2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1382960 02/25/10 08:45 PM
grantg5 Offline OP
OP Offline
I would like to begin composing for acoustic piano but don't really know where to begin. I have composed a few post rock and abstract pieces using guitars and ambient chords on keyboard. I would now like to turn to composing new age, chord based piano music. Any sugestions on starting? And also do you have to be at a certin level in your playing to start composing?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi grantg5. I wrote an article about my own composing process that you may find helpful. Find it at http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/none/how-i-compose-a-piece-of-music-571934/

T
Tar Offline
T
Hi grantg5,

A warm welcome to Piano World!! smile

Seeing that you're already composing on other instruments, I would guess that you have developed your own style/voice to a certain extent.

Now, do you already label your style as "New Age"? If so, then the process of "porting" it to the piano shouldn't be too difficult. I take it that you play some piano/keyboard instrument?

If you're new to New Age, then I wouldn't even consider trying to compose a piece at the moment. My suggestion is listen, listen, and listen, then play, play and play. One day, you'll notice that you "improvise" on something you're playing, but it still falls within the style. That would be an indication that you begin to develop a natural sense for that particular style.

This has always been my reply to someone asking how to compose things in a certain style. But one size doesn't fit all: it would be helpful to hear some of the things you've composed, as well as what sort of "example sounds" you're looking at, so we know about more about you musically and able to say better which avenues are worth exploring.

Tar

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission