2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
?
?
i'm gonna save this in my post history for future reference.

thumb

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Egel
Thanks everybody.

Quite a few links to look at.

For those who find ragtime hard, I too have struggled with most of it too. I have had success only through perseverance due to my love for this kind of music. It is not easy, but there again neither is playing the piano in general, otherwise everybody could do it.

I find that listening to a midi of the song before attempting it helps. I then break it down into small parts and persevere until it comes together.

I have only been playing again for about 12mths after a 30 yr break and I am guessing it will take me another 30 yrs to master.

Hopefully you will get there quicker than that. I was taught to work on the left hand first before trying to learn the right hand and that makes sense because the left hand holds the key to playing at a steady tempo.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm excited with this rag, things are working so far, it is so difficult to me, I'm spending all me avaiable playing time to study this piece for a week by now! The octaves, the 5th finger "landing" on the black keys... I'm almost done with the first part (the first repetition), but now that I'm learning the second one I can see I'm still far away...

Cebukid, there are so many nice rags that are not from Joplin, find in youtube a guy called BachScholar, he recorded a lot of nice rags from other composers.

Check it out (Egel too, and all fans of ragtime):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-u3nja4OGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3Sc8CEacM

cheers

Originally Posted by CebuKid
Originally Posted by al-mahed
Hi Egel, I'm learning Scott Joplin's Swipesy. It's a very simple rag, but with a "cute" melody.

You should try it.

cheers

al-mahed, that's great! I'm glad you decided to take this one on. smile I'm looking forward to your performance.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm excited with this rag, things are working so far, it is so difficult to me, I'm spending all me avaiable playing time to study this piece for a week by now! The octaves, the 5th finger "landing" on the black keys... I'm almost done with the first part (the first repetition), but now that I'm learning the second one I can see I'm still far away...

Cebukid, there are so many nice rags that are not from Joplin, find in youtube a guy called BachScholar, he recorded a lot of nice rags from other composers.

Check it out (Egel too, and all fans of ragtime):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-u3nja4OGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3Sc8CEacM

cheers

Hi Egel, I'm learning Scott Joplin's Swipesy. It's a very simple rag, but with a "cute" melody.

You should try it.

cheers

al-mahed, that's great! I'm glad you decided to take this one on. smile I'm looking forward to your performance.

al-mahed, yes I'm familiar with the works of James Lamb and other ragtime composers. I haven't been playing (as a grownup) too long, so I haven't had a chance to tackle others' works yet, although I enjoy listening to other rags very much!

..and yes, I'm familiar with B-Scholar's playing. He's a very good, classically trained player of ragtime.

Also, I've started Maple Leaf Rag! It'll be my fourth Joplin piece. I don't find the first strain difficult at all actually. smile I'm just dabbling with it for now, because I'll be taking on Chopin Op. 9/2 pretty soon.

Good luck with Swipsey. You'll find that each Joplin piece is a different learning experience, and once you've played one, you won't be afraid to take on others.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Swipesy is a great rag and it's one of the 8 or so rags that I play. The parts which were hardest for me to learn were the last four measures of the third section and to a lesser extent measures 7 and 8 of the first section.

The first measure of the second section requires threading your fingers between the black keys to hit white keys. My fingers can squeeze through on my piano but if I play it on other pianos I sometimes find my fingers have a hard time fitting between two black keys.

Maple Leaf rag is a tough one, I work on it from time to time as a background project but I still have a long way to go till it sounds good.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
In Oct. 2009 we had a wonderful Piano Forums Piano Party on Cape Cod. 5 houses, 5 pianos, over 3 days.

One of our new guests was Sue Keller, a well known and respected ragtime pianist and entertainer.

You can view some pictures of the party here...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1221179/5.html

The next page has a list of MP3 recordings compiled by Sue's husband while we all took turns playing the pianos.

Pretty much anything that says Sue Keller will be ragtime, and very well done.

I enjoy ragtime myself, but I'm pretty much limited to Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Chris, this is exactly how I feel. The 7-8 measures of the first section gave me more trouble, but the most difficult part until now is the second section because of what you already said and specialy because measures 5 and 6, have to fly the hand and land the 5th finger at F# at measure 5 and do the octaves.

Oh, the 15th and 16th measures of the first section are giving me a hard time too.

The thing is difficult, and I hope the other section go more easly smile

cheers

Originally Posted by Chris G
Swipesy is a great rag and it's one of the 8 or so rags that I play. The parts which were hardest for me to learn were the last four measures of the third section and to a lesser extent measures 7 and 8 of the first section.

The first measure of the second section requires threading your fingers between the black keys to hit white keys. My fingers can squeeze through on my piano but if I play it on other pianos I sometimes find my fingers have a hard time fitting between two black keys.

Maple Leaf rag is a tough one, I work on it from time to time as a background project but I still have a long way to go till it sounds good.

Last edited by al-mahed; 03/31/10 09:52 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cheers Frank, thank you for let us know about it!

Originally Posted by Piano World
In Oct. 2009 we had a wonderful Piano Forums Piano Party on Cape Cod. 5 houses, 5 pianos, over 3 days.

One of our new guests was Sue Keller, a well known and respected ragtime pianist and entertainer.

You can view some pictures of the party here...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1221179/5.html

The next page has a list of MP3 recordings compiled by Sue's husband while we all took turns playing the pianos.

Pretty much anything that says Sue Keller will be ragtime, and very well done.

I enjoy ragtime myself, but I'm pretty much limited to Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

K
K
I'm a huge Joplin fan. I've tried to listen to other of Joplin's contemporaries, but they dont compare to Joplin. William Bolcom composed a few really good ragtime pieces also.

Playing ragtime is a whole different story though.

S
S
Originally Posted by Egel

Just curious if anybody else has this adiction and struggling through trying to learn piano via this path.

Would also be interested if anybody has favourite websites with sheet music.

As to the first question. Since easy ragtime is difficult to find. I would work on things like Strauss waltzes and polkas since you can find easier versions of those and the playing style is kind of similar.

I also love ragtime and that is how i worked my way up to it.

My main issue with ragtime is joplin is actually not my favorite even though his music got me into it.

Because of this my favorite site for rags is at the university of colorado.

http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/sheetmusic.pl?Rag&titlepages&1

this collection is extremely large but it is all in the public domain which means that the collection ends at 1914 (so many years before they posted it all) and the pieces that would have had their copyrights renewed because they are popular (most of Joplin's stuff) will not be found there.

The other nice thing is that a lot of the less popular rags are easier so you can eventually work up to the really hard eubie blake and joplin stuff

Last edited by SpencerF; 04/01/10 02:21 AM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
SpencerF - thanks for the link!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SpencerF
Because of this my favorite site for rags is at the university of colorado.

http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/sheetmusic.pl?Rag&titlepages&1
Yeh, thanks for that. I'll have to play through some when I've the time.

S
S
Yeah you are welcome! just keep in mind that a lot of that stuff is pretty offensive. Gives you a real taste as to what the culture was actually like. No reason to censor history from sensible adults though.

But it is an amazing collection. I am working on printing every piece out. It's taking me a while...mostly just finding the time to download and save each picture takes forever.

Last edited by SpencerF; 04/01/10 03:04 AM.
I hope your library will be open to the public! I tend to turn my screen sideways and sightread from there. You can get through lots.

S
S
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I hope your library will be open to the public! I tend to turn my screen sideways and sightread from there. You can get through lots.

Wow that sounds...hard and awkward.

I also turn the image sideways!

S
S
lol, still it seems like it would be awkward to play from a computer screen. Maybe not though, i have never tried it. Though i don't think it's possible with an upright grand.

I use this reading through method on my DP or clavichord. Balancing a screen on an upright could have its difficulties.

What the heck, I'm not doing a lot, I'll start now. Suggestions?

Aggravation Rag is quite professional. I'm not sure you need so many Ab's in A minor. Surely G#'s make more sense?

Bit of a pain they're single images and not pdf's.

Last edited by keyboardklutz; 04/01/10 04:20 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

The "Trio" (3rd strain) is the toughest part. I want to take on this next after I finish the 1st strain.

Like you, Maple Leaf is my "side project." The notes are easy to learn but bringing it up to performance tempo is the tough part. This is one that sounds very nice around 96 BPM. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

The "Trio" (3rd strain) is the toughest part. I want to take on this next after I finish the 1st strain.

Like you, Maple Leaf is my "side project." The notes are easy to learn but bringing it up to performance tempo is the tough part. This is one that sounds very nice around 96 BPM. smile

Yes that third section is really hard. The other sections aren't so easy either, the first is the only one I can play at > 40bpm. I find Maple Leaf a lot harder to remember than other Joplin rags, it seems to be full of unusual harmonic movement.

The first two measures of the fourth section are my favorite of the whole song, they just seem to totally capture the genius of Scott Joplin.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission