2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
41 members (CyberGene, foxy.au, clothearednincompo, Boboulus, David Boyce, David B, DPAfficionado, 9 invisible), 448 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MIDI electric shock - normal?
#1405478 03/28/10 11:35 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I have a Kawai CA-61. The other day I connected the 'USB to Host' to my Windows PC and was able to communicate OK with Finale 2010. While fooling around I touched the USB plug at the back of the DP and I got an electric shock. Not too strong but enough to feel it - not my imagination. I've used very many USB devices over the years and never felt something like this. In all other aspects the DP is fabulous.
I immediately turned off the PC and DP and unplugged the cable. I'm not planning on using the DP as a midi controller. I have just ordered an M-Audio Oxygen 61 for that purpose.

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: MIDI electric shock - normal?
JGonzalezGUS #1405554 03/28/10 01:06 PM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I wonder if it might just have been from static electricity discharge when you touch the grounded part of the DP, instead of an actual shock caused by anything high voltage from the USB port, because there's no high voltage output from USB as far as I know.

Volusiano #1405565 03/28/10 01:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a Kawai CP136. This doesnt have protection earth. It has a protection isolated transformer inside. Protection isolation means, there are very thick isolated layers between the power windings and between the internal low-voltage windings.

With such a device there is no possibilty to get a schock, when there is nothing dangerously damaged. Possible Damages can be: Maybe a wire inside got squeezed and got contact with other metal parts. (Just for example) However it must be said, that all wires that have dangerous voltages are double isolated and separated from the other wires. Also the are very short they go directly to the mains switch and to the transformer. All other parts of the piano have no dangerous voltages, especially all outside connectors including USB are low-voltage and secure.

I had my CP136 open and looked inside and I can say this has absolute reliable, fine and solid build quality. So I dont believe, that something is defective.

But to be sure consult a qualified person to check it, maybe measure the insulation or check the connections inside.

BTW, if you where connected to another device or maybe the USB cable was connected to a computer or maybe you where statically charged, I would look for the problem there first. Especially computer power supplies are quite often of poor build quality.

Remark: I am professionaly qualified, therfore I know this.
However, each country might have other power supplys and other voltages. Each country might have other standard procedures which are obligatory to check security. There is special equipment to check isolation and any device is build in a way that it will survive this check, if not defective, and so every qualified person in your country can check it.

Peter

Last edited by hpeterh; 03/28/10 02:10 PM.

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

hpeterh #1405767 03/28/10 06:06 PM
W
W
I'd have to say the thread title is both wrong and misleading, what is being discussed is USB electric shock and not MIDI electric shock. AFAIK based on my understanding of DIN midi ports and cables (opto isolated aren't they?), electrical shock on a DIN MIDI cable would be extremely rare and require that something be broken and far out of spec.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
wildpaws #1405781 03/28/10 06:28 PM
J
OP Offline
J
You are very right, Clyde. I had not thought about it that way. Sorry.
Thanks Volusiano and Peter for your replies. It may have been caused by static electricity - don't know for sure and I am not inclined to further testing smile
The room is carpeted, I was shuttling the 12' back and forth between the DP and the PC and because the carpet is brand-new I was bare-footed...

Jose
Kawai K5 - Kawai CA61
JGonzalezGUS #1405892 03/28/10 10:06 PM
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
If you are getting that kind of static around your gear. Then you might want to treat the carpet. Static can destroy electronics. I think there is some stuff you can spray or work into the carpet

It had to be static, there is only 5V DC inside the USB cable and even then it us protected by a grounded shield. The shock you got was almost certainly from you to the USB grounded shield.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
K. Kawai piano. Best tuning,
by Maximillyan - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,122
Posts3,028,368
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission