2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (chopin_r_us, Ben_NZ, Anna Helena, Alfred La Fleur, busa, brennbaer, Bett, Adypiano, Anglagard44, 8 invisible), 918 guests, and 394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Just narrowed the choice to these 2 .... can yoy help me make a decision? and what would be a fair price to pay ?

B
B
It is difficult to choose between those two when there is a complete dearth of information about the Kawai models. Check out the specs comparison on the piano buyer website (see right of screen).

The new cp models are not available yet in my area (should be here in a couple of months), but I have been wanting to check them out. On specs alone, you might want to be comparing the cp 179 with the cvp 509 as the cp 179 is the top of the line upright model of arranger digital pianos. On price, however, you may get more features on the cp-179 over the CVP 505 (like string resonance and wooden keys). The CVP 505 also does not have all the new sounds that the CVP 509 has.

You might also want to add the Roland RM 700 into the mix.

I suspect the Yamaha leads the way in sophistication of the "styles", but you should have a demonstration of all the models and test for yourself what you think.

It is unfortunate that Kawai has not really advertised or promoted the new cp series. It is not even listed in their website, except for a teaser video under the NAMM section.

The Yamaha and Roland, on the other hand have many videos on their sites showing their models.

As another consideration, if you look on You-tube you can find lots of Yamaha CVP users showing their creations to inspire you and give you an idea of what the machines can do (mostly 300 and 400 series so far). There is also a CVP users group on the web that discusses the CVP and provides support. These aspects are making me lean towards the CVP (I am, like you, looking for an arranger piano, but I do want to wait and see what the Kawai has to offer).

The internet is very powerful place and Kawai should get with the program if they want to sell some of their new models.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It depends on what you want to do.

I believe the Yamaha XG sound engine is superior when it comes to sounds and DSP effects. Also their styles are very good.
What is missing in their Arranger Pianos is an inbuild credit card reader, if they had this feature, no computer at all would be needed ;-)

Some time ago I had to decide between CVP 403 and CP136. Finally I decided for the CP136 and I had these reasons:

I believed, Kawai's wooden Keyboard is superior. I did not like the PVC or ABS touch surface of Yamahas keyboard. (I believe, Kawai uses Acryl, and that is much less slippery if you have dry fingers, I like it very much) This has now changed a little bit, because all current models now have Ivory Touch surfaces.

The CP136 has string resonance. I did not know at this time, that string resonance is unavailable via MIDI. Because I do all recording in MIDI, and because the CP136 is a real MIDI-machine, this is a huge disadvantage.

The CP136 has a complete MIDI sequencer build in. Yamahas inbuild sequencer has not the ability to insert or delete measures in the middle or at the beginning of a song. This was very important for me, because I intend to create backing tracks in a step recording procedure with the piano. If the piano is intended for live playing only, this would would not be a criteria.

The real wood cabinet of the Kawai is nice. It looks very precious, but it has a disadvantage: It is bright wood covered with rosewood colored transparent finish. As soon as it has a little damage that is very hard to repair invisibly. (When a piano is 10 years old it should become obvious)
So, I fear, the wooden cabinet is not as precious as it looks at first sight. But I think it contributes to the sound, I like the sound very much.

Finally, I did not only want an Arranger piano, I also wanted a real classical piano with classical piano sound and I preferred Kawai's sound.
(The other sounds and effects, that are better on the Yamaha where not very important for me, because I need them for backing accopaniement only and not for solo playing)

Also I liked it very much that the ADSR Envelope, especially Sustain and Release and Brightness is adjutable for the piano sound. So far I know, Yamaha doesnt support this for the piano sound. This was also a main criteria for me.

Today, with the CVP503 in comparison I am not absolutely shure how I would decide. I would need to compare them side by side again and for hours.
If I had to compare the CVP 503 or 505 and the CP179 (with RM3 keyboard), it is possible that I would prefer the CP179.
If I had to decide between 503 and CP136 I possibly would choose the 503.
But that is a personal decision that depends on personal wishes and needs.

Whatever you choose, every choice has advantages and disadvantages, it is necessary to take a compromise. For example a complete full featured sequencer is not available from Yamaha, even their top models miss it.
String resonance that is MIDI capable or a 3 sensor keyboard is not available from Kawai, whatever you pay.

Peter

Last edited by hpeterh; 04/20/10 07:25 AM.

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best piano under 3600$ / 3000€
by PaJaC - 09/21/21 02:11 AM
FP-90 volume problems
by choppin - 09/20/21 10:15 PM
Pictures at an Exhibition: Yuking Chou Brandenburgh
by FrankCox - 09/20/21 08:16 PM
Roland FP30 Headphone/Line out hiss?
by Raf702 - 09/20/21 06:56 PM
Keybeds Korg SV2 vs D1
by David Izquierdo - 09/20/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,216
Posts3,133,877
Members102,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission