2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
...expressing disappointment.

Interesting to see how much disappointment there is on the digital forum with digital and software pianos and how little disappointment there is on the (acoustic) piano forum and the pianist's corner and the teacher's forum with acoustic pianos. Hmmm. Wonder why that is?

Just played a 1980's upright piano with plastic keys, made me want my DP back! I've been SOOOO disappointed with acoustic pianos, there's just nothing like that 96khz sample playback that never goes out of tune.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by theJourney
...expressing disappointment.

Interesting to see how much disappointment there is on the digital forum with digital and software pianos and how little disappointment there is on the (acoustic) piano forum and the pianist's corner and the teacher's forum with acoustic pianos. Hmmm. Wonder why that is?

I'm disappointed that you're disappointed. No wait. I'm actually not disappointed that you're disappointed. I suspect that you're not being forced to read the threads expressing disappointment. Stop reading the threads expressing disappointment, and perhaps you will no longer feel disappointment, and that you need to post about feeling disappointment, thus contributing to yet more expression of disappointment.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Disappointing.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney

Perhaps it's the insane levels of hype surrounding DPs generating unreasonable expectation? Go on-line or read the literature and the next thing you know you'll find yourself wandering the isles of Guitar Center, banging on plastic boxes with $10 of electronics inside, searching for souls. They promise you a lover but you end up with a blow up doll.

SWPs & DPs promise to recreate the AP experience, but usually fall flat in one or more critical ways. With DPs we've have had literally decades of criminally tiny samples. With SWPs we get uneven sample sets and semi-broken playback engines. I'm kind of surprised every morning when I wake up to find that no one has torched EastWest, and that there aren't angry mobs with pitchforks surrounding Yamaha HQ.

At least with an AP what you see is what you get: a box, some strings, a pile of wood, and some felt. The keys and pedals generally work they way you expect, and it resonates. You can play all 88 notes without having any of them stolen, and you don't jump out of your skin when you play a key 0.1 g harder and hit a harsh velocity step.

There's also the "getting taken" factor, particularly with cabinetry DPs. Every incremental improvement to a feature makes the entire thing cost double. Want 8" speakers instead of 6.5"? That will be an extra $1k. Things like that can take all the fun out of what should be a pleasant acquisition experience.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The title of this thread reminds me of all those Considered Harmful CS papers from decades ago.

B
B
We just need to wait 5 more years, and I'm sure we'll see decent digital pianos with SSD storage inside and gigabytes of samples, mixed with some sophisticated algorithms, like Roland SN.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Play the AvantGrand N3 and many of the above expressed opinions will be changed. When Yamaha gets updated with their version of SuperNatural technology it will be pretty amazing. Once you've played an acoustic action combined with optical sensors, well there really is no turning back. Of course, for most of us, this cutting edge technology is too expensive at the moment.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Play the AvantGrand N3 and many of the above expressed opinions will be changed.

Exactly.

Those of us fortunate enough to spend some time on the Avant Grand N3, have realized all other digital pianos are basically the same; with varying degrees of authenticity of sound and action being the only difference.

Surely, this technology will drift down to the lower priced models eventually, and many more will have the opportunity to have the pleasure of using it.

I also believe that acoustic piano buyers get every bit as disappointed as digital purchasers...witness how many grands or uprights must be tried out before the right piano is found...therefore the ones rejected, would be disappointments.

Most acoustic buyers spend a lot of time finding the "right" instrument, and then spend a fair amount of money maintaining that degree of "rightness" over the time the piano is owned.

This forum of digital piano buyers/users is made up of a niche group of players/users, and we tend to be fussier than the general public, who mostly buy a digital piano the way they would buy a home theatre system, or even a refrigerator.

The fussiness can be seen in endless prattle about squiggly lines in relatively (but not totally) meaningless tests, and overindulgence in discussions on how one big three manufacturer (Roland Korg Yamaha) is "better" than another...let's face it, they are all very good...what varies is individual taste, musicianship level, monetary means, and availability of the product.

So, I tend to disagree that digital players/owners are more "disappointed" than acoustic players/users...the difference lies in the kind of disappointments, not their frequency.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
N
N
You are asking for trouble if you buy a cheap Chinese acoustic, unseen, untested based upon reviews by those with vested interests and expecting it to sound like a Steinway. How often does that happen? "Sounds and feels JUST like a perfectly tuned and maintained Steinway concert grand. Bring out the latent concert pianist in you". Am I missing the point? Seriously disappointed.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I thought based on what I read on this forum, people who made a careful purchase decision of their DP are generally happy with their choices. If they buy a new one to replace the old one, it's because they want a newer/better DP, not necessarily because they're disappointed with their old ones. Many threads about disappointment with DPs I see generally are by posters who are checking out new DPs and don't find them to meet their high expectation, either price-wise or feature-wise or sound-wise or feel-wise. But it doesn't necessarily mean those posters have bought those DPs and are disappointed with their purchase afterward.

N
N
I agree. Also, I think you need 10 years for this fledgling technology to catch up with its marketing. Just imagine some of the marketing if it was bound to absolute painful truth. Take a 15+ year-old DP and write some marketing spiel for it based on current DP experience. Now dig out the original poetic description and compare.

M
M
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
Most acoustic buyers spend a lot of time finding the "right" instrument, and then spend a fair amount of money maintaining that degree of "rightness" over the time the piano is owned.

or trying to find that "rightness" again when the piano is delivered and it doesn't sound the way it used to at the dealer (due to different tuning from the new tech, or temperature shocks in transit, or acoustics, etc. etc.).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NikkiPiano
I think you need 10 years for this fledgling technology to catch up with its marketing.

This has been my working theory too. We should all just keep our pants on until NAMM 2020, at which point the DP industry will be up to circa 2000, and we'll finally be able to get what we want.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
It's all about how much money you spend for either. Given unlimited funds I'd want a grand piano and a Roland V.

Otherwise I just don't think you can compare the two.

The privacy, portability and quiet of a digital (along with maintenance and tuning free) vs. the touch, warmth, responsiveness and general soul of an acoustic....

I have been really disappointed in acoustic pianos and digitals and thrilled with both

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Nikalette
It's all about how much money you spend for either. Given unlimited funds I'd want a grand piano and a Roland V.

I wouldn't want either a grand or a V-Piano. However, I would want an AvantGrand N3.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think when people are happy with something, they may not feel moved to write about it unless they are extremely happy. But if they are disappointed, feel ripped off, etc. and are aggrieved, they want to vent, and they're more likely to post. So if you read forums, letters to the editors, or whatever, the material you see may be skewed toward complaints.

Just a hypothesis.

Elene

N
N
Given unlimited funds? A detached house in the country. A few sound proofed rooms. A couple of concert grands all set up with CEUS technology. Tunings every other week... Had I won the recent £84 million lottery.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
cool

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Originally Posted by Nikalette

I wouldn't want either a grand or a V-Piano. However, I would want an AvantGrand N3.

I refuse to let myself try that instrument.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission