2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jim360 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm considering buying a this piano, which is 2-3 years old and in excellent condition. What would you pay for an instrument like this? Thanks.

N
N
I was quoted $2,700 for a brand new CLP-270 Dark Rosewood last Fall, around October I think. A 2-3 year used CLP-280, in excellent condition, I suppose it’s like new as well, perhaps $2,000 is fair?

But then many here will argue, in the $2k price range, you can get a really nice, state of the art Stage/Portable DP. If you prefer Cabinet style, I think around 2k is reasonable for this one.

I’m not well versed in the used DP market. I only throw this out here because of my quote just to give you an idea. Hopefully others will chime in soon.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
E
E
I'd say 2000-2500 is fair, depending on the condition of the piano. For a reference point, I bought my CLP-270 at like-new condition 8 months ago for $2000, which was a good deal at the time.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Jim360
I'm considering buying a this piano, which is 2-3 years old and in excellent condition. What would you pay for an instrument like this? Thanks.

Never pay more than 2/3 the price the same model old for when new. You have no warranty and the new models really are better.

The other thing, after you determine the price (maybe by using the above 2/3 rule) look around and see what you can get in a new DP for that same price. Prices are going down and you just might find a new DP with better specs at the same or even lower price.

As said above, you pay a premium for the console's wood-colored stand. A top of the line, brand new stage piano can be had for the price of a used console. You just have to prioritize your needs. Which comes first, key action, sound, or looks?

Other than the 2/3 rule one other sanity check on the price when you buy out of warranty electronics. Ask your self if the price of the used item plus a typical repair is greater or less then the cost of a new warranty'd item. So when calculating the price of the used item, the safest thing is to assume it will need an out of pocket repair within a year. But then 1/3rd the new price should cover that.

Last edited by ChrisA; 03/25/10 05:46 PM.
C
C
Are you purchasing it used from a dealer??? If so I would offer around $1000. If you are purchasing from someone who bought it from a yamaha dealer they will want much more and rightfully so as they probably paid between 3-4 thousand.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by CSA4EVER
Are you purchasing it used from a dealer??? If so I would offer around $1000. If you are purchasing from someone who bought it from a yamaha dealer they will want much more and rightfully so as they probably paid between 3-4 thousand.

That's the problem. sellers think only in terms of what they paid years ago and not what the DP is worth today. Many ask unreasonable prices. "Unreasonable" means a price close to what a new DP with comparable specs sells for in the big chain music stores.

Buyers on the other hand shouldn't give a hoot what a used DP sold for when new. They only care what else they could get for the same price and will compare the used Dp to other new and used DPs of the same price. So if you are selling a used DP and want (say) $2K. Just make sure yours is the best $2K piano in the local area.

E
E

Um ,what? $1000? The CLP-280 is till better than the current CLP-370. Let me know where I can get the CLP-370 for $1000 from an authorized dealer. Obviously you should bargain but $1000 is downright comical. They'd laugh in your face.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Lovely piano to which I'd love to own myself!

Polished = $2000-$2500 depending on it's condition
Non-polished = $1500-$2000 again depending on it's condition

thumb
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is an excellent piano. You'd have to spend about $4000 to get a new one as good.

I'll have to agree with EdenResident ... $2000 or so for wood, a bit more for polished.

BTW, I someone will sell this for $1000, then I'll take 5 of them. smile

C
C
Rude Rude Rude.

I was afraid of yet another forum were people are so bored they just lay in wait to attack someones post. If the DP in question is at a dealer then $1000 would be a fair offer. Especially considering what the dealer made the poor fool for trading it in THINK they were getting for it. When all the dealer really did was not negotiate down too much from there %200 percent markup. Hey macmac, instead of spending 5 thousand on 5 CLP-280's just private message me and I'll tell you of an HONEST KAWAI Dealer(yes there is such a thing) where you can buy a new CA-93 for $3100. Then you would still have enough for 2 CLP-280's.LOL

C
C
ChrisA,

I agree, buyers shouldn't give a hoot what anyone paid for a DP when it was new...and CERTAINLY not what a dealer says is a "Good Deal". They should shop around and haggle as much as possible to get a good deal. Which is how I found a dealer willing to sell NEW CA-93's for $3100. PM me if you are a non believer.

C
C
EdenResident,

You say they(the "authorized dealer" would laugh in my face. I agree....because they are crooks!!!LOL Cheers!!!

P
P
ChrisA,

I agree, buyers shouldn't give a hoot what anyone paid for a DP when it was new...and CERTAINLY not what a dealer says is a "Good Deal". They should shop around and haggle as much as possible to get a good deal. Which is how I found a dealer willing to sell NEW CA-93's for $3100. PM me if you are a non believer.

A new CA-93 for $3100? I guess you can get a new CN-32 for $1200?

C
C
polygon, if you don't believe me PM me and I'll give you the number to the store and you can call and see for yourself. I've already ordered one and it's on it's way. NO JOKE. Tried to haggle with this exact model from two other stores and they won't budge below $4900...which isn't tooooo bad I guess, considering they are just now hitting north american showrooms.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by polygon

I don't doubt it. Few buyers today see a reason to pay a retailer $1,000 for delivering a factory sealed box. And that is what you are doing.

I was at GC a while back and the sale guy said he sold a DP for $40 over cost. Why? Because there is a line (literally) at the cash register and some $8/hr clerk can make $40 as fast as he can swipe credit cards.

There are two sales models. The guy selling for $4.900 buys the DP, sets it on as on the floor and waits for a buyer. He borrowed the money for the inventory and pays rent on the floor space. The guy selling at $3,100 likey does not place his order until he was a customer's credit card in hand. He only makes (say) $100 but for five minutes work and zero cost to him that's good money.

I think the retailers that will survive the 21st century are going to be the ones who can keep a line in front of the cash registers so as to never have to pay a cashier to wait around for a customer. That and they will have to run a sales volume such that they can use a "just in time" inventory so as to minimize the cost of borrowed money. Ma and Pa shops will not survive unless Ma or Pa goes back to school and gets and MBA.

C
C
Originally Posted by ChrisA

I don't doubt it. Few buyers today see a reason to pay a retailer $1,000 for delivering a factory sealed box. And that is what you are doing.

I was at GC a while back and the sale guy said he sold a DP for $40 over cost. Why? Because there is a line (literally) at the cash register and some $8/hr clerk can make $40 as fast as he can swipe credit cards.

There are two sales models. The guy selling for $4.900 buys the DP, sets it on as on the floor and waits for a buyer. He borrowed the money for the inventory and pays rent on the floor space. The guy selling at $3,100 likey does not place his order until he was a customer's credit card in hand. He only makes (say) $100 but for five minutes work and zero cost to him that's good money.

I think the retailers that will survive the 21st century are going to be the ones who can keep a line in front of the cash registers so as to never have to pay a cashier to wait around for a customer. That and they will have to run a sales volume such that they can use a "just in time" inventory so as to minimize the cost of borrowed money. Ma and Pa shops will not survive unless Ma or Pa goes back to school and gets and MBA.

Well said!!!

P
P
If Kawai dealers start selling DPs with even a $200 margin, I'm sure they'll fly off the floors.

I wonder what kind of markup do Clavinova dealers sell the Clavinovas at. The entire line seems way overpriced. Maybe I haven't found the right dealer.

C
C
If Kawai dealers start selling DPs with even a $200 margin, I'm sure they'll fly off the floors.

I wonder what kind of markup do Clavinova dealers sell the Clavinovas at. The entire line seems way overpriced. Maybe I haven't found the right dealer.

When I quoted the prices that the Yamaha dealer in my area had on his Clavinova line to the OWNER of the store that sold me the Kawai CA-93 he said it was approximately a %200 markup(Sad, I know!!) But, like so many experts on this site has pointed out, we shouldn't hate the dealers because if people are willing to pay these prices or even a little less SO BE IT!

Last edited by CSA4EVER; 03/26/10 05:45 PM.
N
N
polygon, I don’t know if they are overpriced but I do know they are much more expensive than their respective competitors. I checked out 4 dealers in the New England area. Here’s what I got:

Dealer 1 only carries the HPs - They only had the HP-207 at the time. I looked at its price, $4,499. I asked the salesman when they have the HP-307, what it'd be. He checked with the owner and they both told me it'll be $500 more than their current HP-207. I never come back.

Dealer 2 only carries the CLPs – After 3 different trips in a 3 month span, believe it or not, I finally get to talk with the CEO of this place. After a 45 min chat, he wrote in the back of his business card. “CLP-380PM - $4,700 Incl. Delivery & Yamaha Adjustable Bench”. Then shook my hands and told me to go home and think about it. I guess his way of saying "this is my best, give me a cal when you're ready". Ha... ha...

Dealer 3 carries CLPs & HPs – I took 2 trips here. They don’t have the CLP-380 on display. It doesn’t sell there but would order if I want to get it for around 4,500 – 4,600. I got my HP-307 from this dealer for $3,700.

Dealer 4 carries only the CA – I took 1 trip here to try it out before my HP decision. Talk with the owner. He’d sell the CA93 for $3,600.

Now, if you walk into these dealers without negotiating here’s what it looks like.

Dealer 1 HP-307: tag price $4,999. (I just add $500 to the HP-207):
Dealer 2 CLP-380: tag price $6,699.
Dealer 3 HP-370: No tag, but their initial offer was $4,199.
Dealer 4 CA-93: no tag, initial offer was $4,399 I think. I can’t remember because by now, my mind was already locked on the HP-307.

Why the CLP so much more? Is it in their polishes, durability, excellent customer service, accommodating warranties, name…? I don’t know. The CLP-380, to my touch and feel, isn’t any better than the other 2. I definitely think it has something to do with the Name & Reputation. I can’t imagine it cost that much more to make a CLP than an HP or CA.

I have to admit though, the CLP-380 is the sleekest looking DP out of the 3. I like its look and sound the most. Maybe Yamaha design is my type? Who knows.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Originally Posted by Nguyen
Dealer 1 only carries the HPs - They only had the HP-207 at the time. I looked at its price, $4,499. I asked the salesman when they have the HP-307, what it'd be. He checked with the owner and they both told me it'll be $500 more than their current HP-207. I never come back.

Dealer 2 only carries the CLPs – After 3 different trips in a 3 month span, believe it or not, I finally get to talk with the CEO of this place. After a 45 min chat, he wrote in the back of his business card. “CLP-380PM - $4,700 Incl. Delivery & Yamaha Adjustable Bench”. Then shook my hands and told me to go home and think about it. I guess his way of saying "this is my best, give me a cal when you're ready". Ha... ha...

Dealer 3 carries CLPs & HPs – I took 2 trips here. They don’t have the CLP-380 on display. It doesn’t sell there but would order if I want to get it for around 4,500 – 4,600. I got my HP-307 from this dealer for $3,700.

Dealer 4 carries only the CA – I took 1 trip here to try it out before my HP decision. Talk with the owner. He’d sell the CA93 for $3,600.

Now, if you walk into these dealers without negotiating here’s what it looks like.

Dealer 1 HP-307: tag price $4,999. (I just add $500 to the HP-207):
Dealer 2 CLP-380: tag price $6,699.
Dealer 3 HP-370: No tag, but their initial offer was $4,199.
Dealer 4 CA-93: no tag, initial offer was $4,399 I think. I can’t remember because by now, my mind was already locked on the HP-307.

Why the CLP so much more? Is it in their polishes, durability, excellent customer service, accommodating warranties, name…? I don’t know. The CLP-380, to my touch and feel, isn’t any better than the other 2. I definitely think it has something to do with the Name & Reputation. I can’t imagine it cost that much more to make a CLP than an HP or CA.

I have to admit though, the CLP-380 is the sleekest looking DP out of the 3. I like its look and sound the most. Maybe Yamaha design is my type? Who knows.
I wonder whether I'm understanding your correctly. It doesn't seem that you did much negotiating. Or, if you did, you didn't mention what offers you made. Would you be willing to share that information?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission