Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
69 registered members (90125, AprilE, AssociateX, Connor Price, ChatNoir, 2Be3, 18 invisible), 965 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 326 of 492 1 2 324 325 326 327 328 491 492
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2272301
05/07/14 09:09 AM
05/07/14 09:09 AM
Irvine CA
B
briansaddleback Offline
briansaddleback  Offline
B

Irvine CA
Spent last two weeks learning Dr Gradus ad Parnassum and now I can't play any of my scott joplin because I neglected them during that time.
Now I'm trying to learn golliwog cakewalk. It is easier than I thought it would be.

[Linked Image]
Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: briansaddleback] #2272388
05/07/14 12:53 PM
05/07/14 12:53 PM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
Cheryl - Congratulations on your breakthroughs. The ultra- slow playing is so hard to do, but it does pay off. I have to admit, I am not very consistent at it. I am realising that even after a piece is playable I need to return to it to confirm things. It sounds like you have a good handle on locking in the fingering and getting the preparation built in. That is great!

CarlosCC- I hope the tennis elbow heals quickly! That must be very frustrating to have to limit your playing time.

My AOTW is taking my exam scales from iffy at the beginning of the week to solid today. On Monday in my lesson I played them as my teacher called them out, and bombed more than a couple. It was a pretty serious wake up call, with my exam three weeks away. So, in the last 72 hours I have done a LOT of scales, and today, the scales were very consistent.

We talked about the fact that under pressure, you fall back on your training. If that training is inconsistent or haphazard, then you fall apart. So, consistent 100% accuracy in my pieces and scales is the only option for the next three weeks!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2272435
05/07/14 02:59 PM
05/07/14 02:59 PM
Virginia
G
g8orballboy Offline
g8orballboy  Offline
G

Virginia
I just got my new baby grand yesterday and was able to really sit down and play a piano for the first time in over a year. I haven't played consistently in over a decade. Muscle memory is a crazy thing. I still remembered a handful a pieces that came back to me after a couple attempts. Can't wait to start cleaning up some of my old pieces and learning some new ones. I just started learning Brian Crain's 'Water' last night. Its so fun to play again!

Young Chang Y150
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2272949
05/08/14 05:30 PM
05/08/14 05:30 PM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Jim - I have to say that there are a couple of things that I've just really been able to focus on at different level.

One has certainly been slowing down. I'm playing so slowly that there could be a count of several seconds before I depress the Keys. What is happening here is that as I go through the piece I am playing it so that every note, (albeit at a snail's pace) is CORRECT - with the correct fingering, with repositioning coordinated. This way I'm not giving myself any opportunity to learn any wrong notes, and I have vastly improved my ability to be in the right place at the right time. (Before my movements were always slightly delayed).

The second is learning to breakdown difficult transitions into their segments and understand what I'm doing immediately rather than just plunge in and hack away.

And the third is improved focus repetitions - so starting just a few notes before a trouble spot and not playing much beyond it, focusing on "bridging" between 2 difficult spots. My concentration seems to be better.

Overall though, I'd have to say that the first point has been the most critical.

Two other things have helped - both comments from my teacher. One comment was (after some improvement) "You're not trying to just play your pieces "at any cost" , you're doing what you're supposed to be doing" -- -and the other was "There's no reason you can't do this". So when I'm tempted to try to rush the process I (literally) hear his voice inside my head telling not to rush, and that I can do it if I take the right approach.

My confidence levels are much higher as a result of the past few weeks too, and I think this is also a contributing factor!

Thanks for the expanded commentary, C. Indeed, I can track some of my own footprints in your excellent explanation. A few weeks back my teacher said "you came in here the last two weeks with a new piece for which you have not missed a note in two weeks...this is hard enough with most pieces, but even harder with this one where there is more movement...how do you account for the difference? I told her it was because I decided beforehand to learn it in smaller sections and even slower than usual, regardless of how long it took, until I could play that section with ease and error free. Only then could I move to the next phrase or section. So, slow and focused has worked for me too

I really like what you said about knowing you can do it, especially if you use the right approach. For me, I also have to add in that there is NO deadline, and no reason to artificially assume something SHOULD be "done" by next lesson. Just do my work, keep my head in the music, and it will be done in its own time.

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273083
05/09/14 01:55 AM
05/09/14 01:55 AM
Georgia, USA
N
N17 Offline
N17  Offline
N

Georgia, USA
Carlos- Injuries with muscles/tendons are so tricky and frustrating. Get well soon.

Casinitaly- Reading more about your process of slowing everything down and the results coming from it make me motivated to be more diligent about slow practice.

Jim- Same to you with breaking the pieces in smaller section. My practice habits are improving as I play more and progress but at times I just jump right into a whole piece.

Wimpiano- Looking forward to hearing your (and everyone's) recital piece!

g8orbalboy- Congratulations on the new piano!

TallGuy- I hope the work stress goes down while sleep goes up in the very near future.

I submitted a piece to the recital earlier today. My first recital and second recording overall. Also, this week is the last for the recent Coursera on developing musicianship. As others have said, the material was somewhat basic, even for my very limited knowledge. But the ear training practice was helpful. It was free and I'm happy I had the discipline to complete the assignments on time.

Schedule conflicts have meant my lesson this past week had to be postponed. Hopefully not for too long and I'll have another AOTW in the future. As always, it's been great catching up on everyone's achievements.

COYS
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273346
05/09/14 04:00 PM
05/09/14 04:00 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Carlos - it has taken me a long time to really understand the message of "play slowly"... but now that I've got it, I think it is locked in smile
I'm really looking forward to playing/meeting everyone/playing duets/listenting to everyone at the EPP!

Briansaddleback: sometimes it is hard to keep all the pieces we want at the level we'd like. These things are cyclical. The good news is that as you make progress with your skills you will find it easier to brush up a previous piece!

SwissMs - sounds like you made some really concrete and solid progress this week! Your exam date is fast approaching, and it looks like you're going to be in splendid shape for it!

g8torballboy, congratulations on your new piano! How exciting! What a blast you're going to have getting back into this wonderful activity of piano playing!

Jim, I agree with you - it is making that concious decision to commit to the right approach that makes the difference. - And understanding that it takes the time that it takes, ---deadlines don't help us. Maybe they work for younger learners, but I'm not a fan of deadlines in any context. What I am finding exciting though is that with this dedication to the approach (which my teacher has been trying to get me to use for almost 2 years) I'm actually seeing that overall progress in the last 4-5 pieces I've taken up has been faster. The initial start up is at a dead crawl, but it doesn't take very long before I can start building up some speed.
It is really tremendous fun.

N17 - congrats on getting a submission in for the recital - I hope your live settles down so you can get back to your regular lessons!

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273358
05/09/14 04:44 PM
05/09/14 04:44 PM
Irvine CA
B
briansaddleback Offline
briansaddleback  Offline
B

Irvine CA
Yeah it is really weird. You have a joplin pieces that sort of goes "Jaunty jaunty, Jaunty jaunty !" under your fingers, and after two weeks of absence the pieces go "fluub-flub, fluub fluba ,flub"

Depressing. But I agree it should not take too long to get the accuracy back

But would like to have all pieces I know in a playable order any time anywhere

I have more appreciation for performers at cafes and such as they got to have all pieces ready at hand for hour or two

Last edited by briansaddleback; 05/09/14 04:46 PM.

[Linked Image]
Minstrels
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273443
05/09/14 07:16 PM
05/09/14 07:16 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
TallGuy--I hope you can step back from the intense work schedule now and then to recuperate. Those long days--you don't get those hours back, they don't get added onto your lifespan.

Carlos, heal fast! I dodged a bullet the other day. Husband and I were out hiking in the woods and I had to climb over a downed tree across the trail. As I brought my other leg over, my feet slipped on loose bark on the ground and down I went! I have a huge bruise on my thigh, a scrape the size of a small cornfield on my knee, and a smaller scrape at the base of my hand. But no finger damage! I can play piano!

SwissMs, I use the envelope trick when I practice my scales, too. It's good to mix up the order so you don't rely on the order. Best wishes for your exam. You are so very purposeful and focused in you piano efforts--my hat is off to you!

Malkin, you daughter's wedding. Awwww! (Any tears, or did you do a Yes! followed by a fist pump?)

CAS, way to go--finding those stepping stones to get you onto the next level--more power to you. (P.S. I'm typing this VERY SLOWLY. :))

My AOTW is finishing up my first semester of piano lessons. I will be back with the same teacher next fall. Meanwhile, starting Saturday, I'm taking lessons over the summer with another teacher at the college. This teacher performs professionally. I'm trying not to feel intimidated about that. The lessons are an hour long, so that will be different.

As for my first semester of lessons, it's been a positive experience. The teacher said we moved quite fast, and we did. The biggest "new" thing for me was learning the major scales, arpeggios, chord progressions, etc., all things I hadn't done when self teaching. My teacher was very patient and encouraging in the face of my many screw-ups. And in spite of my many screw-ups, I never once said, "I played this a lot better at home." I thought it many a time, but never said it. smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273643
05/10/14 11:44 AM
05/10/14 11:44 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
I just got back from my first lesson with my summer teacher. I played a major scale, hands together, and Sonata Aria (Scarlatti).

Wow. A totally different approach from my other teacher, and, frankly, one more in line with what I'm after in lessons. She didn't let me get away with anything. We spent the hour (hour plus) on fundamentals like relaxation, arm weight, working on Bar Line Disease, which I have in spades.

This is going to be interesting!

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273668
05/10/14 12:43 PM
05/10/14 12:43 PM
Southern California
S
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

Southern California
CarlosCC and TallguyinNH, both of you take care of your bodies (and spirits).

CasinItaly, that is great news on getting positive feedback from the teacher.

SwissMS, I admire your dedication and methodical approach.

Stubbie, congrats on the first mile marker for lessons. Sounds like you are learning and enjoying the process.

G8orballboy, welcome to the thread. Congrats on the piano. If you want to share a recording there is the monthly piano bar, the Ecco Fatto thread for first time uploaders, and the quarterly recital.

Oddsox, welcome to you. Small steps are how almost all of us beginners make progress, and what this thread is mostly about.

N17, way to jump right in. Recording and uploading is one of the best ways for beginners to improve.

BrianSaddleback, I aim for 20% of my practice time on old pieces, though it seems to have become more than that. Then again I perform live fairly often and want to have much more repertoire than other beginners. I am so poor with sheet music, that reading is not a good option when I play live.

I'm sure I missed some others, but I did read them all.

Week 113: I record some takes of my pancake song and upload. I look for the lyrics, and to my dismay all I find are various exercises, many of which do not match the music. So I still have to actually add more and stitch the lyrics together.

The pancake song came out of the Coursera on songwriting offered earlier in the year. The students worked on one song for three weeks and then were told to start a new song for the final project. Pancakes was my early song and is catchier than my final project.

Have a good week everyone.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 05/10/14 09:31 PM.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273684
05/10/14 01:23 PM
05/10/14 01:23 PM
Irvine CA
B
briansaddleback Offline
briansaddleback  Offline
B

Irvine CA
Yes I should strive for something like that. Maybe not 1/5 of my time as I don't perform regularly but maybe at least play each piece I know through once or twice a day at least to keep them knee jerk fresh.

[Linked Image]
Minstrels
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: briansaddleback] #2273724
05/10/14 03:26 PM
05/10/14 03:26 PM
Southern California
S
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

Southern California
Originally Posted by briansaddleback
Yes I should strive for something like that. Maybe not 1/5 of my time as I don't perform regularly but maybe at least play each piece I know through once or twice a day at least to keep them knee jerk fresh.

One easy way some manage old pieces is to dedicate one day a week for repertoire. This works out to 14% if each day is equal time. The 20% is just a guide. That said, if two weeks destroyed any competence. A more frequent rotation may be useful.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273839
05/11/14 01:12 AM
05/11/14 01:12 AM
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member
aTallGuyNH  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks to all who said such nice thoughts and encouragements re: my work situation. I put in nearly 70 hours over the course of 5 days (including the 16 hour day that led to my initial post on the topic) of very intense focus. Enough was done that I can have a normal weekend though, which was worth it -- particularly for Mother's Day.

Fortunately these sorts of hours are not the norm, I would burn out for sure! Situations do arise though from time to time, once or twice a year on average, and then one has to knuckle under and make it happen.

The worst of these that we had lasted for nearly a month and took a team of ten people working 60+ hour weeks (I hit 80 on some weeks) to finish the work. It was not uncommon to have conference calls that started at 11pm, and managers (that's me) would debrief and plan for the next day sometimes starting as late as 1am.

Nobody wants to go through that. However, when you have a team that is willing to be committed at that level, there is a bond and espirit de corps that runs very deep and is very satisfying.

A lot of petty interpersonal/political garbage suddenly evaporates (assuming it's a good team that steps up when needed, instead of going into the toilet) when there are six or seven figures (substantial money for us, although it may sound trivial depending on your industry and scope of responsibilities) riding on what you as a team are able to deliver on a brick wall deadline.

Back to music...

Despite the craziness this week, I did manage to squeeze in some time at the keys, which helped my general mental state (not nearly as much as listening to others who actually know how to play though smile )

AOTW - Did a 1st run through of How Great Thou Art w/ my younger daughter singing. I don't know the whole chorus yet, but the verse is doing OK (if a little slow). It was nice to play/sing together.

So far I have not been able to convince her that just because our worship team treats the 1/4 note in the 1st syllable of "won-der" as an 1/8 note, doesn't make it so. She's been hearing it this way her whole life, so the proper rhythm sounds weird to her. mad

She sounds pretty good though! That top note is a toughie for her, will be interesting to see if she wants it badly enough to take the time to do vocal exercises. If not, there may be some more transposition in my future.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie] #2273842
05/11/14 01:22 AM
05/11/14 01:22 AM
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member
aTallGuyNH  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Stubbie
We spent the hour (hour plus) on fundamentals like relaxation, arm weight, working on Bar Line Disease, which I have in spades.

Bar Line Disease? confused

What is that?

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH] #2273901
05/11/14 08:03 AM
05/11/14 08:03 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
TallGuy, In the context of the piece I was playing, Bar Line Disease is a noticeable pause as my left hand searches for the next chord in the following measure. This is because of my poor feel for keyboard topography, i.e., I can't make leaps without glancing at my hands. My teacher gave me specific instructions on how to go about working on this, which include practicing the LH leaps and then adding in the last RH note of the measure and first of the next, then adding the last two RH notes of the measure and the first of the next. She emphasized mental preparation and anticipation for the moves. Sounds simple, but it only looks simple if you pull it off correctly. smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2273914
05/11/14 08:26 AM
05/11/14 08:26 AM
London UK
E
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Exalted Wombat  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

London UK
You can overthink this sort of thing. Put your hand in the first position. Now in the second. Now try it faster. Now practice it a bit... It ain't rocket science.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2274050
05/11/14 01:26 PM
05/11/14 01:26 PM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
Not sure where I should post this elsewhere, it's some kind of achievement anyway:
I created another recording:
https://soundcloud.com/wim-piano/telemann-fantasie-in-e-minor
It's closer to the tempo it should be but it's more machine like and you can hear that I'm playing as fast as I can which doesn't make it any better.

This was the original recording:
https://soundcloud.com/wim-piano/telemann-fantasia-in-e-minor-tres-vite-or-is-it-trop-lent

Which one should I use for the recital? (I already uploaded one but I can still change it if I'm not mistaken).
(O and I know their both not quite good wink )

Last edited by wimpiano; 05/11/14 02:44 PM.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2274145
05/11/14 04:25 PM
05/11/14 04:25 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
You could change if you wanted to.

My personal preference is for the "original" one. The second one just feels rushed and much less smooth. Perhaps it is at what is deemed to be the correct tempo, but I think the tempo of your orginal recording is more elegant. I can see the dancers in it - I can't see them in the new recording.

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie] #2274412
05/11/14 10:23 PM
05/11/14 10:23 PM
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member
aTallGuyNH  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Stubbie
TallGuy, In the context of the piece I was playing, Bar Line Disease is a noticeable pause as my left hand searches for the next chord in the following measure. This is because of my poor feel for keyboard topography, i.e., I can't make leaps without glancing at my hands. My teacher gave me specific instructions on how to go about working on this, which include practicing the LH leaps and then adding in the last RH note of the measure and first of the next, then adding the last two RH notes of the measure and the first of the next. She emphasized mental preparation and anticipation for the moves. Sounds simple, but it only looks simple if you pull it off correctly. smile

Got it... I cheat by favoring songs/pieces in the key of B or Db... way easier to find the black keys without looking.

Last edited by aTallGuyNH; 05/11/14 10:24 PM.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2274586
05/12/14 05:13 AM
05/12/14 05:13 AM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
@casinitaly, thanks! 8Octaves gave similar feedback and so did my brother. I will try to create a more musical recording without emphasis on speed, if it doesn't work out I'll keep the original submission.

Page 326 of 492 1 2 324 325 326 327 328 491 492

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cutting down the sides of a Keyboard
by Connor Price. 01/19/19 12:03 AM
Finally Posted Photos of New AA
by DDobs. 01/18/19 11:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,662
Posts2,783,449
Members92,155
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission