Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
75 registered members (AprilE, Beowulf, Agent88, Anticlock, brooster, 21 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own #1417368
04/14/10 06:39 PM
04/14/10 06:39 PM
Seattle, Washingon
Neil Sundberg Offline OP
Neil Sundberg  Offline OP

Seattle, Washingon

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYPianotuning/?yguid=74281353

Please come and join our group where we help each other with tuning our own pianos. Just click on the link above.

I'm happy to say that today I successfully tuned my own Mason Hamlin BB. Read more at the site.

My approach to tuning my own piano is pretty unconventional, but I am getting really good results. I invite anyone in the Seattle area to come by and I'll play it for you- I'm serious. Just PM me here.

Neil

Last edited by Neil Sundberg; 04/14/10 06:46 PM.

Light Touch Piano Moves LLC
Lighttouchpianomoves.com
206-547-7664
https://www.facebook.com/Pianolift-USA-227200424150713/
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Neil Sundberg] #1417424
04/14/10 08:17 PM
04/14/10 08:17 PM
Danville, California
F
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Furtwangler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F

Danville, California
Neil, I would love to join, but tonight is my DIY Neurosurgery group meeting, and I don't want to be late. Tonight's topic is

"Should self-anesthesia necessarily impair surgical technique?"

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Furtwangler] #1417428
04/14/10 08:31 PM
04/14/10 08:31 PM
New Orleans, LA
Scrubby_Jones Offline
Scrubby_Jones  Offline

New Orleans, LA
For the record, I've performed brain surgery. I think it's easier than tuning a piano...

"Practice, practice, practice... then make a left."
-Demitri Martin
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Neil Sundberg] #1417437
04/14/10 08:45 PM
04/14/10 08:45 PM
SouthWest Michigan
R
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Roger Ransom  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

SouthWest Michigan

There are always a bunch of smart mouths here (easy to ignore) which is a good reason to start your own forum. I like it and I just joined.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Roger Ransom] #1417477
04/14/10 09:51 PM
04/14/10 09:51 PM
Delaware (slower/lower)
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralph  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Delaware (slower/lower)
There's a lot of information in the tech forum about tuning. No real need to go elsewhere.

I'll have to defer to SJ about brain surgery being harder than tuning, however reading through the purposed medicare cuts, potentially financially more rewarding.

Do or do not. There is no try.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Ralph] #1417542
04/15/10 12:02 AM
04/15/10 12:02 AM
Nashville, TN
P
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pianolance  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by Ralph
There's a lot of information in the tech forum about tuning. No real need to go elsewhere.

I'll have to defer to SJ about brain surgery being harder than tuning, however reading through the purposed medicare cuts, potentially financially more rewarding.

While there IS a lot of great information on the Tech forum, I have found that they take a reather dim view of do it yourselfers and there is quite an attitude when that topic comes up. Is as though, when reading some of their posts, you can literally see their eyes rolling. There isn't another forum that I'm aware of for DIY tuners (of which I am one). I have found that if you ask a question on the tech forum you get lots of attitude and very little real help.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Pianolance] #1417559
04/15/10 12:38 AM
04/15/10 12:38 AM
New Orleans, LA
Scrubby_Jones Offline
Scrubby_Jones  Offline

New Orleans, LA
I think I was just called a smart mouth... I'm actually quite stoked about the prospect of tuning my own piano. I'd also be interested in learning more about voicing and so forth as well. I replaced a bridle strap (sp?) on my own piano and fixed the sustain pedal on the piano at the medical school (back in the day) and found both to be exceptionally rewarding.

But still... brain surgery is easier. Just sayin...

-Demitri Martin
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Pianolance] #1417774
04/15/10 10:08 AM
04/15/10 10:08 AM
Ocala, Florida
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member
M.O.P.  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ocala, Florida
Originally Posted by Pianolance
Originally Posted by Ralph

While there IS a lot of great information on the Tech forum, I have found that they take a reather dim view of do it yourselfers and there is quite an attitude when that topic comes up. Is as though, when reading some of their posts, you can literally see their eyes rolling. There isn't another forum that I'm aware of for DIY tuners (of which I am one). I have found that if you ask a question on the tech forum you get lots of attitude and very little real help.

Please keep in mind when posting threads such as this on a technicians forum, or a piano forum (of which many technicians read and participate), you are asking a professional to tell you all the specifics of how you can do his/her job. In other words, why he/she should give up a portion of his/her livelihood (income) not to mention share techniques and expertise he/she has worked years to perfect, hours & money he/she continues to spend to attend continuing education classes and conferences to hone his/her skills and keep up with advancing technology, all so he/she can share this for free. Please excuse the sarcasm, but this should not be a difficult concept to understand.

Oh! Got to run, Furtwangler has started a study group for the DIY Neurosurgery Group & I don't want to miss this week's assignment.

Last edited by M.O.P.; 04/15/10 10:13 AM.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: M.O.P.] #1417794
04/15/10 10:34 AM
04/15/10 10:34 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Cy Shuster, RPT  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Albuquerque, NM
I got started as a tech by being a DIY tuner. Like learning anything else (including rocket surgery! :-), there are people who are conscientious and have a sense of craftsmanship and professionalism, and those who don't. Unfortunately, it's tough in an online forum to distinguish between the two. As a result, I often find that my concern for inadvertently causing a poster to damage their piano outweighs my desire to help (even pulling an action is fraught with danger, and how often do you get to say "fraught"?). It's a lot easier to work with people in person. There should be no reason to call a tech in order to remove a grand fallboard to take a pencil out, but it's easy to chip the finish when you reinstall it, and I've nearly taken out chandeliers a couple of times. I don't recommend that the average person try to replace a string on their new Fazioli.

We need more piano techs. Electronic Tuning Devices (ETDs) are making self-study of tuning easier, but they're still a lot more complicated to use correctly than guitar tuners due to pianos' complexity. Pin manipulation is as hard to learn online as a tennis serve.

The PTG is here to help you learn. There are many books, mailing lists, and other resources to explore. Learning the correct terms will improve your interactions with other techs, just as it helped me when I was learning to sail. See "Piano Parts and their Functions" compiled by Merle Mason, or twenty years of the PTG Journal on easily-searchable CD-ROM.
http://ptg.org/resources-books.php

Local chapters meet monthly in dozens of cities around the US, and the next big national conference is in Las Vegas at the end of June (http://ptg.org/conv/2010/).

Here's the info on how to become a technician:
http://ptg.org/becomingATech.php

Good luck, and remember to always wiggle a grand lid side-to-side before you open it! If the hinge pins aren't there, you're in for a big surprise...

--Cy--

P.S. Tumors are that dark pink stuff, and healthy brain tissue is that whitish stuff, right? How much extra healthy tissue should you cut out, just to be safe? I have some cellphone pix if it helps...

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Director, PTG Norfolk 2016 Technical Institute
http://convention.ptg.org
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: M.O.P.] #1417798
04/15/10 10:36 AM
04/15/10 10:36 AM
Vancouver B. C. Canada
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Silverwood Pianos  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Vancouver B. C. Canada
Originally Posted by M.O.P.

Please keep in mind when posting threads such as this on a technicians forum, or a piano forum (of which many technicians read and participate), you are asking a professional to tell you all the specifics of how you can do his/her job. In other words, why he/she should give up a portion of his/her livelihood (income) not to mention share techniques and expertise he/she has worked years to perfect, hours & money he/she continues to spend to attend continuing education classes and conferences to hone his/her skills and keep up with advancing technology, all so he/she can share this for free. Please excuse the sarcasm, but this should not be a difficult concept to understand.

Exactly. After all when using the term DIY this means that you would like to do it yourself. Well then, go to the library, get some books about piano tuning and get going. Or go to the PTG web site and grab the PACE lessons. Or purchase the Randy Potter course. These are all self study concepts........

After all you want to do it yourself so why come to the tech forum and ask for help then? This is not do it yourself.....that would be do it yourself with some experienced technicians help for free.....

Doing it yourself is exactly what it means....researching and developing your own skills...

Uh-oh...here is that attitude someone was musing about.........

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com
http://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Silverwood Pianos] #1417821
04/15/10 11:02 AM
04/15/10 11:02 AM
New Orleans, LA
Scrubby_Jones Offline
Scrubby_Jones  Offline

New Orleans, LA
Cy, NOOOO!!!!! For the love of God DON'T TAKE OUT THE DARK PINK STUFF!!!!! I hope it's not too late...

-Demitri Martin
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: M.O.P.] #1417838
04/15/10 11:22 AM
04/15/10 11:22 AM
Florida
HeirborneGroupie Offline
HeirborneGroupie  Offline

Florida
Hee hee. Funny one Nancy.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Cy Shuster, RPT] #1417851
04/15/10 11:34 AM
04/15/10 11:34 AM
Delaware (slower/lower)
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralph  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Delaware (slower/lower)
Originally Posted by Cy Shuster
I got started as a tech by being a DIY tuner. Like learning anything else (including rocket surgery! :-), there are people who are conscientious and have a sense of craftsmanship and professionalism, and those who don't. Unfortunately, it's tough in an online forum to distinguish between the two. As a result, I often find that my concern for inadvertently causing a poster to damage their piano outweighs my desire to help (even pulling an action is fraught with danger, and how often do you get to say "fraught"?). It's a lot easier to work with people in person. There should be no reason to call a tech in order to remove a grand fallboard to take a pencil out, but it's easy to chip the finish when you reinstall it, and I've nearly taken out chandeliers a couple of times. I don't recommend that the average person try to replace a string on their new Fazioli.

We need more piano techs. Electronic Tuning Devices (ETDs) are making self-study of tuning easier, but they're still a lot more complicated to use correctly than guitar tuners due to pianos' complexity. Pin manipulation is as hard to learn online as a tennis serve.

The PTG is here to help you learn. There are many books, mailing lists, and other resources to explore. Learning the correct terms will improve your interactions with other techs, just as it helped me when I was learning to sail. See "Piano Parts and their Functions" compiled by Merle Mason, or twenty years of the PTG Journal on easily-searchable CD-ROM.
http://ptg.org/resources-books.php

Local chapters meet monthly in dozens of cities around the US, and the next big national conference is in Las Vegas at the end of June (http://ptg.org/conv/2010/).

Here's the info on how to become a technician:
http://ptg.org/becomingATech.php

Good luck, and remember to always wiggle a grand lid side-to-side before you open it! If the hinge pins aren't there, you're in for a big surprise...

--Cy--

P.S. Tumors are that dark pink stuff, and healthy brain tissue is that whitish stuff, right? How much extra healthy tissue should you cut out, just to be safe? I have some cellphone pix if it helps...

See, I told you guys there's no need to go elsewhere. There's also a "search" function that comes in pretty handy. Plenty of info in the archives. No need to get the pro techs riled up by asking a question like...."so, how do you tune a piano?". The last thing a DIYer needs is another DIYer on a DIYer forum telling him how to tune.

Warning, remove too much of the white tissue and you'll end up with a desire to tune your own piano.

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: M.O.P.] #1417856
04/15/10 11:38 AM
04/15/10 11:38 AM
Florida
HeirborneGroupie Offline
HeirborneGroupie  Offline

Florida

Oh! Got to run, Furtwangler has started a study group for the DIY Neurosurgery Group & I don't want to miss this week's assignment.

Oh.....Don't try out any of your homework assignments on Bruce please. I need him to tune my piano grin

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: HeirborneGroupie] #1417863
04/15/10 11:49 AM
04/15/10 11:49 AM
Ocala, Florida
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member
M.O.P.  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ocala, Florida
Dang! I was going to use him as my practice patient. Sigh.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

Forte' on Facebook

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: M.O.P.] #1417874
04/15/10 12:04 PM
04/15/10 12:04 PM
Danville, California
F
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Furtwangler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F

Danville, California
You won't want to miss tonite's assignment:

"The Cerebral Cortex - a necessary evil?"

and coming up next week:

"Surgery on family, friends and other freeloaders - how to say "No" gently but firmly".

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Furtwangler] #1417880
04/15/10 12:09 PM
04/15/10 12:09 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
I agree that the term “do-it-yourself” or DIY tuners stirs up a lot of controversy here on the piano forums. I’ve actually been through the hazing line on the piano technician’s forum more than once. But, I learned something each time. I learned that you have to approach the professionals there in a certain way, with humility and respect. Quite often they provide information that might be hard to find otherwise, or without cost.

So, I agree with Ralph, the pro’s here certainly have something of value to offer other members here on the forums. I think most of them are highly skilled and intelligent professionals and they are ready and willing to help those who are genuinely interested in learning piano technology, and not just someone who wants something for nothing or free technical advice. I think most of them do give advice and information to PW members responsibly and in a professional manor.

Besides, you ought to hear the way they argue amongst themselves at times! grin

Okay, now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Rickster] #1417891
04/15/10 12:27 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
and coming up next week:

"Surgery on family, friends and other freeloaders - how to say "No" gently but firmly".

We get to sit on needles and pins for this one......... Placed strategically on chairs for certain people. The DYI'er that started this topic gets the first seat.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Furtwangler] #1417892
Ocala, Florida
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member
M.O.P.  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ocala, Florida
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
You won't want to miss tonite's assignment:

"The Cerebral Cortex - a necessary evil?"

and coming up next week:

Yes! Thanks for the advance notice. I'll sharpen up the instruments for my regularly scheduled practice session.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

Forte' on Facebook

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1417895
04/15/10 12:30 PM
04/15/10 12:30 PM
Ocala, Florida
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member
M.O.P.  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ocala, Florida
Jerry, that would be one of the newly designed chairs equipped with the latest in needling tool heads?

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

Forte' on Facebook

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: M.O.P.] #1417922
04/15/10 01:00 PM
04/15/10 01:00 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot RPT  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Grand Rapids Michigan
Yep it sure would. I guess you got my "point" huh?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Jerry Groot RPT] #1417956
04/15/10 01:59 PM
04/15/10 01:59 PM
Ocala, Florida
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member
M.O.P.  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ocala, Florida
This just in. Our Sr. Tech advised me that he has it on good authority that Chumley from the new show "Pawn Stars" is now working on pianos that they buy at the Pawn Shop. Awesome! DIYer's Unite!

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

Forte' on Facebook

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: M.O.P.] #1417973
04/15/10 02:33 PM
04/15/10 02:33 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Keep in mind that the hammer technique necessary to maintain tight pins is difficult to master. Loose pins caused by a DIYer with poor technique would not be covered under warranty.

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Furtwangler] #1417997
04/15/10 03:24 PM
04/15/10 03:24 PM
chicago, il
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Entheo  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

chicago, il
the perfect apparel for the job...

[Linked Image]

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Entheo] #1418028
04/15/10 04:00 PM
04/15/10 04:00 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Hi Steve,

I think you are one who loves a good debate or argument. I’ve never been good at argument and debate, but we all might learn something here. Exactly what is your definition of a DIYer? As a general rule, (and I’m sure someone will be quick to correct me if I’m wrong) the piano technician’s trade is not a licensed or regulated profession or trade like many other professions or trades (Dr’s, Lawyers, Accountants, HVAC contractors, Electricians, plumbers, etc….). The Piano Technicians Guild recognizes technicians who pass an exam and allows them to be members of the technicians guild as registered piano technicians. This is not, however, a requirement to practice as a piano technician. There are probably thousands of freelance individual piano technicians who work as fulltime piano technicians and are not registered with the Piano Technicians Guild for whatever reason. Are these individuals DIYer’s?

I tried to find an older thread I remember reading here a few years ago where an individual bought a new Kawai grand (RX 2 or RX 3) from an authorized dealer and the piano tech at the dealer had driven the tuning pins all the way into the tuning block so the bottom of the string coils were touching the plate trying to tune it. Was this store tech a DIYer? If my memory serves me correctly, the dealer and Kawai didn’t want to do anything under the factory warranty; and, I think Kawai Don got involved and got the situation resolved for the customer with the installation of new bass tuning pins the next size larger so it could be properly tuned.

Just because someone identifies themselves as a DIYer, doesn’t mean they are stupid or ignorant or have no skills or abilities. And, chances are, a person who purchases a new piano that is under warranty would be aware of such things as you mentioned. I wonder how many DIY tuners have actually ruined a pin block as you mentioned?

So, I wouldn’t be too hard on the DIY tuners who are members of this forum. Besides, I’ve been to several piano stores where the overpriced pianos were as out of tune as they could be and I thought it was a disgrace for them to try to sell an instrument in that condition. Fact is, a DIY tuning is probably better than no tuning at all. Of course, I would imagine that would depend on the skill level of the DIYer, right?

Oh, and there is a lot less bleeding involved in tuning you own piano, unless you get the voicing needle out!

Take care!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Rickster] #1418057
04/15/10 04:40 PM
04/15/10 04:40 PM
Delaware (slower/lower)
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralph  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Delaware (slower/lower)
I've actually found most of the pro techs to be very helpful. They will occasionally go for eachother's jugular, but it's fun to watch. When a DIYer floats by in their forum, well, it's like chum and the feeding frenzy begins.

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Ralph] #1418065
04/15/10 05:09 PM
04/15/10 05:09 PM
Coastal Mississippi
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member
Woody-Woodruff  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Coastal Mississippi
I knew this was going to be an interesting topic as soon as I saw the "title". As Rickster already knows, I am another DIYer. I, too, have been hung out to dry for even thinking about tuning my own piano let alone actually doing it.

I have a POS spinet piano that was 2 1/2 full notes low when I got her and hadn't been tuned in almost a half a century. The unisons were out, the octaves were out - but for me it was better than nothing. I had an acoustic piano. I spent probably 200 hours getting her back into playable shape and at A=440. Sure, it took me longer than would an experienced technician, but here in Hooterville there isn't a technician for miles and at $100 an hour - exactly how many hours would it take for me to spend well over what the piano was worth (maybe $100).

Perhaps if I lived in an area with access to the real world, and paid thousands for my piano I would have tought twice about my abilities and the damage that could I could cause. But that is not the case. So cut us self-tuner some slack.

Woody Woodruff

[Linked Image]
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Woody-Woodruff] #1418091
04/15/10 05:47 PM
04/15/10 05:47 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Woody, I’ve heard recordings of your piano and it sounds splendid.

There are certainly valid reasons that someone with no knowledge about tuning a piano should attempt to tune or service their own piano. What irks me about the tone of this thread is the insinuation by a few that anyone who does attempt to learn to tune their own piano (a DIYer) is a fool and an idiot. What’s the quote I’ve read here… “a person who represents themselves in court has a fool for a lawyer”, hence, DIY tuner = fool. Or a DIY tuner will damage the pin block and void the manufacturers warranty, hence, a DIY tuner = idiot.

Okay, I work 10 hour days and I’m getting tired by now… glad I don’t need to tune my own piano this evening! grin

Take care,

Rick

Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Woody-Woodruff] #1418093
04/15/10 05:52 PM
04/15/10 05:52 PM
Toronto, Canada
M
MusicBud Offline
MusicBud  Offline
M

Toronto, Canada
Rickster and Woody-Woodruff,

Well said thumb

Kawai RX-3, UST-9.
Re: friendly DIY piano tuning group- tune your own [Re: Ralph] #1418104
04/15/10 06:21 PM
04/15/10 06:21 PM
Ocala, Florida
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member
M.O.P.  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ocala, Florida
Hi Rickster!

All poking at each other aside, you do bring up some very valid points. It's a shame you have been in piano stores where the instruments weren't well tuned/prepped, etc. Many dealers simply hire the least expensive tuner they can find - its a matter of economics and sometimes, just a mindset that they don't think shoppers can tell the difference (big mistake). It's an unfortunate fact of life in this business.

You also address regulation of the piano service industry. At the risk of starting a real bare knuckles brawl with many here, we actually think that could (emphasis on "could") be a good thing. The last survey we received from the Central Florida Chapter of the PTG regarding this had many interesting answers. Basically it boiled down to this: The majority of responders don't want regulation because it would require them to be held to a certain standard in their profession (dare I say if you consider yourself a "Professional", you might want to actually be one?). Also, the majority of responders had not made even the effort of going through the RPT testing, nor do they ever intend to, nor had they even considered taking the time to investigate the possibility. They would have to make an effort to change their mindset, shell out a few bucks, be held accountable. But I digress, hold on a sec, I've got to climb down off this soapbox. smile You ask if pianos technicians because they are not RPT's are considered DIYer's. Not all...but there are many lurking in the pack. Some are, some aren't.

You mention DIYer's being considered stupid. I don't think so. You tune your piano, I don't think you're stupid. But you also have respect for your instrument and what you are comfortable doing and what your skills are. You have apparently weighed the pro's & con's. Most DIYer's (in many areas) actually are exercising their brain matter - wow! - what a concept, huh? However, many also get in way over their heads and yes, Steve is right, a warranty can be voided. We've seen it happen over the years sadly enough, and on more than one occasion (have also seen it happen when service was performed by a self professed "professional"). But, stupid? No. Maybe a bit naive if one doesn't approach with caution.

Not really intending to be hard on DIYer's, myself, but they really should consider they are asking for a technician to give freely of information, skills and expertise he/she has worked many years to obtain and perfect. All technicians aren't snarling canines just waiting to be let off the leash to chase another DIYer. They're protective of their wallets and their knowledge. Nothing wrong with that.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

Forte' on Facebook

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whaletone
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:36 AM
What do you use to hold loose sheet music up?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:22 AM
Bechstein A190
by Bingo55. 10/22/18 11:32 PM
Key Action Roland FP-30 vs Kawai es110
by donfelipes. 10/22/18 10:57 PM
Sound Magic's pianos
by angmyu. 10/22/18 10:28 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,944
Posts2,754,831
Members91,316
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission