Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
112 registered members (Beemer, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, AlphaBravoCharlie, Amedeus, Beowulf, 26 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 326 of 327 1 2 324 325 326 327
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772509
10/14/18 08:22 PM
10/14/18 08:22 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
500 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

My achievement is participating in my first ABF recital and submitting my piece exactly 8 months to the day after I started my pianistic journey. This forum (and CadenzaVvi's progress videos on youtube grin) have kept me motivated. Thanks all! smile

BTW, I got last minute cold feet and thought I started my piece too late to be able polish it, and my teacher powered through (by strategically ignoring wink ) my reluctance, dragging foot, and hints that I wasn't going to make it. (Thanks Teach! thumb)

across the stone, deathless piano performances
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: dogperson] #2772513
10/14/18 08:35 PM
10/14/18 08:35 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Glad you're back, CadenzaVVi (Jouishy).

My achievement was surviving another recital, haha. I don't know why I torture myself and sign up. So much stress.

One thing that bugs me is that because I'm nervous, I feel like there is less blood flow to my hands, and therefore not as nimble.

I have to remind myself to take deep breathes- before I begin to play, and also throughout the piece. Helps to oxygenate the body. 😊

Maybe next time they will let me play with an oxygen tank and mask laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772533
10/14/18 09:41 PM
10/14/18 09:41 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PS - The recital I referred to was the one at the music school I take lessons at, not the Slavic recital here smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772620
10/15/18 05:33 AM
10/15/18 05:33 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Amazing! You should be proud! Did you post it?

I have yet to do an actual live recital but my teacher is encouraging me to participate in the one here at the university (it’s for the local students, mostly kids, not the college students). He suggested the Nocturne I’m working on and the Liszt I finished months ago, with more polishing and memorization. I’m not so sure. It would be a lot of effort and stress.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Chopin Nocturne 20, Posthumous, in C-Sharp Minor
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772649
10/15/18 07:52 AM
10/15/18 07:52 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If there is something to post, I will. But I don't think the school had any video cameras rolling, at least I didn't see any. I think all they were doing was taking pictures. There will be another concert in January and then in June of next year they will have something at the Samueli Theatre of Segerstrom Center for the Arts. The event at Segerstrom is costly though, not sure if I want to spend that much for stress, but it is a nice venue. I'm guessing they will do video there.

In yesterday's time block, I was the only adult and played at the very end, so it was even more stressful sitting and waiting for my turn. It was fun watching the kids though. This one kid, maybe 5 or 6, just banged on the drum maybe 8 times. But he was so super excited and smiling the entire time. Probably the best performance smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2772992
10/16/18 10:01 AM
10/16/18 10:01 AM
L
Lihp Offline
Lihp  Offline
L

Very small achievement compared to most here. However, I have been struggling a lot with a simple piece in "It's never too late to play piano" by Pam Wedgwood called Rock On!

It features a steady staccato rhythm of quarter notes (made up of fifths, with jumps every bar) in the left hand, and the rhythm of a mix of whole down to 8th notes in the right. I was struggling to maintain the steady rhythm in my left while it varies in my right.

However, my brain did that strange thing, where one day you can't do it. The next day it's all clicked into place.

It's quite astonishing what rest a nights sleep can do for your muscle memory and learning.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram] #2774522
10/22/18 07:38 AM
10/22/18 07:38 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
This thread continues to be one of the best features of the ABF. It is always my go-to read whenever opening PW.... whether you are a thread vet or newbie, there is no better place to document, celebrate, and learn from our individual piano adventures. Thanks to each of you for sharing, and congrats on each of your AOTWs big and small.

After being pretty inactive here all year I finally have a real live AOTW... like Casinitaly's recent EPP performance, it is probably my AOTYear too.

I have wanted to play Debussy's Claire de Lune since my self taught rookie year in 2009. Indeed, I finally sought out a teacher after bogging down with Hugh Sung's CDL tutorial on pw at the end of that year. So, I was pretty excited last January when my teacher finally said it was time for me to have a crack at it.

So, I have worked on it all year, at times doubting it would ever come together even though I had all the notes down after several months. But slowly it started to sound like music...in parts.. Since I'm only practicing about an hour daily it wasn't clear to me it would ever sound any good to a listener, however. That changed about a month ago when my wife started making unsolicited compliments on it and my teacher started saying it was coming together. Then at this week's lesson she told me there isn't much more she can help with. She actually said it sounds "professional" and that I had taken it way further than she expected and way further than any other piece I've worked on. She wants me to record it for an ABF recital, which I will probably do at some point.

Needless to say, all of this has put quite a smile on my face! It makes it twice as nice having someone like all of you share my excitement with. Thanks for being here to everyone.

Jim

Last edited by JimF; 10/22/18 07:39 AM.

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2774527
10/22/18 07:55 AM
10/22/18 07:55 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Hi Jim
Congrats! Wow. This is quite an achievement that should put a permanent jog in your steo 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2774536
10/22/18 08:40 AM
10/22/18 08:40 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Amazing, Jim! When are you going to perform it live? S FL isn't that big, I could probably make a trip smile.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2774539
10/22/18 08:46 AM
10/22/18 08:46 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
I have a couple AOTW's -

I finally began working on minor scales. Started with Amin, Emin, Bmin, and Dmin. I wrote out sheets on them on Musescore, and I'm playing all three. They're coming along nicely. Better than my broken chord practice, I'd say.

I have also finally started to work on reading / sight reading. My teacher gave me some beginner books of music (1 -2 page easy versions of pop songs), and I find this more difficult than I had imagined. But then I picked up some advanced pieces (eg intermediate classical pieces that have arpeggiated bass lines) that I am more used to, and these are strangely easier. I guess it's what I've become accustomed to playing.

Finally, at my teacher's request, I am trying to memorize some of my repertoire. I have Bach's Prelude in C, most of Liszt's Consolation in Db, and most of the Chopin Nocturne in C#min memorized.

A lot of work this week. smile Labor of Love!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2774855
10/23/18 10:09 AM
10/23/18 10:09 AM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill_Fast Offline
Downhill_Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA
Mine is simple, but I'm still happy: I've made it through the blues section in the first Alfred book and finished up "On Top of Old Smokey" this morning. I really wasn't a fan of the blues, and On Top of Old Smokey was entertaining, but not exactly fun. The excitement comes from the fact that once I've got the GMaj scale down I'll be learning to play The Can-Can, which I'm hoping I will have a lot more fun with than I've had in the last couple of weeks while slogging through the blues! Woohoo!

Also, JimF, Claire de Lune is my goal piece as well, and this is my starting year... so I guess now I have a rough-estimate timeline of when I'll be able to attempt it. Thanks! ... I think (9 more years?? eek)

Alfred All-In-One Course, Level 1 [Good People]
Alfred Greatest Hits, Level 1 [Not started]
Yamaha P-45
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2775036
10/23/18 09:11 PM
10/23/18 09:11 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
I finished one year of lessons and I still can't wait to get home and play my little electric piano and see what's next in my method books.

Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Accelerated Piano Adventures Book 2 For The Older Beginner. Yamaha P-115.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Downhill_Fast] #2775368
10/25/18 07:34 AM
10/25/18 07:34 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Downhill,

Congratulations on your Alfred AIO progress..... I recall being in that exact space, having started out in AIO myself. Keep up the good work!

One thing I for sure learned in the last 9 years is not to worry about "how fast I get there." Enjoy the ride, there's really no destination.

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2775475
10/25/18 03:36 PM
10/25/18 03:36 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Giacomo! Congratulazioni!

What a tremendous satisfaction!!!!

I had a good achievement last week.

My teacher was out of town and my former teacher took over his lessons for the day.

I played The Town I Loved So Well (from memory) for her and played through the Chopin Nocturne I am still working on.

She hasn’t heard me play for over a year and she was gratifyingly impressed with my progress.

It was really fun - I felt confident and wasn’t at all worried or stressed about playing for her, which wouldn’t have been the cas a few short months ago!

[Linked Image]
EPP 2018 Sank Goar, Germany

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2775487
10/25/18 04:31 PM
10/25/18 04:31 PM
PA
Music Me Offline
500 Post Club Member
Music Me  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
I took a week off from playing my piano because it started to really go out of tune (tuner is scheduled for next week). In the meantime, I played my electric bass ( in the learning stages) and made a lot of progress there. Today I went back to playing my piano and everything I've been working on just came out flawlessly! I believe that somehow the break gives the brain/hands/ears an opportunity to nurture and settle. Anyway, it felt great to play flawlessly! I'm a happy camper!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2775612
10/26/18 07:04 AM
10/26/18 07:04 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
thumb Thanks C. I'll bet it felt pretty good to dash off a Chopin Nocturne for your former teacher.!

Which nocturne are you working on? Between now and year-end I am going to fiddle with fun stuff.... "a bag of tricks," as my teacher calls it, for improvising from lead sheets. But after that comes a Chopin nocturne... Which one is TBD for now.

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2776816
10/30/18 01:47 PM
10/30/18 01:47 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Hi Giacomo!

Sorry, I haven't been online much recently and I didn't answer your question from an earlier post.
I'm working on Nocturne 21, in C Minor posthumous- it's gorgeous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqCZIV8uUA

My ATOW was working on a new piece with my teacher - or rather playing it for him for the first time after a few weeks of working on it on my own. I discovered that all my recent Romantic style playing had severely impinged on the style of this piece (not Romantic!) - and I had to adjust what I was doing to get it right - and I did it during the lesson! whoo hoo! (the piece is Volkmann's "A Tale Begins")
He also commended me on keeping the tempo balanced while playing it at a much slower pace.

Also- when the next student arrived, I saw he is working on Chopin as well and I asked what he was learning - and he played a bit of it for me - very difficult, in Csharp minor, but I didn't note the number.
He asked which one I was working on, and it happened to be in his book.
My teacher said "it's one of the "easier" ones, but it isn't easy" - to which I said "thank you" and he said "it's not for beginners" - and I said "Thank you" again.

[Linked Image]
EPP 2018 Sank Goar, Germany

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2777210
11/01/18 06:54 AM
11/01/18 06:54 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Yes, the Cm posth is really nice. It is on my list of "easier" Chopin nocturnes... but none of them look at all easy to me. I'm already intimidated and haven't even selected one yet!

But I trust my teacher and will just keep putting one finger in front of the other, so to speak... especially appropriate since it is all those fast runs that freak me out!

crazy

Giacomo

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2777226
11/01/18 09:20 AM
11/01/18 09:20 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
Home again, that means no piano since the EPP Sept 8th! I was so nervous going back to my keys yesterday I just messed around sight reading and checking out new possibilities, a few old favorites, worked on a few ‘tough passages’ before I got out my recital pieces again. I only played the Debusy Bergamesque Prelude, because I think that was my strongest piece, and ‘Wowed’ myself...... if that’s what taking a break does then I’ll take more, well not really, but what a difference. I found myself being much more confident and didn’t mess up, and maybe more importantly, I didn’t worry about the odd missed note or finger placement. I felt much more relaxed and gave myself a smile once I’d finished. I guess I really am hard on myself and can afford to lighten up quite a bit. Thanks all of you for a wonderful weekend at St Goar. It was a big stepping stone in my piano journey!

All this writing about Chopin Nocturnes.... No 20 and 21 the Cmaj and the C# minor are beautiful, neither can be called ‘easy’..... so my next goal is to finish - and record, maybe even submit - Opus 27 #2. I’ve been at it on and off for over a year now so time enough!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2778516
11/05/18 05:57 PM
11/05/18 05:57 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
My AOTW — or month or year — was to play my Piazzolla piece yesterday at a piano party, a.k.a. performance class, for my teacher’s other adult students. Ten days ago I told her I thought I couldn’t do it, or shouldn’t: I made errors every time I played, and I did not want to inflict this pain on listeners who love music! She persuaded me to play it at the end of that lesson, for her next student and herself, on her gorgeous 9’ grand, which I’ve never touched before (my lesson is usually on a nice 6-1/2’ grand, but it had a broken something that day). I couldn’t see my two listeners, just the big beautiful piano, and I played this piece, which I love, better than I ever had. I surprised myself.

Since then in my practice, I’ve been able to shift my attention more to work on the phrasing, dynamics, all those things that make playing expressive; at the same time, somehow the wrong notes began to tame themselves too. My playing is still not reliably accurate every time, but so much better. Yesterday, although my hands were shaking, I played for an intently listening group of 7 knowledgeable pianists. It was exhilarating! There is far yet to go in shaping the “musicality” but I didn’t disgrace myself or hurt my listeners’ ears or sense of beauty. My teacher wrote me a note that she was proud of my progress. Me too! This feels like a big breakthrough!

Last edited by Qwerty53; 11/05/18 05:58 PM.

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2778527
11/05/18 06:25 PM
11/05/18 06:25 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
You had me at Piazzolla! Which one? Milonga? Libertango? Big fan of his piano works (or at least the piano versions of his works). Great job, QWERTY!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13] #2778549
11/05/18 07:37 PM
11/05/18 07:37 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Thank you, cmb13! Yes, I have noticed your upright-piano avatar popping up when there is mention of Piazzolla! I played Invierno (Winter), from the suite called Cuatro Estaciones Porteñas (Four Seasons of Buenos Aires). Three months of hard work and it is just barely listenable, but it is starting to sound better. I’ve submitted it to the quarterly recital (first time!), but I am hoping to record a better performance to upload before it closes. It would be nice if the piano tuner could get here in time, too. Oh well: work in progress!

Another student played the Milonga del Angel yesterday. I love that piece; maybe that’s next. Adios Nonino, Oblivion, Libertango... they do make my puny efforts at Schumann’s Album for the Young seem a bit pale by comparison.

Last edited by Qwerty53; 11/05/18 07:38 PM.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2778584
11/05/18 09:45 PM
11/05/18 09:45 PM
New York
M
Medved1 Offline

Medved1  Offline

M

New York
PIazzola for sure! (I stumble through the simplified versions, but love the effect, and dream of playing the "big kid" versions).

My AOTW is that, 10 years after I learned it "the wrong way", I learned an easy Chopin piece, Cantabile in B-flat major, the right way. Using 2 hands on the LH part until it the progression made sense. Finally implementing the advice of my teacher to back off to HS if HT wasn't working. Using the metronome to break through the "brain farts". It flows now.

Wonder if I could actually play it for my teacher without my hands getting sweaty. I am still debating whether to try to not get sweaty palms, or just get used to playing with them.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Medved1] #2778707
11/06/18 10:59 AM
11/06/18 10:59 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Hi Medved1! Congratulations on your Chopin!

You might try embracing the sweaty palms — or embracing a handkerchief just before you play!

There is this idea of reinterpreting one’s performance jitters as a kind of exaltation or elevated level of being: to see and feel it as extra energy, beyond our normal state of being.

The challenge for me is learning how to focus this extra energy on my playing: to quiet or ignore the part of my attention that is providing running commentary like “what does my teacher think?” and “oh no I fluffed that note/I hope I don’t fall apart in the next measure/oh my is this the one time I get a clean recording I’m almost there...” Not easy! I have managed a few times to feel that focused hyper-attention on my playing and it is delicious, but it still just comes in flickers.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Qwerty53] #2778737
11/06/18 12:46 PM
11/06/18 12:46 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Thank you, cmb13! Yes, I have noticed your upright-piano avatar popping up when there is mention of Piazzolla! I played Invierno (Winter), from the suite called Cuatro Estaciones Porteñas (Four Seasons of Buenos Aires). Three months of hard work and it is just barely listenable, but it is starting to sound better. I’ve submitted it to the quarterly recital (first time!), but I am hoping to record a better performance to upload before it closes. It would be nice if the piano tuner could get here in time, too. Oh well: work in progress!

Another student played the Milonga del Angel yesterday. I love that piece; maybe that’s next. Adios Nonino, Oblivion, Libertango... they do make my puny efforts at Schumann’s Album for the Young seem a bit pale by comparison.

LOL I'm transparent I suppose. :cheers:

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2778812
11/06/18 05:13 PM
11/06/18 05:13 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
Qwerty53, congrats on the Piazzolla! It's so encouraging to hear experiences like yours--first the doubt, insecurity, shaky hands--and then finding your way through to make beautiful music. thumb

Medved, congrats on the revived and re-tooled Chopin. It sounds as though you and your teacher came up with some good practicing ideas to make it happen. Another thumb .

My AOTW is having lessons for the past three weeks with a substitute teacher. Even though he was a mere child wink , he had some good suggestions; being under a "fresh" eye on occasion is not a bad thing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Qwerty53] #2778862
11/06/18 09:52 PM
11/06/18 09:52 PM
New York
M
Medved1 Offline

Medved1  Offline

M

New York
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Hi Medved1! Congratulations on your Chopin!

You might try embracing the sweaty palms — or embracing a handkerchief just before you play!

There is this idea of reinterpreting one’s performance jitters as a kind of exaltation or elevated level of being: to see and feel it as extra energy, beyond our normal state of being.

The challenge for me is learning how to focus this extra energy on my playing: to quiet or ignore the part of my attention that is providing running commentary like “what does my teacher think?” and “oh no I fluffed that note/I hope I don’t fall apart in the next measure/oh my is this the one time I get a clean recording I’m almost there...” Not easy! I have managed a few times to feel that focused hyper-attention on my playing and it is delicious, but it still just comes in flickers.

Good advice - I will try to make it happen. You know, I had been wondering why the metronome works for me (in measured doses) - certainly it reduces the urge to rush things, but maybe also it inserts itself in between the part of the brain that is focusing on the music and the part of the brain that is honking away with the running commentary.

Stubbie, glad the "fresh eye" is useful!

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2778944
11/07/18 10:36 AM
11/07/18 10:36 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content
Silver Level

Florida
Hey, Qwerty, I'm wondering where you got the sheet music for the Inverno? I've been looking around but not sure I see anything definitive for piano specifically. Thanks!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Pachelbel Canon in D
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13] #2778972
11/07/18 01:11 PM
11/07/18 01:11 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Originally Posted by cmb13
Hey, Qwerty, I'm wondering where you got the sheet music for the Inverno? I've been looking around but not sure I see anything definitive for piano specifically. Thanks!

Finding Piazzolla scores is not easy! I have had some limited success with Elkin Music and with SheetMusicPlus, but it seems that most scores are back-ordered, seemingly forever.

Invierno came as part of the whole Four Seasons suite for piano (Tonos Publishing) that I ordered through a (German?) website called Musicalion.com. Price in Euros plus overseas shipping (12.50 euros, about $14.35) made it a bit pricey but it did arrive within just a week or so.

I've just sent email to a fellow student who has the Angel suite (Tonos), to ask him where he got it. The Milonga del Angel was available in the 2009 edition of the RCM series, as I understand it, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of that book.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2778975
11/07/18 01:13 PM
11/07/18 01:13 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Stubbie, thanks for the words of encouragement!

Interesting that you found the "fresh eye" helpful -- I'm curious to know what kinds of advice you received that helped.

Page 326 of 327 1 2 324 325 326 327

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Connecting Yamaha Silent to iPad
by edwardmatt83. 11/15/18 05:42 PM
Piano Buyer guide to pricing and features
by MacMacMac. 11/15/18 05:16 PM
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,345
Posts2,761,440
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission