2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
J
Originally Posted by EssBrace
He's just robustly singing the praises of the Avant Grand (which he has owned along with a Steinway Grand so you have to agree he is qualified to comment)...nothing particularly spiteful about that is there?

Steve

No, that is not all that Snazzy is doing. Re-read his posts, and it will be clear that every criticism against "someone" is a direct attack against dewster, or those that support dewster's position. It is pathetic behavior, if not a serious sign of mental derangement.

Snazzy - for your sake (and ours), please take your meds.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

https://vimeo.com/58278342
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jmmec
Originally Posted by EssBrace
He's just robustly singing the praises of the Avant Grand (which he has owned along with a Steinway Grand so you have to agree he is qualified to comment)...nothing particularly spiteful about that is there?

Steve

No, that is not all that Snazzy is doing. Re-read his posts, and it will be clear that every criticism against "someone" is a direct attack against dewster, or those that support dewster's position. It is pathetic behavior, if not a serious sign of mental derangement.

Snazzy - for your sake (and ours), please take your meds.

Me take drugs? Why? Just because you need them, Jane, doesn't mean we all do...you are such a nice person...why are you going down the wrong path? Oh Jane, why? Please, stay...stay and get better.

Stare at a few of Uncle Dewster's squiggly lined pictures...have your favorites framed. wink

Or, failing that, why not take another long walk off that short pier...perhaps take your pet fish for a stroll. grin

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
J
J
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
What's shameful, Jane, is you bringing someone into a conversation who is not here to defend herself.

That's very low...even for you.

Now, be a nice young lady, and take a long walk off a short pier...we'll even applaud....after the splash, of course. grin

Snazzy

My suspicion is that Snazzy and Colleen_500 are one and the same. This would be a very disturbing revelation if true. I also suspect it is against the PianoWorld rules to have more than one registered account.

If the forum software is tracking IP addresses, then a moderator could check the two messages below to see if they came from the same IP address. They were posted within a short timeframe of each other, so a dynamic IP address is unlikely to have been released and reassigned - I'll assume there is no IP spoofing going on:

From Colleen_500 on Feb 16 @ 11:33am:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...e%20DP%20BSD%20Project!.html#Post1375512

From Snazzy on Feb 16 @ 11:43am:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...e%20DP%20BSD%20Project!.html#Post1375521

I hope a moderator will investigate. If I'm wrong, then I will apologize.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Those that know me would tell you that I am not known for seeing the best in people; I'm cynical by nature. But I think your accusation is astounding...when I've seen your previous intimations about it I thought you were just joking. I don't believe it at all, just as I don't believe that Dewster or anyone else would do anything underhand ref the DPBSD (and I fully accept his testing has been very controversial). I mean we can all disagree without doubting another's integrity.

I suspect you will indeed have to make that apology.

Cheers,

Steve

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

My suspicion is that Snazzy and Colleen_500 are one and the same. This would be a very disturbing revelation if true.

Heh. Heh. They are certainly not one and the same. A novel idea, though!

Lawrence

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I can't help but chuckle, too, at the notion that Snazzy would need to create another poster persona to help him with debates on this board. After seeing all his posts, don't you guys think he's outspoken enough already to spar with anybody here 10 times over without needing any kind of disguise for help?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

Me take drugs? Why? Just because you need them, Jane, doesn't mean we all do...you are such a nice person...why are you going down the wrong path? Oh Jane, why? Please, stay...stay and get better.

Stare at a few of Uncle Dewster's squiggly lined pictures...have your favorites framed. wink

Or, failing that, why not take another long walk off that short pier...perhaps take your pet fish for a stroll. grin

Snazzy

I don't call this debating. From what I have seen here all Snazzy does is insult those who don't agree with him.

Pianist and piano teacher.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris H.

I don't call this debating. From what I have seen here all Snazzy does is insult those who don't agree with him.

You're just bitter because I don't agree with YOU....having me on your side would be a great feather in your cap, and would probably lead to much more boasting, and we can't have that here, among those of us who act like adults. grin

I would gladly agree with your statements on this forum if they were right....but they aren't, so I don't.

Snazzy

Originally Posted by ChrisA
Originally Posted by MarcoM
They did. That is what MIDI and Line-In are for.

does the avant grand transmit variable 'soft' pedal information over midi? or only on/off? can you have TRS availability while playing, say, pianoteq via MIDI/line-in.

I think "yes" in both cases. Most DPs that have continuous pedals do transmit the pedal position. And yes you could allow the TRS to run, it would be driven be the "old" factory samples. No need to disable the MIDI local control function.

Considering that the 'Soft' function on an acoustic piano must be either fully on or fully off for it to function correctly, I can't see why you would want an incremental soft pedal on a DP. If you want continous control for the volume on a DP, you get a volume pedal.

Adrian Thomas
Adrian Thomas Music Services
Service Engineer - Hybrid Pianos & Strings
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by athomik
They did. That is what MIDI and Line-In are for.

does the avant grand transmit variable 'soft' pedal information over midi? or only on/off? can you have TRS availability while playing, say, pianoteq via MIDI/line-in.

I think "yes" in both cases. Most DPs that have continuous pedals do transmit the pedal position. And yes you could allow the TRS to run, it would be driven be the "old" factory samples. No need to disable the MIDI local control function.

Considering that the 'Soft' function on an acoustic piano must be either fully on or fully off for it to function correctly, I can't see why you would want an incremental soft pedal on a DP. If you want continous control for the volume on a DP, you get a volume pedal.

confused

M
M

I've read pianists mention that with the soft pedal they can slightly engage it to cause the hammers to strike just outside the grooves for additional tonal variations, that is not an on/off kind of usage. Definitely above my skill level, so if any better pianist cares to chime in about this it'd be great...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

My suspicion is that Snazzy and Colleen_500 are one and the same. This would be a very disturbing revelation if true. I also suspect it is against the PianoWorld rules to have more than one registered account.

If the forum software is tracking IP addresses, then a moderator could check the two messages below to see if they came from the same IP address. They were posted within a short timeframe of each other, so a dynamic IP address is unlikely to have been released and reassigned - I'll assume there is no IP spoofing going on:

I hope a moderator will investigate. If I'm wrong, then I will apologize.

Well Jane, you owe me an apology.

I haven't heard back from Colleen yet, but I would say you owe her one as well, although I don't think she's too interested in coming back to this forum....time will tell.

Now, I hope this is the last either of us hear about this from you, or anyone else.

Accusations and allegations of the type presented by you are very serious, as it questions the integrity of myself, and of another person, who wasn't even here to defend herself.

I hope you have learned something from this...I know I sure have learned something about you, as have the rest of the members of this fine forum.

Snazzy

J
J
Where is the evidence proving that you and Colleen_500 are not one and the same? I stand by my suspicion until I see evidence to the contrary.

Both of you have demonstrated a warped passion to degrade and attack others. This forum is replete with evidence; although there is much more vitriol from the "snazzyplayer" account.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Where is the evidence proving that you and Colleen_500 are not one and the same? I stand by my suspicion until I see evidence to the contrary.

Both of you have demonstrated a warped passion to degrade and attack others. This forum is replete with evidence; although there is much more vitriol from the "snazzyplayer" account.

You know, Jane, my dear, I've already been contacted by the moderator, Ken Knapp, and you are in the wrong...and, if I were you, I would refrain from digging a deeper hole than you've dug for yourself already.

Now, own up to your mistake...you realize, accusations such as yours are very serious...so be careful what you say.

Snazzy

J
J
I have not been contacted.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll have him contact you...don't worry.

Snazzy

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V

I've read pianists mention that with the soft pedal they can slightly engage it to cause the hammers to strike just outside the grooves for additional tonal variations, that is not an on/off kind of usage. Definitely above my skill level, so if any better pianist cares to chime in about this it'd be great...

MarcoM, I remember having this discussion with an open-minded acoustic pianist in the Piano Forum. I'll quote his (or her?) statement below, but you can also check out the whole content of the discussion on this link if you'd like.

from terminaldegree:
"On a well-voiced grand, the una corda pedal shift can be used in gradations to great coloristic effect. I can move the hammers just slightly out of the "grooves", yet close enough to the more densely packed felt to take a bit of "edge" off the sound, or I can press the pedal down fully for a more diffuse sound-- even farther out of the packed grooves. "

So I think there's some merit to your suspicion there. While technically it might have been designed to be on or off (to either strike 3 strings or 2 strings), some people do take into account the fact that it can be manipulated somewhere in between and make use of this gray area as well, even though this use might not have been intended by design in the first place.

However, I think to incorporate something like this into a digital piano would be a bit of a challenge because its use model is not very clearly defined anyway, and the return on investment is probably not worth it, since the soft pedal is not as heavily used like the sustain pedal after all.

I also had another discussion with a different pianist who's also a PW poster, and this person just bought an N3, but already owns an acoustic grand and another DP (a Clavinova) before buying the N3. He told me he likes the N3's una corda a lot because he said it's just like how it is on his acoustic grand. He said on the Clavinova, the una corda just lowers the volume a bit but the timbre doesn't change, while on the N3 the volume is only lowered slightly (more real) and the timbre does change like it's supposed to. He never brought up the issue of the gray area in between so I don't know how he plays his una corda exactly, but maybe more as an on/off as intended.

M
M
Originally Posted by Volusiano
MarcoM, I remember having this discussion with an open-minded acoustic pianist in the Piano Forum.

that is where I remember reading about using partial soft pedal for coloristic effects, before then I always thought it'd be on/off as well smile I do think it would be quite easy to incorporate this into a modelled piano (where you'd just vary the hammer felt hardness slightly as a function of how much the soft pedal is engaged) but not nearly as easily on a sample set of course.

Still given that this would come at nearly no-cost (potentiometers are already there, just takes a little bit of software) it would seem like an easy 'future proofing' move on Yamaha's part for something like the Avant Grand...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok, here is the "official word".

I contacted snazzy due to a moderator report and have had conversation with him.

I am satisfied that he and Colleen are two different people.

Let's move on from this, OK? smile

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Volusiano
MarcoM, I remember having this discussion with an open-minded acoustic pianist in the Piano Forum.

that is where I remember reading about using partial soft pedal for coloristic effects, before then I always thought it'd be on/off as well smile I do think it would be quite easy to incorporate this into a modelled piano (where you'd just vary the hammer felt hardness slightly as a function of how much the soft pedal is engaged) but not nearly as easily on a sample set of course.

Still given that this would come at nearly no-cost (potentiometers are already there, just takes a little bit of software) it would seem like an easy 'future proofing' move on Yamaha's part for something like the Avant Grand...

I agree that this is probably can be implemented a lot more easily on a model technology than on a sample technology. I wouldn't be surprised if the AG incorporates model technology and/or a combination of both model and sample in the future.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission