2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

I was thinking of a BLANK canvas.... Just kidding... But who knows, maybe this has really already been done too. Nothing surprises me more these days.... smile

It was done long ago, in 1951, by Robert Rauschenberg. Rauschenberg's "White" paintings were a catalyst for Cage to write his famous piece.

Kyle Gann's new book on 4'33" came out just a couple of weeks ago, and it looks interesting.

Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
Minimalist painting has been done. This beauty cost my government 1.8 million. crazy

My government did the same thing about 30 years ago with this painting that cost $1 million dollars, and everyone thought they were crazy. The papers had a field day talking about the excess of the government and the national gallery. The painting in question was once called Blue Poles by a fellow named Jackson Pollock. As it turns out the piece is probably worth in excess of $60 million dollars, and it is a stunning piece, which I was fortunate enough to see again on the weekend. All in all, I think that your government could well have made a wise investment! smile

M

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
S
S
AND disgusting? Try anything by Ornette Coleman. He makes my colon clench. And then twice over because he has actually sold albums without bothering to compose a melody!

A
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Schuur
AND disgusting? Try anything by Ornette Coleman. He makes my colon clench. And then twice over because he has actually sold albums without bothering to compose a melody!

Now, now- tut tut! Coleman has been an extremely influential saxophonist, yet I'll be the first to admit that his music isn't for everyone. Sometimes I just don't 'get' where he's coming from, but if the time and mood are right... wow.

Jason
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

That's funny. And what does composing a melody have to do with anything, anyway?

I don't know much of Coleman's output, but a couple of videos of him on YouTube that I came across were so exciting and inspiring to me that I started thinking of trying to compose some music (classical, not jazz) that was directly influenced by what he and his band were doing.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
I don't know much of Coleman's output, but a couple of videos of him on YouTube that I came across were so exciting and inspiring to me that I started thinking of trying to compose some music (classical, not jazz) that was directly influenced by what he and his band were doing.

Oh, Ornette Coleman is fantastic. His album Song X (with Pat Metheny) was very influential to me.

One thing I've learned on this forum: someone saying "I really like X" is more useful, and carries more information, than someone saying "I really don't like X". It makes sense, because we usually know a lot more about what we like than what we don't like.

-Jason

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

Man if you don't like Ornette, try Cecil Taylor. I shudder to think how your ears will react to that!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Oz Marcus
My government did the same thing about 30 years ago with this painting that cost $1 million dollars, and everyone thought they were crazy. The papers had a field day talking about the excess of the government and the national gallery. The painting in question was once called Blue Poles by a fellow named Jackson Pollock. As it turns out the piece is probably worth in excess of $60 million dollars, and it is a stunning piece, which I was fortunate enough to see again on the weekend. All in all, I think that your government could well have made a wise investment! smile

M

I googled that painting and it looks considerably more complicated than a huge red stripe. Well, maybe some artists can enlighten me. But IMO the only reason why our red stripe would ever appreciate would be the notoriety that it got from the amount of money we spent on it. There's even a book published about it.

The equivalent in musical terms would be charging everyone full price tickets to hear Murray Perahia, and then he sits down and plays 4'33" and leaves. No encore. Sure, it's a famous artist and all...but it's still just a red stripe. laugh

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles

The equivalent in musical terms would be charging everyone full price tickets to hear Murray Perahia, and then he sits down and plays 4'33" and leaves. No encore. Sure, it's a famous artist and all...but it's still just a red stripe. laugh

Fortunately, that will never happen and not just because it's a bit far-fetched, but because Perahia doesn't/won't play anything much more "contemporary" than Bartok.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stores

Fortunately, that will never happen and not just because it's a bit far-fetched, but because Perahia doesn't/won't play anything much more "contemporary" than Bartok.

I have met Mr. Perahia (he looks quite different than his album covers- he could use a bit of a fashion make-over) and he struck me as a very humble, honest man. He simply plays music which he finds most congenial and conducive to his immense talent. (A CD some years back of Franck and Liszt suggested that he was experimenting. It wasn't a great CD, IMO.)

Fortunately there are pianists who are more adventurous, and we are all the more richer for that.

Do you remember when some contemporary composer (and I think she was female!) got all bent out of shape when Horowitz had the nerve to programme a Clementi sonata? She wondered why Horowitz was ignoring the music of the present, something along those lines. Horowitz most likely ignored the assault. He knew what he could 'rewrite' best! laugh

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by stores

I have met Mr. Perahia (he looks quite different than his album covers- he could use a bit of a fashion make-over) and he struck me as a very humble, honest man. He simply plays music which he finds most congenial and conducive to his immense talent. (A CD some years back of Franck and Liszt suggested that he was experimenting. It wasn't a great CD, IMO.)

Fortunately there are pianists who are more adventurous, and we are all the more richer for that.

Do you remember when some contemporary composer (and I think she was female!) got all bent out of shape when Horowitz had the nerve to programme a Clementi sonata? She wondered why Horowitz was ignoring the music of the present, something along those lines. Horowitz most likely ignored the assault. He knew what he could 'rewrite' best! laugh

Yeah, I've met him (twice) and played for him as well. It was one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had. I had no way of telling if he was honest, or humble, but he's long been one of my very favorite pianists. I have that CD, by the way and I love it (especially his Mephisto).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission