2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 7 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by beet31425
Legal Beagle's suggestion is excellent.

Even better, learn to sound out the song on the spot. Check out the girl's reaction at 2:00 of this awesome ChatRoulette / piano improv video making the rounds:

This is so AMAZING!!! Also, a great way to share his music and to make people smile!
: )

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Claire De Lune (what girl doesn't watch Twilight)
Traumerei (sweet piece)
Rhapsody on a Theme By Paganini (Maybe for the older women but it has a sweet melody

Now if you want to play something virtuosic, you need to stay away from the abstract and dissonant works not exactly appealing to the ears of non-musicians - Liszt, Bach, Rach, Prokofiev, e.t.c.

Maybe take a look at some Chopin Nocturnes

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Probably try to think of a song that reminds you of her, tell her why and then play it for her. Unless it's "Back Dat A** up" or something like that. Although, if she has a good sense of humor, it might make her laugh grin

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
A
A
Hi, maybe you should play the overplayed moonlight's sonata 1st movement. Even if its really trivial all girls like it, especially if you play it for them. And you can learn it in less than a week.

But I have to admit (sadly) that Bach is NOT the way to go frown
But some "romantic" bach pieces would do the job.. IE variation 25 (Goldberg), some transcriptions (like 1068 aria), adagio 564..
maybe contrapunctus 1 from the art of fugue can please an untrained ear.

I forgot to include an other easy romantic piece, the chopins op28 #4 "suffocation", easy to play and good for girls

Last edited by Albany; 03/19/10 08:29 AM.
It really does depend on the girl, but make sure it's something you can play well. Better to play an easier piece well than mess up on a harder one in front of the girl you like...

Looking for piano learning resources or interesting piano stories? Check out my piano blog.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
anything but "Lord I Was Born a Ramblin' Man" by the Allman Brothers...

this one worked for me though, I wrote it on Valentine's Day for my girlfriend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ZqKLfKQQU

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
When I was in college there was a beautiful grand piano in the student union. My freshman year I sat down and started to play "The Days of Wine and Roses." This incredible blonde came over to me and just stood there. When I finished I knew she had a strong connection to the song. We dated for quite a while after that and all my friends would call her "Days." Go with a ballad my friend.

Andy

Last edited by Manndrew; 03/19/10 01:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Either the Mendelssohn or Wagner Wedding March. "I know it's silly, but it's always been my favourite tune..."

Or compose one. A skilfully constructed "special song" can be adapted to any name. Think "Happy Birthday". Mine has been recycled several times :-)

The only time I ever got picked up on a gig, she said she always liked pianists, they had such clever fingers. (Yes, really)

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Has anyone mentioned Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water? Take a crack at that tune and any woman will be impressed.

katt

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"What do they want?"

Freud asked, and I see men are still asking. Even the great Sherlock Holmes found this all but impossible to interpret... and I suspect they like it that way.

However, some detective work of your own could help the odds. A look at her music collection, for instance; noticing what radio station she listens to; asking her friends or siblings (though they may give you away); even asking her.

If she thinks you've tried to please her and have thought about what she likes (and dislikes), I think that could help you. Bring out a bouquet of flowers from a place of concealment (not red roses, though) and present it to her when you play--- that helps make an impression. Some piece you really love and can play well, that expresses your own feelings, will at least get you credit for a good effort (and she will remind her husband of it, many times, in the future).

Bottom line: she either likes you, or she doesn't. So, give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 03/21/10 12:29 PM.

Clef

H
H
Debussy's music in general. 'The girl with flaxen hair' is a good example.

B
B
This one is easy to learn fast:

The Piano [Life is a song] Yann Tiersen ...

Hailun 178
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Believe it or not, a girl worth her salt is most impressed with your intracranial contents AND your ability to communicate and share them.. Honest!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
This one always impresses me!

For a few reasons! grin One reason, I like watching the piano open like that, and two, he's just plays the way I like! Relaxed but rough and edgy!

I just like all this! What more can I say!

Last edited by Diane...; 03/21/10 11:21 PM.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Or playing like this! A medley arrangement of a few pieces! Mix it up a little!

This is from the movie "Groundhog Day"!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
O
O
I believe the piece Bluespianofan might be referring to is Comptine d'un autre été by Yann Tiersen. It is a very moving piece of music. This is the piece that made me want to learn how to play piano! Any girl will melt for this one (I'm a little partial to Tiersen)! I also agree with Rob and Jeff...YOU'VE gotta love whatever piece you pick. She will hear the emotion you play it with. Good luck! I'd be curious to know which one you end up going with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLF-gh4C2M

Last edited by TiersenAddict; 03/23/10 02:52 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Believe it or not, a girl worth her salt is most impressed with your intracranial contents AND your ability to communicate and share them.. Honest!
If those "intracranial contents" include piano playing knowledge well, that's just even better!

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by joaquin112
So I'm trying to impress a girl with my piano skills. Which piece would you choose? I'm thinking something by Yiruma, but maybe Taylor Swift or so...

You should try, "I've got so many hundred-dollar bills in my pocket that they're cutting off the circulation in my leg. Here, why don't you take about 50 of them?"

Live Music Is Best
R
R
Do you really want to impress her?
is she your dream girl?

then there is a proven rule buddy!

NEVER SHOW HER THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO IMPRESS HER. NEVER!

claviers are BACH things, you wouldn't understand!
B
B
Nice Topic!
My suggestions would be some of the ones already mentioned. What girl doesn't like Twilight? But depending on what style you're looking for-

Soundtrack- Bella's Lullaby from Twilight (not the Yiruma one). Or The Heart asks Pleasure First from The Piano.

Contemporary- Comptine D'ete ... by Yann Tiersen or many others by him. Struggle for Pleasure by Wim Mertens.

Pop- Love Song by Sara Bareilles

Classical- Debussy's Clair de Lune, Chopin's Nocturne op 9 #2 or some other Chopin- Fantasie Impromptu

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission