Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
133 registered members (ando, 90125, Animisha, Alex C, Amedeus, accordeur, amad23, akc42, anotherscott, 28 invisible), 1,346 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Viscount Classico DPs? Are they good? Any type of info? #1407214
03/30/10 02:24 PM
03/30/10 02:24 PM
Michigan
T
Thelonius One Offline OP
Thelonius One  Offline OP
T

Michigan
I've been trying to find a decent used DP for a cheaper price, and came across an ad that someone is selling a Viscount Classico SV-70. I've never heard of the brand at all, and I couldn't find enough topics in the pianoworld search engine, nor google for that matter, to make anything of their quality. I know they're originally made in Italy, some people like them a lot, and I found a site that stated this particular DP was first made in 1996. Does anyone know any definitive info on Viscount pianos?

The person is selling this for $400, which I know is too high, and may be able to talk them down to $300, which I also think is too high. But, as I've been searching for a better DP than I have now, I've come to realize that people/stores/etc. greatly overvalue used DPs, and I'm just gonna have to accept that I will pay more than what I should.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Viscount Classico DPs? Are they good? Any type of info? [Re: Thelonius One] #1407244
03/30/10 02:55 PM
03/30/10 02:55 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline
Nguyen  Offline
N

Massachusetts
I used to own the Viscount Classico 50. I guess it's a simpler version than the one you're looking at. It's full 88-key graded hammer, though a lot lighter than a Yamaha, Kawai or Roland graded hammers. In my opinion, it's good for beginners up to about a year. Once you advance into early intermediate, expressiveness will hinder, e.g. staccato, p, mp, mf, f isn't quite right.

Maybe the one you're looking at is much better since it has that SV-70 model number? Try to get it down to $200 to get you through the 1st year? Again, I'm not familiar with their prices. It was given to me by a family friend and now I only speak as a former owner. So I don't want to do injustice to your current seller. I guess just do your best but keep in mind, if you continue, you will have to replace it sometime down the road.

I gave mine to my 7 yrs old niece, who just started lessons this week. If I am to sell it, I think I'd feel guilty asking for more than $200.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Viscount Classico DPs? Are they good? Any type of info? [Re: Thelonius One] #1407249
03/30/10 03:05 PM
03/30/10 03:05 PM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California
Why pay $300 or $400 for a 14 year old DP when Casio has a new PX130 and Korg has the SP170 both for $499?

Even 10 years is getting very old. Technology moves forward and today's $500 DPs have features not available in the 1990's. Things like multi-layered samples and damper resonance. Not to mention availability of parts and repair and a warranty.

Think about re-sale value the new $500 Dp will have a resale value of at least $200 in three or so years so you cost of ownership will be about the same.

Yes sellers over value their pianos. Wait 30 days if he still has it offer $100. the asking price is way to high

Last edited by ChrisA; 03/30/10 03:07 PM.
Re: Viscount Classico DPs? Are they good? Any type of info? [Re: ChrisA] #1407338
03/30/10 05:06 PM
03/30/10 05:06 PM
Michigan
T
Thelonius One Offline OP
T

Michigan
Yeah, I definitely hear you. I struggle with it back and forth. I had a string a bad luck with cars and shady sellers recently and lost some money, and have tried to find something under $350, but maybe I'm being a bit too rigid with that logic. I guess I also thought even though it'd be older, I could get a better durable brand (Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc.) than say the Privias.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards & Synthesizers
Re: Viscount Classico DPs? Are they good? Any type of info? [Re: Thelonius One] #1408550
04/01/10 11:16 AM
04/01/10 11:16 AM
Cape Cod
pianoxcape Offline
pianoxcape  Offline

Cape Cod
Here's some info that I hope will help with others that are reviewing used Viscount digital pianos. Viscount is a very reputable company - one of the Global 200 largest instrument manufacturers. It was founded in 1890 and currently has factories in San Marino (Italy) and Mondaino (Italy) as well as an R&D facility in Ancona (Italy). The Viscount SV-70 was produced in the mid 1990's but it was made in Italy and parts are still available in the US through Viscount Tech Services in Wisconsin (715.231.4096). There are no 'published' prices/values for used digital pianos, so it's often difficult to say whether a certain model is "worth the money". I guess Economics 101 - it's worth what someone is willing to pay smile

I will say from almost 20-years personal experience that the Viscount digital pianos are well-built pianos. These employ primarily wood cabinets (solid wood feet, wood rims on grands, hard-wood veneers, etc....) so I think they stand up well over time as pieces of furniture. In addition Viscount digital piano models all used Fatar (Italy) key actions - which historically have been very reliable. Certainly, technology changes, and older models become 'outdated' when compared to more recent innovations.

Hope this info is helpful...

Kind regards,

- Gary

- Gary Girouard
Consultant for Viscount ("Physis" Physical-model piano; http://www.physispiano.com)
Pianist/Composer of "The Naked Piano" series (Free Music Samples http://www.garygirouardmusic.com)
Teacher, Entrepreneur...Parent
Re: Viscount Classico DPs? Are they good? Any type of info? [Re: pianoxcape] #1409103
04/01/10 11:42 PM
04/01/10 11:42 PM
Michigan
T
Thelonius One Offline OP
T

Michigan
Cool! Very, very helpful. Thanks.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fazioli Changes Over the Years
by Sleepingtiger. 01/22/19 11:07 AM
p515/clp685 vs cp88
by Jitin. 01/22/19 10:16 AM
Twinkle or Moonlight?
by MrsD. 01/22/19 04:16 AM
My LTCL Repetiore
by Jaguarinoff. 01/22/19 03:31 AM
Hailun & Room Size
by Katie-eights. 01/21/19 09:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,725
Posts2,784,650
Members92,193
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission