2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,278 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
Frozenicicles, Kbk and others seem to be thinking of slash chords as inversions, but I don’t think this is the right way to think of them.

For instance C/E means to play a C chord in the right hand. It could be in root position or in any inversion and the base note would be E

Often the base note is not from the chord, for instance C/F. That means a C chord in any position with an F in the base.

Sometimes you will see a series of chords something like this C, C/B, C/A, C/G, F. That is a C chord in the right hand, maybe spread over several bars, while the base notes step down. (using passing notes)

Sometimes a slash chord is used as an alternative notation to an extended chord. For example Fma9 has the notes FACEG. It is difficult to play all the notes in extended chords so it is normal to leave off some of the bottom notes. So you could play CEG in the RH and F in the base. So Fma9 could be written C/F.

Ron

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
^Agreed - I got too caught up in the chord analysis (which is pretty much impossible to do without seeing it in context of the rest of the progression). Slash chords can be guides on how to shape the bass line.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
While a chord can often be restated without the slash, like FMaj7(9) instead of C/F, the typical use of slash chords is to indicate a specific voicing or inversion (strongly indicated).

This is a more general statement than simply indicate moving bass lines (which is a common use when you see multiple slash chords).

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

L
limeade Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone, thanks for the responses, I have learned a lot just reading everything you all wrote:)

So... now my question becomes, if the meaning of C/F is to play a C chord and an F note in the bass, how does one do this if your right hand is doing the melody notes of the song, thereby making your left hand the one that has to play the C chord? How can you simultaneously play the F note in the bass? I tried but my hand does not stretch enough.

Wow, thank you all very much for reading my question:)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Use two hands and play the melody as the top note. Split the chord so you share between the two hands. Like I said, when an arranger/composer indicates a slash chord, he/she is indicating that this voicing is an important component of the sound. So if I can, I will play it as indicated, at least at some point.

When it is not possible to always play the slash chord (as in improvisation), then, pick the important components of it. The F is definitely the most major component here.

You may also need to do an inversion of the C triad depending on what the melody note is. Takes a lot of thinking initially but becomes automatic after time. Just a natural part of reading leadsheets.

My Jazz Blog

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
BTW - another interpretation of the slash chord is that the F is a pedal tone.

Meaning hit F, step on the pedal, and then hit the C triad. That way you are able to do it sometimes with just the LH alone.

All of this depends on the tune.

My Jazz Blog

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission