2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
38 members (bill5, accordeur, apianostudent, AliMacLennan89, Bachus, Alan B, AZNpiano, AmagicalFishy, 6 invisible), 428 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: AvantGrand quick first impression
mucci #1385456 03/01/10 11:34 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kawaian
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

At the risk of sounding repetitive...it is simply the injection of a healthy dose of "reality"....nothing more.

Overdose, my dear, overdose... crazy

Okay...it is simply the injection of a healthy overdose of reality. grin

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
snazzyplayer #1385457 03/01/10 11:37 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

At the risk of sounding repetitive...it is simply the injection of a healthy dose of "reality"....nothing more.

Overdose, my dear, overdose... crazy

Okay...it is simply the injection of a healthy overdose of reality. grin

Snazzy

We're almost there...

It is simply the injection of an unhealthy overdose of reality. grin

thumb

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
BazC #1385459 03/01/10 11:41 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BazC
Or the CP1, everyone was treating it like the keyboard equivalent of the second coming until Dewster posted his analysis and the reaction from some seemed to be "it's nothing special after all" Well I don't doubt it's using stretching and looping but I don't believe you can judge whether it's special or not until you've played one or at least heard one in the flesh!

The CP1 is a special case, the exception that proves the rule in a way. It sounds really nice in recordings, and up close they obviously did their homework with a relatively conventional sized sample set and compression techniques. I routinely provisionally recommend the P50 to people looking for something in the P155 range. But look at this stretching:

- Stretch distances: 3,3,4,4,4,2,4,3,1(x26),2,3,2,1,1,1,3,2,2,3,4,2,3,3,3 = 49 groups.

I can hear the lower transitions, so for me personally, buying something for our studio, this is in go/no go territory, but everyone knows I'm really picky.

Yamaha hyped this to the stars and came up with new pseudo-terminology for the piano voice, so expectations were high. It's a big step up from the P155 and similar, but it could benefit from more sample memory.

Originally Posted by BazC
What are these tests telling you? With the exception of the V-Piano all DPs use looping and most use stretching so at best you'll get an indication of how much stretching and looping is used. The problem is it doesn't tell you how audible that stretching and looping is, only your ears can do that.

People should download the MP3 and listen to it to see if they detect / tolerate / like what's going on.

mucci #1385470 03/01/10 11:48 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

We're almost there...

It is simply the injection of an unhealthy overdose of reality. grin

thumb

Actually, for me, "we" were "there" with the "injection of a healthy dose of reality"...but sometimes it takes an unhealthy overdose to shake things up for people irrepressibly dependant on unproven test results. grin

Sort of like the hastening of "hitting bottom" for the persons so inclined. wink

Snazzy

snazzyplayer #1385487 03/01/10 12:16 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

sometimes it takes an unhealthy overdose to shake things up for people irrepressibly dependant on unproven test results. grin

Anyone in mind?

BTW after reading Dewsters results of the CP1 I immediately cancelled my order grin No, I would never do so, and noone else I guess. Actually I would be really tempted by getting a CP1 - if it wouldn't be "just" a stage piano and the price tag would be cut half. It's just way too expensive for me. Nice keyboard and great sounding pianos!

mucci #1385497 03/01/10 12:37 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

sometimes it takes an unhealthy overdose to shake things up for people irrepressibly dependant on unproven test results. grin

Anyone in mind?

BTW after reading Dewsters results of the CP1 I immediately cancelled my order grin No, I would never do so, and noone else I guess. Actually I would be really tempted by getting a CP1 - if it wouldn't be "just" a stage piano and the price tag would be cut half. It's just way too expensive for me. Nice keyboard and great sounding pianos!

Not really...these people tend to make themselves known pretty quickly, and the effect of a dose of reality is usually met with denial.

I'm very interested in a CP-5, an RD-700GX with the SN kit, and the next generation Avant Grand (N4?)...it will all depend on how they play and sound.

Ideally, I'd like to have either stage piano for gigs, plus the Avant Grand for home, but since I'm also considering a move to Canada, which I'm doing some investigation on this week by a short trip to the Maritimes, the acquisition and/or
examination of these instruments has no immediate importance until I have other affairs settled.

Snazzy

snazzyplayer #1385508 03/01/10 12:46 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm very interested in a CP-5, an RD-700GX with the SN kit, and the next generation Avant Grand (N4?)...it will all depend on how they play and sound.

Ideally, I'd like to have either stage piano for gigs, plus the Avant Grand for home, but since I'm also considering a move to Canada, which I'm doing some investigation on this week by a short trip to the Maritimes, the acquisition and/or
examination of these instruments has no immediate importance until I have other affairs settled.

I'm not in a search of a new DP since I just made my choice, however it's always interesting how things are moving forward.

So you're considering moving from Earth to Canada? grin BTW we had a great time watching the Vancouver Winter Games!

mucci #1385516 03/01/10 12:56 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So you're considering moving from Earth to Canada? grin BTW we had a great time watching the Vancouver Winter Games!

Yep...the people there, especially the East Coast, are more down to earth than most places I've been.

I've been on the road for most of my life, so moving isn't a big deal.

No matter where you go...there you are. wink

Snazzy

snazzyplayer #1385524 03/01/10 01:06 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Yep...the people there, especially the East Coast, are more down to earth than most places I've been.

I've been on the road for most of my life, so moving isn't a big deal.

So... What's your favorite: Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec - or Halifax!?

No matter where you go...there you are. wink

Hehe... If my wife and daugthers are with me, everywhere is home!

mucci #1385542 03/01/10 01:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So... What's your favorite: Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec - or Halifax!?

Cape Breton Island...I like places where the living is laid back, the land is beautiful, and there are lots of musicians.

Snazzy

Dr Popper #1385558 03/01/10 01:47 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Not really is actually about what I'm hearing with my ears isn't matching with Dewsters visual charts.

What in particular isn't matching? Just because you can see it in the spectral views doesn't necessarily mean you can hear it. But I endeavor to point these things out in my reviews; I'm not trying to fool anyone.

Its trying to expose various tricks used by manufacturers as if they are indeed just that however I would contend that that the results in the little charts are not matching up with what I'm hearing and in reality the CP1 has ZERO audible artifacts.

For old school sample size and a bit of new technique, the CP1 sounds pretty amazing. Does it crush, or even equal a good PC sampler? No.

Subjectivity has its place, but is it too much to ask for you to include a little perspective with yours?

The test is confusing people by asking them to trust a unproven , uncontrolled, untested software based analysis tool above their own ears and playing experience.

Jesus, it's Adobe Audition, not something I wrote in my basement over a weekend. It's a professional tool created by a huge professional software company used by professional guys like you in professional studios. It's bog standard stuff anyway, the DFT/FFT has been around in one form or another for a couple of hundred years. If you don't like it, pay a visit to Gauss's grave and talk to him.

Knowing all too well Dewsters opinions about practically all commercial DP's prior to the test makes me very skeptical about it indeed and until the test itself is analyzed by a professional third party and tests are conducted under controlled conditions I will take the results with a grain of salt.

The fact that most DPs are crap is fairly self-evident. Almost anyone who is accustomed to a real piano, but must settle for a DP, knows that something very substantial is missing from the experience, and it isn't something a good set of headphones or speakers can generally cure. I believe most people who own DPs become less happy with them over time, due in large part to the same old lifeless, ear fatiguing, stretched sample loops playing over and over and over. Pros seem particularly unsatisfied, and go through gear like a fish through water, looking for anything that sounds even just a shade more realistic than what they already own. But while pros like you can afford to trade up once a year, the rest of us can't, so we are forced to use more technical savvy in our purchases.

There is a long history of this kind of impartial third-party "amateur" testing slowly morphing into impartial third-party "professional" testing in the PC hardware world - the difference is mainly ad revenue. Look at Tom's Hardware, or Anandtech - they started out benchmarking stuff, looking for truth wherever they could find it. All they have is their impartial reputation to stand on - their claim to fame actually. They'd get pretty upset if you ran around on the web saying they had an intentional bias or nefarious agenda or poor analysis techniques, particularly if you had no proof whatsoever to back those claims.

Someone has to fill the technical information void created by the manufacturers themselves. And, regardless of what you think about the SuperNATURAL sound, Roland at least has stepped up to the plate and addressed these things head-on.

dewster #1385587 03/01/10 02:30 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster

The fact that most DPs are crap is fairly self-evident.

Well, it appears my point about you being biased was spot on.

Thanks, pal...you're your own worst enema. wink

Snazzy

snazzyplayer #1385630 03/01/10 03:12 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

That AvantGrand of yours was so wonderful that after a couple of months you dumped it on some poor unsuspecting sap for a tidy profit.

dewster #1385635 03/01/10 03:18 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

That AvantGrand of yours was so wonderful that after a couple of months you dumped it on some poor unsuspecting sap for a tidy profit.

It still doesn't change the fact that you are biased.

Snazzy

snazzyplayer #1385637 03/01/10 03:18 PM
B
B
OMG this is so ridiculous. How anyone can say "there is no stretching/looping (in CP1)" when its clearly visible???
Snazzyplayer, Dr Popper, what are you trying to say exactly? - please answer yes/no
- Mp3 is fake?
- Adoube Audition is fake?
- Dewster uses it in a wrong way?
- FFT is fake?
- Pictures are fake?
- Do you understand what "stretching" and "looping" means???

Last edited by bkmz; 03/01/10 03:19 PM.
bkmz #1385644 03/01/10 03:28 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkmz

Snazzyplayer, Dr Popper, what are you trying to say exactly? -

Well, speaking for myself...

Firstly, there is bias on the part of the tester...before the test was even started, Dewster had already formed an opinion on most, if not all, digital pianos available to the public, which he expressed in several posts on this forum.

Secondly, there is the distinct possibility of inaccurate test material, the use of an untested software based analysis tool used by a self-professed amateur, and less than optimum controlled test conditions.

Any other questions? grin

Snazzy

snazzyplayer #1385646 03/01/10 03:39 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
snazzyplayer, you should set up a this as an autotext object, since you use it all the time. Or you should copyright these two statements. You could earn a lot of money with that!

snazzyplayer #1385649 03/01/10 03:41 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

The fact that most DPs are crap is fairly self-evident.

Snazzy

Well, if all DPs are considered the same crap, then it's not really biased... grin

mucci #1385650 03/01/10 03:41 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
snazzyplayer, you should set up a this as an autotext object, since you use it all the time. Or you should copyright these two statements. You could earn a lot of money with that!

It's a little trick that dear Gyro taught us...saves time, and helps those who haven't read the entire thread get a clue.

Snazzy

bkmz #1385651 03/01/10 03:41 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkmz
OMG this is so ridiculous. How anyone can say "there is no stretching/looping (in CP1)" when its clearly visible???
Snazzyplayer, Dr Popper, what are you trying to say exactly? - please answer yes/no
- Mp3 is fake?
- Adoube Audition is fake?
- Dewster uses it in a wrong way?
- FFT is fake?
- Pictures are fake?
- Do you understand what "stretching" and "looping" means???

I can answer this.

- Mp3 is fake? - Dr P says no, Snazzy says maybe - I got it directly from Lawrence and haven't modified it.
- Adoube Audition is fake? - Dr P acts like he never heard of it, Snazzy says it's untested.
- Dewster uses it in a wrong way? - Snazzy says it is likely, Dr P says it's all meaningless.
- FFT is fake? - They probably don't know what that is.
- Pictures are fake? - Dr P says they somehow don't match what he hears but hasn't elaborated, Snazzy calls them "squiggles".
- Do you understand what "stretching" and "looping" means??? - They go out of their way to not understand.

Trust me, you're banging your head against a wall of crazy.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you like your slow close fallboard?
by Lady Bird - 07/06/20 12:16 AM
Nektar Impact GX61 Controller
by bill5 - 07/05/20 09:32 PM
New Song I heard and just saw the move
by piano_primo - 07/05/20 08:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,053
Posts2,977,311
Members97,671
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission