2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1425583 04/27/10 10:11 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello all,

I'll be moving down to Texas (either Houston or Austin area) next fall, and am excited to be buying my first piano.

First, can anyone suggest reputable dealers in the Houston/Austin areas?

Second: I've decided to go with either a nice upright, or an older, smaller grand. My budget is around $5,000-6,000. In that range, I've seen Steinway 1098s, Yamaha U1s, U3s, numerous other uprights, and older grands around the 5'8" size from Weber, Knabe and others. I'm a professional pianist (finishing my doctorate now), so quality does matter.

My question is, should I stick to an excellent, used upright (either by Steinway, Yamaha, Mason and Hamlin, etc.), or should I be looking for a more beat-up, but serviceable grand? I've played on plenty of instruments in less-than-perfect condition but with a beautiful tone (in particular, a very bruised old Mason and Hamlin baby grand at school), so is it worth it if I buy a piano that hasn't been reconditioned but sounds all right? Does anyone have suggestions for old grand models that tend to carry their age well?

This is my first post on this forum (which I've read for a while now), it's been wonderful reading the old posts and soaking up all this collective knowledge!

Thanks,
Rick M.

S
S
You are voicing my questions *exactly*.

I don't have much advice, and will be watching this thread
to find out what most would recommend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Someone mentioned to stay away from steinway 1098s, as they are not the best. Look for a K series, a step up definitely from a 1098.

As for the other ones, I would choose a U3 over most uprights, except a steinway K, or pre 1900 steinway (personal preference)

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've had nice experiences in Austin at the Steinway Gallery and Strait Music, though I didn't end up buying there. Don't know if they're still there, but Matt Bird (Steinway) and Doug Row (Strait) always treated me well. While I was there a Kawai dealer opened up north of Austin (after Brook Mays folded), but I don't know if they're still around nor did I have a chance to drop by and see them. I don't think he has a showroom, but would recommend stopping by Bernard Mollberg's rebuild shop in Blanco just for fun-- they do good work, and many pianists/institutions in the area use him for comprehensive rebuilds of nice grand pianos.

I don't know much about the piano store scene in Houston, sorry. Ended up buying mine in Dallas.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
M
Don't count out the Walter. For around the $6,000 range, you could end up with a NEW Charles Walter 1500. While in a studio cabinet, and not as glamorous at the 1520 series, it's the same piano inside. (I actually was getting a quote for my school, but needed a 1500 with the lock pre-installed. The Walter factory in Indiana had two 1500's available, one oak satin and one walnut satin, that I was quoted $5,950 for either. 12-year full warranty, weighted keys, quality workmanship.)

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
N
N
When I had $6000, I went with a high-quality upright. With some patience for the used piano market, you should be able to land a fantastic upright for that price. For me it was 20yrs ago, and I got a new Baldwin 6000. So today's dollars don't quite equate. Even _more_ reason to get a great upright.

-Nocty
Not in the piano business.
1906 Baldwin C rebuilt 2008
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the suggestions and comments! Re. Charles Walter, I actually played on a pretty beat-up old Charles Walter a few weeks ago during some opera outreach work in local schools, and it wasn't bad! I'll definitely look at that brand when I start my official shopping.

Does anyone have opinions on older (smaller) grands?

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission