Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (ajames, Adypiano, accordeur, Almaviva, agraffe, aleksivu, 28 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 305 of 309 1 2 303 304 305 306 307 308 309
#2620338 - 03/04/17 05:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Pianoperformance Offline
Pianoperformance  Offline

Palmpirate, speedy recovery, you inspire us with your strength, and I hope MOYD 2017 isn't a complete miss for you.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2620572 - 03/05/17 02:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Palmpirtate,

Sending you my best positive vibe and wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Jim

Tarantella, Pieczonka
Sonatine, No.2 Menuet - MRavel

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2620763 - 03/06/17 08:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
barbaram Online content
500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Online Content

500 Post Club Member

Thinking of you palmpirate, and sending you good wishes and positive vibes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery

#2621646 - 03/08/17 08:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
At my piano lesson this week I butchered my Bach, but my teacher said my Mendelssohn represented a breakthrough. Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile Still, I was pleased with the compliment, especially after what I did to poor Herr Bach.

[Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2622088 - 03/09/17 11:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]  
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile

That's hilarious! laugh

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015
#2622917 - 03/12/17 08:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
cathryn999 Offline
500 Post Club Member
cathryn999  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Australia
@Stubbie, what Bach and what Mendelssohn are you doing?

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
#2622942 - 03/12/17 10:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Isabelle1949  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New Orleans, LA
Worked with my duet partner yesterday and we are making progress!!! So much fun!!!

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
#2622958 - 03/12/17 11:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]  
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
... Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile ...

My teacher always laughs when I report a percentage.

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

#2622964 - 03/12/17 11:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Qazsedcft Offline
500 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Toronto, Canada
I got a new teacher this week. Imagine my shock when after hearing me play she pulled out the RCM Level 7 and Level 8 books and asked me to pick something. I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to that level! eek

Sometimes we feel like we've plateaued at a certain level and then we realize after a while that the plateau is more of a gradual slope and that we've made a ton of progress. Well, that's how I feel now. smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2622967 - 03/12/17 11:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by malkin
... Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile ...

My teacher always laughs when I report a percentage.
I started to tell my teacher it was an N = 1, but "N of one" usually gets heard something like "enovwon" and then there's a lot of explaining to do. smile

[Linked Image]
#2622970 - 03/12/17 11:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cathryn999]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by cathryn999
@Stubbie, what Bach and what Mendelssohn are you doing?
The Bach is the Allemande from French Suite No. 6 and the Mendelssohn is May Breezes, Op. 62 no. 1, from Songs Without Words. For the Bach, the fingering needs to be just so, but I had a hard time figuring out and sticking to a fingering for the Mendelssohn. I have a new newly assigned Mendelssohn, Elegy, Op. 85 no. 4. It's beautiful and, bonus, the fingering seems more straightforward.

[Linked Image]
#2622974 - 03/12/17 12:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
malkin Offline
4000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Haha Stubbie!

"enovwon" would be a great user id!

Having power is not nearly as important as what you choose to do with it.
– Roald Dahl

#2623051 - 03/12/17 05:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Isabelle, the duet does sound like fun. Is it just for fun (and enrichment) or are you going to perform it for a group?

Qazsedcft, it's always a buzz when you get reinforcement that you're making progress. Congrats!

[Linked Image]
#2623083 - 03/12/17 07:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Pianoperformance Offline

After some challenges with triplets over quarter notes, I finally made progress to end of page 2 of Debussy arabesques 1..with slow practice in play. So happy. Working on right hand fingering on first 4 measures on page 3...; Chopin nocturne 9.2, finally both hands for first 5 measure...slow practice...ha. Doesn't seem a lot if measured in number of measures, but significant for me and before next lesson. With e-recitals in play, plus a ravel that teacher wants me to tackle. I think I may do a staycation soon...🤗

#2623095 - 03/12/17 08:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Over the last week or so, I went back to finish up the remaining pieces in my RCM, Level 1 books, which, I had neglected in recent months in favor of more advanced pieces by Tansman, Gillock, and some others. Last night I finished the final RCM Level 1 piece.

I enthusiastically opened the Level 2 Repertoire book, and started tinkering with a couple of pieces. To my great pleasure, they started yielding to me almost instantly. I was a bit shocked. I think my excursion through these other composers, more in the Romantic era mode, really helped me. I never doubted that those materials, especially Tansman, were more difficult, but, I had no idea by how much. I'm optimistic that I will progress through RCM Level 2 materials at a faster rate than I proceeded through Level 1. I'm very happy and excited about this. smile

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
#2623887 - 03/15/17 07:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Italy
Ralph- what a great feeling! It is great when we start being able to recognize our progress in a concrete way.

I had another great lesson - yup, I'm on a roll for sure!

I played through the 1st movement of my new sonatina (Diabelli Op 168 N1) HT for the first part, HS for the second - but implementing the suggestions from last week rather well - I was happy, so was my teacher.

I also played Traumerei with the pedal and my teacher was pleased that I had a good sense of when and where to apply it - though he pointed out a few things I had missed.

Every week, for quite a while now, I've been feeling wonderfully satisfied with how the lessons unfold, and how I've been able to implement my teacher's feedback from one lesson to the next. I don't know how long this phase is going to last, but I am going to enjoy every moment of it.

I think one of the most important things that happened to me, internally, was that I finally, consciously, got to the point where I realized and accepted that the lesson is not a performance (well, 95% of the time). I've been able to separate the "demonstrating what I practiced" from the "ok, this piece is performance ready" moment that only happens at the end of the study period for a given piece.
That has helped me be so much calmer during lessons and lets me perform without worrying about errors or little glitches.
SwissMs posted about that and her message really hit home. So, thanks SwissMS!

[Linked Image]
#2624741 - 03/18/17 06:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
cathryn999 Offline
500 Post Club Member
cathryn999  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Australia
I had a small AOTW I want to share. With some significant changes in my life over the past 12 months, I'm getting barely any time to practice, and I've been wondering how on earth I'll ever progress from here.

Today, being Saturday, I ignored the washing, the housework, and mowing the lawn, and instead managed to work my Mozart up from 70bpm to 90 bpm with only about another 10bpm to go. Woohoo!

I'm feeling confident I'll have this nailed for the EPP2017 (Bulgaria), yay!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
#2625495 - 03/20/17 06:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
casinitaly Offline

casinitaly  Offline

Italy
Cathryn - that's a big leap in tempo! Good for you!

My ATOW doesn't come from any of the pieces I'm currently working on .

I was looking at my Diabelli OP 168 book and just flipping forward -- my experience has been that N1 and N2 in any given OP are easier and I was wondering what N3 would be like. I looked at the first movement and though...oh dear. Then the second movement...Hhmm. Not bad. 6/8 time, hmm, I started reading it and realized I could actually read both lines as if I were playing AND I could hear it in my head. Now, I don't really think I heard it exactly as it truly sounds, - but "close enough" - It's the first time I've read music "silently" like that to such effect.

I was very pleased.

Oh, and yes, my study pieces are coming along well too smile

[Linked Image]
#2625658 - 03/21/17 11:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
SwissMS Online content
1000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
Cathryn - That is a big leap in tempo. Good for you! which Mozart are you playing?

Casinitaly - Being able to hear a piece while reading the sheet music without playing it is a really valuable skill! It sounds like you are doing great.

I had my last "on the piano lesson" last Tuesday, and all of my pieces went very well. The teacher was very pleased with how my exam pieces are sounding, and she complemented my on my Beethoven, which I had not played in a lesson for a while. My AOTW was hearing that she felt my technique had really improved since we started lessons in January. That really made me happy!

I am taking theory and aural test lessons now, until my new piano can be delivered to our home. That will probably be two more weeks. frown However I am really enjoying the theory work, sight singing, and piece analysis that we do in lessons. It is like a crash course in music theory, and has led me to do more analysis of the pieces that I am playing. I am having a blast with it!

#2626299 - 03/23/17 04:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
PianoStartsAt33 Online content
PianoStartsAt33  Online Content

Murmansk
Hello everyone! Nice topic)
I've finally understood that it's almost a year and a half since I've been playing piano, but I still got no peices learned)) I mean, entire pieces, not just a small parts, a dozens of measures etc. It's so hard to learn one piece from the beginning to the end when all these sonatas and etudes and scherzos I like are so difficult and long)) So, I found an easy way out - to be learned from the beginning to the end, a piece should be short)) I've chosen nice little piece by Scriabin and made my first video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIlpKWWVT-c

#2626306 - 03/23/17 04:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PianoStartsAt33]  
Ralphiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
Hello everyone! Nice topic)
I've finally understood that it's almost a year and a half since I've been playing piano, but I still got no peices learned)) I mean, entire pieces, not just a small parts, a dozens of measures etc. It's so hard to learn one piece from the beginning to the end when all these sonatas and etudes and scherzos I like are so difficult and long)) So, I found an easy way out - to be learned from the beginning to the end, a piece should be short)) I've chosen nice little piece by Scriabin and made my first video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIlpKWWVT-c

Congratulations on your first video.

If not learning pieces to completion bothers you, I'd recommend identifying shorter pieces that you enjoy hearing, and learn to play them. Like you, I have been playing just under two years, and I am continually amazed at how much nice music has been composed for us beginners.

Good luck with your progress! smile

Ralph

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
#2627549 - 03/27/17 09:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Medved1 Offline
Medved1  Offline

New York
this could also come under the heading of "not so great practice habits figures something out". I have, among other bad habits, the bad habit of letting my hand do alot of excess movement toward and away from the fallboard. I know I do it, I know it gets in the way of accuracy and solid learning of passage work, I think I'm controlling it, and then I look down and it turns out I am not coming close.

I am learning some stretch pieces right now - the 3rd movement of Mozart K282 and the first movement of Beethoven Op 10 #1, and I don't want to give either of them up - really a thrill every time something comes together (but darn, so many more notes!). But unlearning this bad habit and stretch pieces don't really go together.

So I went out on Saturday and bought a book of easy classics "Purcell to Mozart" and a book of Hungarian Dances from Galanta - both of them almost sight-readable, but presenting enough challenge to be interesting....and I can feel my hand staying in the right place. Not 100%, but I can actually feel what it's doing, and control the horizontal line on the keyboard.

The Hungarian Dances from Galanta is a facimile of an 1803 piano transcription of Gypsy dances from the Esterhazy orchestra. The forward says they were part of the inspiration for Brahms and Kodaly after him. And I can play them! maybe not up to tempo, but definitely with some bounce. Look for them on my "40 pieces a year challenge" list!

Last edited by Medved1; 03/27/17 10:07 PM.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
#2631492 - 04/09/17 07:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
RaggedKeyPresser Online blank
500 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Online Blank
500 Post Club Member

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
My Achievement of the week is to move on to the next piece.
A piece I have no idea what it is about yet. And it's one that first looks impossible to make sense of in the beginning, as usual.
I've played through the "A" section a bit, and I'm starting to form an impression though.

Working through Czerny's first baby beginning steps for classical piano.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #75 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.
#2634085 - 04/18/17 12:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
barbaram Online content
500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Online Content

500 Post Club Member

This week I've been really aware of when my hand position is ok for the notes I am playing but is not correctly anticipating where it will need to go after that.
I don't mean fingering (though that too), but things like the angle of my hand, position of my wrist, forearm etc. I would notice that it wasn't going to let me get where I needed to go and stop before making the error.

This seems blindingly obvious, but I don't recall noticing it when at this sort of stage with previous pieces. (This sort of stage being that I know the notes, more or less, and am working on things flowing more smoothly, joining up sections, etc).

#2634104 - 04/18/17 12:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: barbaram]  
SwissMS Online content
1000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
I am getting lots of time playing in front of others this week. I have the digital set up in the salon and I am getting in my three hours of practice in front of all of the workers completing our home. The window installers are in the kitchen, the finish carpenters are putting in closets and doors, and the architect pops in once in a while. I just play on, practicing my exam pieces, my technical work, and a bit of Granada, a bit of Bach. I haven't sung my aural yet, but I haven't been nervous playing in front of everyone. So my accomplishment of the week is not being intimidated by all the activity and being able to concentrate on my playing!

#2634186 - 04/18/17 06:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Pianoperformance Offline

After dropping Chopin nocturne 9.2 to focus on Debussy arabesques 1 and jesu . Joy of mans desiring...made great progress in Debussy. Finally feeling comfortable with playing this through at steady rhythm to page 3 of 5. Achieved more than what was required for homework. Maybe I will get this to decent technical state by end of June, and not Christmas as I originally thought. Not sure I will get it to performance level, as this remains such a technical learning piece for me. The triplets had got me in for a loop, and I thought I wouldn't conquer them, but I did. So much slow practice and patience. It does pay off.

#2634272 - 04/19/17 02:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
casinitaly Offline

casinitaly  Offline

Italy
Lots of good things going on this week! Three cheers for us!
I especially enjoy hearing about what folks suddenly realize and start to correct.

My teacher drew my attention to my "wandering thumbs" a few weeks ago. I had somehow developed a tendency to hold my hand so that my thumbs weren't actually over the keyboard. This was tripping me up on several points. I haven't corrected it comppletely, but I am doing much better.

This made a particular difference in Traumerei. I now have the piece at a steady performance level and the pedalling is just about right. I hope to perform it in the May recital.

My new Diabelli sonatina (Op 168 N.1 in F) - I am now working on all three movements. In the first I have a few bars which are still giving me grief. I have focus sessions on them every day. The second I have sorted out for fingering and study tempo, it's coming along - its a slow movement and the most charming of the three (which are all delighful, so that's saying a lot). The third movement is a rondo, and there are some very cute right-hand-over parts which promise to be tricky.

My overall achievement recently is simply that I finally feel that every time I sit down I am truly "playing the piano" -even when studying there is more musicality and fluidity. I have a small repertoire I am maintaining and my time at the piano is consistently satisfying. (Long may it last! smile )

[Linked Image]
#2634346 - 04/19/17 09:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
Palmpirate Offline
Palmpirate  Offline

B.C.Canada
Stubbie, Ralphiano and nancyde, Thank you for your kind messages. 6 weeks into recovery and all's well. I am very fortunate to have the benefit of modern medical advances, and to have such unexpected and far-reaching expressions of support!
I've hopefuly signed back onto MYOD and will start back at lessons Thursday this week. I am excited to 'show off' progress after this break to my teacher and to start on some new challenges. I really am suprized at how much better I am at old pieces! And to have learned just what slow practice is! I really do mean s.l.o.w. I could not lift my right arm for several weeks and had to go left hand only for short spells. It really made me listen to the left hand. It's too easy to add a bit of right here and there over the 'easy' bits which stopped me from hearing the complete flow of the left.... Bach, Beethoven and Brahms really have benefited!
Having been brought up short by this past experience I really am determined to record something even if its only for the grandkids, and maybe I'll feel good enough to post up here. You all do so well, it's always uplifting to hear your stories and achievements.
Thanks again and again.

[Linked Image]

#2634363 - 04/19/17 11:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
barbaram Online content
500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Online Content

500 Post Club Member

Good to read this update Palmpirate - hope recovery continues well

#2634461 - 04/19/17 04:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]  
nancyde Offline
nancyde  Offline

Wonderful to hear that things are going well! I look forward to that recording.

Page 305 of 309 1 2 303 304 305 306 307 308 309

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my perfect piano
by vais4pianists. 06/22/17 10:47 AM
Used QRS midi strip /Pianodisk midi strip
by Marc NY. 06/22/17 09:42 AM
1899 Knabe Concert Grand
by Keith D Kerman. 06/22/17 09:29 AM
Returning to Piano after awhile
by acdyer23. 06/22/17 06:38 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,389
Posts2,638,175
Members88,153
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission