2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 322 of 425 1 2 320 321 322 323 324 424 425
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FrChopinFan
Originally Posted by Elene

Remember the Wikipedia article on the Chopin from the fictional "Il Bethisad" universe? I'm still chuckling over the idea of Chopin living to be 94 and continuing to innovate to such a degree that nobody could figure out what he was doing anymore.

I haven't come across that - maybe I'm that far in the thread yet?

That's pretty recent - try checking four or five pages back.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The "Ill Bethisad" Chopin can be found here:
http://ib.frath.net/w/Chopin
I find this hilarious, despite a couple of parts I'd have done differently. Check out their other historical figures, too. (Their Nikola Tesla had a much easier time than ours, but their Oscar Wilde did not.) And their versions of Hillary Clinton. Don't know where they find the time to write this stuff... oh, they're not busy obsessing over their favorite composer....

I guess the Berceuse could be called abstract, more or less, and certainly experimental, but it's not at all atonal, not like the "modern," early 20th century stuff that can be difficult to listen to; if anything it's sort of hyper-tonal, since it hangs around the tonic chord so much of the time.

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I only caught the end of Performance Today just now. They put a terrific end to the Birthday Month with the most gloriously exuberant rendition I've ever heard of the Krakowiak from the E minor concerto, from the March 1 concert in Warsaw. Garrick Ohlsson and the Warsaw Philharmonic pulled out all the stops. Check it out on the PT website.

There are also more posts up on My Performance Today of Chopin recordings by listeners. For quite a while there were only two others besides mine... surprising, I thought.

I'm going to miss all the Chopin, Barber, and Bach. The shows stay up on the Web for a week after the broadcasts, though.

Elene

J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by Elene
I only caught the end of Performance Today just now. They put a terrific end to the Birthday Month with the most gloriously exuberant rendition I've ever heard of the Krakowiak from the E minor concerto, from the March 1 concert in Warsaw. Garrick Ohlsson and the Warsaw Philharmonic pulled out all the stops. Check it out on the PT website.

Thanks for this, Elene. I enjoyed listening to Ohlsson's performance again, and also (for the first time) to Blechacz on the first half of the PT program.

On this same first half, in the amusing "Piano Puzzler" segment, I was struck with the confidence with which both the host and the pianist asserted that the sense of "Minute" in the "Minute Waltz" was to do with size (my-NEWT) rather than time ("minute" = "60 seconds"). Though there's doubtless more to discover, my research so far suggests the title arose in a German-speaking land in the later 1870s: the title "Der Minuten-Walzer" appears around this time only in German, even when it is programmed in England. (And there is some puzzlement about which piece it applies to, which suggests to me that the title was relatively new around then.) And "Minuten" in German refers to the time concept; the size-concept would (I think) require "minuzioes" (that should be an umlaut over the "o").

So if we're going to use the title, the cartoons probably have it right: think "60 seconds" rather than "tiny".

Jeff Kallberg

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Clef

Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

Can't for the life of me figure out why there is a double space starting about half-way through, studied the code for about 2 hours, trying many ways to fix it.

I wondered that myself - I tried copying the info to my own document so I could save it and go back to it later. And I fixed my copy. It seems like I found an extra < b/ > character after the < /a > where it didn't belong, as well as the one at the end of the line where it should be - resulting in the extra space showing up after the invisible link code so it's not apparent what's causing it.

Wow, that was cryptic! Sorry about that-- to explain: I'm still back on page 66, and this is referring to the index loveschopintoomuch was working on.

Last edited by FrChopinFan; 03/31/10 07:25 PM.

"That nice good-natured Chopin played for us a while. What a charming genius!" Delacroix
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff K, why not write to Fred Child (the PT host) regarding the meaning of "minute"?

I think most, if not all, of us have probably thought that the word came from French. I don't know exactly where we got the idea that it meant minute in the sense of small, but it seems like that's been written someplace or other, more than once.

I refer to it as "the D flat waltz," "Opus 64 Number 1," or "the so-called Minute Waltz."

Elene

S
S
there are more peices i found quite "modern" for the time they written,
i whould say prelude no.18, prelude no. 22 and the op.35 sonata finale, are quite modern for their era...ofcourse there are more, i just listened to them today and had tell you what i think ;), ofcourse theres the devill trill prelude, which we had the luck that dr. j. kallberg researched on it, which is extremly modern to my ears....what do you think?

Last edited by shaulhadar; 04/01/10 06:10 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I was practicing 10/6, I often thought, "Good grief, this is only the early 1830s!"

I guess we can't even imagine what he's composing these days.

I was sad to see the Birthday Month coming to an end, but there's a consolation: Today is Rachmaninov's birthday. And I didn't see that coming either. And PT isn't doing a single piece of his today! But there are a couple of items of possible interest to us on the PT calendar:

April 1
1866 -- Italian pianist, composer, and teacher Ferruccio Busoni is born in Empoli.
1873 -- Russian piano virtuoso and composer Sergei Rachmaninoff is born on his family's estate near Oneg.
1902 -- Debussy's Prelude to The Afternoon of a Faun has its North American premiere in Boston, seven years after it was first heard in Paris.
1930 -- Ninety-two-year-old Cosima Wagner dies in Bayreuth, 47 years after her husband, Richard Wagner's death.
1952 -- Norwegian soprano Kirsten Flagstad makes her final performance at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
1954 -- Aaron Copland's opera The Tender Land has its premiere in New York City.
1976 -- President Ford awards pianist Artur Rubinstein the United States Medal of Freedom, the highest honor given a civilian.
1979 -- Percussionist Fred Child breaks his castanets during an improvised cadenza while performing Boccherini's "Fandango" Quintet, and finishes the piece by using a folding metal chair as an impromptu instrument.

Busoni is not someone I'm very familiar with, but just in the past week I heard his complex, extensive, heavily virtuosic variations on 28/20, which I didn't know existed. It's worth checking out.

Elene

As far as modern pieces go, the Trio for Violin, Cello and Piano (Opus 8) sounds modern to me . . . the date I have for it is 1828/29 but it sounds so different from everything else he wrote at that time.

"That nice good-natured Chopin played for us a while. What a charming genius!" Delacroix
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Lord, I had not idea Cosima was still around in 1930! She must've watched Hitler's rise with interest.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The folding chair was a nice touch, Elene. The show must go on!

April 1 is also notable for being the birthday of Rachael Maddow (commentator), Randy Orton (wrestler), Debbie Reynolds (actress), and William Harvey (scientist who discovered the circulation of the blood).

It is the date on which Scott Joplin (composer) and Martha Graham (choregrapher) passed from this world.

Clef

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A 1905 view of Chopin (be prepared to cringe a bit)

Chopin the Revolutionaire

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by -Frycek
A 1905 view of Chopin (be prepared to cringe a bit)

Chopin the Revolutionaire

"Chopin the Poet.
Yes, the Chopin of the Nocturnes, of the slower moving Preludes, of the C-sharp minor or A-flat major Etudes, of the Berceuse, is, after all, the real, the essential Chopin! And when his name is mentioned in our hearing, it is those works we remember first. The tramp of horsehoof and the clatter of arms, though frequent enough in his works, somehow recede from our memory to give precedence to his calmer, more resigned, more reconciled moods. And when our thoughts turn to his Valses and simpler Mazurkas, it seems as if a faint smile were stealing through his tears, a smile half bitter and half hopeful, like the smile of Heine."

I think of those particular pieces as being "the real, the essential Chopin." But I think I'm still not "getting" the Polish nationalism - I've heard that his Mazurkas and Polonaises express the core of being - and I've yet to spend much time with any of those yet, especially the Mazurkas. They're still undiscovered territory that I'm saving for . . . sometime.

I've seen Chopin and Heine compared before, as in, Chopin is to music what Heine is to poetry. It makes me want to read Heine.

J
J
Originally Posted by FrChopinFan
I think I'm still not "getting" the Polish nationalism - I've heard that his Mazurkas and Polonaises express the core of being - and I've yet to spend much time with any of those yet, especially the Mazurkas.

A well-known quote, but worth reminding:

If the autocratic, mighty monarch of the North [the Tsar] knew what a dangerous foe was threatening him in these utterly simple mazurka melodies, he would doubtless ban this music. The works of Chopin are cannons concealed amongst flowers. — Robert Schumann

J.A.S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
JAS, was not the Polonaise in any form banned at one point in time?

[Linked Image]
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi everyone
Here is today's FB post from Jack Gibbons who writes:

"For me this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed, the largo from Chopin's Sonata in B minor.

The audio is accompanied by a slide show of pictures of Chopin, and of George Sand’s chateau at Nohant where Chopin began writing the Sonata... in the summer of 1844."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRf2IbSK7A

J
J
Originally Posted by -Frycek
JAS, was not the Polonaise in any form banned at one point in time?

I've never heard of it.

In 19th century, polonaise was an established international salon dance, danced also at the Tsar court. It was also present in works by composers of many countries, including Russia (Tchaikovsky). So I think such a ban would not be sufficiently specific.

OTOH, the Russian authorities were known for their stupidity. At one time the Botanical Garden in Warsaw was visited by a high-rank official who demanded all plants to be replanted in the order of their height. Fortunately, he left Warsaw soon afterwards and the gardeners managed to restore the proper planting locations before much harm had been done.

So I don't exclude that one overzealous bureaucrat might have issued such ban.

J.A.S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by J.A.S

OTOH, the Russian authorities were known for their stupidity. At one time the Botanical Garden in Warsaw was visited by a high-rank official who demanded all plants to be replanted in the order of their height. Fortunately, he left Warsaw soon afterwards and the gardeners managed to restore the proper planting locations before much harm had been done.

I think I work for this guy. shocked

Re Polonaise - I must've been thinking about WWII.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch

I picture Dorothy in my favorite movie, sitting on that fence, with the loveliest and purest voice, singing that beautiful and wistful melody. It is one of the greatest scenes in all of filmdom. Chopin may have found her rendition quite lovely, and he may have forgiven us for taking such liberties. After all, he did love the human voice, and hers was at its zenith then. And the words....well, they could have easily melted his heart...."...and wake up where the clouds are far behind me..."

Somewhere Over the Rainbow is a Chopin tune??

Last edited by FrChopinFan; 04/02/10 04:50 PM.

Page 322 of 425 1 2 320 321 322 323 324 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission