2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Oy, we're being studied ....

Be careful with what you say. smile

Cyberculture Report

Is that website something someone got a passing mark on at university level...?

It's funny to see the outsider's perspective on PW, but really, what's the purpose? There's no conclusion or science in general going on as far as I can tell.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It reads like an amateur book report or something.
A bit of an embarrassment for those of us that actually studied "hard" sciences at University.

B
B
Originally Posted by Bunneh
Is that website something someone got a passing mark on at university level...?

It's funny to see the outsider's perspective on PW, but really, what's the purpose? There's no conclusion or science in general going on as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure I see the point either.

I was expecting to read some insightful report on the interpersonal dynamics of on-line common-interest forums using Piano World as an example. Instead, it's just a list of observations of which anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes on Piano World is readily aware.

It's pretty harmless, however, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Estonia L210
OP Online Content
The point to me is not that this 'study' has a point, it's that PW is not an insular and closed community. Anything said here may wind up before a broader audience than you may imagine at the point that you are tapping out your post.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
The point to me is not that this 'study' has a point, it's that PW is not an insular and closed community. Anything said here may wind up before a broader audience than you may imagine at the point that you are tapping out your post.

Welcome to the Internet.

OP Online Content
I know that, but I think many posters often lose sight of it.

B
B
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

That may be your point (and a good point it is), but I'm not sure it was the author's point.

Estonia L210

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff
It reads like an amateur book report or something.
A bit of an embarrassment for those of us that actually studied "hard" sciences at University.

It's an even greater embarrassment for the social scientists here who know that it is possible to approach the social sciences rigorously yet find our field stigmatized by the people who do it sloppily and superficially.

It's a shame, because I think there really could be some interesting data in the PW archives for projects on topics such as coalition formation, ingroup favoritism, group conflict, groupthink, stereotypes and prejudice, attitudes and persuasion, etc. etc. But this report ain't it.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm wondering what time of day the screen picture was taken. As I write this 365 people are viewing the Piano forum. I don't believe I've ever seen a number as low as the 97 on the screen picture.

Other than that I agree with Monica's assessment. The report is misses a great opportunity. Still with grade inflation it could get an A!

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 04/23/10 02:02 PM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality

Not in my classes, it wouldn't. smokin

OP Online Content
A lot of stuff written by students is, well, rather marginal at best. Hopefully this was not constructed by a sociology professor. smile

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
A little web searching and I believe it was written for this class:

RHE 330 C

Advanced Studies in Digital Rhetorics
Rhetorics of Cyberculture
Dr. Diane Davis

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~davis/crs/rhe330/

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
OP Online Content
Indeed. And a little more sleuthing will identify the student who is studying us. She joined our ranks. We have a mole! smile

Before I read the other posts on this thread, I guessed that this site was part of a course in rhetoric and an assignment about what are called discourse communities. That is precisely what it seems to be. That also helps explain why it might not appear to say very much--it is hard to know how successful the student's website is without knowing what she was asked to do. It may have satisfied the assignment very well. It's hard to know without seeing the assignment. So while it may satisfy the audience for the class (as specified in the assignment), it does not do much for an audience of outsiders--especially for those who are part of the discourse community, and especially for those of this particular one where the members are very self aware. My suspicion is that she has talked with some members about their experiences on this site. If she did not, and I were the professor here, I would want to know why she did not. Whether the grade is inflated is impossible to know for us, not being part of the class. In my experience, this looks like very middle of the road kind of work--neither terrible nor excellent. But, in saying that I have to guess at what the assignment might have required her to do. Not that it matters, but I am an English professor. The kind of work that the website represents is very mainstream--part of an area of English known as rhetoric and composition.

Last edited by Andrew Slade; 04/25/10 06:17 PM.
Online Content
This report could have been a relatively minor assignment that was done in five hours or less. Why some posters are so critical or expecting some in depth commentary is beyond me.

B
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
This report could have been a relatively minor assignment that was done in five hours or less. Why some posters are so critical or expecting some in depth commentary is beyond me.

Yeah, you're probably right. And the person who wrote it is probably reading our posts and laughing out loud.

The joke's on us???

Estonia L210
OP Online Content
I don't think any of us are being particularly serious here. It's rather amusing to see PW as the subject of a 'study.'

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The title of this thread is Cyberculture report on us. In reality, a cyberculture report, it is not. So the OP made an assumption regarding the assignment and the rest of us went with that. Something I've noticed is that this forum usually gets to a right answer. In this case that means understanding that a cyberculture report may not be what was asked of the class.

What gets me wondering is whether the reason the OP went to cyberculture report is because as a very specialized forum we'd like to be better understood by the mainstream. This is of course total speculation, but I know I felt what may have been a touch of disappointment that the report wasn't more interested in the group dynamics of this community. Frankly that's what I find interesting about this place (and I'm not a professional in the business). Yet the report didn't even mention the obvious dynamics at the interface of so many professionals, piano sellers, technicians, teachers, performers, students and players (amateur and professional).

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
OP Online Content
Steve, I am the OP. The OP made no assumption. The class website calls it a Cyber-Subculture Report.

and here is the assignment:

Cyber-subculture report

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission