2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Hello Guys,

I missd you all...

As I mentioned on my previous messages, im quite new to the piano playing bussines...

Does anyone here knows a good website that teaches how to play modern songs on the piano?

Any help would be great!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Do you mean pop or jazz ?

You could always find the sheet music online or just watch videos on youtube. Any search such as 'Owl City Fireflies Piano Tutorial' will have loadsa videos. That's how I've learnt most of the songs I know.

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Current Keyboards: Yamaha PSS-560 & M-Audio Keystation 61es
Autodidact Since: 17/03/10
I
I
Yeah i would have to agree with the.grey.squirrel. You would be surprised how many tutorials there are on Youtube.

S
S
I was wondering if someone could explain the popularity of tutorials. I don't get it, why not just read the sheet music? All the info is there. Combine that with your pre-knowledge of the piece and you have everything you need.

So why learn from a tutorial rather than sheet music?

Sheet music that you get at a store generally does NOT "sound like the record," at least for pop and jazz. Transcriptions are rare. Usually you get "easy piano" stuff or something that does not sound at all like the record, except for maybe the intro. When you get these video tutorials, you can learn what sounds much more like the pop record, and you can learn it by rote if you don't like reading music. . . .

If you can't get it completely by ear, try a video tutorial. Don't go with the first YouTube you see--shop around. (grin)

Shalanna Collins http://shalanna.livejournal.com
*I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake*

Also some of us, i.e. me, can't read sheet music yet and so watching someone else and copying is the easiest way for me until I learn to read music better.

Plus, unlike some sheet music, it's free.

Last edited by the.grey.squirrel; 04/15/10 12:32 PM.

B
B
Originally Posted by the_pianist26
Hello Guys,

I missd you all...

As I mentioned on my previous messages, im quite new to the piano playing bussines...

Does anyone here knows a good website that teaches how to play modern songs on the piano?

Any help would be great!

There is a lot of information in this thread if you get a chance to read thru it.

Pop Piano Pro Thread

Dale

Dale
S
S
Originally Posted by ShalannaCollins
Sheet music that you get at a store generally does NOT "sound like the record," at least for pop and jazz. Transcriptions are rare. Usually you get "easy piano" stuff or something that does not sound at all like the record, except for maybe the intro. When you get these video tutorials, you can learn what sounds much more like the pop record, and you can learn it by rote if you don't like reading music. . . .

If you can't get it completely by ear, try a video tutorial. Don't go with the first YouTube you see--shop around. (grin)

Yeah but in the same amount of time it takes to make a tutorial you could just write the sheet music (well maybe a little more time). Anyways I guess there are more people out there that can't read music than I realize, that seems to be the main reason from your responses. Though you have a point that pop music is hard to find good sheet music for. But classical, the sheet music is usually accessible and very good.

Thanks!

T
OP Offline
T
I was looking at the youtube tutorials, some are really good, but some should not be called tutorials as you can hardly see anything.....

Thank you for the help... I am starting an online research in order to find good tutorials, and I will keep you updated.

Glad we could help and yes, there's some shocking excuses of tutorials but there's still plenty of useful ones. May I also suggest you work through these videos if you're going to be going this alone (i.e. self-taught): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphWgqbF-AM he takes a bit of getting used to but some great tips and actual progress.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission