2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SpencerF

Copyright is actually much more strict than this and your statement is incorrect. I used to work for a major copy shop and it was my job to teach the rest of the store about it.

Wow, Spencer, you sound so certain! I am not a lawyer, but I studied this issue pretty hard when I worked as a professional librarian. And, yes, it is fair to say the laws vary by country, so, I'm sorry Nikolas and ChopinAddict for being provincial. smile Someone else might know how the "Common Law" answer applies elsewhere. In the U.S. Code, there is a clause called "fair use." It allows for this kind of personal photocopying.

wr should be fine copying the Dover for himself, but not the mass production of scores from communist countries. grin

I remember the days when the copy shops went overboard with their policies because they were getting hammered in court as the intellectual property issue started to heat up. I'm currently waiting to see what will happen with GoogleBooks, which has pretty much scanned every doo-dah book in creation and made it available for free on the Internet. That, to me, does not seem like fair use. But since Google is part owner of the universe, now, I doubt anything will happen to them. smirk

Photocopying bunches of scores from one original so that everyone in the choir (or ensemble) can have one is not fair use--hence the stickers.

Normally, a "cease and desist" letter precedes court action. So, do not live in fear about making photocopies for personal use, for crineoutloud...

Nikolas, it would be totally cool to see some of your work! What a nice offer! Are you sure you want to put it out here, though, after all this talk about intellectual property?

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Whether it's illegal or not - I make photocopies, scans of my scores all the time for my own use.
If the music publishers are upset about it - too bad for them: printed music isn't exactly cheap! They should be happy I chose to buy their particular edition, rather than someone else's. Too many companies are so rabid about their scores, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, especially with music that's hundreds of years old, usually, and is easily available online.

Of course, I won't even start ranting about the current state of movies, games, books and music, with the trend pushing towards digital distribution only. Greedy companies, trying to make even more money off of their merchandise and killing the used, rental, library market at the same time. I read the other day that some magazine subscriptions actually cost MORE for a digital copy!!!! How does that even start to make sense? The company's CEO summed it up best when he said "If people will keep paying that price, why not? It's a no-brainer."

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Piano scores :

[Linked Image]

Opera and Lieder scores :

[Linked Image]

Opera, Lieder, Broadway, etc.
[Linked Image]

CDs, French books, Music history, criticism, etc.
[Linked Image]

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Mattardo: PLEASE no talk about piracy... I think this is becoming a habbit of mine: I make a thread and eventually it falls down to piracy! laugh

But really, I do think it falls right in the pool of 'reasonable fair use' or something. And, btw, something else which incidently is connected:

I was having an online argument (YAY me) about DRM free music. And the conclusion was that if you buy the CD it's NOT legal to make an mp3 for personal use! Copyrights are copyrights. So, me, being a nerdy Greek, I went ahead and asked a few companies about this very issue. All of them told me the same thing: "Do it. It's not legal, but the uk law office is searching ways to allow this, plus we are not in the job hunting for individuals who make fair use of our music and buy our CDs".

Bruce: Adopt me? laugh laugh Beautiful collection

Andy: A lot of my music (recordings) can be found in my website. Whatever at least is not hidden by NDA or buyouts. I used to offer a few of my scores as well, and through IMSLP (which has an entry on me), but I found out two things:
a. That another well known sheet music website had taken my FREE scores and wanted a monthly subscription in order to download (the whole collection, with my scores included).
b. That Creative Commons license is non revocable. So, in other words, if you add a CC license (all of which have redistribution allowed) you can't take it back.

I do hope to get some high quality pics, or scan a few pages then... smile (so not the whole piece, or anything substantial. The value of the manuscript lies in the actual item).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BruceD that is a very very impressive collection!!!!!!!!

My collection is scattered around the house at various instrument "stations"

I have my lesser played, or modern pieces at my Story and Clark, as is my organ stuff, as thats where my old organ sat, and it hasn't moved much. smile

The most played, an class work/compositions are at the baldwin literally spewn about the lid. (I Have stacks of books on top of it! Cant even open the lid unless I clear off the piles of books.
My sheets reside in either 3 ring binders or in the bench.

My electric bass music is near my bases stand and case. Its small in numbers.

My orchestral double bass pieces/solo bass music resides on my dresser, as I always loose it if it isn't there.

Saxophone and trumpet music are both on my record player stand. My CD/record collection resides on the floor in front of my bed. I have about 400 records of 1970s and 1980s hits. No classical. Lots of Stray Cats and U2 if you know what I mean. smile

I may take a pic of the S&C and Baldwin in there "NON photo shoot states" Aka what they look like before I must clean them up.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Piano scores :

Bruce, you must have a large budget for music! I cannot fathom how much your collection must be worth.

I am wondering...

Do you have several scores of the same pieces?

If so, do you have recommendations for a certain publisher or composers that you can share?

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Looks very nice, Bruce! I wish I could say my collection was half as large, and half as well organized. laugh

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by lilylady
Originally Posted by BruceD
Piano scores :

Bruce, you must have a large budget for music! I cannot fathom how much your collection must be worth.
Keep in mind that these scores have been collected over years, ahem ... well, yes, over decades which means that the immediate music budget is not necessarily very large.

I am wondering...

Do you have several scores of the same pieces?
I have some duplication of scores, but not much. Duplication usually occurred when I was living in one part of the world and my music remained in another.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I agree, Bruce's collection is droolworthy. Although Bruce, some scores on one of your top shelves are leaning over a little. Straighten them up and support them, please! grin

This is part of mine (same pic as the practice space thread). Imagine another bookshelf the same size next to the one in the photo (and similarly full), as well as a large number of stackable plastic crates just out of the photo - I haven't counted, but it could be more than 20 - holding various things such as ancient parlour pieces, remains of far too long teaching school music, scores like musicals which I don't use much, etc ...

[Linked Image]

Du holde Kunst...
J
J
Bruce VERY IMPRESSIVE!! My piano collection is small, so I won't put up a pic, but somewhat organized in magazine boxes on a shelf next to the piano. My harp collection was enormous and cataloged. It went to a dear friend and harpist to be used rather than just sit here. (Also, harp music requires a great deal of "markings", which take hours to perfect, so he got quite a gift.) As for the copy business. I know that if I use the original editions, they will pay a price in wear. So I copy everything I am working on and practice from those copies. However, I make sure I either own the edition or it is public domain. I hope and pray the copyright police are spending most of their time after the movie pirates...........

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Currawong: Very impressive setting. And a very nice house and piano and all!

Just wanted to let you know that I've uploaded a couple of scores (manuscripts) of mine here: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1429375/a%20couple%20of%20(relatively%20old)%20m.html#Post1429375

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mattardo

Of course, I won't even start ranting about the current state of movies, games, books and music, with the trend pushing towards digital distribution only. Greedy companies, trying to make even more money off of their merchandise and killing the used, rental, library market at the same time. I read the other day that some magazine subscriptions actually cost MORE for a digital copy!!!! How does that even start to make sense? The company's CEO summed it up best when he said "If people will keep paying that price, why not? It's a no-brainer."

Here, here!!! Please rant some more, Mattardo!

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 05/04/10 10:47 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bruce, that looks pretty awesome! So... are you married? ;D

Unfortunately even if I tried to take a picture, I couldn't.. My scores are scattered everywhere in my room, in the basement, at school in my teacher's studio and in my locker =(

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas

I do hope to get some high quality pics, or scan a few pages then... smile (so not the whole piece, or anything substantial. The value of the manuscript lies in the actual item).

Nikolas:
That's exactly what I was thinking yesterday, in hoping you would post some scans. The manuscript is, in museum parlance, an "artifact." Thanks for posting them. It's so cool to see your actual handwriting, etc. Now, I'm going to have to go to your website! smile

Can you edit your post above to make the link clickable?

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...e's the link, in hopes that it will work

I do hope this works, otherwise I've no idea how to make it clickable. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[quote=BruceD I have some duplication of scores, but not much. Duplication usually occurred when I was living in one part of the world and my music remained in another.

Regards, [/quote]

Maybe I didn't ask this correctly. What I mean is different editions (publishers) of the same scores.

I'd like to learn more about that. I am just on my beginning journey of purchasing some collections.

Say for instance, I am learning Schumann's Fruhlingsnacht and am not sure what collection that might be in and what publication to invest in. I purchased an online copy but I do like real music!

I just purchased the only copy of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons Ricoldi edition but that was easy - there ws only one copy that I could find!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My music cabs have closed fronts. I have posted these before but wanted to contribute here for those that have antique homes.

One made by my Mom when I was in HS (would love to ebonize this one) and two old Victorian ones. The shorter one (no glass is common but the glass front ones are rare. It is now totally full and has been moved. The shorter one is now there and also full. The one Mom made cannot fit another piece into it!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some leather bound books (International Library of Music) and more are in the old built in library cab behind the piano.

Enjoying this thread.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Those cabinets are beautiful! I am going to build my own, as our china hutches bottom drawers are getting too full.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD} I have some duplication of scores, but not much. Duplication usually occurred when I was living in one part of the world and my music remained in another.

Regards,

Maybe I didn't ask this correctly. What I mean is different editions (publishers) of the same scores.
[...

Under the circumstances previously mentioned, I usually did end up with different editions of the same music. The first serious collecting for the sake of collecting began with the Novello (ed. Frank Merrick) editions of Chopin's works, long before I could attempt to play them. I had a mania about getting complete "sets" - for lack of a better term - so when the Novello edition seemed to be considered quite a good one, I collected most of Chopin's works in that edition.

Subsequently, I have acquired four different editions of the Nocturnes, two of the Mazurkas, two of the Polonaises, three editions of the Etudes, three of the Preludes, etc., etc. Sometimes they are helpful not so much for my own playing but for offering opinions on questions posted by PW members in this Forum.

Later, as I got older - but not necessarily wiser - I started investing in Henle for Chopin. Henle remains my edition of choice not so much for the scholarship - because I'll never be at the point where really critical scholarship will make much difference to my playing - but also for the beautifully clear print and the long-lasting bindings that always stay open on the piano.

Early on, I collected a number of Schirmer and Augener editions of Liszt, many of which I am still using, but I would probably turn to a different edition for Liszt now. The Editio Musica Budapest is probably the most authoritative for Liszt these days.

The only complete Beethoven Sonatas I have is the Schnabel edition; when I study a Beethoven Sonata I buy an individual copy, usually in Henle. I have Henle also for the Mozart Sonatas, Scarlatti Sonatas, a newly issued Schirmer edition for the Haydn Sonatas, two of three volumes of Schubert Sonatas in Kalmus and another single volume of the Henle.

Bach is in Peters, Alfred Masterworks, Henle, ABRSM.

In many cases, I bought what was available locally at the time, not being particular about editions in my youth. That attitude has changed in recent years. Generally speaking, I gravitate towards Henle first and then look for other editions when what I want is not available in Henle.

Additionally, I don't have any exact duplicates except the occasional singe work; I don't have two copies of the same edition of one volume of work.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
OK, these are my scores.... Not too impressive, but it all happened in the last 3 1/2 years... smile
The box under the guitars... that's where I put the crumbling scores, so the crumbs stay inside the box at least... ha

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are more scores on my piano.... Probably another 20 collections or so...

PS: I know I have to order them better... I will soon... They ARE in alphabetical order though... laugh yippie

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission