2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Anyone know what level the Alfred Adult books 1, 2 and 3 map to approximately in the ABRSM grade or MTAC merit levels?

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
N
N
Originally Posted by bolt
Anyone know what level the Alfred Adult books 1, 2 and 3 map to approximately in the ABRSM grade or MTAC merit levels?

bolt, I guess since no one responds to this question, I’ll give my two cents.

In the back of the Alfred’s Basic Adult Piano Course, there’s a diagram. Use the forward arrow, click all the way to see the back cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic...=1271650107&sr=8-1#reader_0882846167

The Diagram looks something like this:

Young Beginner Prep Course Level A B C D E F, then an arrow connects it to Basic Level 3.

Beginner Alfred’s Basic Level 1A 1B 2 3 4 5 6 (I guess this is the main, graded course).

Beginner All-In-One Course Book 1 2 3 4 5 then the arrow connects it to Basic Level 3.

Beginner All-In-One Sacred Course Book 1 2 3 4 5 then the arrow connects it to Basic Level 3.

Beginner Group Piano Course Book 1 2 3 4 then leads you to Basic Level 2.

Later Beginner Alfred’s Basic Complete Level 1, Complete Level 2/3 then leads to Basic Level 4.

Later Beginner Chord Approach Level 1 & 2, then leads to Basic Level 3.

Then a line

Under this line there are:
Later Beginner Adult Piano Course Level 1, Level 2, Level 3

Later Beginner All-In-One Adult Piano Course Level 1, Level 2, Level 3

There aren’t any arrows connecting these to the Alfred Basic levels.

My guess is, the Alfred Adult Piano courses are separated by this line and aren't connected to any of the Basic levels. They aren’t designed to prepare students for any of the graded exams but rather for casual self enjoyment. My suspicion started months ago when I looked at this diagram and tried to connect it to the Basic Levels… but couldn’t.

I'm not an expert. I also think you'd get more help posting this question over in the Teacher Forum. Still, I believe, the Adult series weren't intended for certification purposes, serious exam takers pianists. I've been wrong, I maybe wrong again here but that's how I really see it.

Last edited by Nguyen; 04/19/10 12:35 AM.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Nguyen,

Thanks for your reply.

I just started to work on some Grade 1 and 2 classical pieces outside of Alfred's, taking a little break from Alfred's for a while to round things out.

Cheers
-Bolt

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
Ive been interested in this issue for a while and its good see someone post a new topic on it.

As you say Nguyen, the All in One course is about casual self enjoyment which is exactly why im learning the piano now at 30. Just for fun.

Having said that once if I complete the whole series and continue to play Id be curious to know what level I was at. Just curiosity and nothing more really. I doubt id ever go as far as actually taking the exams.

Thanks for the topic though wink

--------------------------------

Working on...

Hanon Excercises
Lavender's Blue
Kum-bah-yah

Yamaha P90
B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Let me just clarify why I asked the question in the first place: my teacher gave me Clementi op 36 No 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ksi2qmW0A

and although I like the piece a lot it seemed a little ahead of where I'm at (about 1/3 through Alfred Adult book 2)

So then I started looking at all these slightly easier-seeming grade 1 and 2 classical pieces and was curious how far along Alfred maps into ABRSM 1 and 2.

In the end, after having a go at a whole load of different classical pieces over the weekend, I think right now at this stage of Alfred ADult book 2 I'm roughly at ABRSM grade 1 level and by end of Alfred Adult book 2 that'll be roughly around ABRSM grade 2.

Don't know how that maps to MTAC because unlike ABRSM the MTAC keeps their syllabuses private (unless you fork out $28) so you can't just surf the web and look at it.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission