Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
61 registered members (Chrispy, 36251, Animisha, Chopin Acolyte, akc42, Bett, CyberGene, AWilley, 15 invisible), 1,227 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
So exactly how should you learn blues/gospel/jazz.... #1434353
05/11/10 11:17 AM
05/11/10 11:17 AM
S
snakechaser Offline OP
snakechaser  Offline OP
S

Sorry for opening another thread, but I believe this doesn't fit anywhere in particularly well.

In a couple of topics these days I've read some really interesting stuff. In some thread I especially liked the remark about blues/jazz/gospel/etc. music being "caught" rather than "taught".
So, if that kind of music is "caught", how would one catch it?

Listening, a lot, of course is the first best thing to do. But what's next?
Should you play along with it with some of your -no matter how tiny/simple- improvisations? Should you try to mimic it? Or perhaps transcribe it?
Is it best to learn one piece thoroughly, listening it over and over again, understanding in some way what is being played. Or is it best to just listen to as much different songs as possible, to really get the hang of it?

Since a couple of weeks I've been playing piano blindfolded. Not to give myself a harder time, but to really learn to use my ears, instead of my eyes. Is that advisable? (Hence Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and probably some more)
Could playing blindfolded interfere with the learning process? I guess transcribing recordings is not really an option for example...

I'd just like to hear and/or collect the opinions about how to learn to play these genres. smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: So exactly how should you learn blues/gospel/jazz.... [Re: snakechaser] #1434379
05/11/10 12:01 PM
05/11/10 12:01 PM
Massachusetts
Guy Offline
Guy  Offline

Massachusetts
My "shortcuts", so to speak:

1. listening
2. due diligence
3. jamming

Listening: you are what you eat. I don't mean to be a naysayer, but if you don't listen to the kind of music you are trying to internalize, you're giving yourself a severe handicap.

A further note about listening...years ago, when cassettes were popular, I had two kind of tapes: what I called my "inspiration tapes", and then my "tune tapes". My inspiration tapes were filled with the kinds of things that really made me want to learn how to play. I listened to them often, and I still do. My tune tapes were made up of every recorded example of a particular tune I could find. For example, my Autumn Leaves tape had at least a dozen different versions. A third general category was a set of tapes of tunes that I wanted to transcribe.

Due diligence: sweat equity. Scales, chords, patterns, learning tunes, transcription, etc. Some find success with a teacher (skilled in the genre you're trying to learn).

Jamming: the first step is internalization, and the second step is applying what you've learned. There usually is lots of trial and error here, and this is where jamming comes into play. With friends, with like-minded others at a similar level, in public jam sessions, with play-alongs and "Band In a Box" and other aids.

Books are great. I own several myself :-), but books are really just an aid to the "due diligence" part. Books don't help with the listening/internalization step, and they don't help with the practical application/jamming step.

Re: So exactly how should you learn blues/gospel/jazz.... [Re: snakechaser] #1434493
05/11/10 02:55 PM
05/11/10 02:55 PM
Chicago
S
Steve Nixon Offline
Steve Nixon  Offline
S

Chicago
Originally Posted by snakechaser
Sorry for opening another thread, but I believe this doesn't fit anywhere in particularly well.

In a couple of topics these days I've read some really interesting stuff. In some thread I especially liked the remark about blues/jazz/gospel/etc. music being "caught" rather than "taught".
So, if that kind of music is "caught", how would one catch it?

Listening, a lot, of course is the first best thing to do. But what's next?
Should you play along with it with some of your -no matter how tiny/simple- improvisations? Should you try to mimic it? Or perhaps transcribe it?
Is it best to learn one piece thoroughly, listening it over and over again, understanding in some way what is being played. Or is it best to just listen to as much different songs as possible, to really get the hang of it?

I'd just like to hear and/or collect the opinions about how to learn to play these genres. smile

Snakecharmer,
Everything you listed here is a viable and important step in your blues development.
Transcription is one of the deepest and most thorough approaches you can take to learn more about any style. I highly advise it.
It should be noted though that often times in contemporary styles the word "transcription" just means figuring out the notes and playing along. Alot of players don't write out the notes they just catch it all by ear and memorize.
Personally, I write everything out though. I can analyze it later and learn from a different perspective (visually). It also allows you to go back several years later and study again if you've forgotten the notes.
I also use the transcriptions as learning material when I teach as well. This has been really huge for my students in terms of their development.
Good luck and have fun!!

Re: So exactly how should you learn blues/gospel/jazz.... [Re: Steve Nixon] #1434984
05/12/10 07:31 AM
05/12/10 07:31 AM
Massachusetts
Guy Offline
Guy  Offline

Massachusetts
There was a time period in the mid-90s where I had four different teachers at the same time (two were Berklee guys and two were New England Conservatory guys) and I'd have varying opinions on different topics. For example, while one was hammering on me about chord-scale modal approaches to melodic development, another was preaching a chord-tone approach note method, while another was highly skilled at moving in between these two primary methods, while the other took a more holistic or organic approach based on listening.

All of them preached listening and transcription, but one would tell me it wasn't that important to write things down, but another would say that was an important step. The holistic/organic guy, though, insisted on memorization and the ability to sing things back (signs of internalization, so to speak).

The idea of transcribing an entire solo is sometimes daunting. What I would like to say is that there can be value in transcribing small sections of solos, even individual patterns. I do have scraps of paper with fragments written down, but what is really important, in my opinion, is the ex post facto analysis that goes on. Why does this pattern work? What other places can this pattern work? Do you know the pattern well enough to be able to use anywhere it might be appropriate?

Re: So exactly how should you learn blues/gospel/jazz.... [Re: Guy] #1435109
05/12/10 11:51 AM
05/12/10 11:51 AM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
Originally Posted by Guy

The idea of transcribing an entire solo is sometimes daunting. What I would like to say is that there can be value in transcribing small sections of solos, even individual patterns. I do have scraps of paper with fragments written down, but what is really important, in my opinion, is the ex post facto analysis that goes on. Why does this pattern work? What other places can this pattern work? Do you know the pattern well enough to be able to use anywhere it might be appropriate?

I agree. Great advice.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Long Distance Piano Moving
by jojousa. 08/22/19 10:20 PM
A Scale Per Day or Per Week or Per...
by writebynight. 08/22/19 10:13 PM
1998 C1 vs. 2016 CG1
by inna_denver. 08/22/19 07:21 PM
Achieving Tuning Stability
by GC13. 08/22/19 06:13 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,680
Posts2,861,677
Members94,222
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission