2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
It's 3 AM, and I just got home from seeing a magnificent performance by Valentina Lisitsa at the Ukrainian Institute in New York City. I'll have more on her performance, with a few pictures, but right now, I'm going to sleep

Conservatory of Music @ Brooklyn College
Piano Performance, Class of 2014
K
K
Just got home at 3AM? That must've been a heck of an encore. ;-)

Started playing in July 2008. Working on:

D. Scarlatti, Sonata K. 32, L. 423
Neefe, Canzonet
Prokofiev, Visions Fugitives no. 1
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChibiSF
It's 3 AM, and I just got home from seeing a magnificent performance by Valentina Lisitsa at the Ukrainian Institute in New York City. I'll have more on her performance, with a few pictures, but right now, I'm going to sleep

Pictures? How did you do that?

Nevertheless, we await. ha

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by ChibiSF

Pictures? How did you do that?

Nevertheless, we await. ha

I see it happen all the time. People just hold up their cell and snap. I've even seen someone with a tape(?) recorder (that looked VERY expensive) sitting in front of me at a recent James Tocco recital.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I'm not really sure how I'm going to watch her Youtube videos after being spoiled by her performance last night. I guess they'll have to do until the next time she comes to New York. As stated previously, she played at the Ukrainian Institute of America in New York City. It was an intimate affair, with less than 100 seats. I happened to acquire great seats, in the 3rd row.

Picture of the Program:
[Linked Image]

She encored with Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, and a piece I did not immediately recognize, but was interrupted by sirens from police cars driving down 5th avenue. And some more (iPhone, I forgot my proper camera at home) photos:

Before the performance. Steinway & Sons piano:
[Linked Image]

After the Beethoven Sonatas:
[Linked Image]

After the performance, there was a small reception, where I got to meet Valentina, and my friend and I took a couple of snapshots:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm so jealous! Valentina was here last year in a small venue like the one you attended and I missed her thanks to teaching commitments. I was told that she is extremely approachable, very friendly, will play even after the recital is over and even gave some helpful tips to my fellow students on how to tackle difficult sections in various pieces.

These types of recitals are the best!

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a monster program. It seems like the Chopin Etudes could be enough to digest in one performance. The Beethoven D major is a nice touch though, I've never heard a live performance (though I've had more than my fair share of Appassionatas.)

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Minaku
I'm so jealous! Valentina was here last year in a small venue like the one you attended and I missed her thanks to teaching commitments. I was told that she is extremely approachable, very friendly, will play even after the recital is over and even gave some helpful tips to my fellow students on how to tackle difficult sections in various pieces.

These types of recitals are the best!

She could not have been friendlier. She was very approachable, and quite gracious to the compliments that I gave her after the recital was over.

Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente
What a monster program. It seems like the Chopin Etudes could be enough to digest in one performance. The Beethoven D major is a nice touch though, I've never heard a live performance (though I've had more than my fair share of Appassionatas.)

-Daniel

It was indeed a monster program. The reactions from other audience members as she approached the end of Opus 25 was great to hear as well. I recall hearing one audience member say, "Here we go," quietly prior to the Winter Etude. And after it was finished, another going, "Oh my god." lol

Although I like Lisitsa's playing a lot(from Youtube), I think her program was perhaps too long. In fact, I can't remember hearing a program with around two hours of music for a long time.

I think either omitting one of the Sonatas or playing only one set of Etudes would have been better.

I'm sure it was thrilling none the less.

Last night I heard a concert that had just over 2 hours of music.
(2 hours 25 minutes counting intermission.)

Everything was wonderful.
But it was too long. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Good thing you guys didn't live in Beethoven's time. The night of Dec. 22, 1808 witnessed the premieres of his 5th and 6th symphonies and without going into further detail the programme included between FIVE and SIX hours of music. I SO wish concerts didn't have to be planned with the audience's attention span in mind. I suppose, however, society has become to lazy to focus for too very long. Tis a shame anyone ever says a concert was too long.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente

-Daniel

I once heard John Owings play the D major live. It was magnificent! I would like to see Lisitsa live someday.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Although I like Lisitsa's playing a lot(from Youtube), I think her program was perhaps too long. In fact, I can't remember hearing a program with around two hours of music for a long time.

I think either omitting one of the Sonatas or playing only one set of Etudes would have been better.

I'm sure it was thrilling none the less.

What about that concert you went to where Hamelin played one of the Beethoven 100's as an encore? wink

Originally Posted by stores
Good thing you guys didn't live in Beethoven's time. The night of Dec. 22, 1808 witnessed the premieres of his 5th and 6th symphonies and without going into further detail the programme included between FIVE and SIX hours of music. I SO wish concerts didn't have to be planned with the audience's attention span in mind. I suppose, however, society has become to lazy to focus for too very long. Tis a shame anyone ever says a concert was too long.

Was that the one that also premiered the Choral Fantasy? That's a concert I DEFINITELY could have stayed at the entire time. laugh

I SO wish concerts didn't have to be planned with the audience's attention span in mind. I suppose, however, society has become to lazy to focus for too very long. Tis a shame anyone ever says a concert was too long.
I don't think it's a question of being lazy. I suspect it was much more common for people to come and/or leave early for the marathon concerts of the 19th century.

I think it would be extremely foolish and inconsiderate not to consider the audience's attention span.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/25/10 08:15 PM.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I got to meet her and work with her to get a place to practice while she was in town for a couple of concerts! We have a very small piano town and she visited for 4 days "camping here" and traveling during the day to play places around Virginia before heading back to North Caroolina. She invited me to play a piece for her, and I opened the same Op. 10 No. 3 that she was practicing for a recital later that week. We also worked my ending to the Mendelssohn concerto.

She is the most friendly and people geared person I've ever met. It's so cool to meet a professional that doesn't act like a compete diva.

Matt

ChibiSF Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Debussy20
I got to meet her and work with her to get a place to practice while she was in town for a couple of concerts! We have a very small piano town and she visited for 4 days "camping here" and traveling during the day to play places around Virginia before heading back to North Caroolina. She invited me to play a piece for her, and I opened the same Op. 10 No. 3 that she was practicing for a recital later that week. We also worked my ending to the Mendelssohn concerto.

She is the most friendly and people geared person I've ever met. It's so cool to meet a professional that doesn't act like a compete diva.

Matt

That's awesome!

Oh, and if she played until 3 AM, I would have stayed the entire time. haha

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Was that the one that also premiered the Choral Fantasy? That's a concert I DEFINITELY could have stayed at the entire time. laugh

Twas. I would have sat right there with you. smile

♪ ≠ $

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would stay for ANYTHING Beethoven (except the Choral Fantasy).
I shall go into hiding pronto.. and NO I am not lazy (usually)..I just think that Beethoven had a day off with that one. Even the voice of god is entitled to a day of rest, afterall..

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I shall go into hiding pronto.. and NO I am not lazy (usually)..I just think that Beethoven had a day off with that one. Even the voice of god is entitled to a day of rest, afterall..

No need to go into hiding. It's not everyone's favorite. That concert, specifically, may have been a rather long one, but many of his productions were quite lengthy affairs. I would give practically anything to travel back in time and take one of them in.

♪ ≠ $

Originally Posted by Andromaque

You puttin' us on????????? smile
I guess not.

It's one of my favoritest pieces in the world.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Did they get bathroom and food breaks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission