2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
Hello,
I'm going to buy a new piano. I have made a lot of search and finally I decided for Casio Celviano AP-620. I appreciate its look, sound, accompaniments, and other gadgets but sorry to say I have not seen it live - only on the internet.
In the local music store I was told to buy something else such as Yamaha, Roland mainly due to reliability. It does not sell Casio at all.
I will buy it online.
Do you have any experience with this DP?
Do you think it is a good choice for an adult? I will use it only for home performances, daily excercises, not for studying classical music.
It will be placed in a quite large living room so 2 x 30 Watts speakers are good.
Do you think that this instrument will last 5 years at least? I mean keyboard especially.
Do you think that keyboard issues are matter of the past as far as Casio is concerned?

Thanks all

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
of the pianos you could try, which of then had key actions you like and not liked. Then you might ask if the ap-620 is like any of those.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Regarding reliability, here in Australia Casio provide a 5 year warranty. (I have not read the conditions of the warranty yet, but assuming there's nothing adverse, this seems like a very good warranty)

Greg.

C
C
Hi there,

I am in the middle of a similar decision. My focus is around Roland HP 305, Kawai CA 63 or Casio AP 620. And as you, I will be able to test play the Roland and Kawai, but not the Casio. From the specs and also from the price, I might prefer the Casio too, also, there are fairly good reviews in two German magazines.
In seveal online shops, you can order with a 30-days-money-back garantuee, I still hesitate, in a couple of weeks I will test play again and then decide, what I do.

There are two links, that might help you:

A brief review including sound demos ( the complete review you can only find in the paper issue ), translated from German by google:

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tastenwelt.de%2Ftest_casio_ap-620.0.html

The second is a fairly good supplier video on youtube. For this, it might be helpful to understand German ;-), but still you would get the essence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYW3uolHrVk

---------------------------------------------------------------
Kawai CA701
Kawai ES8 & JBL LSR 305 speakers
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the links. They are very useful and I have already decided to buy AP-620. I will order it tomorrow. There is a shop nearby - but only online- offering good price, 30 days money back and 3 years warranty.

The link on youtube you sent is well known. The guy says something like "that is phenomenal at this price range". It was in connection with dynamic range of the instrument as a result of the four level sampling.

Here is another impressive video on latest Privia and Celviano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxKktvMQFU&feature=related

I personally think that new Privias and Celvianos are bound to be success for the company.

P
P
Nobody buy this DP ?

The AP-620 is very cheap compared to the kawai ca63.

P
P

I keep seeing these Casio special editions, but never see a place to actually purchase them.

S
S
I recently embarked on the journey of finding a digital piano for my wife for her birthday. She plays by ear and learned to play on a traditional upright piano; so it was important for me to find something with a realistic key/hammer feel. She also likes to utilize many of the features that a digital piano offers (tones).. so I wanted to make sure there were plenty of options that she can grow with. She also likes to play loud and sing, so I needed to be sure it had enough volume while maintaining a clean sound. And last but not least, a sharp cabinet that will enhance our home was also an important consideration.

I had a preconceived notion that Yamaha and Roland pianos were the two best and that only those brands would do. After looking for a few weeks, I was "set" on buying the Yamaha YDPV240... even though the cabinet was just "OK" (it looked kinda cheap). I went to a local store and tried it out and loved it, but still had that hesitation because it just didn’t seem to be worth $1,800 when I could pay a little more for a better quality piano.

A "little more $" kept adding up though and I really wanted to stay down around $1,500. During my reading, I ran across this discussion thread and several more that covered the Casio AP620. I watched a few YouTube video demos on it, read the specs and long story short, I went out on a limb and ordered the Casio AP620 for my wife.

I made the right decision by a mile! My wife absolutely loves everything about the new AP620. And the black cabinet looks fabulous in our home (the case is one of the best I have seen on the pianos I looked at under $5k).

The feel is impressive and slightly heavier than the V240 and is very realistic when compared to a traditional piano. The sound is amazing with the 4 speaker system (2 underneath and 2 on top facing the player). The highs are crisp while the lows will vibrate the room like a true bass string. The sound fills our 3,500 sq. ft. home with a beautiful tone… the sound has impressed me the most. The interface was very easy to figure out and in a couple hours she was combining tones, and doing other things that I don’t even understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to come back here and share my journey in case you are considering these two pianos. Best of luck in your search!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just bought the Celviano AP-220 and it is amazing! Got mine off of Amazon.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
S
S
I ordered my Casio Celviano AP-620 from an online retailer, Gigasonic. Shipping was free and extremely fast. http://www.gigasonic.com/

I hope that helps.

M
M
I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PlasticGlass
Thanks for the links. They are very useful and I have already decided to buy AP-620. I will order it tomorrow.

I am strongly considering purchasing the AP-620 and I would like to find out how things worked out for those of you who did buy one. Are you still happy with it ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I've had one since mid-December and I'm very pleased with it. I did get some external monitors but I think that most DPs need them. There are a couple of threads talking about that now that you have probably seen.

Lee
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by leemax
I've had one since mid-December and I'm very pleased with it. I did get some external monitors but I think that most DPs need them. There are a couple of threads talking about that now that you have probably seen.

Glad to hear it.

I would probably consider purchasing the M-Audio BX5a speakers if needed. It is my understanding that I could just plug them into my DP and go. Pretty good reviews.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
L
LAX Offline
L
I have been searching for an EP for a month now. My neighbor suggested me to look into the Casio AP 620. I was at a local store the other day, the salesperson recommeneded the Yamaha YDP181 to me. I believe the Casio is $200 cheaper than the Yamaha.

Based on the specification, Casio has more features than Yamaha and it even comes with an adjustable bench. Actually, I don't care much for most of the features as I am just a beginner and it will take me years before I will know and learn all the features anyway.

What I care most is the key action and response that will give me a close to acoustic piano experience. Also, I would like to know which one will give me lesser maintenace/ repair headache.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments in advance.

Last edited by LAX; 06/25/11 07:21 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
LAX, if you are primarily concerned about the quality of the keyboard action, I would suggest you also consider the CLP-330, which features the GH3 action.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
LAX Offline
L
James, isn't it the CLP-330 is more expansive than the YDP-181? There is only one dealer at 3 locations in my area that carry the Clavinova line. - LAX

LAX, yes, I expect the CLP-330 may be a little more expensive than the YDP-181, however because this is an older model (the CLP-400 range are now shipping), you may be able to pick-up a good deal.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission