2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 55 of 341 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 340 341
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Beeboss
Do you have a favourite jazz key ?
I’m curious because I know that you’re also a classical musician.
I think Chopin used Ab major a lot. Maybe he thought it sounded romantic.
And I reckon Brahms is amazing. I didn’t think that A major was a particularly interesting key until I heard his Intermezzo. He manages to make this major key sound pensive and mysterious.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
BTW Wiz - Go ahead and post Green Dolphin St. I know the tune and I'm sure many others do. Although I already know it, I'm challenged to think of how to do it in Solo piano. I would be glad to get ideas. Maybe like a drone bass note.

It's been years since I've played it so I just tried to recall it today.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by custard apple
Hi Beeboss
Do you have a favourite jazz key ?
I’m curious because I know that you’re also a classical musician.
I think Chopin used Ab major a lot. Maybe he thought it sounded romantic.
And I reckon Brahms is amazing. I didn’t think that A major was a particularly interesting key until I heard his Intermezzo. He manages to make this major key sound pensive and mysterious.

Well I do like Brahms's Em cello sonata rather a lot, but no I don't have a favourite key. Maybe if I had perfect pitch it would have more relevance to me.
I think I like ambiguous tonality the best.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I didn’t think that A major was a particularly interesting key until I heard his Intermezzo. He manages to make this major key sound pensive and mysterious.

Are you one of those people that hears different colours/tones/something inexplicable in different keys? I knew someone like that in university and she had perfect pitch. I myself wouldn't know what key a piece was in unless I had a reference (relative pitch).

I do know that if I normally play a piece in one key, and shift to another slightly higher or slightly lower then that can shape my thoughts as to whether the new key is 'lighter' or 'darker'.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
I got round to doing a bit of 'Very Early' in 5 today. Just experimenting with some different ideas, dividing up the 5 in different ways. Its hard not to make any complete clangers! I put some bass down to play over which helped keep me in time a bit.
http://www.divshare.com/download/11384811-a4e

Cool stuff here. I hear Giant Steps stuff in your first four bars, was that intended? I also like your feel on this take. It seems you're really looking at playing behind the beat. Was that your intent?

Some odd things I've been working on are combining unlikely tunes. For instance, since I was working on Nefertiti last, and VE recently, I put them together. It's surprising how well they fit (Nef melody with VE chords, slightly modified, with roots the same).

This idea came from the practice of referencing ie using bits of melodies of known tunes in your solos. In any case, I've found it really has helped me understand melody and chords in a different way.

I'll post a recording if I have a chance.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi scep
I can't even begin to tell you how relatively untrained my ear is compared to all of yours. Maybe I will blame it on my visual classical background ! I only know what key a song is when I look at the lead sheet or the score. AFTER I analyse a song, I DO hear different moods in different phrases, e.g. for me, Autumn Leaves alternates between happy and sad.

Beeboss
What are some examples of ambiguous tonality ? e.g. A minor ?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by jazzwee
BTW Wiz - Go ahead and post Green Dolphin St. I know the tune and I'm sure many others do. Although I already know it, I'm challenged to think of how to do it in Solo piano. I would be glad to get ideas. Maybe like a drone bass note.

It's been years since I've played it so I just tried to recall it today.

I've been playing it the last few days. My buddy asked for his recording device back so sadly I can't post anything.

Herbie Hancock does a wonderful solo version of it on an old album called The Piano. It's all solo stuff, he does Someday my prince will come as well. See if you can find it. Very sparse but totally Hancock.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Speaking of keys, I do find certain moods relate to different keys. The flats like Bb, Eb, Db have a mellow, warm feel, like chicken soup. C major is like plain vanilla.

G and D major (#) is like that fresh Australian chardonnay. Ab would be that rich Shiraz. And B major is like that long lost cousin who you can never remember! Can't think of the last time I played a tune in B! haha

I don't have perfect pitch either but can hear differences between flat and sharp.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I play in C# a lot, but find that Db is too dark for me. smile

I think differences are more evident in Baroque instruments, and particularly unfretted stringed instruments. I believe when you have no frets the way you approach different notes may affect the tuning. Keys like E, A, D, G will sound slightly different than Eb, Ab etc. Come to think of it, when playing valve instruments the same kind of thing applies, but with different considerations (I play lots of instruments). But hopefully on piano, assuming your piano tuner knows what he is doing, will equalize the temperment, making every key sound like the next. So, for those with good ears, when accompanying a stringed or valve/brass instrument, you may find that some keys do sound brighter, and some darker, or some happier etc.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
lol wiz, chicken soup !!!! I must admit I hadn't thought of Bb, Eb, Db that way.

Scep et al
I know you joke around sometimes but what is the difference between C# and Db ? C# major is a very happy and rich sounding key to my ears, but with even the mention of Db, I believe that my mind already anticipates serious even before I hear one note of the song.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I know you joke around sometimes but what is the difference between C# and Db ? C# major is a very happy and rich sounding key to my ears, but with even the mention of Db, I believe that my mind already anticipates serious even before I hear one note of the song.

How can there be a difference when your fingers are pressing the same buttons and the instrument is vibrating the same strings?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Beeboss
What are some examples of ambiguous tonality ? e.g. A minor ?

I suppose I meant pieces which are beyond a 'classical' sense of tonality. Like Messiaen, Shostakovich, Ligeti, and most modern jazz. Basically I like stuff with has lots of rich harmony.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted by beeboss
I got round to doing a bit of 'Very Early' in 5 today. Just experimenting with some different ideas, dividing up the 5 in different ways. Its hard not to make any complete clangers! I put some bass down to play over which helped keep me in time a bit.
http://www.divshare.com/download/11384811-a4e

Cool stuff here. I hear Giant Steps stuff in your first four bars, was that intended? I also like your feel on this take. It seems you're really looking at playing behind the beat. Was that your intent?

I guess I can see a similarity between VE and giant steps, they have the same kind of approach to harmony. A product of the time I guess. Maybe Coltrane was influenced by Bill's approach, maybe he even played VE, who knows. Certainly they were playing together in the months before Giant Steps was recorded.
I was trying to lay back on the time because I noticed that I was rushing a bit, probably as I am not that good at playing in 5. If you try to record just 1/8s over the bassline you may well find that it is not easy to keep it 100% in time.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Beeboss, I'm glad I have confirmation from a professional that there isn't a difference. I always write my chords thinking C# major but I notice that most jazz people tend to write chords using Db. So is it primarily an issue of preference ?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've never thought of the key of C#. It seems really odd.
C#, D#, E#, F#, G#, A#, B#, C#
I guess on a chromatic harmonica it would be easier thinking C# than Db.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Beeboss, I'm glad I have confirmation from a professional that there isn't a difference. I always write my chords thinking C# major but I notice that most jazz people tend to write chords using Db. So is it primarily an issue of preference ?

Hi Custard, it is only my view that the changes are purely notational, others maybe feel differently, and that is only for the piano. as others have said, when you have real fretless strings involved there is a different relationship to the tempered scale. String players microtune to get a more perfect tuning than is possible on the piano.
Personally I prefer thinking of flat keys, they are more jazz!

(btw technically I am an ex-professional)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
beeboss,

I think telling Cus to start thinking in Db instead of C# might be a good piece of advice. I'm pretty sure calling A Train in C# will get you some laughs. I'm pretty sure Ella called it Db. And chords such as D#-7, E#-7 and B#-7b5 aren't that common in the real book. smile

But yeah, if you play some instruments that just makes it easier to think sharps rather than flats (like a chromatic harp), then that might become relevant to learn those odd chords.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by knotty

But yeah, if you play some instruments that just makes it easier to think sharps rather than flats (like a chromatic harp), then that might become relevant to learn those odd chords.

Thats it. Trumpets and saxophones prefer flat keys, and guitars prefer sharp keys (well E A D and G at least). Thats why jazz tunes are usually in Bb F and Eb and rock tunes in E and A

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
BTW - Beeboss, I was just trying My Romance in 5/4 and the nice thing I'm finding about odd time signatures is that it changes your phrasing. I find it refreshing.

Now VE is probably too jerky in 5/4 for my taste but in general, the mixing of a 3/4 with a 4/4 or 2/4 is good for shaking one out of a routine. I'm really enjoying it.

On Giant Steps vs. VE: It's funny that you guys say that now but when I first introduced VE as a suggested tune a while back, I said it was "Giant-Steps-Like".

I found though that I'm not yet able to come up with interesting melodies on Giant Steps. You did a great job with it. It's like there's not enough beats to develop the idea. Any tips on approaching this?

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
BTW - Beeboss, I was just trying My Romance in 5/4 and the nice thing I'm finding about odd time signatures is that it changes your phrasing. I find it refreshing.

Now VE is probably too jerky in 5/4 for my taste but in general, the mixing of a 3/4 with a 4/4 or 2/4 is good for shaking one out of a routine. I'm really enjoying it.

Excellent. I never tried that in 5 but why not? I always find it forces me to try some different things.I usually prefer 7 though, its easier.

I found though that I'm not yet able to come up with interesting melodies on Giant Steps. You did a great job with it. It's like there's not enough beats to develop the idea. Any tips on approaching this?

Just play the difficult bars very slowly over and over and over. Write out a line over it and learn it. Do that 10 times. Then do it all again and again. I try to think arpeggios or pentatonics on those difficult bits.

Last edited by beeboss; 05/17/10 12:18 PM.
Page 55 of 341 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission