2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 309 of 425 1 2 307 308 309 310 311 424 425
C
C
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
Quick! The F m concerto!!

Yes! I wasn't expecting that. I tuned in just in time. It sounds wonderful, even with just a string quartet. I hope they play all three movements.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, they did and did and encore of the 2nd. Now I have no idea what going on?

K

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
C
C
My Internet stopped just after the performance finished. Then I refreshed the page and they were performing the 2nd movement again. I thought something had gone wrong and it was showing something that had already happened, so I closed it until now, but it turns out it was an encore. Now, 30 mins later, someone is playing 17/4 (now 34/3).

Thank you Kathleen for clearing up that moment of confusion, but brilliance.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, right now a chubby older lady is standing next to the piano in Warsaw playing a gong, a conch shell, and some singing bowls that she is using a bow on. crazy I like it, actually, but I don't know what it has to do with HIM.

And the NewsHour is showing pictures of the snow in NY, where my daughter is now living. She and I decided we shouldn't go to Poland at this time of year because it would be too cold and snowy. HA HA HA HA. Jeff said it was sunny there. He was lucky to get out of the winter wonderland of Pennsylvania, I guess.

Elene

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
It's 3 in the morning - Saturday, right now. And someone is playing the most haunting and lovely music. Could they be some of Chopin's songs? I've never heard it before.

Elene: Every so often, some strange things happen there, but all in all I would give it a 1000% grade.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
For those of you not on FB here is the most recent mazurka posted by Jack Gibbons. It's A flat major, Op.41 no.4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9x5Tqz2m0

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
...mazurka posted by Jack Gibbons. It's A flat major, Op.41 no.4....

Thanks! One of my favorite of the little-known mazurkas. I've sometimes played it as an encore -- it's a little gem. It was discussed recently on another music site when someone came across it and wondered what people thought of it.

To me this mazurka seems to "speak" -- I mean as though with words, to an extent way beyond any of the other mazurkas. Not that the "text" is clear -- it's whatever your mood-of-the-moment might tell you. But whenever I hear it, or play it, I so much want to put words to it.....

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One of the strangest or should I say most unusual was a gentleman playing Chopin's "Fantasie" Impromptu, Op. 66 in a tango style!

Anyone else catch that?

Big bad storm hit yesterday. Trees down, wires down, electricity out.

And all I could think of is that I was missing these concerts (oh and the women's final group of figure skating) !!!

Grrrrrrr....

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
J
J
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Thanks! And of course good luck with the presentation!

I did a little more checking about the "Gaillard" mazurka (which I think I've been misspelling in all my posts) smile .....and several references seem to say that the first edition of the mazurka "erroneously" carried the opus number 43 which had already been given to the Tarentelle. I had remembered the story being that the mazurka got the number first but then it was changed.

Not that any of this matters of course. ha

But folks like me find it fascinating. smile

BTW.....Huneker's book is one of the sources that mentions (in a footnote) Op. 43 in connection with this mazurka. Not that he was necessarily always accurate......

Dear Mark,

It all matters! You're right, of course (see, I told you the learning wouldn't stop). I had forgotten the misattributed opus number story.

Much to post about goings on here in tropical Warsaw (tropical compared to Philadelphia, that is), but I'm late for the morning sessions. I have some photos that I'll try to post this evening when I'm back at the hotel.

Jeff Kallberg

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I can't believe how our little thread about Chopin has progressed to the heights it has now reached. I remember times when I had to resort to post guessing games to keep it going. And now, we have so many amazing posters whose knowledge and experience and insight will continue to make it the best of the best of its kind on the Internet. My heartfelt gratitude to all of you. heart

And once again, Liszt Addict, what a gift you have provided for many of us. laugh To be able to watch and listen to this amazing concert from the comfort of our homes is well, priceless. Does anyone know just how long it will continue? Will it go through next Monday? I found out that Warsaw is 7 hours ahead of Illinois.

How did your paper go, Dr. K? What was the reaction? Anything you care to share?

K

J
J
So a few photos of Warsaw to follow here.

First, a view yesterday morning (foggy) of the Holy Cross Church, where (of course) FC's heart lies:

[Linked Image]

Jeff Kallberg

J
J
Next, the old library building at the University of Warsaw, where our congress is taking place. You-know-who featured prominently on the facade:

[Linked Image]

Jeff Kallberg

J
J
Finally, a poster for a nice little exhibit at the Congress, "Traces of Chopin at the University of Warsaw". Many such small events around town:

[Linked Image]

My paper went well; thanks for asking. I'll do a separate post on the congress at some point, but now off to tonight's concert (concertos played by Demidenko and Kissin), and thence to a late (but undoubtedly great) dinner, with some splendid smalec to start.

Jeff Kallberg

Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
I can't believe how our little thread about Chopin has progressed to the heights it has now reached.....

Yes indeed. smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dear Jeff K, I can't thank you enough for sharing these superb photographs with us. It brings a real taste of Poland to the 'Devoted' thread.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff, thanks for the pictures!

You asked where the marathon concert was-- it is taking place at the headquarters of Wspólnota Polska. The address is Krakowskie Przedmiescie 64, and there is a map on the site. The home page is http://najdluzszeurodziny.pl/.

They just finished a performance of the cello sonata. Last night (my time) someone performed a string of mazurkas, wonderfully, then broke into a highly competent and interesting jazz version of one of them (I can't remember which). Then he did two completely different, very involved, jazz improvisations on the Fantaisie-Impromptu, which didn't work quite as well but were still worthwhile, wrapping up with part of the mazurka again and tying it all together. There have been some awesome jazz folks.

I need to practice....

Elene

I listened to the piano tuner while doing my yoga this morning.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Among the professionals, who do you think is the best Chopin interpreter? I'd like to buy some MP3's to add to my classical music collection. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by CebuKid
Among the professionals, who do you think is the best Chopin interpreter? I'd like to buy some MP3's to add to my classical music collection. smile

Krystian Zimerman, Yundi Li are the first two that comes to my mind. But can never go wrong with Horowitz, Barenboim, Rubenstien.

btw, Thanks for the comment on youtube =)

Last edited by Rui725; 02/27/10 06:54 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Dinu Lipatti for the waltzes

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Page 309 of 425 1 2 307 308 309 310 311 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission