2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
drm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi there

I seldom post on PW, not being a piano player, but found this site incredibly helpful when I was purchasing a piano a few years back. My son (4th grade) has been playing the piano for the past 3.5 years. While not a prodigy, piano seems to come easily to him and his teacher comments on his ability. He is just starting an intermediate book at this point and his playing has really started to take shape over the past year. I think he better enjoys the music selection and added difficulty. I view him more as a technical player, though, wanting everything to be correct, versus the passionate or emotional player. Hopefully, the later part comes in time. I should also comment that he doesn't live and die by the piano, but he is good about practicing and I think he truly enjoys playing.

Next year he will have the ability to start playing a band instrument in school. I like the idea, thinking the band will be a social outlet for the years ahead. He is not a sport oriented kid (other than karate), but more math and science. His school music teacher is all for it and his piano teacher is fine with it. His piano teacher thinks playing a second instrument is fine (she plays multiple instruments), albeit wants (& thinks) piano will be his main instrument.

My son's first reaction is that he is a piano player. His second response was "how about guitar", not quite a band instrument. We still have plenty of time to think about this, but I was hoping for some thoughts from the members here. Can the piano and a band instrument work together? Is it reasonable to think the piano will remain the primary instrument? Is there a band instrument that you would recommend & why? My ultimate aim is to enhance my son's school years, while also fostering his ability to play music, a lifelong skill. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by drm; 02/27/10 06:48 PM.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
The school district I live in does a really good job of supporting music, and the teachers are excellent. The teachers here allow the students to try out different instruments, and then the teachers make recommendations based on what they see. It's hard to explain, but different physical attributes might make one instrument preferable over another - size and shape of mouth, for example.

I have three children - all adults now - who all grew up playing the piano and another instrument. The eldest went with guitar. He taught himself acoustic, and took lessons for classical. He sounds much like your son - academic, and technically proficient on piano. Guitar has definitely won his heart - he plays regularly, and saves his money for more "toys" (He has several guitars, acoustic and electric, and a whole bunch of gadgets.) This son initially thought he wanted to play violin in middle school, but the teacher was very demanding, and we decided it would be an exercise in frustration. (One of these teachers who demanded that the parents sign practice sheets - 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year - or grade suffers. We weren't willing to lie, and weren't willing to let it affect his grades.) He started guitar in 9th grade.

Second son did band. Band director recommended the instrument based on what he saw as son's natural talent. (That son is at Juilliard now.) We did have a challenge finding appropriate piano teachers for him. He was quite talented - the emotional player - but it was his second - or third - priority, and several piano teachers we met with weren't willing to be anything but first on the list.

Daughter did orchestra. But she started violin at age 6.

Band and orchestra were wonderful outlets for two of my kids. It was a set group of friends, especially when moving from middle to high school. And music just tends to attract the nicest people!

Piano is a great instrument and a great skill all by itself. But it is a wonderful foundation to build on with other instruments as well. Why don't you consider taking your son to some concerts in the area - classical orchestra concerts, high school band concerts, free recitals, or whatever you can find. Some of the choice of instrument might be dictated by what music he likes best.

piano teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Notice: Highly opinionated post follows. Don't read it if you don't like strong opinions.

Does your son's school offer a strings program? Choir? Does your community support an youth orchestra program?

I generally recommend my students explore strings or participate in choir if it's available. This is not to put down band programs, but the function of bands is more to serve as schools' athletic cheer leading than genuine musical development. Obviously, there are exceptions, or I'm sure there are band directors who are earnestly trying to be the exception.

Anyway, my point being that choir is one way a student can learn voicing and phrasing; strings are generally melodic instruments in symphonic music, so again, students are learning voicing and phrasing.

If band is the only option, I would steer him away from clarinets and trumpets and see if he can learn oboe, French horn, English horn, bassoon, etc.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
I've played the piano and a band instrument for many years, and I've played both instruments in a semi-professional setting (I'm retired from an Army Reserve Band). If you want to know what band instrument would most compliment his piano playing I would go with percussion. It will enhance his sense of timing, and he also is familiar with the keyboard so he would be a natural at keyboard percussion, Xylaphone, marimba, orchestra bells, etc.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
In my town the schools don't give kids the opportunity to learn an instrument until 5th grade (too late, in my opinion).

I have several students who started piano with me at age 5 or 6 and then started a band or orchestra instrument around age 10 or so. What I hear from the parents or the child's band teacher is that the kids usual 'take off' with their 2nd instrument and do really well. In fact, many students skip the first year of beginning band or get bumped up to a a higher band level because of their piano background. They already know how to read music and rhythm; they just need to learn how to play their instrument.

Sometimes students will end up preferring another instrument over piano; sometimes kids will do both instruments. My own kids started out with piano and then learned a 2nd instrument. My son played saxophone and drums, preferring drums as his 'main' instrument. My daughter did a little violin and then guitar (electric and acoustic), which she now plays exclusively. They did have some lessons in their other instruments but have mainly learned on their own. Both are in college and still play; my son was part of a local band and also plays in the worship band at church on occasion.

I would definitely encourage a 2nd instrument and being in the school band will be a great experience for him and he'll have many wonderful memories.

**Edited to ditto what RayE mentioned above. I have a few piano students who absolutely excel at percussion in their school bands. The xylophone and marimba seem to be very natural for piano players.

Last edited by dumdumdiddle; 02/27/10 06:59 PM.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My eldest has combined horn and piano very effectively so far. Piano started first, and remains primary, but he studies horn seriously with a top teacher. One can do both at these ages. There are costs, of course. The time spent practicing the horn or playing with the band cannot be used for piano or other things. There are synergies as well. Playing the piano made learning the horn quite a bit easier. And playing the horn has given him a window on breathing that now influences his phrasing and control on the piano. The horn has also allowed him to experience orchestral music from the musician's point of view.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
More highly opiniontion here - regretfully, my worst student, who was intellectually brilliant and very capable, was a percussionist. Trying to teach this student not to play percussively was a constant, and regretfully, losing battle.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Notice: Highly opinionated post follows. Don't read it if you don't like strong opinions.

Does your son's school offer a strings program? Choir? Does your community support an youth orchestra program?

I generally recommend my students explore strings or participate in choir if it's available. This is not to put down band programs, but the function of bands is more to serve as schools' athletic cheer leading than genuine musical development. Obviously, there are exceptions, or I'm sure there are band directors who are earnestly trying to be the exception.

Anyway, my point being that choir is one way a student can learn voicing and phrasing; strings are generally melodic instruments in symphonic music, so again, students are learning voicing and phrasing.

If band is the only option, I would steer him away from clarinets and trumpets and see if he can learn oboe, French horn, English horn, bassoon, etc.

+1

Alas, and a bit OT here, excuse me, but as I read this thread my heart aches for the music program in our K-8 school district.
Last year one music teacher was cut, and this year the board is proposing to cut general music, band, and choir from grades 4-6, leaving us with only band 7-8. Especially tough times here in CA.
You all are fortunate if you have well-supported music programs in your schools. I hope you can keep them and put your kids into these programs.

Piano Teacher
D
drm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Lollipop

Thank you for the insightful response. It's comforting to see how you can create different avenues for the different aptitudes and personalities. While I know my son enjoys music, he seems so technical about playing, that it seems more about mastering something he finds fascinating versus the passion of the music. I guess time will tell.

I also like your suggestion about taking him to different musical concerts. He really enjoys going to see more contemporary events as well as musical shows. His one symphony outing was not easy, but it was his first time. I know I should expose him to more of it. Once again thank you. I appreciate the perspective and suggestions.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I still play in band, and I'm 57.

Band gives exposure to musical skills you don't often see in the privacy of a piano practice room: ensemble skills, learning to play in good time and tune with others, to blend, to listen, to subordinate your ego to the needs of the group.

Also, it's a social activity at an age where kids are intensely social beings.

When I was in high school, all the good piano students I knew played in band and/or sang in the choir.

You can do both, and it's usually worthwhile.

gotta go practice
D
drm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
He has a good singing voice and I think joining the choir is fine. I would still like the band option, though. I think it provides a better social outlet as he goes into middle and high school.

Unfortunately, our town does not have a strong string program. They have an intro program for second graders, but it doesn't tie back into any of the school programs and it's not tied to any orchestral program. At the high school level, they have also offer orchestra and jazz programs. Thank you for the thoughts on instruments.

D
drm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
They don't offer an orchestra program, but start band and choir in the 5th grade. His piano teacher indicated a similar thought about it be easier to learn a second or third instrument. Hopefully, that will be his experience.

I would prefer piano be the dominant instrument, but I know it's not in my control. I do, however, hope that whatever musical outlet he chooses can help in during his school years as well as be a life long pursuit. Thank you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
tenor sax or trumpet! just kidding. I'd encourage your son to learn another instrument. He can get used to a band/ensemble culture.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
D
drm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Tim R and Ray E

Thank you for your responses. From your experiences, it seems more than doable to pursue two instruments. I think the school band, or variation of, will be good for him socially, especially given his more academic focus. Hopefully, he also finds the right fit instrument wise.

D
drm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I remember following some of your posts when we were looking for a piano. The more I read the comments here, it seems fairly routine for kids to try a second instrument, or at least for the more accomplished which is represented by the audience here. I guess I wish that for my son. Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think a 2nd instrument adds to the music experience. I started band myself after 4 years of piano, and it only increased my abilities in piano. That's the year I "took off" in terms of practicing and performance.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I played band in my first year in high school, originally as a trombonist. However due to asthma I felt I needed to switch to another instrument, and I thought the xylophone was a good fit. The keys are laid out just like a keyboard, so it's a lot easier to read music than the other instruments.

At my school I couldn't just play the xylophone - I had to play other percussive instruments such as bells, snare drum, e.t.c. This may be the same case for other schools, as there aren't many band pieces which rely on xylophone.

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by drm
He has a good singing voice and I think joining the choir is fine. I would still like the band option, though. I think it provides a better social outlet as he goes into middle and high school.

Unfortunately, our town does not have a strong string program. They have an intro program for second graders, but it doesn't tie back into any of the school programs and it's not tied to any orchestral program. At the high school level, they have also offer orchestra and jazz programs. Thank you for the thoughts on instruments.

As you are relatively new here, let me tell you about my school background. I began piano in 2nd grade; choir in 4th and violin in 5th. I continued choir through 8th grade. I joined band in 7th grade and quickly became proficient on the French horn. Also took a stab, unsuccessful, at oboe. I continued violin studies through HS, and have continued to played in amateur orchestras as an adult.

A second instrument really broadens a student and I encourage it. Each musical activity broadens and enlightens the student. If the student really falls in love with piano, there will be nothing you can do, short of selling the piano, to get him to stop playing it!

I encourage all my piano students to consider playing in their schools' music groups. We have a lot of excellent music programs in our local schools. I played tenor saxophone, hand bells, & sang in choirs, but chose piano as my main instrument. I'm not one to tell my students piano has to be their only instrument, and I'm going to answer this more as a parent than a teacher.

Our son was quite adamant that he take up trumpet in 5th grade, he'd already had 5 years of piano. His uncle had donated his Bach strad to him, what a way to start! He became an excellent All-State trumpeter. He'd picked up bass guitar by high school and now plays in the college marching band and pep bands. This is his "outside activity" when he isn't studying for his engineering degree. Music is an important part of his life, and it started with piano.

Our daughter plays trombone and is an All-State soprano. She too had 5 years of piano before joining band, and later choirs. She also plays hand bells. She once considered being a music major, but chose another career, however music plays a central part in her life also.

Piano became the secondary instrument for both our children, but an important part in bringing the love of music into their lives.

Independent Piano Teacher 1987 (full-time)
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

I think this is *extremely* sensible advice.

One very important thing that, IMO, cannot be over emphasised is that playing a string instrument, or any of those that John suggested, opens up wonderful opportunities for playing chamber music and making music with other people. I really cannot overstate the joy this can be - the next best thing after sex.

Also, I think I am right in saying that players of the woodwind instruments and French horn that John suggested are always in demand in amateur orchestras, though they aren't exactly the easiest of intruments to master!

(By the way, in various parts of the UK there is a rich, and quite remarkable, tradition of amateur Brass Bands. They originally grew out of heavy industry and the mining industry, and many play to an extremely high standard. Even Maurice Murphy, who was principal trumpet of the LSO and one of the leading trumpet players of his generation, started off playing in brass bands, as have so many other brass players in the UK.)

Last edited by John_B; 03/01/10 07:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission