Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
117 registered members (anotherscott, anamnesis, Amedeus, bennevis, AnnInMiami, AlphaBravoCharlie, apianostudent, AaronSF, 20 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice on Piano Purchase #1406751
03/29/10 11:30 PM
03/29/10 11:30 PM
O
oneleghorse Offline OP
oneleghorse  Offline OP
O

We have been seriously shopping for a new piano for our 3 girls. Started off by looking at Yamaha U1 and U3's,both new and used, but during our journey our 9-year old and I fell in love with a 1979 Mason & Hamlin Model A. We had never heard of them until that day. No one in our family is an expert, but something about the piano was so captivating. I started the search for Mason and Hamlins and found a used '91 in another reputable piano store, and lastly a '66 in a home. All 3 were priced around $15K. However going into unknown territory with used pianos, we chickened out and then started going back to new Yamahas, this time focusing on medium grands. But after upping our budget to around $15K, we found that the choices were limited at least in terms of a new Yamaha grand. We tested the GC2 and the C1, but I personally did not like the GC2 at all and the C1 was too small at 5'3". The salesperson said that he would never consider the C2 if you can get something almost as good for a few thousand less with the GC2, but perhaps it was because he didn't have a C2 in his showroom? Next, we stopped by a Kawai dealer across the street and looked at some of their uprights (K3 & K5) , RX-2 Classic and the Rx-2 Blak. The salesperson was very patient, professional and informative, unlike the Yamaha dealer across the street who was cocky and extremely pushy and full of it--I just wanted to get the h*ll out of there. So...Kawai RX-2, used Mason & Hamlin or a Yamaha C2? What would be a fair price on the Kawais and Yamahas and would a used M&H be better for around the same investment? Also, does anyone have any info on offers they've gotten recently on these models in the SoCal area? Thanks!

Carl

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: oneleghorse] #1406781
03/30/10 12:41 AM
03/30/10 12:41 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Surrey, B.C.
Carl:

Both Mason Hamlins and Kawais are great pianos, so they would definitely be good choices.

By same token, there are a number of other pianos offering astounding values out there, 15k actually buys a lot of piano [grand..] these days.

Perhaps look around a but more and tell us how your shopping trip is coming.

wishing you the very best,

Norbert smile

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: Norbert] #1407312
03/30/10 05:19 PM
03/30/10 05:19 PM
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Marty Flinn  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

A new Yamaha C2 or the new Kawai RX-2 are terrific pianos and somewhat the industry standards. Each has its design features and different touch and tone properties. They are similarly priced as a rule. Quality is excellent. Cannot make a bad decision on either. Get the one that sounds best to your ear, you will be listening to a lot of practice with the three girls.

The Mason & Hamlin is a very broad based sound. Somewhat dark and woody. Temendous power and a roaring bass. Again, the touch and tone will be significantly different from either the Yamaha or Kawai. Not better or worse, just very different. In the pantheon of domestic American pianos, M&H has rivaled for top position with Steinway & Sons for decades. It is nearly the only other brand that carries the intrinsic value that withstands the economics of rebuilding down the road. Faced with the choice of 1966, 1979, or 1991, the newer the better IMHO. I thrill to the tone of a good M&H. That would be my choice.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: Marty Flinn] #1407393
03/30/10 07:21 PM
03/30/10 07:21 PM
Whittier, Calif
Roxy Offline
Roxy  Offline

Whittier, Calif
The Mason and Hamlin pianos are wonderful to listen to and play, you couldn't go wrong with a good Mason and Hamlin it would satisfy everyone in your family.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: Roxy] #1407410
03/30/10 07:45 PM
03/30/10 07:45 PM
California
B
Biff Baxter Offline
Biff Baxter  Offline
B

California
Just my opinion but...

Yamaha - High quality craftsmanship, low quality sound like a mother in-law complaining.

Kawai - High quality craftsmanship, good sound, maybe even very good sound. A good instrument.

Mason & Hamlin - It makes you feel good every time you play it, like music to your ears.

Biff

Bloviator of Platitudes
Casio CDP-100
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: Biff Baxter] #1407421
03/30/10 08:14 PM
03/30/10 08:14 PM
California
B
Biff Baxter Offline
Biff Baxter  Offline
B

California
To clarify a bit, I was giving my opinion on these brands only in terms of their uprights, not grands.

Biff

Bloviator of Platitudes
Casio CDP-100
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: Biff Baxter] #1407428
03/30/10 08:44 PM
03/30/10 08:44 PM
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Marty Flinn  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

One man's gross is another's groovy, but common Biff. New Yamaha compared to a mother-in-law's complaining? An awful lot of musicians earn their living and do recording on Yamaha pianos and love them.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: Marty Flinn] #1408030
03/31/10 06:00 PM
03/31/10 06:00 PM
O
oneleghorse Offline OP
oneleghorse  Offline OP
O

Biff-

Although I am no expert and neither are our kids, but we felt that way about some Yamaha uprights as well as smaller GB models we tried out. One U3 we tested was definitely out of tune and sounded plain awful. It was even obvious to me and that's saying a lot. We were surprised that such a popular piano would be neglected. This was at a couple of showrooms we visited. Surprisingly, a new U1 sounded deeper than a Yamaha baby Gc2 (IMHO) for what it's worth. Our daughter said the Yamahas sounded "electronic," but she said less so with the med-large grand sizes.

Now I understand by what people mean by Yamahas being bright--not quite akin to a mother-in-law's voice, but just not my cup of tea. Oddly enough, though how a U1 seemed to sound pretty good. We looked at a 20 year old U1 and to me it sounded almost like a toy piano, very weak. Do Yamahas get worse with age? Are they prepped differently from store to store? Maybe a another forum topic?

Thanks to everyone for your input.
We're still deciding.

Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: oneleghorse] #1408056
03/31/10 06:47 PM
03/31/10 06:47 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
Condition, condition, condition. Give a piano a good life and it will thank you every time you play it. It's not the piano's fault if it was neglected/abused.

Most Mercedes are garage kept which makes them seem even more wonderful, but when you see one that is not, do you blame Mercedes?

Of course, don't buy the one that doesn't sound good. Most customers have only a few impressions of a brand. Keep that in mind so that your experiences don't lead to broad assumptions. 20 year old Yamaha U1 This is a piano we sold a while ago and I think it sounds pretty good. Some used pianos are good and some are not-so-good. Again, it is all about condition.

That said, since only a few left a good impression on you, don't beat your head against a wall. Yamaha may not be the brand for you. This would be a problem if there weren't 50 other brands smile.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Advice on Piano Purchase [Re: PianoWorksATL] #1408138
03/31/10 09:13 PM
03/31/10 09:13 PM
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Marty Flinn  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Pianos do not last forever.
Pianos do not improve with age.

20 year old U1s are not the same as new ones in materials, design, and construction. Products evolve.

Some dealerships pride themselves on new piano preparation. Others slide by with a quick and dirty tuning out of the box.

No dealership will ever have all the pianos in perfect tune all the time. Sold instruments get first priority, next comes new arrivals, then comes hit parade items that turn over quickly, etc. Snap changes in the weather mess with everything and often we find not a single instrument in the store at its best. It's a constant struggle.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Headphones - Amp - Focals - Grados
by Bruce In Philly. 10/23/18 02:42 PM
Mass-Produced Steinway Rebuilds - opinions pls
by precise. 10/23/18 02:17 PM
Kawai ES110 dissasembly
by RodrigoPon. 10/23/18 10:48 AM
Young Chang still providing action brackets??
by Rich Galassini. 10/23/18 10:21 AM
Piano environment monitoring
by Chris Snyder. 10/23/18 09:57 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,955
Posts2,755,040
Members91,318
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission