2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1402095 03/23/10 02:00 PM
OP Offline
My name is Kim (hence the "Kim" in the username) and I just picked up a Kimball (again the ball in the username LOL) player piano. I have had it for 2 weeks now! I have to say I love it!! It is a great addition to the house and my kid (20yrs old) enjoys playing the player rolls. I do too, but I also want to learn to play the real thing too!

I am as new as they come when it comes to playing the Piano and reading music. So you could say I pretty much know nothing about both! LOL I am currently teaching myself how to play. I picked up 3 lesson books consisting of, Alfred's Basic Lesson Book Level 1A (for kids), Alfred's Adult All in One Course Level 1, and Afred's Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson Book Level One! The first and last mentioned books have CD's included. I am currently working out of the "kids" book. Figured I need to start at the beginning! I like it but I find the CD to be of no use. At least for the first couple songs that I listened to. The CD includes other instruments playing along with the songs I am trying to learn and it is hard to actually hear the 'Piano' playing to hear what the song is supposed to sound like with just the piano, like I am playing! Meaning I don't have other instruments playing with me, so I don't want to hear the other instruments, just want to hear the piano! Wish they made the CD's that way!

When I was in High School I took music and played the recorder. Back then I could read music. It has been about 5 years (ok, I am lying there! LOL), been about 20 some odd years since then. I also tried to learn Guitar about 2 years ago and tried to learn to read music again. That didn't last to long and I slowly gave it up! I could play the chords for Horse with No Name (can't remember name of the song, but sure you know what I'm talking about!) and that was about all.

About a year ago I tried to learn to play the keyboard. I had bought it for my son and he never played it, so I decided to try it. Problem was, I had no where to keep it, so it eventually got put away. During that adventure I learned where some of the keys were and how to place my hands for the "C Position". That little bit has actually helped me in now learning to play on my actual Piano.

The nice thing about this Piano is we made room for it and it can't be put away! LOL It is not in the best spot, but it will always be available to play. Also, if I get discouraged with my playing (practicing), I can always just slip in a roll and play beautiful music! That is also what has peaked my interest to play!! Hearing the rolls and want to eventually play those songs myself!

I would say the only thing I have concerns about is tempo. I am no good at keeping time. Not sure if that will come in time or not, but it is one of the reasons I am opting not to get a teacher yet. I want to learn to read the notes and play a few songs I recognize and know how fast or slow they are supposed be played, first, then I may get a teacher to go beyond that!

So far I can only play Old MacDonald and Jolly Old Saint Nicolas pretty good. That is just using the number system and the black keys. I am working on the white keys now and actually trying to learn the notes. Last night I was able to play what the book calls "A Happy Song" almost flawlessly! Which is pretty good for me! LOL I know it seems like peanuts to most of you! LOL If you are ever at a music store, it is page 34 of the "kids book" mentioned above!

I know this has been long but I have so much to share! LOL I will end here with some pics of my Piano!

Picking her up!
[Linked Image]

Hubby is a tow truck driver so we brought her home ourselves!

Here is a shot with her roll door open!

[Linked Image]

She is not in the best spot currently, but I am going to work on getting her on an inside wall asap! Right now she is in front of a North facing window. She won't get any sun, but I am worried about any drafts. Luckily it is spring now so the damp days are pretty much behind us! There is an a/c unit just to the left of her and I want to remedy that soon too! I plan on swapping areas with my desk, then she will be all nice and cozy!!

[Linked Image]

Well, that is all I can think of for now! LOL I know, it was a lot! laugh

I hope to learn alot from the site so I am looking forward to looking around here!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forums Kim.

I'll add that the delivery method of that piano was towtally cool.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Welcome, Kim, and best wishes on your piano journey.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
wow, that brings back memories. I think we had that same player piano when I grew up as a kid. I remember racing to see how fast I could "rewind" a player roll, ending in a loud FLAP-AP-AP-AP-AP-AP.

Shame on me for not taking advantage of having a piano in the house growing up. frown

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome Kim! I am confident you will enjoy your piano experience.

I did want to make a comment on something you posted:

"Hearing the rolls and want to eventually play those songs myself!

I would say the only thing I have concerns about is tempo. I am no good at keeping time. Not sure if that will come in time or not, but it is one of the reasons I am opting not to get a teacher yet. I want to learn to read the notes and play a few songs I recognize and know how fast or slow they are supposed be played, first, then I may get a teacher to go beyond that!"

I would think that if you want to play as the piano rolls do, then you will want to get a teacher. Also, it sounds like your putting the cart before the Ox in what your trying to accomplish before getting a teacher.

I would say get the teacher to help you learn the basics then determin if you want to personally go beyond that.

I also get the feeling, and I could be wrong, that you are wanting to see how long it takes you to pick up new things and based on that will determin if you think you can achieve your goals and make investing in a piano teacher worth while?

I would just encourage you to be patient with yourself and that a good teacher can actually increase your learning speed.

Currently learning composition:

Some of my compositions
OP Offline
Originally Posted by D4v3
Welcome Kim! I am confident you will enjoy your piano experience.

I also get the feeling, and I could be wrong, that you are wanting to see how long it takes you to pick up new things and based on that will determin if you think you can achieve your goals and make investing in a piano teacher worth while?

I would just encourage you to be patient with yourself and that a good teacher can actually increase your learning speed.

No you are not entirely wrong. I have done the "get the instrument, and then not follow through thing. I don't want to do that with this Piano. I would like to actually learn. I have thought about a teacher, but, 1. like I said above, I would like to learn a little before getting one. Basically I want to be able to know the basic notes first. 2. Time constraints. Although I haven't actually looked or talked to a teacher yet, I work weird hours so my weekdays are kind of weird. I work 3am - 11.30am then go back at 11pm to 7.30am. That is on Tues and Tues night. So Tuesday day is shot do to having to sleep. Then I do the same thing on Thurs and Thurs. night. So Thursday is shot. With that I try to practice before I go to sleep on those days, but depending on other life matters, I may not get to practice everyday! I'm worried that I won't be able to keep up having a teacher. I know, excuses excuses! smile

I guess I should talk to one before I start making excuses!! laugh

I am going to Skips Music tomorrow to get a Metronome, so I will ask how their lessons work! Would be kind of nice to have someone come over to the house, but I'm sure that would cost a bit!

Being patient is one thing I am doing this time! I am not trying to go through the book in 2 days. What I did and am doing is, a couple pages till I feel comfortable with what I played. Then once I can do those 2 pages good, I go to the next page. Then the next day I go back to the beginning. Once I do that a few times and I can play the 'beginning' songs really good and they become to easy, I will not go back that far the next day.

I just got done practicing a few minutes ago and I am actually getting the notes down. Well, CDEFG and GFEDC that is! LOL What I need to start doing now is actually writing them down on my practice sheets. (Blank sheets with the lines and spaces.)

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
Welcome to the forums Kim.

I'll add that the delivery method of that piano was towtally cool.

That's pretty clever, Anthony!

Kim--Welcome to the forums. I know what you mean about being patient. Several times when I have tried to learn a skill, I've overdone it in the beginning rather than just being consistent and pushing past any roadblocks. It sounds like you are determined to be patient, so I'm sure you'll be successful.

I'm with you about other instruments on the CD. I also want to hear just piano. I also like playing an easy duet with the second part on a CD. I don't find those too often, but they're more common in beginning books.

Enjoy your new piano!

Nancy

Estonia 168

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Welcome to the forum, Kim. smile Love the tow truck photo, and that's a gorgeous piano you have.

You can search the archives for the pros and cons of self-teaching. It sounds like your schedule presents real difficulties in terms of regular practice and arranging a lesson, so self-teaching may be the way for you to go right now. But if the only reason to avoid getting a teacher is that you want to know something first, you should just go ahead and schedule the lessons. Teachers would infinitely prefer to start a student from scratch, so that they can instruct on proper posture, hand positioning, etc. from the beginning, rather than take on a student who has picked up a lot of bad habits and needs to be retrained.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Kim. Is there a community college close by that offers a beginning piano class? That's how I got started. it helps top have a teacher who can point out problems with hand position, etc.

Gary
Welcome Kim to the forum!

Piano lessons are usually once a week for half an hour, so don't be so quick to dismiss them. Also, as others have stated you can get a lot farther in a shorter period of time with a teacher. Don't feel bad about not knowing the notes. It's perfectly normal and you'll learn the notes as you are learning everything else with a teacher. But whatever you choose to do, you've got to have a lot of patience!!

Good Luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

Meredith

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oooohhh.. I'm jealous about that player piano - especially since I'm such a Ragtime aficionado. smile

Purchasing that piano is a huge step to literally committing yourself to learning to play. Have fun with the journey! smile

I've always wanted a player piano, i'm so envious... Congratulations!

Hi Kim!

I join the others in welcoming you to the ABF! I enjoyed the pictures of your new-to-you player piano!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome and congrats on such a unique piano! I heart ABF and it's terribly addictive! thumb
- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission