2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FunkyLlama
Originally Posted by mikelovespiano
Exactly, some of the guys in here are like bloody classical elitists. If they had their way classical music would be reserved for the best, the upperclasses. I'm from a simple working class background. I do not have the funds for lessons. So do you deny me then to the opportunity to learn rachmaninoff? Albeit from a midi.
*sigh* Don't bring class into this. It's not you vs. snooty elitists, it's you vs. people who understand how much you're missing by not playing froms score. And last time I checked learning to read sheet music was free.

It is elitist though. There is a difference between suggesting an alternative method to his learning than to tell him that his method is bad and that there is only one way that he can learn to appreciate music.

Currently working on
Prokofiev Piano Concerto 3
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
No i'm refering to prelude in G minor. Not G sharp minor.

OK, sorry.
But then I'm not sure why you brought that in. It's not any easier than the G# minor.

But never mind. smile

Originally Posted by Rui725
Mark:

You can't deny the fact that taking the time to learn to read music is still in his best interest musically, no?

Agree totally.

M
M
haha my bad Mark, but yeah it's prelude in G minor I'm currently learning. I love it, absolutely fantastic.

Originally Posted by xtraheat
It is elitist though....

It is, although I'm sure the people had no intention of it.

haha my bad Mark, but yeah it's prelude in G minor I'm currently learning. I love it, absolutely fantastic.

No, my bad......I just got lost on who was playing what.

M
M
Well I think the original idea of this post/thread whatever you wanna call it, was to aid someone with chords. I just simply stated I was learning the same method as that person. Then I got a barrage of people down my throat basically telling me I'd never be able to play it well, if at all. That's why I got so annoyed. Oh and just to confirm, I've about half way though this piece and I'm doing very well for someone in my position who's never been able to take a lesson in his life, I am proud of the pieces I've been able to learn on my own. Ranging from something simple like moonlight sonata 1st movement to rachmaninoff. And I will not accept people telling me what I can and cannot learn. I'm sure you can understand that Mark?

Last edited by mikelovespiano; 05/06/10 02:27 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I find that when one's interest in something grows and develops, so does their curiosity and desire to learn as much about it as possible.

For music - especially classical music - it makes sense that once an interest reaches a certain level then the desire to become familiar with the language (notation) composers use to express themselves would naturally follow.

In addition to that natural curiosity, just the basics of communicating about music, and functioning even as a beginner makes learning how to read music a necessity.

As a case in point, the OP - who is attempting to learn notation, but is still in the process - understandibly had trouble communicating the basics of the question he/she had ("it's in a major or a minor key, about 1/3 into it, there is a chord starting with _#, or _b, etc." ; instead of saying "measure 30 of the G minor prelude, the lh chord D#, A#, Bb [ or whatever it was]...").

The fact is, you can learn to play the piece any way you want. no one says you can't. However, not knowing how to read music eventually becomes a liability, and a frustration. It takes longer to learn a piece, memory is more secure when you work from the score because you can use photographic memory as one of the hooks for memorizing.

Also, listening to music with the score can be a very enjoyable experience. You don't always do so, but if you're not able to because you can't read music, then you are missing out on something that can really connect you to the music.

In the old days it was more difficult to learn to read music on your own. Today with all the free online tutorials on note reading, theory, etc., it's quite easy to learn on your own - doesn't matter if you're working class, can't affor lessons, etc.

To each his own, but it's well worth the time to learn to read music.

P.S. A couple of years ago, I heard a presentation that had an interesting TITLE:

"Piano Teaching: 200 Years of Musical Harassment"

Somehow I'm reminded of that. ha

The presentation wasn't by some idiot; it was by Walter Ponce, a concert pianist. I think he's head of the piano department at UCLA.

....I will not accept people telling me what I can and cannot learn. I'm sure you can understand that Mark?

You bet.
I might have criticisms of what you wind up with (or not!), but I'm thrilled that you're doing it.

M
M
To be honest I think this has gone on long enough. Mark, your favourite interpretation of Prelude in G minor? Horowitz? Gilels?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
aww come on. This is subjective people!

Gilels and Hofmann for me TIED.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
So essentially what you're saying is you can't play music nor have a love for it simply because one cannot read sheet music? Sorry have we regressed back into segregation or something? You cannot use these toilets, it's whites only. Grow up. If it were up to some of you guys you'd go around enforcing "You cant play music until you learn to read" Why dont you go harrass the thousands upon thousands of self taught pianists around the world who play just fine. I'm sure they'd have a thing or two to say about your opinion. How many of you are full fledged concert pianists? I should think very few. At the end of the day it's a love for music, that's why we play. Noone on this forum has the right to critize anyones methods of learning.

Actually I think you'll fidn that everyone has a right. Especially when it comes to methods that are not effective. Nobody is attacking you. They are just pointing out what people who are too lazy to read music miss out on.

M
M
I think Jorge Bolet's version is underated. He plays it at a really nice tempo, not too fast and not too slow. You get the other extreme however Valentina Lisitsa who plays it way too fast. I'm trying to incorperate the two. Gilels power and use of pedal with bolets tempo.

Last edited by mikelovespiano; 05/06/10 03:14 PM.
M
M
It's over Nyiregyhazi, move on. Stop putting fuel in the fire and tell us your favourite interpretation of prelude in g minor.

Last edited by mikelovespiano; 05/06/10 03:15 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
To be honest I think this has gone on long enough. Mark, your favourite interpretation of Prelude in G minor? Horowitz? Gilels?

And here I was thinking that this thread was about the G♯ minor.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
M
M
it was, but tbh it's just decended into chaos so either cut the sarcasm or tell us your favourite intepretation.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lang Lang 3hearts but he dont have recording on op 32 no 12 IMO he play op 23 no 2 very good.

Last edited by Batuhan; 05/06/10 03:32 PM.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it was, but tbh it's just decended into chaos so either cut the sarcasm or tell us your favourite intepretation.

Just who the heck do you think you are?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
By the way, regarding elitism- there's no more elitist method than not reading. It requires far more talent to play to high standards, if you have nothing to read from. To say that reading music is elitist is like saying that reading language is elitist. Utter nonsense. Reading is to make music accessible.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission