2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1418147 04/15/10 07:38 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Does anyone know how I find out if there are any pedagogy workshops in NJ? I've googled and checked NJMTA and the National MTA as well with no luck. I'm looking for continuing education. I have a BA in Music Ed, but really was not trained in how to teach piano, but rather, how to teach music in schools. It is a broad based degree. The one pedagogy course that I took was of no use at all--we basically learned about method books and how to compare scores. I've gained most of my education from the excellent professors I had in college, however, college-level piano lessons don't always work when teaching beginners, especially little ones! I've purchased a multidue of books, but I really learn best when I am in a classroom situation. Books just don't sink in for me.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Rider University - Westminster College of the Arts - Continuing Education

Saturday Seminars
One-day workshops for professional and amateur musicians, music educators and music lovers offered on seven Saturdays throughout the academic year. Instructors are Westminster artist faculty as well as noted guest artists and pedagogues.

Summer Seminars
One of the nation’s oldest summer programs for professional and amateur musicians. One and two-week seminars presented by leaders in the field, focus on a broad range of programs and disciplines. Graduate credit is available.

Piano Pedagogy Certificate
A program for piano teachers who want to improve their musical skills, enhance their credentials and expand their professional development. Appropriate for pianists who are currently teaching or who would like to return to teaching.

You might find this helpful:
Dr. Martha Beth Lewis
A large number of text-based guides on specific piano-pedagogy topics by a recognized expert,
covering such areas as general pedagogy, teaching rhythm, note reading, artistry, practice techniques, ornamentation, children, adults, beginners, recitals and memorizing, competitions, business practices in the private music studio, copyright issues and much more
http://www.serve.com/marbeth/pedagogy.html

And, there is an online study with Beth Klingenstine that I do not have the link at the moment. Search here with "online" or "pedagogy" or her name". If you can't find it, I'll post again with that information.

Best wishes.

Betty

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
Rider University - Westminster College of the Arts - Continuing Education

Saturday Seminars
One-day workshops for professional and amateur musicians, music educators and music lovers offered on seven Saturdays throughout the academic year. Instructors are Westminster artist faculty as well as noted guest artists and pedagogues.

Summer Seminars
One of the nation’s oldest summer programs for professional and amateur musicians. One and two-week seminars presented by leaders in the field, focus on a broad range of programs and disciplines. Graduate credit is available.

Piano Pedagogy Certificate
A program for piano teachers who want to improve their musical skills, enhance their credentials and expand their professional development. Appropriate for pianists who are currently teaching or who would like to return to teaching.

You might find this helpful:
Dr. Martha Beth Lewis
A large number of text-based guides on specific piano-pedagogy topics by a recognized expert,
covering such areas as general pedagogy, teaching rhythm, note reading, artistry, practice techniques, ornamentation, children, adults, beginners, recitals and memorizing, competitions, business practices in the private music studio, copyright issues and much more
http://www.serve.com/marbeth/pedagogy.html

And, there is an online study with Beth Klingenstine that I do not have the link at the moment. Search here with "online" or "pedagogy" or her name". If you can't find it, I'll post again with that information.

Best wishes.

Betty

Hi Betty, thanks for going above and beyond as always in replying to my post. I actually have looked into this. I am not interested in expending another huge amount of money and time for a Pedag. Cert. It took me a million years and a million dollars (a slight exaggeration) to get my BA in Music Ed. and I have already taken most of the courses involved. The Sat. Seminars so far have not offered the type of workshops I am interested in, but hopefully in the future, that will change. I will check out the other resources you mentioned. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you!

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Certainly, you're welcome, Irene!

If not for you, then maybe someone else can take an interest in some of these happenings for piano teachers in New Jersey area.

It's great the way resources get passed along.

Hope you find what you need and get right to it. I'd like some of the same kinds of things in my area.

Betty

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm trying to understand what you want. You want to take a regular, continuing class but do not want to get a degree?

(I ask because I am from NJ and am rather familiar with a good deal of the teachers in central NJ.)

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Go observe lessons and classes at the New School.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Minaku
I'm trying to understand what you want. You want to take a regular, continuing class but do not want to get a degree?

(I ask because I am from NJ and am rather familiar with a good deal of the teachers in central NJ.)

I do have a degree in Music Education, however, which included all the harmony levels, various one-semester courses in various instruments, music history, etc. It really didn't prepare me to teach the various levels/ages/personalities in private piano lessons. I know experience is a great teacher, as well as the lessons we learn from our piano teachers. However, I'm interested in workshops that offer ideas to hold children's interest, teaching technique to younger children, etc. My one pedagogy class unfortunately focused on picking a method and reporting on it, and comparing editions of a sonata. Not very helpful. I plan to sit in on some lessons at the New School, but was hoping for something more formal. It looks to me like you have to register for a semester at Westminster, when I actually just want to take a course or two.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You can't register for post-bac classes as part time? Hmm.

Does Ingrid Clarfield still teach classes at Westminster? If not, the entire piano faculty is really wonderful and any of them would be more than adequate. I have good memories of Mrs. Clarfield and Mrs. Lehrer, both of whom I can credit with inspiring me to become a teacher in the first place.

Really what I think you're looking for are workshops that would be found at a teachers' convention. Check the NJMEA/NJMTA and other organizations that may hold yearly conventions.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Ingrid had a stroke. Not sure how much she is teaching.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
She had a stroke and that precludes her from using her left hand, but she's still been up and around teaching. I saw her two years ago at a teaching convention.

But it's been two years; I don't know if she has continued to lead her life the same way.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission