Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Bach_ingMaddie, augustm, Alex_, aeroseb, amad23, Bambers, 14 invisible), 525 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 314 of 319 1 2 312 313 314 315 316 318 319
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2693677
12/02/17 12:18 PM
12/02/17 12:18 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
Congrats, Stubbie😊 Yes that is the way it works for me as well: a long plateau which seems to never end, and then a dramatic increase all of a sudden. Strangely, I’ve been traveling about 50% of the time for work in the last month, so my practice has been limited, but this last week has also seen one of those jumps. When I travel, I try to stay in hotels where I can play the piano; I can’t practice in the traditional sense, But playing through music and just listening maybe has made a difference? Have you thought about anything you’ve done differently right before this plateau went away or is it just time? ?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: dogperson] #2693728
12/02/17 04:35 PM
12/02/17 04:35 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
I think it's mostly time. Time and persistence and patience. The piano is feeling more comfortable under my hands, which is probably the result of accrued time at the piano. Persistence and patience in that I've been on one of my "bigger" pieces for a long time (it's a movement from a Mozart sonata; I've memorized most of it and that has helped); at the same time the shorter pieces (e.g. Bach French Suites) are coming more quickly. But there's no substitute for time at the piano.

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2693854
12/03/17 05:12 AM
12/03/17 05:12 AM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
We had another meeting of the “Performance Anxiety Club “ at the local café and it went very well, AGAIN!!!
We each played 3-4 pieces and had a wonderful time. I played To A Wild Rose and I think it was my best , at tempo performance to date. We’re going to meet once more before Christmas.

I have also started another Chopin piece: Nocturne 21 in C min, posthumous. The first page is really drawing on things I have learned over the past year, and I am delighted with how relaxed I feel when I am working on it.

I am at a truly wonderful place with piano these days and it’s very rewarding!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2693895
12/03/17 09:29 AM
12/03/17 09:29 AM
Brussels, Belgium
S
Saranoya Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Brussels, Belgium
Hey, guys

I'm not really sure I belong on this thread, or even on this (adult beginner's) forum, anymore. I've been playing the piano now for the better part of five years, and I wasn't a 'true' adult novice to begin with. I had about two years of piano lessons, total, as a child.

Since starting over in September of 2012, I've had many ups and downs. Some weeks, I've gotten so much done that my teacher wondered whether I slept at all. There have also been months on end where I barely played the piano at all, despite my best intentions. Along the way, I tried my hand at everything from Mozart minuets, over Clementi and Kuhlau Sonatinas, to Beethoven sonata movements, and many many things in between (Burgmüller, Chopin, Haydn, Händel, Piazzolla, ...). But I feel that lately, I'm not getting much playing done at all, anymore.

It's partly a function of a busier professional life (which I grossly underestimated before I made the jump from my previous career into this one), partly a function of not being single anymore (being in a relationship takes time), and partly a function of chronic health issues popping up now and again, although I feel like I shouldn't use those as an explanation for why I don't play the piano that much anymore, because they've always been around.

Anyhow, the fact is, I don't play the piano nearly as much now as I did when I started in 2012, and I feel like I should do something about that. I remember this thread fondly from when I first stumbled upon PianoWorld, as having been extremely encouraging. I thought that maybe, it might help to start posting here somewhat regularly again. I hope you won't mind my being here, despite the fact that I'm clearly not a beginner anymore (and this even though I would like to still be one, because then I could forgive myself for not having made much progress).

For this week, I'll content myself with having decided to do something about this lull as an AOTW. I hope I'll have something more substantial to report next Sunday.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2693947
12/03/17 12:31 PM
12/03/17 12:31 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
Saranoya, welcome back!

Finding room in the day--on a regular basis--for playing something at the piano is a challenge, for sure. I'll put in a plug for MOYD, with which you're familiar. Human nature being what it is, that little prod of the MOYD stick works wonders.

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie] #2693957
12/03/17 12:46 PM
12/03/17 12:46 PM
Brussels, Belgium
S
Saranoya Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Brussels, Belgium
Hey Stubbie

I am indeed familiar with MOYD, but I've concluded over the years that it doesn't really work for me. I've noticed in the past that when I'm really tired, the terms of MOYD tempt me to just rehash an old piece and call it good, because "nothing more is required" to meet the MOYD goal.

Framing it in terms of actually 'achieving' something is probably more helpful, in my case. That means I have to actually practice, instead of goofing off (which I love, but doesn't get me anywhere).

Thanks for the welcome, though wink

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2693963
12/03/17 12:56 PM
12/03/17 12:56 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Hi Saranoya! So glad to see you back!

You said maybe you shouldn’t be here, because you’re not a beginner anymore.
There have been so many posts about that very topic, I wanted to reply right away.

The forum, and this thread, is for those who started it restarted as adults. As you can never change the fact of when you took up piano ( for the first, second,third...) time- you always fit the category!

That’s a generic “you”.

We have talked about opening up an intermediate level sub forum, but most of us are perfectly happy with the mix of experience and knowledge we can find right here. We are still growing up with our piano skills and , maybe most importantly, we know and love this community.
So if you’ve been playing 10 days, 10 months or 10 years, you're still welcome here!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2694080
12/03/17 10:57 PM
12/03/17 10:57 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Hey, Saranoya. Nice to see you back! My only advice is to make sure you have music that you really love on your piano desk. Playing piano is hard work, and, if you don't love the music, it is hard to force motivation. For me, I would quit playing if I didn't have music that really intrigues and attracts me. It is amazing how much great music exists outside the standard repertoire of the predominant teaching world. Perhaps if you found music that really moved you, you would eagerly seek out your piano. And, to accommodate the busy-ness of your life, you would also adopt much more effective practice techniques in order to fit it in.

casinitaly, I'm just green with envy over your blossoming group. It is exactly what I need, but, have no opportunity for. I'm very happy for you! thumb yippie

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2694554
12/05/17 05:43 PM
12/05/17 05:43 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Ralphiano, I have been searching for a group near me for years- be persistent, you can find one too!!

Today I had another interesting positive experience.
My teacher had to miss the lesson, but the school found a substitute for us.
I had never met this woman before andI was a bit nervous.

She asked me if I wanted to okay something to warm up, so I played To A Wild Rose. It went well and I moved on to the new Chopin piece I just got last Tuesday. I had worked quite well on the first page and played it HS , right then left. I did HT.

She showed me a way to break down two tricky parts, and offered some really good suggestions on pedaling.

We had about 10 minutes left, and rather than spend so little time on the other Chopin piece, I played Traumerei for her. This has been my “stumbling block “ piece and I have been working hard at figuring out why I crash with it and trying to improve my recovery time.
I played it for her with just 2 little stumbles and kept going.
Again she offered a few suggestions which I thought were great.

At the end she said I played with a very good sense of what the music was all about.
I was very pleased I had played well.

I was even more pleased to discover she lives less than a km from me and could be available for some lessons over the summer!

What a great evening!

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya] #2694571
12/05/17 07:22 PM
12/05/17 07:22 PM
Sydney NSW Australia
B
Bach_ingMaddie Online content
Bach_ingMaddie  Online Content
B
Sydney NSW Australia
Originally Posted by Saranoya
Hey, guys

I'm not really sure I belong on this thread, or even on this (adult beginner's) forum, anymore. I've been playing the piano now for the better part of five years, and I wasn't a 'true' adult novice to begin with. I had about two years of piano lessons, total, as a child.

Since starting over in September of 2012, I've had many ups and downs. Some weeks, I've gotten so much done that my teacher wondered whether I slept at all. There have also been months on end where I barely played the piano at all, despite my best intentions. Along the way, I tried my hand at everything from Mozart minuets, over Clementi and Kuhlau Sonatinas, to Beethoven sonata movements, and many many things in between (Burgmüller, Chopin, Haydn, Händel, Piazzolla, ...). But I feel that lately, I'm not getting much playing done at all, anymore.

It's partly a function of a busier professional life (which I grossly underestimated before I made the jump from my previous career into this one), partly a function of not being single anymore (being in a relationship takes time), and partly a function of chronic health issues popping up now and again, although I feel like I shouldn't use those as an explanation for why I don't play the piano that much anymore, because they've always been around.

Anyhow, the fact is, I don't play the piano nearly as much now as I did when I started in 2012, and I feel like I should do something about that. I remember this thread fondly from when I first stumbled upon PianoWorld, as having been extremely encouraging. I thought that maybe, it might help to start posting here somewhat regularly again. I hope you won't mind my being here, despite the fact that I'm clearly not a beginner anymore (and this even though I would like to still be one, because then I could forgive myself for not having made much progress).

For this week, I'll content myself with having decided to do something about this lull as an AOTW. I hope I'll have something more substantial to report next Sunday.

Well, I don't know your domestic situation of course and this is only a suggestion. How about you make an agreement with your relationship significant other person that they cook dinner three nights a week while you practice, the other three nights you cook while they do whatever floats their boat, the seventh night is date night for dinner out. A minimum of three nights a wek is a good start. Then on your weekends take it as it comes but try to fit in one morning before the day takes off. I think we have to make appointments with ourselves and our piano to keep up regularity.

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Bach_ingMaddie] #2694993
12/07/17 06:28 AM
12/07/17 06:28 AM
Brussels, Belgium
S
Saranoya Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Brussels, Belgium
Bach_ingMaddie, that would be a really neat idea, if my significant other had any interest in learning how to cook. Which he doesn't :-). I do get your point about making appointments with ourselves and keeping them, though.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya] #2695321
12/08/17 10:32 AM
12/08/17 10:32 AM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Saranoya

I'm not really sure I belong on this thread, or even on this (adult beginner's) forum, anymore.

What?! OF COURSE you belong here!!
And it's nice to hear from you.

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2696005
12/11/17 07:25 AM
12/11/17 07:25 AM
Brussels, Belgium
S
Saranoya Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Brussels, Belgium
Wow, I had to go look for this thread on the second page. Back when I first got here, that never used to happen ;-).

I don't have much progress to report, but I do have some, and it's about the small things here, right? So, here goes.

I learned to play the piano accompaniment to John Lennon's 'Imagine' in one half-hour practice session last night, using only a lead sheet. That felt pretty good, even though I know it's an easy thing to do. A nagging voice in the back of my head is still telling me I should have been able to do that with no practice at all, after five steady years of piano lessons. Plus, my teacher will think it took me two weeks, because last week I told him I was 'still working on it', even though the reality is that I hadn't worked on it at all.

Mixed feelings ...

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2696012
12/11/17 07:42 AM
12/11/17 07:42 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Brighton Colorado
Good December morning all
I haven't posted in a very long time to this thread but I've been working diligently to improve my technique and my tempo...wish I had done this intensive technique work 20 years ago. Whatever! Yesterday some of the work showed fruit when I performed for our Christmas piano party. I played a lovely medley called Christmas Angels, an arrangement by Jennifer Linn, a late intermediate rendition of the three well known angel songs. It was twice as fast as I would have played it last year. My hands did not shake. I did make some minor errors but kept it moving and it was lovely. My friend, Katanya, and I played a nearly flawless duet of Still, Still, Still. And (drum roll here).. I accompanied the group for singing O Come oh Come Emmanuel. Of course, they sang exuberantly enough to miss any wrong notes but I kept up and sang along too. I'm still smiling.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2696018
12/11/17 07:54 AM
12/11/17 07:54 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Brighton Colorado
Originally Posted by casinitaly
[quote=JimF]Wooohoooo! thumb
What became clear to me this week is that there is a parallel here between public speaking and piano playing (previously I would have said these didn't truly exist, but I'm changing my stance on that smile ) ---- when you take a pause in a speech, (for dramatic effect, or because you've lost your train of thought....) the pause seems long to you but not to your audience. I realized it is really the same for piano - sure you're supposed to keep to the tempo but if you're already so far off that you had to stop, you have to deal with a pause, and for sure - it seems much longer to you than to your listeners.

Congratulations Casinintaly for lessening that performance anxiety. One of the courses we teach in our communication department is, of course, public speaking. The surveys say it is the #1 fear. I've given this a lot of study and thought for sure and yes, the parallels and underlying causes of the anxiety are the same. Fear of failure, desire to be perfect, irrational self-criticism, uncertainty etc. In speaking we do allow ourselves pauses and they can add dramatic effect and power. In playing we should practice to be able to play in complete phrases just as we wouldn't stop in the middle of a sentence. A misspoken word is corrected and minimized and we should also be able to do that in our music. The best way to decrease public speaking anxiety is to speak in front of others. The same must be true for music.

I've heard you play and you make lovely music.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff] #2696106
12/11/17 01:28 PM
12/11/17 01:28 PM
Italy
casinitaly Offline OP

casinitaly  Offline OP

Italy
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
[quote=JimF]Wooohoooo! thumb
What became clear to me this week is that there is a parallel here between public speaking and piano playing (previously I would have said these didn't truly exist, but I'm changing my stance on that smile ) ---- when you take a pause in a speech, (for dramatic effect, or because you've lost your train of thought....) the pause seems long to you but not to your audience. I realized it is really the same for piano - sure you're supposed to keep to the tempo but if you're already so far off that you had to stop, you have to deal with a pause, and for sure - it seems much longer to you than to your listeners.

Congratulations Casinintaly for lessening that performance anxiety. One of the courses we teach in our communication department is, of course, public speaking. The surveys say it is the #1 fear. I've given this a lot of study and thought for sure and yes, the parallels and underlying causes of the anxiety are the same. Fear of failure, desire to be perfect, irrational self-criticism, uncertainty etc. In speaking we do allow ourselves pauses and they can add dramatic effect and power. In playing we should practice to be able to play in complete phrases just as we wouldn't stop in the middle of a sentence. A misspoken word is corrected and minimized and we should also be able to do that in our music. The best way to decrease public speaking anxiety is to speak in front of others. The same must be true for music.

I've heard you play and you make lovely music.

Thanks Wisebuff! I appreciate your support! I actually have no problem speaking in public - (I was in Toastmaster's for year, several years ago), and I too teach public speaking courses - and yet I never really felt there was a connection between playing for others and speaking. Maybe this was because I simply wasn't playing for others often enough to be able to get a handle on what was (still is to a lesser degree) going on.

I do feel that I'm making good progress now - and I'm working on memorizing Traumerie (heaven help me!) to try to remove more of the potential problems - we'll see how it goes.

My Piano Performance Club is meeting again this week! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes!

[Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2696113
12/11/17 01:59 PM
12/11/17 01:59 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida

..............We have talked about opening up an intermediate level sub forum, but most of us are perfectly happy with the mix of experience and knowledge we can find right here. We are still growing up with our piano skills and , maybe most importantly, we know and love this community.
So if you’ve been playing 10 days, 10 months or 10 years, you're still welcome here!

I have been meaning to comment on this for a while but kept forgetting. I think opening an Intermediate Level sub forum would be a mistake. First of all, the true beginners on here need the intermediate level participants to help them - if only real beginners visited here, who would be around to offer tips and advice to them? I for one have appreciated the help of so many members, from intermediates to the pros, on this forum, and hope that in turn, I occasionally have been able to help those newer to the endeavor than I am.

Second, this forum is quite slow enough anyway - there are days in which only a few threads are posted on in any way. Right now, only the top 18 threads have been updated in the last 24 hours, and that's including a weekend.

So I'm glad you've kept it as is. If anything, maybe it could be re-titled "Adult Beginner - Intermediate" forum.

Last edited by cmb13; 12/11/17 02:00 PM.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2696197
12/11/17 06:01 PM
12/11/17 06:01 PM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
Palmpirate  Offline
P
B.C.Canada
Hi everyone. Like saranoya, I never know if this is the right place to be, but as so many of the others mention, support is found in many ways for all of us, so it’s all good. And I too am jealous of casinitaly’s piano group. I’m very much a closet piano player and know very few people who would understand what I try to do. My other half’s appreciation is limited to some Mozart and then Frank Sinatra et al!
I’ve had a traumatic year and Piano has taken a back stage presence for much of it so I had to skip MOYD for 2017. I found it a great motivator even if I did ‘just goof off’ some times. I’ve found I’ve reaped huge benefits from some of the extended breaks I’ve Had to take though.
My achievement of the week is to be comfortably back In routine and back with my piano guru who had really suggested a huge leap with some new pieces.
Certainly not beginner stuff. I’ve done the first 60+ bars of Lizst’s Jeux d’eau de Villa d’Este which took about a month..... and now he’s suggesting I switch to Ravel’s version - inspired by Versailles. I did ask did he really think I could play that! So this is 2017 and I’m 67 so maybe I can realistically hope to play it by the time I’m 70 - 2020 here I come!

[Linked Image]
2018 ambitiously working on - Debussy, Les Collines d'Annacapri; Lizst, Les Jeux d'Eau à la Villa d'Esté; Ravel, Jeux d'eau; and other stuff just for fun!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Palmpirate] #2696224
12/11/17 07:32 PM
12/11/17 07:32 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Palmpirate
Hi everyone. Like saranoya, I never know if this is the right place to be, but as so many of the others mention, support is found in many ways for all of us, so it’s all good. And I too am jealous of casinitaly’s piano group. I’m very much a closet piano player and know very few people who would understand what I try to do. My other half’s appreciation is limited to some Mozart and then Frank Sinatra et al!
I’ve had a traumatic year and Piano has taken a back stage presence for much of it so I had to skip MOYD for 2017. I found it a great motivator even if I did ‘just goof off’ some times. I’ve found I’ve reaped huge benefits from some of the extended breaks I’ve Had to take though.
My achievement of the week is to be comfortably back In routine and back with my piano guru who had really suggested a huge leap with some new pieces.
Certainly not beginner stuff. I’ve done the first 60+ bars of Lizst’s Jeux d’eau de Villa d’Este which took about a month..... and now he’s suggesting I switch to Ravel’s version - inspired by Versailles. I did ask did he really think I could play that! So this is 2017 and I’m 67 so maybe I can realistically hope to play it by the time I’m 70 - 2020 here I come!
Good to have you back at piano and here's hoping the tough days are well behind you. It is kind of scary when your teacher suggests something that feels like a giant leap--good that they have faith in your abilities, but sometimes you can't help but wonder what they've been smoking. laugh

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2696244
12/11/17 08:40 PM
12/11/17 08:40 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
I don't often post achievements here, but, I've recently had a modest, but great and unexpected boost in ability or technique that is paying nice dividends.

Most of my focus for last 6-8 months has been on getting ALL unnecessary tension out of my hands while playing. I absolutely know the importance of it from my misspent youth, when I spent undue time and effort becoming a very good foosball player. Tension was the difference between death and life in that game.

My favorite YouTube performance over the last couple of months has been a Schubert Serenade (transcribed by Listz, I think), performed by Khatia Buniatishvili. I just can't stop listening.

One day, a couple of weeks ago, I was watching the video, and, for some reason, the image at one short point in the video caught me. It is a place in the melody where she was called upon to play about 4 successive chords in the right hand melody within a span of about one second. I was struck by how her fingers appeared to be ready to just fall off her hand as she prepared for the passage; only the skin appeared to hold the hand together as a unit. Her fingers appeared like ripe peppers, just dangling and ready to fall to earth at any moment. Her fingers were so relaxed that you can even see them deflect slightly from the resistance of the key. And, when they descended into the keys, the sound they produced was beautiful.

The image of her hand and those fingers has stayed with me, and has helped me make another great increment forward in my quest to play without tension. I am just starting to play Schubert's Ecossaise contained in the RCM Repertoire Level 2 book, and it requires a swift little romp through some successive chords in the right hand melody. With that image in mind, I've had the easiest time ever dealing with successive chords, and those parts of the piece that initially appeared to pose the greatest hurdle have just given in to me. I'm shocked, stunned, and very happy. I think I'll have the piece in good shape in very short order, contrary to my initial impressions and expectations.

I guess this is a case where a picture was worth a thousand words, or more.

If interested, the segment I referred to is at 3:22 of this: Youtube

Last edited by Ralphiano; 12/11/17 08:42 PM.

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2697305
12/16/17 12:10 AM
12/16/17 12:10 AM
New York
M
Medved1 Offline

Medved1  Offline

M
New York
Must be relaxation week at Adult Beginners' forum - had a similar feeling of breakthrough with a series chromatic passages....in parallel thirds.....for the left hand...... from the Haydn sonata I'm working on (still the same one as a couple of months ago, but on the 2nd movement!). My fingers were feeling glued to the keys at a certain point. I could get to a set of notes, but couldn't get off of them to move on. My teacher had walked me through the downward patterns - 1-3, 2-4, 3-5, followed by 1-2, 1-3, 2-4, 3-5 ....and the modifications to do upward patterns. I had gotten it, but at the expense of freezing at each new position. This week, something unfroze - maybe part of it was taking a moment (several) to try to analyze what was behind the progression - what key, what position and/or inversion - when there is a jump to a new key, what is it - and that seemed to release my hand - maybe it finally had a better idea of where it was supposed to go to.

That being said, I'm going to go watch the video of Katia Buniatishivili - it sounds like it will help!

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2697312
12/16/17 01:17 AM
12/16/17 01:17 AM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
monkeeys  Offline
Union SC
I started Hanon this week. I’m excited to learn it after hearing so much about them.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: monkeeys] #2697565
12/17/17 08:50 AM
12/17/17 08:50 AM
Brussels, Belgium
S
Saranoya Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Brussels, Belgium
Hey, carolinakeys! How's Hanon treating you? wink

I spent most of my piano time this week on a simple exercise my accompaniment teacher gave me: improvising on an ostinato bass line. It's deceptively fun to do and there is no clear 'finish line'. It can keep me occupied and entertained for hours, so I haven't spent nearly as much time as I should have on the Mozart and Bach pieces I've been working on for an embarrassingly long time. I have another piano lesson on Wednesday morning. I don't know what I'm going to tell my teacher ...

Also, I spent a significant portion of the weekend writing about Verdi's Requiem for my music appreciation course. In the process, I discovered that I actually do like opera, and that I've known a surprisingly large number of (Verdi) opera tunes all my life, without realizing it. I just don't like the way Wagner wrote opera, I guess.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: monkeeys] #2697568
12/17/17 09:07 AM
12/17/17 09:07 AM
Sydney NSW Australia
B
Bach_ingMaddie Online content
Bach_ingMaddie  Online Content
B
Sydney NSW Australia
Originally Posted by carolinakeys
I started Hanon this week. I’m excited to learn it after hearing so much about them.

I love it!

"Study Bach: there you will find everything" - Johannes Brahms.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Bach_ingMaddie] #2697578
12/17/17 10:01 AM
12/17/17 10:01 AM
London UK
E
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Exalted Wombat  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
London UK
Originally Posted by Bach_ingMaddie
Originally Posted by carolinakeys

I love it!

Oh, for those happy, innocent days!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2697629
12/17/17 01:41 PM
12/17/17 01:41 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
monkeeys  Offline
Union SC
I’m gonna get back on it today. I got sidetracked by a busted waterline this weekend. Nothing more fun than plumbing in the winter. I’ve a lot of practice to make up.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2697637
12/17/17 02:02 PM
12/17/17 02:02 PM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Online content

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
Costa del Sol
I had my third performance workshop with my teacher and two other students on Saturday. This was the most intense one yet! We each played three pieces that we are working on, and then the group discussed their impression. For all of us, these are works in progress, not polished pieces. One person was preparing for her diploma, one was a piano teacher herself, and then there was me- a ABRSM grade 8 student. My first piece went well, but the other two - my Bach fugue and my Beethoven sonata - fell apart terribly. It is the first time that I have done that poorly. I took both too fast because I was nervous in front of the more experienced players. However, they did make errors too. So the AOTW was to learn to not let myself get rattled, and stay in control. I knew I was going too fast, and should have restarted. The other students were very kind, and I will do better next time! Needless to say, I spent a lot of time on those two pieces today!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2697659
12/17/17 03:55 PM
12/17/17 03:55 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
Great to see that spirit, SwissMs - don't let a little setback get you down - fight to overcome it! I'm sure the Beethoven Sonata was no light piece!

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2697839
12/18/17 08:43 AM
12/18/17 08:43 AM
Brighton Colorado
W
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member
WiseBuff  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Brighton Colorado
SwissMS, I'm so impressed that you were doing that challenge of working in a performance group like that. I know you will get over the nerves and learn great things with your difficult pieces. I wonder if I can find a performance group for more late intermediate skill.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wise as in learner
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2697851
12/18/17 10:39 AM
12/18/17 10:39 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
south florida
Seasons Greetings!

It is nice to come back here and see so many familiar faces posting, with some, like me, being mostly AWOL for much of the year... just like coming home for the holidays.

My piano pace has definitely slowed, with fewer practice hours per week and a slower cadence of new material. But lessons continue and technique slowly improves. It's funny, but I think practicing less has lead me to practicing better..... smaller bits, more thoughtfully approached. And somehow knowing I'm not always going to be well prepared has weirdly allowed me to get out of my own way... like blasting though self erected speed barriers in the Tarantella I worked on. For the last few months I've been reviving some prior favorites to create a playing repertoire. It is very satisfying for me to work on improving/bringing back prior pieces with better current technique.

Best of all, after seven years of lessons I have been assigned the piece that started it all, Debussy's Claire de Lune.... trying to self-teach myself CDL after hacking through Alfred Adult 1 in 2009. What was I thinking? LOL.
I'm excited to dig in now when I'm confident I can handle it.

Happy Holidays to all and best wishes for a wonderful New Year! thumb

Jim

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy
Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 314 of 319 1 2 312 313 314 315 316 318 319

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Highlights of Philly... and its not just the Cheesesteaks
by UnderConstruction. 04/22/18 02:00 AM
Creating practice songs
by ManishP. 04/22/18 01:43 AM
Monitor for reading sheet music
by Angelos58. 04/22/18 01:17 AM
Opening a Roland HP 603?
by Issac. 04/22/18 12:07 AM
Restored pianos - General Question
by almo82. 04/21/18 11:46 PM
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,172
Posts2,711,735
Members90,041
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission