2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Ohh awesome! ... I didn't know the piano teachers festival was going to be on this year, since they called it off years before. (I know a friend who attends this religously so I'll let her know about it). Have fun!

A
OP Offline
A
I've found AMEB's Music Craft teaches harmony in a manner more similar to that which I experienced at university. I had to relearn everything I did in Theory of Music exams once I got to uni.

This student though is already part-way through the course work for 5th Grade AMEB ToM. It'd be pointless to change her to a different syllabus now. But it's good to have other ideas for other students in future.

Amos

Facilitator of learning
Lover of pianos and singing
Wannabe singer/songwriter
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
And further on the Blitz Books - I don't think any university music student would struggle with writing harmony if they were using Samantha's books :-)

I'm constantly amazed at how poor the pedagogy is in modern collegiate level theory textbooks. I'm also consistently amazed at how bad college theory teaching is, and how poorly the students do.

Counterpoint, functional harmony, and form/analysis are EASY if taught well. When I taught at the college level, I used to brag about how I could explain augmented sixth chords to anybody in 20 minutes. I'd have students show up at my office having scraped by with Cs year after year. After 20 minutes, they'd leave my office saying "um...why the **** don't they just explain it like that in the first place?"

There are only two things that make theory difficult: 1) Bad Teaching 2) Extreme Laziness.

In my experience, #1 is far more common.

Please do tell us your 6+ explanation. I'm interested!

I teach both piano and basic theory. My students learn theory in the course of their exercises and pieces. I teach them scales, and it goes from there: scales lead to modes, arpeggios lead to chords, chord progressions lead to sequences and so on so forth. I usually don't teach voice leading because my counterpoint is short of terrible and I'm not comfortable teaching something I'm pretty bad at.

I had a fairly advanced 9-year-old and she had no problem grasping the rudiments. We had only started applying them before I had to let her go (because of time constraints with my degree, not because of anything else). Try your student on theory. Start small. Point out parts of her pieces that are interesting. Insert talk of form into your lessons. You may be surprised.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minaku
Please do tell us your 6+ explanation. I'm interested!

I'll do this in D Major

An augmented 6th chord is a type of harmony that comes before a dominant chord. So...start with a dominant octave:

A

A

Next, write the notes that are a half step in, and be sure to change the letter names:

A -> G#

A -> Bb

This interval (Bb - G#) is the augmented 6th. Next, add tonic:

G#

D
Bb

Next, add one more note. Another tonic for Italian. Scale degree 2 for French. b3 for German:

G#
(D, E, or F)
D
Bb

And Bingo! There's your augmented sixth chord. To resolve the chord properly, just reverse the process. The G# goes up to A, the Bb goes down to A.

In an Italian sixth, one of the tonics goes to the 3rd of the V chord and the other goes to the 5th.

In a French sixth, the E becomes the 5th of the V chord, so the tonic goes to the 3rd.

If we resolved a German sixth the same way, we'd get this:

G# - A
F - E
D - C#
Bb - A

But that means creating parallel 5ths (F-E and Bb-A.) The solution is to leave the D and F alone, creating a i64 chord:

G# - A
F - F
D - D
Bb - A

This is why theory books tell you that German 6ths have to resolve to i64 chords.

And there you have it. A 10 minute explanation that tells you how to find the notes for and correctly resolve an augmented 6th chord with correct voice leading. laugh

I write each step out on staff paper (instead of just naming the notes like I did above.) The whole thing fits neatly on one piece of paper.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Kreisler - nice!!

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
Credit where credit is due, though. Got most of it from one of my professors in college - Skelton at Michigan.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Very neat, Kreisler.

And welcome back, Minaku! smile

Du holde Kunst...
P
P

I'll be presenting the first seminar in the Piano Teacher Festival at the con on April 17

I am going to that conference/festival.
Looking forward to the presentation & meeting other teachers.

BB

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by BBBB

I'll be presenting the first seminar in the Piano Teacher Festival at the con on April 17

I am going to that conference/festival.
Looking forward to the presentation & meeting other teachers.

BB
Please do come and say hello! I have not yet met a piano teacher is the whole country who participates in an online forum for piano teachers!! Or should I start the seminar by asking "BB, where are you?!" (don't worry, I won't do that!).....

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kreisler, thank you for the explanation. It really is simple and easy (comparatively speaking)!

Originally Posted by currawong
Very neat, Kreisler.

And welcome back, Minaku! smile

laugh Thanks, Currawong. Been a long time away!

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
A
OP Offline
A
I saw my prodigy for the first time today.

So apparently the parents' definition of "struggling" is not the same as my definition. She's not struggling at all with harmony. She has the Blitz Books. She understands the rules and applies them correctly. She just doesn't catch all of her consecutive 5ths & 8ves and has a bit of an issue with using chord ii. It's like teaching a 14-year-old without the hormones.

Amos

Facilitator of learning
Lover of pianos and singing
Wannabe singer/songwriter
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hilarious. And sounds like you'll actually have some fantastic lessons with her!!!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Amosquito
It's like teaching a 14-year-old without the hormones.
Now that sounds good! smile

Du holde Kunst...
P
P
Hi Elissa,

Please do come and say hello! I have not yet met a piano teacher is the whole country who participates in an online forum for piano teachers!! Or should I start the seminar by asking "BB, where are you?!" (don't worry, I won't do that!).....

I was there and waiting to say hello after the first session but we were called to go in, so I did not have the chance.
Your presentation was great, with lots of valid points for teaching young beginners in the repertoire selected.

Couple of other points: I had forgotten just how good a steinway D sounds ;-),
Yes, 8th Grade is the new Preliminary.

BB

Last edited by BBBB; 04/17/10 04:43 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hey there! I was wondering if I'd seen you but hadn't realised it was you! I'm so sorry... I'm so glad you enjoyed it - was the rest of the day fun? I would have loved to have stayed... but I need to get up to the Print Music Trade Fair for Alfreds first thing in the morning (with my 3 year-old in tow) so I've been a bit frantic with being ready for that (and the seminars I'm doing with Alfred's next week...). Have a great day tomorrow - I feel terrible that we didn't get to say hello....

And yes, didn't the Steinway sound nice!! I did enjoy playing those pieces on it....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission