Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
56 registered members (BachToTheFuture, augustm, almo82, 17 invisible), 939 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 320 of 323 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 323
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2731299
04/24/18 02:14 AM
04/24/18 02:14 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
F
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

F
Scottsdale, AZ
WiseBuff
I'm glad your party went well. It sounds like fun. Wanting to express oneself! What a concept. I will try to remember it on Thursday. I'm playing the same piece, Kabalevsky Op40 #2 again for our Monthly Piano club. I will also try Chopin étude 25-2 (Bees) during the break. Wish me luck!

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Morzart Rondo in A minor, K511
3) Schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) kabalevsky Variations in A minor OP 40-2
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2731311
04/24/18 04:07 AM
04/24/18 04:07 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Zilthy- welcome back!
Palmpirate - I am enjoying your weekly updates. When I am next in BC (no plans yet, but when....) I am definitely coming to visit you and see one of your shows in your beautiful vineyard atmosphere!

Farmgirl - it's so nice to see you back here posting -- I feel re-connected!

Giacomo - I know what you mean about that little voice in your ear. I often hear my teacher's voice when I'm practicing. It makes me wonder if my students hear my voice lol.

Wisebuff - I am so happy that you had such a good time at your party - your feelings about playing for others are undergoing a subtle , positive shift that works so much in your favour! I can't wait to hear you in Germany!

SwissMs - so great you're doing so much better - I could not be happier for you!
EbonyKawai - sometimes a good night's sleep is just the ticket to give us perspective !

There's been a lot of activity this week - I always enjoy reading about everyone!

This weekI finally started to come to terms with the third page of the Nocturne I'm working on. It's similar to the second page and I think it will come together (relatively) quickly. All things are relative. Where I struggled for well over a month on page 2 I think page 3 will take a few weeks (just to get it under my fingers, then of course there will be refining!).
I played for my neighbour's husband yesterday- he's a musician, so that's always more nerve wracking!
I played The Town I Loved So Well, and the Chopin Waltz. He liked both of them but said that the difference in my playing between the 2 was remarkable. it was like listening to 2 different performers. He meant it very positively - so I took it to mean that I was able to give flavour to the two pieces smile
Today I took my courage in hand and wrote to the teacher at the school where I did the improvisation course last summer. They do a recital every year with ADULT pianists. (at my school there are only kids, and I just can't bring myself to play in front of all the parents and grandparents) --- I asked if I could join them in the recital. Several of the other pianists are from the Performance Anxiety Group smile --- I got a reply within 5 minutes saying they'd be delighted to have me join them. I am really thrilled. And a wee bit nervous!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2731368
04/24/18 10:29 AM
04/24/18 10:29 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Cas- I hear you about playing in front of the parents and grandparents.
This year, my teacher has enough students to split the recital, but he wants me to play with the group that is mainly college students. I'm not sure which is worse!

At least I might make them feel good about their own playing!

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2731377
04/24/18 11:12 AM
04/24/18 11:12 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
Wisebuff, that sounds like a lot of fun! I like that song (Bewitched...); I haven't been back to the jazz standards lately but hope to get back there again one day.

CAS that sounds great too...it's always fun to play for people.

This week I played my recital piece for a few friends, one of whom learned piano as a child but hasn't been back to it for years. The piece is the Liszt Consolation in Db; as I have been recording it it's as polished as it'll get. I got through it all, except when his wife walked in to the room I was distracted and lost my place; took about 5-10 sec to recover, but I did and aside from that gaffe it went well. They loved it, so I sent them my video recording of the piece and he asked for the sheet music.

Then I began my Debussy, which is near complete, but couldn't get through it; my concentration was shot and the wine must have been getting to me, so I aborted and rejoined the dinner party we were having for my friends' 50th.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2731405
04/24/18 12:05 PM
04/24/18 12:05 PM
Hong Kong
Yuki_Kiki Offline
Yuki_Kiki  Offline
Hong Kong
Hi Everyone!Well, the Best AOTW is I am coming back to this topic....I just checked the record , my last post was 2013 Nov, around 5 years ago...I have kept learning and playing Piano. But I couldn‘t remember why did I stop writing?!Sorry about that and I am HAPPY to come back!

2 years ago, I have found another Piano Tutor who have been teaching me better than previous tutor. I am learning more properly although I need to re–study the music pieces , it worths as I am playing better. I had pass ABRSM Grade 7 Piano Exam by November 2017 smile

I just had the Piano Lesson today, I played Bach inventions no4 and Mozart Sonata KV280 3rd movement (Presto) and I pass 3hearts Will study another pieces, feeling happy and sucessful!

Cheers!

♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Yuki_Kiki] #2731467
04/24/18 03:37 PM
04/24/18 03:37 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
Welcome back to the ABF, Yuki Kiki! It's never too late to rejoin! It sounds like you used your time away from the forum well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2731607
04/25/18 05:03 AM
04/25/18 05:03 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline
Just outside London UK
I have just started learning the ABRSM Grade 5 piece called "Cool" cool . It has a swing beat in it and the metronome on my DP doesn't do it. However my teacher suggested I purchased a Korg MA-1 which does have this. And I duly did

I had previously entered the score (using a combination of Midi Keyboard and Computer Keyboard) into Musescore (free download https://musescore.org/en/download ) in order to load it into Piano Marvel and use that to learn it.

However despite having picked up most of the notes using that method, I was still struggling with "feeling" the correct rhythm, particularly a small repeated phrase in the left hand, were I had the emphasis wrong on a swing beat. In my lesson with my teacher yesterday morning, she got me to separate out that phrase, and play it with the Korg metronome over and over again at a slower tempo.

I continued yesterday afternoon, but was getting not very far. I found a rhythm that I thought felt right, but I wasn't sure the length of the second note was correct - I guess the lack of any feedback was making me struggle.
But this morning I had light bulb moment :lightbulb: So I took my MuseScore Score and cut it right down and played it on repeat

[Linked Image]

Within minutes I could play along with this, get the feeling and replicated it in the whole piece (it repeats several times). I could then switch Musescore off and and return to the Korg Metronome and I was syncing with it perfectly

There were a couple of other places where I wasn't quite sure I had my timing right. So again I just took the original score "Save As" to give it a new name - delete all the other stuff around it and hone in on the phrase that I thought was wrong and put it on repeat.

There is one minor downside to this. Even though the metronome in Musescore and the Korg Metronome where both on the same setting, there is a small drift between them, so they can't be used together.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie] #2731617
04/25/18 06:56 AM
04/25/18 06:56 AM
Hong Kong
Yuki_Kiki Offline
Yuki_Kiki  Offline
Hong Kong
Thanks Stubbie.Wow, you have got so many MOYD, I should get one too. smile

♬*:♬♪゚・:,。♬o。*:..♬♬.:*:・♪
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13] #2731622
04/25/18 07:24 AM
04/25/18 07:24 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Brighton Colorado
Originally Posted by cmb13

Then I began my Debussy, which is near complete, but couldn't get through it; my concentration was shot and the wine must have been getting to me, so I aborted and rejoined the dinner party we were having for my friends' 50th.

CMB13...I see you're working on the the same Debussy I've been learning. I signed up for the EdX prelude course and that is the last one in the course. I'm finding it very challenging and don't expect a short turn around on it. I have a book of simplified Debussy but somehow that just doesn't have the same feel to it. I smiled when I imagined you playing it at a dinner party, distracted, and with a swallow of wine or two. Give me a year maybe. I'd love to hear you play it when you're ready. I have several others I'm working on but really want a Debussy that is proficient because I love the sound.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2731643
04/25/18 09:05 AM
04/25/18 09:05 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
WiseBuff, that piece is extraordinarily beautiful! I began it last summer, but only spent about a month on it, and picked it up again about 1-2 months ago. It's very complicated, with several big chords, and requires a fine touch. My transcription is now edited with fingering and chord names all over; I find that knowing what I'm playing really helps (ie what chord I'm in when it's not obvious). I can actually get through it for the most part, but it's not 'set' yet. I plan on presenting it for the Debussy recital, though, so I have a little time. I do find that when it's time to record, I learn where my trouble spots really are, and the process of recording has helped me in my quest to eliminate those spots.

I also spent time with my teacher on it; he really helped with tips on tricky areas. If you'd like to open up a larger discussion on the piece, it could be the topic of an entire thread. I'd also be happy to send you my marked up sheet if you'd like (I did it on MuseScore actually so it's pretty clean but full of info).

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13] #2731644
04/25/18 09:09 AM
04/25/18 09:09 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Brighton Colorado
Originally Posted by cmb13
If you'd like to open up a larger discussion on the piece, it could be the topic of an entire thread. I'd also be happy to send you my marked up sheet if you'd like (I did it on MuseScore actually so it's pretty clean but full of info).

That sounds like a great idea. I'd love a copy of your score. Any help is appreciated. I played through it this morning after several weeks away from it and it is progressing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2732488
04/28/18 11:02 AM
04/28/18 11:02 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
Palmpirate  Offline
P
B.C.Canada
Checking in for week no 2 of my commitment here, mostly to myself I guess but it’s neat reading how you all are doing.
WiseBuff, your party sounds amazing. What a lot of people! Oh to be so brave - and to have so many turn up. I may have mentioned I have 2 sons living in Boulder so am down there a couple of times a year. I’ll keep checking in and see if I’m around should you have another piano party happening. Guess we’ll probably meet up in St Goar first though!
Cmb13, along with WiseBuff, I hear your struggles with Debussy’s La Fille...
I first did that way back when... when I really didn’t have much idea what was involved having only had ‘ivory thumpers’ as teachers. Now I am so much more aware of what I have to do to get the sound I want out of that board. I tried it the other evening, and almost cried it was so hard to realize the bad habits I had ingrained in me. It is such a beautiful piece I shall have to revisit it and re-learn it properly.
But I’m working on Collines d’AnnaCapris first. A ‘great learning piece’ and I have a terrific teacher, and a lot more time and patience with myself. Not at all easy, but I’m loving the constant change of moods and different demands it has on they type of touch, the ‘finger gymnastics’ involved in getting all those notes played, the huge leaps around the keyboard, the tempo variations, etc etc......maybe it will take forever but I’m enjoying the process.
Sweet relief from that is to go to Schumann’s Arabesque and just drift along......
Til next week, Happy Practising!

[Linked Image]
2018 ambitiously working on - Debussy, Les Collines d'Annacapri and other stuff just for fun!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734526
05/06/18 01:10 PM
05/06/18 01:10 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline
Salish Sea
Great fun to hear everyone’s accomplishments, and encouraging! Thanks for taking the time to report!

This past week, I completed a full year of lessons with my first teacher, and that’s enough! I had long ago decided I wanted a change, but I felt I should give it a full year before changing to a new teacher. She is a very good pianist and a lovely young person, and always had answers to my questions, but there was no structure to my learning except what I gave myself. She is about half my age and maybe too deferential to me. Also too chatty! As I am! So I think we wasted lesson time. I feel I have spent too much time working on pieces (which I chose) that are too hard for my present skill level, and not enough time developing basic skills. After a year, I feel like there are almost no pieces, however simple, that I can play for others with confidence. I need to be bossed a bit more!

Fortuitously I recently met a new teacherwhen I attended a house concert at which she performed. I was struck by the emotional intensity of her playing and by her joyful enthusiasm in talking about the music she chose to play. When I learned afterwards that she teaches, I arranged to meet with her. I said maybe I should start over as a new beginner and really learn the basics. She gave me a series of warm-up exercises including scales and arpeggios to practice; next week, first real lesson, we will look at Schumann Album for the Young and Bach Little Preludes together. “Real music”!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5, arriving soon! Goodbye digitals: Yamaha N1, P-115
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734549
05/06/18 02:42 PM
05/06/18 02:42 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
Congratulations qwerty53. May I ask if you are completing your first yr as a beginner? I understand what you mean about re enforcing basics. I started doing that more this week by going thru the Alfred and video lessons again starting at the first. I’m spending 20 mins or so per lesson while continuing current studies.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734578
05/06/18 04:17 PM
05/06/18 04:17 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
F
FarmGirl Offline

FarmGirl  Offline

F
Scottsdale, AZ
Nice achievement everyone.
I have to go to Sunday classic (monthly event for chamber music including piano duo's or duets). I'm not performing (you have to be semi pro for this Cebu) but enjoy listening to others. So I will try to get at least Bach piece ready for tomorrow's lesson. Mozart is a very long piece for me and have not read all yet. I tried 4 pages yesterday. 6 more to go. I may check back in later

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Morzart Rondo in A minor, K511
3) Schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) kabalevsky Variations in A minor OP 40-2
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734670
05/06/18 08:15 PM
05/06/18 08:15 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
I have an achievement that I am happy about.

I missed the most recent ABF recital, through a combination of busy-ness and sloth. I was disappointed. In the immediate aftermath, I chose the piece for the next recital, which goes live in about 9 days. I looked like a bit of a stretch for me (I am in the midst of passage through the RCM Level 2 repertoire), but, I have a professional recording of it and I like the tune very much. So, with 3 months to prepare, I set about to master it.

The biggest challenge it presented was the third, C, section (it's form is AABBCCAA). The C section is 4 bars in 4/4 time, with either 2 or 3 finger chords, in both hands, changing on nearly every beat. And, it is best played legato. I have played very few chords, with most of my experience with them coming from the Alfred's 1 book. I had no experience with such a succession of chords, let alone, in both hands, legato, with one hand of chords carrying the melody.

But, now, 3 months later, I have the succession well in hand. And, I have even been able to focus some on voicing the chords (I think that is the correct term) so the single note that is the melody rings out a little louder than the rest.

One of the more pleasing aspects of this journey has been the discovery of a way to play the chords legato. I do not know if a teacher would approve of the method as I do not have a teacher. To achieve legato, I identify the fingers that will not change from one chord to the next, and just hold them through the change, or, make a very, very slight lift and drop just as the changing fingers drop into their new notes. I have recorded and listened, and it seems to achieve the goal. It sounds smooth.

Another pleasing thing has been the voicing. I did not come up with any magic technique to get the individual melody notes to stand out from the melody chords. It just seems that by being aware of the need for it, I have gradually and subconsciously shifted some emphasis to the pinky finger of my right hand, where most of those melody notes occur. This seems to have come about in conjunction with a conscious effort on my part to clean up the chords by making sure I play all of the fingers at exactly the same time. Before this project, my fingers actuated the keys in substantially irregular sequence when playing chords. I am able to hear, pretty clearly, the notes that, individually, make up the melody.

I am making pleasing progress on these aspects of chord play and like the sound I can now make. I am optimistic that I will have a nice presentation ready for the coming recital.

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: monkeeys] #2734705
05/06/18 11:50 PM
05/06/18 11:50 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline
Salish Sea
Originally Posted by monkeeys
May I ask if you are completing your first yr as a beginner? I understand what you mean about re enforcing basics. I started doing that more this week by going thru the Alfred and video lessons again starting at the first. I’m spending 20 mins or so per lesson while continuing current studies.

First year as a beginner, yes, in this millennium! I did take lessons for a couple of years, more than fifty years ago. Didn’t play anything, really, until last year when I realized that I wanted to play piano and nothing stood in my way except that I didn’t know how to play! And I had no piano, but that was fairly easily remedied (a benefit of being an adult with a credit card, a car, and nearby music stores with digital keyboards to carry home). Learning how to play has been and continues to be an adventure! I started with some structure using Alfred, but after I got through Book 1, all structure seemed to drop away. Your self-discipline in working through Alfred systematically is admirable!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5, arriving soon! Goodbye digitals: Yamaha N1, P-115
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734714
05/07/18 12:52 AM
05/07/18 12:52 AM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
I know that I read your signature and still ask that. 😡. I wonder what I’m thinking sometimes. It seems that you are progressing well having completed Alfred 1 and it’s equally admirable that you are looking at ways to improve.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734728
05/07/18 02:09 AM
05/07/18 02:09 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Ralph, what you are describing for the legato 2 note progression sounds right to me - good for you! You've made a major break through and had fun in the process!
I'm looking forward to hearing your piece!

My AOTW is finally making some progress on the third page of my Nocturne. It's been hard on my brain!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734744
05/07/18 05:53 AM
05/07/18 05:53 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Online content

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
Costa del Sol
I don't have an achievement of my own to report this week, but I am making steady progress. I watched someone's achievement though. A DipABRSM student presented her program to teachers and grade 8 and above students via Zoom on line. It was quite impressive. The program was 30 minutes of pieces above grade 8, from memory. She did really well and it was truly an inspiration. She played a Bach Prelude and Fugue, a Beethoven Sonata, Brahms Rhapsody in G minor and Scriabin impromptu in Bb minor. She said she practices four hours a day, and it certainly shows. I hope to be able to play that well someday!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS] #2734807
05/07/18 11:44 AM
05/07/18 11:44 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline
Salish Sea
Originally Posted by SwissMS
She said she practices four hours a day, and it certainly shows.

Wow, I have been feeling good when I manage to get in an hour in a day. Am I a slacker? How much do others practice?? In a day, or in a week?

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2734809
05/07/18 11:45 AM
05/07/18 11:45 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline
Salish Sea
Casinitaly I really like your avatar! Custom artwork I presume?

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ralphiano] #2734812
05/07/18 11:54 AM
05/07/18 11:54 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline
Salish Sea
Ralphiano, your breakthrough must have taken a lot of concentration! Hope you are well recovered from your bike mishap. I used to be (just a few years ago) fearless on a bicycle, but now I have trepidations. Nevertheless I must start riding again so I can take part in a fundraising ride this summer. My co-captain of the team that took part in the fundraiser in former years has recently passed away from her cancer and I need to honor her. Bikes and pianos... I was going to say that only one offers aerobic exercise, but I guess that depends on what and how one plays!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Qwerty53] #2734813
05/07/18 11:56 AM
05/07/18 11:56 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Casinitaly I really like your avatar! Custom artwork I presume?

Hi Qwerty, I like my avatar too smile ---- JimF posted it in reply to something I wrote ages ago about pink shoes or boots - and I thought it was so cute I took it as my avatar. I should look it up. It is clearly some child's art work - but not a child I know.

As for practicing per day - on a good day I get in an hour. On a bad day I will play a few scales! I think I generally get 45 minutes in and I do something every day.
Many of us participate in MOYD - (MOYD 2018) - where we sign up to be at the piano every day - be it for 5minutes, 45 minutes or 5 hours (ha ha). Why not join us?

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Qwerty53] #2734868
05/07/18 04:16 PM
05/07/18 04:16 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Ralphiano, your breakthrough must have taken a lot of concentration! Hope you are well recovered from your bike mishap. I used to be (just a few years ago) fearless on a bicycle, but now I have trepidations. Nevertheless I must start riding again so I can take part in a fundraising ride this summer. My co-captain of the team that took part in the fundraiser in former years has recently passed away from her cancer and I need to honor her. Bikes and pianos... I was going to say that only one offers aerobic exercise, but I guess that depends on what and how one plays!

Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, the recovery is going well. The only remaining evidence of the crash is some deformity of my kneecap. It has a modified shape now, as if it was crushed/compressed somewhat. It is slowly feeling better. We rode 55 miles on Saturday and 35 on Sunday. After Saturday's ride the patellar tendon, which slides over the kneecap, was irritated. But, it recovered overnight and I was fine for Sunday's ride.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your captain. And, I commend you for using your gift to raise funds for charities. That is very nice!
smile

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2735227
05/09/18 02:49 AM
05/09/18 02:49 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Ralph - I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well!
Qwerty - it's a beautiful thing to honour your captain with the continued efforts on the fundraiser.

I had my piano lesson last night, and despite being tired to the point of just wanting to put my head down and crash, I had a pretty good lesson. We worked on several very small,, but critical, sections of the Nocturne.
Recently my teacher has been commenting on how well our lessons are going. I do my work for my own satisfaction, but my teacher is so great, it also feels really wonderful when I see that he has some satisfaction from our work too.

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2735426
05/09/18 11:36 PM
05/09/18 11:36 PM
Alberta, Canada
Glen R. Offline
Glen R.  Offline
Alberta, Canada
I picked up a Zoom H1n to record my 1926 Heintzman upright (hoping to submit a piece for the recital), and was so pleased with the result that I played the recording for my piano teacher with a good pair of headphones. She seemed impressed -- I believe she said something along the lines of "Oh, that's very rich". So that's kind of neat. I suspect she's heard one too many twangy uprights in her time :-).

A little bit of back story here -- I started piano lessons around 10 years ago, but stopped when my second daughter was born (2009). Now my oldest daughter, who's almost 11, is taking piano lessons and it inspired me to get back with it. We have the same teacher, and we'll be doing a duet together at her year end recital :-). Back when I first started, I was posting now and then on these forums -- I even remember casinitaly starting this thread! And now look at it pushing 10000 posts and 34 *million* views!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Yamaha YDP 140
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2735577
05/10/18 05:35 PM
05/10/18 05:35 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Welcome back Glen R! What a great story - and what fun that you'll be playing a duet with your daughter -that's so sweet!

This weekend our thread will be 8 years old - and it is the most replied to thread in the ABF. Who knew how much we really wanted to talk about our ATOWs?

I look forward to hearing more about your progress now that you're back!

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2735611
05/10/18 08:39 PM
05/10/18 08:39 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Union SC
That’s great that you got inspired to jump back in. That’s gonna be a wonderful experience for you both. Best wishes.

Last edited by monkeeys; 05/10/18 08:40 PM.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2735636
05/10/18 11:36 PM
05/10/18 11:36 PM
Zilthy Offline
Zilthy  Offline
I transcribed my first piano piece. I heard this and I knew I wanted to play it, and there was no sheet music available.

It ended up being a very rewarding experience. I played rock guitar for many years, so playing by ear is not very new, but very different. There it was getting the chord changes and writing a lead sheet out if needed, occasionally grabbing a lick note for note.

Although it was a very moderate and easy song, it was quite different, picking out both the right hand and left hand and writing them both out on score note for note. It was a fun and very rewarding experience!

Page 320 of 323 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 323

Moderated by  BB Player 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Skips Vs.Steps desperation
by Melodies. 06/25/18 12:52 AM
Which tool to polish pedals?
by mivaldes. 06/24/18 10:42 PM
Touchrail system?
by Radio.Octave. 06/24/18 09:47 PM
Can words be used to describe music?
by pianoloverus. 06/24/18 04:21 PM
electronic tuners
by oth47. 06/24/18 02:44 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,120
Posts2,727,181
Members90,446
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission