2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MarcoM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am wondering how others here cope with the difference between the piano you practice on and the piano you play on at the lesson say when the 'lesson piano' has much different action than the one you play at home (in my case much heavier)

I am also wondering about how you cope with having your lesson be x minutes long when it usually takes you at home x/2 minutes just to warm up, meaning that when you first sit down and the teacher goes 'ok, show me how things are' you play quite horribly and do so at least for half the lesson or even more depending on the 'action' issue.

Being an 'adult beginner' with not really any lesson experience in my youth I am kind of wondering about the above...

"meaning that when you first sit down and the teacher goes 'ok, show me how things are' you play quite horribly and do so at least for half the lesson or even more depending on the 'action' issue."

haha you described a common problem.

Roland FP7F
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
My teacher lets me warm up a bit i I tell her I need to, and we always start with technical exercises (scales, arpeggios, Hanon, etc.) anyhow. I'm sure if you ask to your teacher will understand!!

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I found that changing my lessons from 30 mins to 60 mins has been a boon. It means that I can have a few minutes to settle in and there isn't the mad rush to cram everything into the allotted time.

F
F
Using a different piano from what you're used to is a very common concern for beginning players. You should gradually become accustomed to the change and adapt to it.

Maybe you should have more lesson time, but the problem you're experiencing is very common, and also something to be adapted to.

Most of us play our pieces much better at home than anywhere else, at least at the beginning stage. Teachers have some understanding of this.

B
B
Mine is the opposite problem. The teacher's piano keys have much lighter action than mine, resulting in heavy fingering for my first five minutes into a lesson. I have just told myself that it will be something I get used to over time.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by frida11
Using a different piano from what you're used to is a very common concern for beginning players. You should gradually become accustomed to the change and adapt to it.

It's not just beginning players that have this concern. I've been playing for almost 10 years and it still takes a while to get used to playing on another piano such as if I am at a party at a house which has a piano and invites me to play - I will accept their invitation because I like to play in front of other people.

That piano may have key action which is lighter or heavier, the music rest may be at a different height, the bench may be a different height, the sustain pedal may be more or less sensitive etc. I think that this is just part of the deal of being a pianist, your instrument is not portable so if you play outside your home you will be playing a different instrument.

B
B
I find I do much better in my lesson when I warm up at home right before going to the lesson.

1 hour lesson helps too.

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
T
T
This is one of my favorite topics! I complain about it all the time.
My piano is a little Baldwin spinet with light action. My teacher calls it "forgiving." His piano is a Steinway grand, totally different feel. There is also the issue of the music stand which is much higher on his piano, making it harder to look at the music and your hands simultaneously. And what drives me the most crazy is that I find his piano set-up does not have enough light.

The warm-up thing just makes me sad. I remember going to lessons as a little kid, just sitting down and playing whatever I was working on that week. Now I am guaranteed to flub up if I don't have a warm up first.

My teacher says that part of developing skill is being able to sit down at different pianos and play them regardless of the differences.

Over time, it has definitely gotten better. I always have to "relearn" how much pressure to use on his piano, but it takes less effort each time. I haven't quite solved the warm up issue yet, except to know that I should expect a few false starts at the beginning of the lesson. I've tried warming up at home first but it didn't really help me. Hang in there, it should get better,.

T
T
PS I have joked with my teacher on several occasions that I need to come and practice on his piano when he is not home. Honestly, I wish I could!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The best way to adjust to a new piano cold is to play with your ears, not your fingers. You know the kind of sound that you want to draw from it, so use that to guide you instead of the touch. Different cars might have gas pedals and steering wheels that are of varying size and stiffness, but you still have to follow the same paths on the road. For example - if you practice on a spinet but change to a concert grand, you will have to use much less pressure on the bass to balance the voices. Using your ears would let you intuitively do this, but relying on touch would not.

I love playing on my teacher's grand every week. It makes my playing sound so much better and it has a great action. However, what really throws me off is playing on a badly maintained and out of tune piano, especially when some of the notes make strange sounds. It drives me crazy when what comes out of my fingers doesn't match up with what's in my head.

T
T
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
. For example - if you practice on a spinet but change to a concert grand, you will have to use much less pressure on the bass to balance the voices. Using your ears would let you intuitively do this, but relying on touch would not.

I love playing on my teacher's grand every week.

I love playing on my teacher's piano too.

I find the opposite of above, though. I need to use more pressure in the bass range on his piano. It's hard to play quietly at first, I end up dropping some notes. My own piano is too loud overall and I tend to play lightly on it (I think part of that is the room it's in).

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Well, I've only just had my first lesson, but that leaves me excited to be able to respond to questions about "my teacher."

My teacher's grand has a significantly lighter touch than mine, but I found it pretty easy to adjust to. I suppose I didn't feel the dynamic control that I do on my own, but the difference would be fairly negligible.

It seems like it would be harder going the other way (from practicing on light touch to playing on heavy). So, perhaps a practice piano with a heavier touch is not a bad idea (for my taste, anyway).

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yup, this is a common challenge. My teacher has a wonderful Steinway B grand. I have a Baldwin L grand. In some ways I like her action better, in some ways not. Her action seems more linear and easier to control from soft to very soft and overall it's action is physically smoother.

She also has a 30 year old Yamaha C3 grand that has had very heavy usage and is in need of major regulation work. At my first lesson I played it and it was an awful experience. I actually asked to switch to the brand new Yamaha T 121 upright she had at the time, which was wonderful to play.

This issue is all the more frustrating because my biggest weakness is dynamics, shading and voicing. I can get it right at home, and then play badly at my lesson.

I'm sure every teacher get's tired of hearing us say "but I played it so much better at home...."

T'sMom's teacher is right, getting better at piano includes being able to adjust to all the different instruments we will encounter.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My teacher's piano is a cool old Heintzman, with ivory keys that have a completely different feel from the keys on my Yamaha. & her bench is weird, too - higher & narrower than mine. I didn't notice it for the first few months, but as the material's gotten more challenging, I've really started noticing what a mess I tend to make of things on her piano. She's understanding, but she's recommended I look for opportunities to play on other pianos, so I'm not so dependant on my own.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
P
P
I think trying to find time to warmup before the lesson is a great idea. I have my lesson after work on Wednesday. I try to get home before heading to my teachers to get a few minutes of playing the pieces we are workign on and this definitely helps.

As far as differing action is concerned, at home I actually usually practice on a Roland FP-7 keyboard which has weighted keys and a beautiful tone. Although I have a piano, I find that the action is much heavier and it fatigues my forearms with extended practice so I only practice once in a while on the real deal and otherwise use my keyboard. Having volume control on the keyboard is a great thing especially when others in the house may not want to hear everything I have to play.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yup, this is a common challenge. My teacher has a wonderful Steinway B grand. I have a Baldwin L grand. In some ways I like her action better, in some ways not. Her action seems more linear and easier to control from soft to very soft and overall it's action is physically smoother.

She also has a 30 year old Yamaha C3 grand that has had very heavy usage and is in need of major regulation work. At my first lesson I played it and it was an awful experience. I actually asked to switch to the brand new Yamaha T 121 upright she had at the time, which was wonderful to play.

This issue is all the more frustrating because my biggest weakness is dynamics, shading and voicing. I can get it right at home, and then play badly at my lesson.

I'm sure every teacher get's tired of hearing us say "but I played it so much better at home...."

T'sMom's teacher is right, getting better at piano includes being able to adjust to all the different instruments we will encounter.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by T'sMom
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
. For example - if you practice on a spinet but change to a concert grand, you will have to use much less pressure on the bass to balance the voices. Using your ears would let you intuitively do this, but relying on touch would not.

I love playing on my teacher's grand every week.

I love playing on my teacher's piano too.

I find the opposite of above, though. I need to use more pressure in the bass range on his piano. It's hard to play quietly at first, I end up dropping some notes. My own piano is too loud overall and I tend to play lightly on it (I think part of that is the room it's in).

Your teacher probably has a studio grand and not a concert grand. 9' concert grands have booming basses which can be over emphasized if you're used to playing on a smaller piano. They sound great, especially in the right hall, but one needs to be careful that the bass doesn't overpower the treble.

H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by BeginnerVA
Mine is the opposite problem. The teacher's piano keys have much lighter action than mine, resulting in heavy fingering for my first five minutes into a lesson. I have just told myself that it will be something I get used to over time.

I have the same issue. My grand piano touch is somewhat heavier than the grand piano my teacher has. It can cause me to stumble, especially in the beginning of the lesson (not having "warmed up").

My solution is to practice just before my lesson for 1-3 hours on my Roland FP-5 digital piano, which has a touch somewhat lighter than my teacher's piano. I find it easier to go from lighter to heavier; others may find the reverse. I do think that there is benefit in playing different instruments, as long as the differences are in the instruments, not the maintenance.

As for stumbling in the beginning, I haven't completely solved that problem yet. However, I do try to have an extended session on my FP-5 right before my lesson, so that I have played within the last hour or two. I'm getting better at jumping in right from the beginning, but try to steer the first selection to something with which I'm quite familiar, or more mechanical (e.g., Hanon or scale).

Hop

Last edited by Hop; 04/14/10 12:40 PM.

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
M
MarcoM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
it would be nice if DP manufacturers included some sort of adjustable touch (from a mechanical perspective too) so people could be trying different touch weights to adapt to different pianos etc. from what I can see all digitals that have 'touch adjustment' have it only from a response curve perspective, not from a touch/action weight perspective at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission