where they are on the staffs and keyboard in various positions, intervals, chords, scales etc… To me, it’s an extended version of the Theory book. So yes, it’s ABCDEFG with exercises to name them so on and so forth. There are no answers. I think the book intends for teachers to give answers.

What is sight reading?

I saw this one book that did not have any CD but it said "ear training" in the book description.
Sight Reading is the ability to read music you have not seen and be able to know what they are, how it goes… It’s the ability to play an unknown piece/song pretty decently without prior practice. The Alfred Adult 1 Sight Reading book I have teaches Notes, Note Values, Rhythm, counting, singing those notes etc… There are many exercises teaching to read the grand staffs, clap and count their notes, read and say their names, read and sing their names. It gradually moves you into intervals, scales, chords, positions and practice them as above, read, clap, count, say, sing etc… This is also, to me, an extended version of the Theory/Lesson book.

Techniqnue and Artistry book does seem interesting.
The PA Technique & Artistry book is very similar to the Lesson book. It adds more finger, dynamic, expression exercises. For example, if the lesson is training you forte (loud) and piano (soft), Technique & Artistry will have a few more pieces/songs to emphasize these same techniques and concepts, with more descriptions and instructions. It’s very similar to the Alfred Adult 1 Finger Aerobics Book I have. The purpose of this book is to train your hand, fingers and musicality beyond the Lesson book.

The Primer level and the Level 1 almost look the same so I don't know . . . .
Primer and Level 1 are not the same. Primer introduces you to the keyboard, value, rhythms, dynamics, time signatures, staffs, steps & skips, note names… Level 1 builds on that. If you’re a true beginner, in my opinion, I don’t think you should skip Primer.

Nguyen - Do programs and such make it easier to develop ear training since I'm a teacher?
What programs are you referring to? I’m very positive there are a lot of ear training programs online but I’m more traditional, I only study with books and CDs. I haven’t signed up for anything online yet or even go the Youtube route. If you’re asking if there are programs to train ears, I’m sure there are and many members here in the ABF use them too. I hope they will chime in. The ear training in PA Theory book is designed to train with a teacher or study partner. For example, a friend or teacher will play the exercise; you listen and look for what he/she just played. I know it will go beyond this but for up to 2A, that’s how my teacher & I’ve been doing based on this book.

# Piano Adventures Theory Book, Primer
# (Theory Book). For piano. Faber Piano Adventures. This book is divided into ten units, correlating with the Lesson Book. Each unit reinforces basic theory concepts through writing, sightreading, and ear-training activities. General Theory. Primer. Instructional book. Instructional text, instructional text and illustrations. 48 pages. Faber Music #FF1076. Published by Faber Music (HL.420169)

It says right there that there is ear-training activities, how is this possible? Does it rely on the CD?
The ear-training activities you see in this description refers to the ear-training included the Theory book. Yes, PA theory book has ear-training. In order for you to train your ears, as I have mentioned above, someone else has to play it though. You listen, and figure out what exercise just played. The CD only has Lesson pieces/songs, not thing else.

That page shows something about the teacher duet and all, that's confusing and the whole bar looks intimidating . . . does it matter as I'm feeling skeptical that I'd need help . . .
Teacher duet is a part of all lesson pieces. You don’t have to have a duet but with duet, it’s more musical and rich.

Solo lesson is quite boring at times. Teacher duet, I guess makes it more fun and musical, helps motivate and inspire us; it sheds some light, let us see the beauties of music at the end of the tunnel.

Have you noticed that there are no PA Notespeller or Sight-Reading books? The PA Lesson, Theory and Artistry books should already have all these.

If you self-teach, pick a study group like the Alfred Adult thread, this study group, or some other forum group study you find more suitable. That way, there are encouragements and motivations along the way. These study groups also help guide you with questions and other obstacles. So yes, I’d advice either get the Alfred Adult 1 book or one of the PAs (Adult or Basic) so you have someone to hang around with for questions and answers. If you have to pick something else, make sure to decide if you want to go with a teacher or find a study group first.

To conclude, these are what I think you should do:

(1) Buy the Alfred All-In-One Adult Book 1 if you decide to study with the Alfred study group. This is everything you need to get started. Later on, when you have gained more experience and if you read these threads here in ABF often, you will definitely know what books you need next.

(2) Buy the Piano Adventures All-In-One Adult Book 1 if you decide to study with this PA study group but want simplicity. Everything should include in this book. You don’t need anything else to get started. And like above, the better you get, the better you know what skill/training/weakness to improve and what books to get.

(3) Buy the Piano Adventures Primer if you are a true beginner. You only need the Primer Lesson and Primer Theory books. You do not need anything else. The more you keep thinking about all the books, I can see the more confused you get. Just get these 2 books and get started. You can always go back and add the Technique and Artistry book later. If you can afford it, you certainly can get it now and if you don’t like, just don’t get it in the future.

Please bear in mind that these are the only 2 methods I’m familiar with. I have not come across any reviews, suggestions or advices stating there’s one single best method out there.

My bottom line, just to pick one, get your piano journey going, and add to it later on when you are better, more knowledgeable and ready for more.

I hope I have answered everything. Best of luck!

P.S.
Btw, are you Asian?
Yes, I’m of Vietnamese descent. My member name should already give that away smile

Last edited by Nguyen; 04/14/10 12:52 AM.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: JimF] #1416984
04/14/10 09:44 AM
04/14/10 09:44 AM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Originally Posted by JimF
...Anyway, I'd encourage you to keep the thread open, as it makes a handy place for folks to hear about various early repertoire other than the Alfred stuff.
Alright Jim. I'll try to keep it alive and hope more will join. It's just silly I'm the only one talking, reporting... to myself. ha I can only try for so long if there's not enough participation...

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1417332
04/14/10 04:42 PM
04/14/10 04:42 PM
Los Angeles
K
KrAYZEE Offline
KrAYZEE  Offline
K

Los Angeles
Nguyen,

I'm still keeping an eye on things here. I'm not a big poster so I may not be much help in keeping the thread on the first page.

I've been in the middle of a re-model that's turning into a nightmare so I haven't been playing as much as before and as such things are moving more slowly. I'm still practicing the Dvorak "From the New World" which I adore playing. I've just about got The Duke of York which follows it. All it needs is a little more dynamics and speed and I'll call it done. The Dvorak may very well get played at MY FIRST RECITAL! In june, at a lovely performance hall on the campus of Loyola Marymount here in Los Angeles. I'll also get to play my first Steinway grand piano. Unfortunately it may land on the same time and date as my recorder concert.

speaking of the recorder concert, I have a rehearsal to get to.

Kurt

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Emissary52] #1417998
04/15/10 02:25 PM
04/15/10 02:25 PM
Virginia
G
GreatPaws Offline
GreatPaws  Offline
G

Virginia
Hi!
I'm very glad to have found this group. I just finished Faber book 1 but it's the Adult Piano Adventures All in One book. How does that book compare to people talking about books 3, 4, 5, etc? Do the two book series have the same content? I'm in Faber 2 AIO but we skip around alot and supplement quite a bit with Faber's PlayPiano Classics series. I have the Alfred books but don't like their explanations very much. I just use them to practice sight reading new music.
My own piano teacher and my friend with her masters in Piano Performance both strongly prefer the Faber books so that's why I use them.

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: GreatPaws] #1418152
04/15/10 06:53 PM
04/15/10 06:53 PM
Flowerpoddess Offline
Flowerpoddess  Offline

Nguyen - Thank you for taking your time to further elaborate to me!

I guess the answers were given but as I'm just starting out and I don't have much help at all, I'm pretty confused.

I would say I'm a true beginner though I learned a little about the key notes several years ago. I never did learn learn half steps though I know what they are now from reading, though I've never tried it or reached that stage yet. Thank you for letting me know what's included in the prime and how it differs from the Level 1!

You mentioned that Piano Adventures does not have any notespellers, you weren't talking about this right http://pianoadventures.com/publications/books/readMusic.html That seems to be supplemental.

Thank you for explaining the difference between notespellers and sight-reading books, as I haven't heard of them before and came across of them in this forum! It's all very new to me.

I was looking through the stuff in my comp and found the PDF copy of Alfred's All-In-One and I think the instructions were pretty clear but I can see why you bought Notespellers and Sight-reading books, as there is "not much" exercise or focus on certain stages.

I get the ear-training now, thanks!

The reason I was asking about which to buy at one go is cause I'm buying them from US and having them shipped along with other purchases would be so much cheaper than buying them individually.

Yes, I’m of Vietnamese descent. My member name should already give that away smile

Ah, I see. I just didn't know which sort of Asian, I would have guessed Korean but I would have been wrong lol. Do you speak Vietnamese? I'm Asian too and from Asia.

Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Flowerpoddess] #1418241
04/15/10 10:51 PM
04/15/10 10:51 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Kurt,
Ah… Re-modeling *yuck* I’ve been through that myself around '05 - '06. Lots of fun but I’ve gotten quite some gray hair nowadays as a result! Best with your recital.

GreatPaws,
Welcome to the ABF and especially this study group. I’m delighted you are following PA. I’m not familiar with the Adult series. I think there are only a few pieces that are similar. Some members here also follow the Adult series so I hope they will chime in. Please hang around and share your PA journey with us.

Flowerpoddess,
You’re very welcome. And when I talked about notespeller, I was not aware PA has these books. It’s indeed overwhelming with all the methods and books. I’m impressed with all the questions you have though. You’re doing your homework well.

Like you, I also started out self-teach. I spent hours and hours going through Amazon reviews and we all know how that is, simply mind boggling. After days of contemplating, I finally just picked an Adult method with the most reviews, good and bad, Alfred. smile It was not until about 6-7 months later that I found out Piano World. If I have known this place sooner, I don’t think I’d have struggled with all the method choices that much.

This is strictly my personal view and has nothing to do with what’s good, better or best, I truly believe Piano Adventures will get you off to a good start.

Talk about all the books, you wouldn’t believe how many I have collected just over a year of piano. I’d say at least 30 of them. How many have I really studied and thoroughly completed? About 3. smile I dabble with all of them but I have found there are really no benefits jumping all over the place. Finally I decided I’d pick a few and put all my focus into them. I guess my point is just buy the few must have. The rest are nice to have but often time, you won’t even get to them. Let us know how you do and what you pick.

Last edited by Nguyen; 04/15/10 11:01 PM.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen] #1438721
05/17/10 11:21 PM
05/17/10 11:21 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
I finally graduated 2A last week on May 11. The first 2 pieces of 2B are quite easy. My teacher also assigned "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" from the 2B Popular Repertoire book. It's nice to finally play/practice a piece that's not a lesson piece. Though the pop. rep. pieces are much harder they are also real pieces, more musical and more fun to play.

I don't have time to check in here or post as often anymore but I do try to practice daily. Hope everyone is doing well. Happy practice.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,342
Posts2,761,353
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission