2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (brennbaer, Almaviva, anamnesis, galapogos, 6 invisible), 419 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thanks, Dennis. It's a challenge but a great experience, and I think it pushes me to learn. That can only be a good thing. Though I'd be willing to step aside if a much more experienced pianist came along I'm grateful for the opportunity and the trust the church has placed in me.
"Because He Lives" I worked out by ear, so it won't sound like it came from a hymnal(hopefully). I hope you enjoy it.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Yikes!!!
I am not even close to having something ready. I have been working on my Schumann e-cital piece and I have that ready to record, but I was hoping to do a Camille Saint-Saens piece for the ABF recital... I don't think that will happen for this recital. I will probably have to dust off something previously learned... apologies in advanced. frown

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I'm going in a different direction this time and will be performing a fairly accurate version of "piano" also know as "twilight and mist" or simply the entire theme to the Legends of the Fall movie soundtrack. There is such an incredibly beautiful piano theme used for that movie that I want to include it in my recital performances since I sort of use these recitals as a time capsule of what I can play at different times.

Good choice MSH! I am looking forward to listening to this one.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Yikes, Mike. I can't imagine trying to play for a church after 15 years of lessons, much less after one. You are a really brave fellow! I bet you're right about how much it makes you improve. I would become a lot better at sightreading if I had to get different hymns ready each week.

Nancy

Estonia 168
Thanks for the compliment, Nancy. My church is small(70 or so people), and I play Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night. It's usually 2 congregational hymns and an invitational. Not very demanding. I have about 16 hymns I can choose from, so I just rotate these. As I get another hymn down I just add it to the mix. I'm always working on a new one. Right now I'm working on "Nothing But The Blood". It's almost there. Another week.
It helps that I also lead the singing as well. If I had to try to accomodate a Songleader and play in keys he might prefer or other such things, it would probably be a lot harder to do. I also have about 5 songs I can play on the piano as solo performances or specials, and am constantly looking for new ones there. But our church is blessed with many musicians and singers, so I am not the only one singing or playing specials.
As for playing in front of the congregation, I spent 20 years performing live as a guitarist/singer in local bands, so it's kind of normal for me. Although the first few times I tried it on piano I was really nervous, it's easier for me now. Since the guitar was my main instrument for so long, I've got about 30 songs I can pull out on guitar for solo work as well, so while I'm trying to build my solo set list up on the piano I have those to fall back on for variety.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just posted a not-ready-for-prime-time version of my recital piece on the Aw2pp blog. It's rough, but you'd be surprised how far ahead I am of where I usually am. It sounds right now like it usually does a day or three before the submission deadline, so I'm way ahead of the game.

Of course, I'd better be, I've been working on this thing for 4 months now.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
Q
Q
Exams up next month so not sure what I can come up with I haven't planned anything. I got a few super easy songs I've learned that I can record in probably an hour but that would feel like a very "lazy" attempt at just getting something submitted.

I don't know really no idea, not really close to learning anything new as well so not sure if there will be anything.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have a funny little story about me trying to get a better recording of my recital piece today...

Everyone's out of the house, the washing machine has stopped, everything's quiet. I start playing and recording my piece and about a third of the way through I hear a thumping. I try it ignore it (hoping the recorder doesn't pick it up) but it continues in time to what I'm playing. I finally have to stop - look around and our dog, asleep, is beating his tail against the floor in perfect rhythm!

I'm hoping he subliminally liked the piece, he was a very good metronome. laugh

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CMohr
I have a funny little story about me trying to get a better recording of my recital piece today...

Everyone's out of the house, the washing machine has stopped, everything's quiet. I start playing and recording my piece and about a third of the way through I hear a thumping. I try it ignore it (hoping the recorder doesn't pick it up) but it continues in time to what I'm playing. I finally have to stop - look around and our dog, asleep, is beating his tail against the floor in perfect rhythm!

laugh

Originally Posted by CMohr

Very very cool!

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes
Boo!

Scared you, didn't I? smile

May 15th is coming up faster than the flowers are coming out of the ground and starting to bloom (in some areas anyway). So it's time to take inventory and see what we're going to submit.

Get that learning, polishing and recording started.

LOL, wow, already?! Darnit. I am 95% completed with my piece, but it's that last 5% - polishing, dynamics, pedaling, and getting rid of flubs that's taking long...plus, I've started 3 new pieces and have slacked off on this piece a bit. frown

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm starting to get tired of practicing my piece, lovely though it is.

Even without looking at the calendar, this tells me that Recital time is approaching. wink

My piece is Sergei Bortkiewicz's Prelude in D flat, Op.33 No.8.

Right now, the notes are pretty much in my fingers. Once it's polished, I can record.

I hope that happens quickly, because I really want to start something new for the Recital after this one.

Maybe something by Mélanie Hélène Bonis, or a Nocturne by Chopin's pupil Adolf Gutmann, or a Prelude by César Cui. Or something more exotic by Josef Suk or Francis Poulenc, maybe.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don't be in too much of a rush to get a good recording right now. Especially if you just reached the point of making it through without a stumble. Ever notice how much BETTER you can perform your recital piece once you have already submitted it?

Happens to me every time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gah! I've been playing my piece all the way through, as if it was recording time, and I just *cannot* get through without a mistake, always in different places. I know it'll be even worse when the red dot is on (i.e. making mistakes where I *never* make mistakes).

Arg!! It's not even official recital time and I'm stressing out! laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I agree with Mr. Super-Hunky about getting a good take once the pressure is off, but even if I get a decent--not perfect--take that I haven't submitted yet, I start doing a lot better on later recordings. I haven't tried recording after I've submitted, so maybe that will get me the best version of all!

Nancy

Estonia 168
H
OP Offline
H
I might start trying to record something on Tuesday. Seems like a good day. Down to four or five selections now, I think. I'll just have to see which one is inspiring me the most when I record.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just bought a new recording device yesterday (Tascam DR-08), and had a chance to try it out last night. It's so much easier to use than my old one and the recording quality is much better, too. But the piece I'm going to submit gained at least 10% more mistakes as soon as I turned it on. I looked through the manual to see how to turn on the auto-error-correct function, but couldn't find it anywhere! Anybody know how to enable that feature? Or do I have to upgrade? wink

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
I looked through the manual to see how to turn on the auto-error-correct function, but couldn't find it anywhere! Anybody know how to enable that feature? Or do I have to upgrade? wink

LOL! laugh

Yeah, I'm afraid you're going to have to upgrade to MaryBee 2.3 to get that error-correct function. wink

L
L
I actually have to record mine by the end of April if I want to submit one frown I'll be studying abroad beginning of May and no piano for 5 weeks! =(( Wish I could bring one along X.x

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NancyM333
I agree with Mr. Super-Hunky
Nancy

Nancy you've been agreeing with me a lot lately. Don't think I haven't noticed. I'm just sayin'! Stop flirting.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,757
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission