2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't really have any advice, but I will say that I'm pulling for you. I'm over 50 (barely) and utterly devoid of talent myself. No teacher, though. When I don't want to play something I don't. I only play pieces I enjoy listening to. Of course, I'm not getting better, either, without a teacher to challenge me. You just have to decide if you want to be lazy like me and never get any better or continue with a teacher and make at least some progress in your playing. If the lessons are a financial stretch, perhaps your teacher would be open to reducing their frequency to save you some money.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Frycek, I understand you. I passed thru a similar situation last year. The first teacher I had was pretty good, I started lessons with her in my former town. Later, because work, I moved to a new city and a new teacher. And he was totally nuts (the new teacher), old fashined (coins on the hands like), changed absolute everything my former teacher was doing, gave me terrible stuff to work on, and the lessons were terrible... the thing just didn't work (and he was the most expensive of all).

So I didn't think twice, I just changed teachers, and this was one of the best decisions I made recently. My new teacher is awesome! Amongst the 3 teachers I had, she cares less with stupid details (like if my mouth is half opened of closed when I play) and more in technique and good taste.

Don't be afraid, be honest with yourself, if you are not linking to the point you are even posting this here, so I think is time to change teachers!

cheers

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
OK, I've studied with her for five months. It's not so much a matter of my rising to her challenges as feeling that I'm spending an awful lot of time rapidly gathering low hanging fruit -in other words being made to learn the first movement of a Beethoven sonata in a week when I'd be a lot more satisfied and challenged spending a month on the first page of a Chopin etude. As for the lack of personal bond -it's just that, not a dislike - just an indifference on her part. I feel like I could fall of the earth tomorrow and not elicit so much as a casual sigh. That would be beside the point if I were otherwise satsified but it's a factor that would make leaving easier. If there were any sort of bond forming I might feel more comfortable with challeneging her "program" for me. As it is I feel her attitude is this his how I teach, take it or leave it.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I know how you love those challenging Chopin pieces! Perhaps you should simply tell your teacher you prefer to work on those pieces and that you would like her to help you master them.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
C
C
Hi Frycek, life is too short to waste. The most important thing is to have fun. If you don't enjoy what you are doing, then change it. Good luck!

I took a dozen lessons. Totally bored. And my teacher would never 'show' me anything. I started 'self-teaching' in August of '09. I bought books and actually studied, took the tests, played everyday, studied on the internet, learned the keys, chords...I feel like I have learned more in 9 months than I could have learned in 5 years of lessons. There have been less than 5 days in 9 months that I don't sit at my piano.(until I just HAVE to get up!) It is one of the most enjoyable, fulfilling things in my life. And I see and feel growth every week. I would like to find a teacher that would show me the secrets, tricks, chord patterns... I'm almost 50 and am not going to be a concert pianist. But I can play just about any song in my church hymnal! And I am loving every minute of it. I guess I wanted a teacher that would show me more.

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
Gosh, I don't punch the air and shout yippee after each lesson,
That's what's wrong with the teaching/learning profession. Is delving into such a great mystery so bland?
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I think that while not every lesson will be stellar, you should generally feel excited about the next time you get to practice when you leave. If you don't, (or worse, you feel like giving up after a lesson!) then you know it's not working out with this teacher.
More sober but very true.

She makes you play Beethoven!? Why would you play Beethoven when you can play Chopin?

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
You mustn't lose your delight in music whatever happens, Frycek. Work from that premise and do whatever has to be done. A bit of thought should tell you exactly what is causing this loss of interest. Examine your finest moments in music and understand how they came into being. Think about the precise origins of your previous musical pleasure. Think about why these occurrences are now absent. I doubt the answers will be complicated and they may or may not involve your new teacher.

Of course if the same negativity is permeating the rest of your life, then that is an altogether different problem.

Last edited by Ted; 05/12/10 02:26 AM.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've cancelled my lessons for now, ending on a friendly note hinting that I might like to come back some time in the future.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hmmm, 5 months, that is probably 20 lessons... I think you either need to talk to her, or tell her she's fired.

Why is she having you play the Beethoven piece? Do you know what her teaching philosophy is, and agree with it? She has to have a reason for what she's having you do, and you have to understand and agree with that reason. If not, time to go elsewhere.

Given your love of Chopin, I can see how there would be great benefit in having you play some things from the standard repertoire that are a little easier and would allow a focused attention on certain technical and or musical aspects. But that only works if she's clear about why she's having you play something and if you're clear on what you're supposed to be getting out of each piece.

I think you either need to have a serious talk with her about lessons goals, or maybe you should quit. 5 months is long enough for both of you to be used to each other etc.

When I go to my lessons , I am always excited about going. When I finish my lessons I always feel like I've benefited from the time spent. That doesn't mean that the lessons are never hard or never frustrating. And there are times when I didn't prepare as much as I'd like. But my teacher understands that I am a grad student and school has to come first. She is always only ever encouraging. These are things we should expect from our teachers. Do not settle. Talk to her. And don't let this experience keep you away from the music you love.

Please let us know what you decide. And don't be discouraged by this , if it doesn't work out, it is not your fault!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HappyApple
I took a dozen lessons. Totally bored. And my teacher would never 'show' me anything. I started 'self-teaching' in August of '09. I bought books and actually studied, took the tests, played everyday, studied on the internet, learned the keys, chords...I feel like I have learned more in 9 months than I could have learned in 5 years of lessons. There have been less than 5 days in 9 months that I don't sit at my piano.(until I just HAVE to get up!) It is one of the most enjoyable, fulfilling things in my life. And I see and feel growth every week. I would like to find a teacher that would show me the secrets, tricks, chord patterns... I'm almost 50 and am not going to be a concert pianist. But I can play just about any song in my church hymnal! And I am loving every minute of it. I guess I wanted a teacher that would show me more.

One of the best (and most inspiring) posts I've read anywhere in the forums at any time - there is much wisdom in this for all us self-teachers - thanks HappyApple - you've made me a HappyCamper! thumb

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Fyrcek, oops, you must have posted while I was typing.

Anyway,I am glad you came to a decision. Now, back to the keyboard and find your joy again!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission