2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1434363 05/11/10 11:34 AM
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've been working on a very challenging piece, way above my level for the past 3 months as a side project, my teacher and I put a lot of time and effort into it and even though I'm no where near playing it at full tempo, I feel like I've achieved a lot by studying the piece. I can now actually play through the 3 pages of music without stopping and with few mistakes. I'm going to be playing it for the online recital we have here in 3 days and also during a recital that the academy I take lessons at is having for the end of the school year.

After the recital I'm putting it away for a few months and I'll work on it again someday, I'm sure it will be much easier the second time after I get more experienced.

I'm a bit proud of myself, just thought I'd share how I feel. This is one of the few occasions I actually put work consistently into something. I feel that I'll learn more than just playing piano along the way smile

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

WOOT!! Give yourself a hearty pat on the back for setting a challenging goal and sticking with it! thumb Can't wait to hear it at the recital.

Congratulations! Would you mind to tell us what piece it was, or is it a surprise for the recital? smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Well my teacher played a huge role in it, if it wasn't for her, I would have given up along the way, she has a way of motivating me and even when I play something bad she shows me what's wrong and usually that helps me correct it. I'm so glad I was lucky enough to have a good teacher.

I like it when I sometimes get stuck in a piece I can normally play and I start making stupid mistakes and we both laugh about it

Teacher: You were supposed to play G, not A.
Me: (plays A again) Like this?
Teacher: Not quite.
Me: Ooooh, the other G laugh

Originally Posted by Pianosaurus Rex
Congratulations! Would you mind to tell us what piece it was, or is it a surprise for the recital? smile

It's this one.

I'm very excited about this upcoming recital of the academy for one more reason - I get to play a grand piano for the first time ^_^

Here is a pic of the hall where the recital will take place next week:

[Linked Image]

It's in an old house in the ancient part of town.

Last edited by Teodor; 05/11/10 12:07 PM.

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Wow - the hall is stupendous! and CONGRATULATIONS!
You've got a superb approach and it really sounds like you are enjoying this piece wholeheartedly! I can't wait to hear it at the recital, it looks lovely on paper (and in my head smile )

Good for you!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Teodor,
I was looking over your music and I am perplexed at how to play measure 22. How does your teacher have you play this?
Carl

Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It's easier to show you than to explain but here it goes: hold the pedal when playing the B octaves in both hands, the A in both hands comes right after you play the octaves, so make sure you get there fast, then you hold it (no need to hold since the sustain pedal is pressed but it should sound) till you count to 3 and a half then proceed, clear the pedal when necessary. There is nothing special about this measure. I don't know why the arranger placed that rest, the pedal is pressed all throughout the measure anyway, so it's irrelevant. Maybe there is a better way to play it, I don't actually think about it much anymore.

Perhaps if you hear the music, it will make more sense?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHBJ-UrDNk

A lot of things didn't make sense for me till I could finally play them a bit faster and better, then it all clicked together and started to make sense, especially the final few measures before the ending Maestoso part. (we simplified that part a bit because I couldn't keep up with so many octaves and chords, they make my hands hurt + we removed the chord progressions in the maestoso part because it was too much to think about at this point, though I do them fine HS, I can't think about them too when playing HT :))

Carl, if you decide to learn this piece please make a recording and share with us! I'd love to hear another interpretation.

Last edited by Teodor; 05/11/10 01:00 PM.

[Linked Image]

Oh, that's a pretty piece, Teodor!

As for measure 22, Carl, I think Teodor's advice is sound: Pedal that sucker into submission. smokin

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
hold the pedal when playing the B octaves in both hands, the A in both hands comes right after you play the octaves, so make sure you get there fast, then you hold it (no need to hold since the sustain pedal is pressed but it should sound) till you count to 3 and a half then proceed, clear the pedal when necessary. There is nothing special about this measure. I don't know why the arranger placed that rest, the pedal is pressed all throughout the measure anyway, so it's irrelevant.

I thought that might be the case. I am looking forward to hearing it in the recital this weekend!

H
H
Yes, nice hall indeed. Congrats on the achievement.

It will be much easier next time you pick it up. I've done that with quite a few pieces. Learn it 60% then shelve it, then learn it 80% and shelve it and then figure out the rest another day. It keeps the music fresher for me and prevents boredom from setting in too often.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That's the spirit Teodor. We need more positive posts like this as I am SO sick of all the "no motivation to play" type crap.

Everyone needs to pound their chest once in a while and actually stand up and be proud of what they accomplished.

I'll listen to *pride* of accomplishment stories everyday as it serves as a motivator for others as well. It's the negative droop plop that turns me off.

I'm proud of you. Just shows what practice can do!

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It's my 3rd recital tomorrow. Call my crazy but today I rehearsed everything, and I mean everything, from wearing my formal clothes for the recital to playing the pieces imagining there was an audience to imagining applause in the end and bowing to the empty room. During this last week I played it on 4 different pianos just to make sure I am not dependent on a single instrument, also I played for 4 different people which is supposed to make me feel less nervous on the day of the performance because I didn't know any of them and I managed to stay focused most of the time with a few exceptions.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night! I have no idea where the venue is so I'm meeting up with my teacher beforehand and she'll guide the way. I know for sure I'll have time to try the grand beforehand, I think even just playing a few scales will help me adjust to it. I hope the action is not too light or I will start missing notes :S

Too bad it took me an extra week to get the recital pieces up to speed, I wanted them to be ready for our forum recital before that but I couldn't finish them in time for it.

Last edited by Teodor; 05/21/10 01:36 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Best of luck Teodor, I am sure you will be phenomenal!!!
Tomorrow night imagine some additional Piano World applause as you take your bow!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good luck Teodor thumb thumb

Yes...you can grin grin

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
good work...hard work pays off it seems

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good luck, Teodor, and have fun at your concert.

That's a very impressive piece for someone who's only been playing for 5 months!

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I had a blast last night. The concert grand felt really good, I'm glad I got to play on such a high-quality instrument.

Here is a picture from a previous recital:
[Linked Image]

I'm the guy in the back in the middle (with the longish hair) and my super awesome teacher is right next to me smile

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm so glad to hear the report, Teodor - I was waiting to see how it went since you were so keyed and it was such a beautiful venue. Congratulations!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yeah. I can't wait to see the recording from that night smile

When I started my first piece, which is rather easy, it felt and sounded all wrong, I switched some notes and played some an octave above. Then I adjusted myself for the second piece and it came out alright. But this time was so much different than before, I actually had FUN performing it was a thrilling experience for me.

Last edited by Teodor; 05/24/10 08:21 AM.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission