2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (antune, anotherscott, A. Lucato, adamcz, Alex Hutor, Alfred La Fleur, accordeur, ando, 15 invisible), 1,031 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1397283 03/16/10 08:33 PM
D
Dan D Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone. I am new to PW and though I have lurked about for a little while this is my first post.

Been looking around Chicago area for pianos a lot lately and I think I have been to nearly every dealer in metro area. Have narrowed things down considerably: I have found 2 dealers I like, Kurt Saphir and Pickle Piano. I have found two makers of new vertical pianos I really like in my price range as well; Charles Walter and Hoffman. I was intrigued by a Perzina as well as a new Knabe, but these are probably second cut.

My concern is this: despite having found some fine vertical pianos I like I fear that I will regret not buying a grand piano and the wonderful touch and action afforded by it. Despite the fact that a decent grand will cost more than these pianos I have found and the fact that space is a concern in our smaller house I still worry that I will wish I had a grand. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

DD

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You are screwed!

If you get an upright, every time you sit down to it, you'll be thinking "I should have bought a grand".

Once a serious consideration, nothing else will do!!!

Look for a decent used grand. There are plently around.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
D
Dan D Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Steve. Screwed is a harsh word: I wish all my problems were this good. Still, I hate hearing it. LOL

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
The words may be harsh, but they are so true. Good luck in your search for a nice used grand.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm afraid Steve is probably right. I think it's important to only buy a piano that you love, if possible. Even though I'm famous for indecision and buyer's regret, once I found the one I love, I've never once regretted buying it. In today's market you hopefully should be able to find a used grand in good condition. Good luck, and keep us posted. I've been to Pickle Piano, and it's my favorite store in Chicagoland.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
P
P
Dan, I feel for you. But I am probably one of many who started with an upright and very shortly thereafter could not forget the experience of a grand and managed to find a spot to squeeze a small grand into a fairly small room. This was many years ago, and fortunately, I didn't lose a lot in the switch because I bought the upright from Kurt Saphir and at the time they had an upgrade policy which gave me a full credit when I traded it for the grand.

I own a great upright myself and have no regrets. This is not a cut and dry issue as some here assume.

In today's market there are some excellent options for uprights but you need to widen your choice.

A good grand will not only cost you more can can be more 'fatal' if not chosen wisely. Take your time and check out the different options available to you.

Let us know what you come across - always here to help...

Norbert smile

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
B
B
What about a Yamaha Avant Grand? This is a digital piano with an acoustic action inside, Both the grand and upright model have a grand piano action inside and use the sample of a concert grand. Worth a consideration if you want a grand sound and feel in a small package. Downside - It's digital, although to some the fact that it never goes out of tune overrides that issue.

Good luck!

Digital is a big downside. It will never take the place of an acoustic piano. Charles Walters are great pianos. Try the Perzinas they are wonderful as well. See which you like better. A grand piano is like nothing else but pay attention to what Norbert says and take your time to check out the different options and costs and choose wisly if that is the direction you choose to take. Good luck.

If buying new, keep in mind what plumpfinger said about upgrade policy. There are many dealers that do this... let you upgrade and give you full credit for what you have into the previous piano. That way, when the feeling and resources allow... then get the one you have always been looking for. Just a thought.

Last edited by misha4282; 03/17/10 05:32 PM.

Estonia L190 #7051
D
Dan D Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you so much everyone for all the thoughtful replies. I still have plenty of time before purchase so I plan on making the rounds again to revisit some of the grand pianos that I more or less ignored when looking before. I will consider all of the aforementioned opinions for sure. Since a quality piano with touch and sound I love is very important to me I feel like I could buy a Walter today and not regret the decision. But even the finest verticals I have tried can hardly compare with the touch, feel and sound of even some "inexpensive" (lol) grands I have tried.

About my space considerations: I have three places the new piano will go. (1) Least desirable would be the unfinished basement I currently have the digital piano in. There's space, its dry but not too dry and temperature is constant throughout the year. (2) My wife is on board with using the back out of the way quarter of our large kitchen area provided it's a vertical we find. There's plenty of space for a 5.5 grand for sure, but it would definately be a dominating presence. (3) The office- already crowded and acoustically dry, this small room is only large enough for a vertical piano.

In short- I COULD put a grand piano somewhere, but again- is it the right thing for us right now?

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Maybe get a template from a local dealer and see what happens when you intall it in the room in which a grand would be placed. If the template doesn't include an outline for a bench, it'd be a good idea to factor that in somehow.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,190
Posts3,133,566
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission