2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (AcousticAndre, 36251, anotherscott, CyberGene, Anglagard44, BlakeOR, Carey, Charles Cohen, 21 invisible), 655 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 57 of 75 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 74 75
Good to hear from you Cyborg. I liked both of those pieces your working on, and if memory serves (a rarity), they both lead to even better pieces in the Advanced section.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I've been skipping around and working on "Trumpet Tune". Now, I have some more free time... no grad school and spring break from work!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just a quick check in-

Finished the last piece in the 2nd Romatntic Impressions book. Now waiting for book 3 to arrive. Am almost but not quite there with the Vangelis Hymne. A few chord transitions and the tremolo at the end still hanging me up. And we started on Crisofori's Dream, also.

On an outside of lesson note, hubby and I went to see Trans Siberian Orchestra last week. They are touring right now with Beethoven's Last Night. As always with them it was a stellar show. And made me start pulling out the few Beethoven pieces I have attempted to play. Haven't quite mustered the courage to go back into Moomlight Sonataa, tho!

Last edited by IrishMak; 04/07/10 02:44 PM.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Happy Birthday Mak smile

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
Happy Birthday Mak smile

Thanks!

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
Yes, a belated Happy Birthday Mak and I’m jealous of your getting to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra live!

Undone

[Linked Image]
Progress update: I finished “Jazz Ostinato” this past weekend and have now moved on to “The Tap Dancer” and “Moonlight Sonata”. Jazz Ostinato is nothing I’d care to keep in my repertoire, but it was a lot of fun to play (especially if you try to speed it up a bit). Moonlight Sonata is at the end of the book but at the bottom of Jazz Ostinato it states “you can now try Moonlight Sonata…” so I’ve started working on it. I’m sure I’ll be working on if for some time to come which is why I’m also continuing on in the main section of the book.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yea, Moonlight mov 1 seems like only moderately difficult technically, plus it has a slow pace, but it's quite long. Learning the whole thing would take quite a while.

One of my long term fantasies would be learning the 3rd mov of this haunting classic

[Linked Image]
HI Mak and belated Happy Birthday! Aren't TSO GREAT! I missed them last year and vowed that I wouldn't miss another concert! I am just starting "Moonlight Sonata" (1) and I am only on the seventh measure:-) I agree with Waltz, the piece is slow pace.

Take care!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you! Yes, TSO always put on an awesome show. We missed the Christmas show last year, so whane we got the fan club info about Beethoven's Last Night, we had to go!

Moonlight is slow piece, but there are tricky bits! I can't say I ever "mastered" it, but for where I am now, it was ok. My teacher says we will revisit it at a later date!

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

Quick question (that makes NO sense whatsoever because im only half way through book ONE!) but, where do you go after you finish book three ? if your teaching yourself from books as I am, what are your choices once you've finished this series ?

Yamaha P90
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
SsL - see the link below to a post of mine in this thread from Feb. of last year - this should give you some ideas, at least if you're at least partially interested in Classical piano studies:

What's maybe next?

As far as popular music, etc. the choices are virtually unlimited - check out the many compilations and anthologies avaiable at www.sheetmusicplus.com for example.

JF

Last edited by John Frank; 04/23/10 07:27 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
JF – You beat me to it, and I was just going to recommend you as a source! Here’s what I was about to post:

This post mentions a few ideas: Life After Alfred Book 3

There was also another series of posts that had a great list of some of the various repertoire books that would make a good place to go after book 3, but I haven’t been able to find that one again. Maybe JF would remember it.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just had a quick look at Alfred's Essential Keyboard Repertoire and thats pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Id never heard of that before but it looks really comprehensive. 8 volumes I think !

I suppose another good way to go for developing technique and sight reading skills after finishing the All In One course would be the study books for the actual piano grades ?

Yamaha P90
N
N
I stopped in Alfred's #3 without doing much there. I just didn't enjoy the music as much. I'm doing the Piano grades that they do here: http://www.nationalmusiccertificate.org/index2.html

I started on level 3; then didn't take the exam (we missed the sign up date. Oops) and now I'm working on level 4 stuff. I enjoy the music and if you do the studies, there's a combination of shorter pieces with the longer pieces in the repertoire book.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SmokestackLightnin
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just had a quick look at Alfred's Essential Keyboard Repertoire and thats pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Id never heard of that before but it looks really comprehensive. 8 volumes I think !

I'm currently using EKR 1 - nice selection of early intermediate pieces in their original form, covering a wide time period and variety of composers - easy to read format - recommended thumb

JF

P.S. if you're interested two Baroque minuets recorded by me from EKR 1 can be heard in the April Piano Bar thread.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice job on those, John. I enjoyed your playing. I've been taking notes on this thread and the previous ones and compiling a list of books to look forward to when I am at (or almost finished with) Book 3. Since I am currently struggling with the early book 2 pieces, that will be a while, but it's never to early to have a plan. :-)

P.S. I just couldn't get "Light and Blue" in book 2 until I listened to your recording and internalized your LH rhythm. Thanks for posting your pieces. It really helps those coming up behind you.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Nice job on those, John. I enjoyed your playing.

P.S. I just couldn't get "Light and Blue" in book 2 until I listened to your recording and internalized your LH rhythm. Thanks for posting your pieces. It really helps those coming up behind you.

Thanks mom3 - glad my recording of L&B helped - mine was a modified and slightly expanded version of this, and was one of the few pieces I recorded from any of the 3 books that I was (and still am) completely happy with.

JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Back after a week away (from pianoworld, not piano), this thread was on page 6 or so, and needed a "bump".

An update: I finished up Invention 8 a couple of weeks ago and actually started on Burgmuller's "25 easy and progressive studies". I also started learning "Zanarkand" (I had learned the intro a while back, but now it's time to learn the entire piece...). Making great progress on both, but contrary to the name, Burgmuller's studies really aren't that easy.

[Linked Image]
Welcome back (to pianoworld) Waltz. I'm still plugging away at Moonlight (and will be for some time to come) and I'm working on Soldier's Joy (which is taking longer then I initially thought it would).

Undone

[Linked Image]
Page 57 of 75 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 74 75

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,396
Posts3,084,136
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission