2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Rebekah.L
Hi Morodiene, I'm not a teacher so I wont make any contributions, all I want to say is all the best. I dont claim to have the wisdom of the world as a young person, but I've been there before, poor health, too many commitments, it didn't end up very nicely, good on you for adressing it now, not letting it get bad to the point that it is unbearable. All the best.

Thanks, Rebekah. I did, actually let it go too far and for too long. I should have done this years ago. Now that I understand how stress affects women physically, and how I personally need to keep it to a minimum, I am better able to make the necessary changes. The hardest part of feeling like I've let down my husband and my students. No one has said anything to that effect of course, so it's a self-imposed feeling of disappointing those I care about, and I just have to get over that (otherwise, I'll be stressed out about stressing out! What a dilemma! :D). Thanks for the encouragement and kind words.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Roxy
I hope you feel better be careful you don't perhaps fall into the same trap with your health, once you start feeling better. Perhaps if you need a certain base of money start there, and find out which time you absolutely do not want infringed on and don't schedule students then. The other is up your rates so that you can afford to teach less students and still have the same income that you need and then you will free up your time without the financial burden. And you will have more time for you and your husband and your health.

Perhaps this is the best place to start, finding out what I need to make and work backwards from there. It also takes out the emotion in the decision.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by stores
It must be a nice luxury to be able to afford to take an entire month off.

It has been a financial struggle, actually, but we've saved up money for just these times of necessity. There's nothing luxurious about it - it's about planning for those tough times when times are good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Sparkler
I am in a similar boat as you, so I can only offer the things I've thought through.

I know that this year I've taken on way too much. I have several little ones of my own with another one on the way, and I have something like 27 students.

The only reason I did this in the first place honestly, was because of financial circumstances. Before this, I taught about 3 students who were all children of friends. Now I have all these new students and I can't exactly quit on them, can I?

The thing is, I LOVE teaching. I just have to learn to put my family's needs first.

For me, I have over scheduled 3 days a week in order to leave 2 week days and weekends free. I kinda like this this as it gives me room to breathe on 2 weekdays and know that I can love on my own kids all day long during those times. I always look forward to those days. But, I am finding that I am starting to dread those over scheduled work days. (Tomorrow, for example, I teach 14 students. Ack. Mondays are my huge days.

So ideally for me, I would drop to about 15 quality students and teach them all on 3 light days a week, back to back so that I have huge chunks of time free for my own family each day.

Also ideally I'd like to be done by 5pm every day but I don't see how that could work in the real world. I do have quite a few homeschooled students though, so this is almost doable for me and I'll keep working on that.

I'm hoping financial circumstances turn around to the point where I am able to cut back, because I'm close to my breaking point. I want to keep on loving what I'm doing, and keep being inspired and being inspirational instead of beginning to resent that I having to make the choice of spending so much time with other people's children instead of my own!

Hope you feel better soon, Morodienne.

Wow, sounds like you're almost where I was as far as taking on too much. Perhaps some of the advice on this thread will help you, too. Increasing your rates is a very good way of cutting back on students without sacrificing the income. You can always have a list of teachers in the area who have openings that you can refer students to.

My one big caution to you is just from what I've experienced. I'm guessing you're a bit younger than I because you have young children of your own, and you might survive it now, but it will catch up with you. Stress causes the adrenal glands to release more cortisol, a hormone. While this is fine for "fight or flight" situations, over an extended period of stressful time the adrenals can become exhausted, causing all sorts of issues. Another problem is that if you have lots of cortisol in your blood due to stress, then when your body release progesterone (a hormone that counter-balances estrogen in women) the cortisol can actually *block* the progesterone from being absorbed into the organs. This is what happened to me, and it causes symptoms such as those listed here: http://www.johnleemd.com/store/estrogen_dom.html

So please, do some research on this to inform yourself and to realized that you *can't* do it all, and trying to will only mean you'll have to eventually do much less.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
When your stress level gets too high, you should cut back your teaching load.

I found this little test which you can employ to determine if your overly stressed or not.

I am not sure exactly how it works, but this is amazingly accurate. Carefully read the instructions before going to the test. It was used in a case study on stress levels at St. Mary's Hospital, London, where it was validated.

The test consists of a photo of dolphins, known to be relaxing to viewers. In the photo, the dolphins are identical.

Look at both dolphins jumping out of the water. The dolphins are identical. A closely monitored scientific study revealed that, in spite of the fact that the dolphins are identical, a person under stress would find differences in the two dolphins. The more differences a person finds between the dolphins, the more stress that person is experiencing.

Look at the photograph and if you find more than one or two differences you need to reduce your studio teaching load....

Stress Test

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
ROFL, John! laugh

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I think you're trying to do too much. When I was taking lessons
way back when, all the teachers did was go through the
motions and collect the fee. They didn't care what kind of
piano I played at home, didn't care if I practiced or not,
didn't care if my parents were involved in the learning
process.

You mentioned that you're taking lessons yourself to raise
your level, but this is not realistic. Pieces like Chopin Ballades
are out of your reach, and trying to learn them so that you
can prepare students for conservatory auditions is not going
to happen. You're a very good teacher up to the advanced
intermediate level, but after that you're going to have to
hand your students over to another teacher if they want
to prepare for college auditions.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gyro
Pieces like Chopin Ballades
to happen.

Gee, that's a nice thing to say. [Linked Image]

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
to happen.

Gee, that's a nice thing to say. [Linked Image]

My thoughts exactly. Talk about hitting below the belt.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
are out of your reach

This seems out of character for you, Gyro, considering you advocate learning a concerto note by note regardless of one's ability or experience.

I say do what you love and love what you do.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
When I was taking lessons way back when, all the teachers did was go through the motions and collect the fee.
That explains a lot.
Pieces like Chopin Ballades are out of your reach...
How do you know?

Du holde Kunst...
T
T
HAHAHAHA that was great John laugh

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by heidiv
are out of your reach

This seems out of character for you, Gyro, considering you advocate learning a concerto note by note regardless of one's ability or experience.

I say do what you love and love what you do.

LOL...I was just thinking the same thing. Gyro, you're a funny guy - Thanks for the encouraging words!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
John, I think I need to quit teaching all together! ROFL laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
All I can say is . . . "if I didn't take the summer off!
I'D GO MAD!!!!

Just my take! grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission