Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
53 registered members (bwv872, George Smith, Jethro, ando, dhull100, earlofmar, 15 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 799 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: MacMacMac] #1431037 05/06/10 08:07 PM
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Is this headphone amp market meant for suckers? They want $349 for that unit!

Yes.

I have the PreSonus HP4 and, other than the gain being somewhat too high, it is very nice and has good build quality.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: fanatik22] #1431054 05/06/10 08:20 PM
F
fanatik22 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Just to ask before I do research on my own since I am unable to do so right now, anything I use whether it be bought pre-made or built myself, do I risk damaging either my headphones or DP? Gonna scratch out the obvious too high of a volume output for headphones but is there anything else I should be aware of? Apologies if this is very "noobish".

Last edited by fanatik22; 05/06/10 08:23 PM.
Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: fanatik22] #1431180 05/06/10 11:29 PM
E
edt Offline
E
when i build my own stuff I always tend to splat solder around so the first time I turn it on, I keep the volume down low, sometimes you'll get an uncontrollable oscillation or burn out your op amp or a capacitor, lots of stuff can go wrong, replace the bad part and try again.

The first time you test your circuit dont use your most expensive headphones. After the circuit is tested and everything is working right, there shouldn't be any danger in using your best headphones on it.

There are of course the issue of impedance matching, but mismatched impedance shouldn't burn out a headset.

Of course obviously if you put too much volume into your headset it will burn up.

You're not saving a lot of money building it yourself, just because the endless hours it takes diagnosing any circuit problems. It's so much fun building these circuits though.

Also, don't forget TI gives out free op amps, just write them and ask for a sample for your business. I've also built myself a thermin -- again, I could have bought myself a premade therimin for a few hundred, but instead "saved" myself a lot of money by building it myself. In the case of my therimin I had a blown adjustable capacitor (the standard design has 4 tunable caps) that took me a few weeks of correspondence and circuit testing with my volt o meter before I located the problem and then another couple of weeks before I realized I had an inductance load due to some metal parts that were too close to my antenna.

To me of course, all those countless hours spent diagnosing problems was part of the fun.

But it would have been cheaper to flip burgers at $8 an hour and pay for my theramin that way.

If you are a pianist, let me tell you, it sure does take away from your playing time when you are futzing around with circuits.

Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: fanatik22] #1431357 05/07/10 09:20 AM
wower Offline
Originally Posted by fanatik22
Just to ask before I do research on my own since I am unable to do so right now, anything I use whether it be bought pre-made or built myself, do I risk damaging either my headphones or DP? Gonna scratch out the obvious too high of a volume output for headphones but is there anything else I should be aware of? Apologies if this is very "noobish".

Amps can burn out phones for sure, though I've never heard about such incidents in the marketplace; only small production run amps and the DIY forums are full of such mistakes. I'd love to build my own headphone amp, and one could start to save tonnes of cash on building larger amps themselves, however, the day only being 24 hours, and me already having serveral hobbies I like, I don't see myself learning to built circuits anytime soon.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: wower] #1431672 05/07/10 04:26 PM
U
ukwomble Offline
U
Now I'm interested too.... these links look pretty solid/interesting. Doesn't look hard if you have basic soldering skills.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=cmoy2_prj.htm

Yamaha CLP-S308
Learning after >20 years break smile
Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: ukwomble] #1431696 05/07/10 04:56 PM
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've found a remarkable difference in the gain of different headphones. For example, with my P90, if I use my Sennheiser headphones, I have to volume set to "5" whereas with some Koss headphones, I set it to "2."

In other words, you might try some other headphones before buying an amp.

Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: ukwomble] #1431722 05/07/10 05:40 PM
E
edt Offline
E
so true some of these projects are simple, I've done a project in less than 30 minutes from the time I pick up my drill and mount my stuff to the time I set down my soldering iron.

All the time is spent when something goes wrong and you have to start running diagnostics or if you don't get the quality of sound you are expecting and you start swapping parts from stuff you get at mouser or digikey, you wait for a week to get the new parts then they dont fix things etc etc.

When "everything goes right" it's quick. But when you tell the wife how long it will take, multiply all the times X 10 because if something doesn't work right, you'll be spending a long time on it.

It's lot of fun, and very satisfying, as long as you remember that diagnostics of your home brew equipment is something you need to budget time for.

Last edited by edt; 05/07/10 05:45 PM.
Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: TromboneAl] #1431753 05/07/10 06:26 PM
U
ukwomble Offline
U
Right. My Sennheiser HD565s are 1-200 ohm impedance, IIRC. Some other models are even higher. Average portable music player phones are more like 32 ohm. I don't completely understand the relationship from here to sensitivity.

Thing is, I'd like to use these headphones smile because they're pretty good quality and very comfortable.

I've noticed some distortion when playing loud bass notes at moderate volume as well, and I don't think it's the 'phones, more likely the headphone amp in the Yamaha running out of juice...

Besides, building things is fun smile

Last edited by ukwomble; 05/07/10 06:27 PM.

Yamaha CLP-S308
Learning after >20 years break smile
Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: ukwomble] #1431785 05/07/10 07:06 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm having a hard time understanding why people would go to such lengths to even buy a headphone amp (never mind building one).

For a portable application (such as the example found on the previously-mentioned Head Wize site), the headphone amp makes sense.

But with a piano? Portability is not an issue. Why not just use a normal stereo amplifier ... with headphone jack? Just plug the piano's output into the amp, and you're set.

Brand new receiver: $200 or less.
Used on ebay: under $50, or even under $30 if you're not too picky.

Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: MacMacMac] #1431810 05/07/10 08:03 PM
F
fanatik22 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I'm more or less wanting to use this portable amp for other things as well such as my Ipod and or laptop. It's just a scenario where my DP is the top priority and everything else comes next. Might as well purchase something that kills more birds with one stone (of course taking my gadgets on the go). I do understand though that the alternative you mentioned makes perfect sense.

Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: fanatik22] #1431822 05/07/10 08:16 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Originally Posted by fanatik22
I'm more or less wanting to use this portable amp for other things as well such as my Ipod and or laptop.
Thanks for the explanation. That all makes sense now.

Re: Anyone using a headphone amp? [Re: MacMacMac] #1436257 05/14/10 03:53 AM
P
PianistOne111 Offline
P
I built a Starving Student (search for it on head-fi), but that isn't portable, and it has tubes, which some might not like. Also, if you like the E5, I think trying out the E7 would be a good idea. It's small enough to be portable, and it sounds decent from what I've read.

One111
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K18
by J20 - 01/24/20 06:04 PM
What pieces do you think I have the abilities for?
by iaintagreatpianist - 01/24/20 04:02 PM
Free Westwood Felt piano VST
by sleutelbos - 01/24/20 02:20 PM
serious problem with Clavinova clp635
by saeedrff - 01/24/20 02:10 PM
Brahms Op. 21 no 1 for audition
by D959 - 01/24/20 11:40 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,491
Posts2,916,774
Members95,719
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission