2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

Doesn't matter what the acoustic piano costs, or what name brand it is...it goes out of tune, and those of us blessed (or cursed) with sensitive and accurate hearing don't need to put up with the drift in tuning, calling the tuner, waiting for the tuner, paying the tuner, and listening to the tuner chuckle as he leaves the house, knowing you are as dependant on him as a crack user is on his/her dealer.

Two points please. Those of us blessed (or cursed) with sensitive and accurate hearing can't deal with a digital reproduction of acoustic sound no matter how "accurate" it is because focussing on accuracy misses part of what making music is about: human beings sitting at human made things that are based on natural things such as air, vibrations, etc.

A few months ago a friend, who is relatively unsophisticated in all things music, but very sensitive and open-minded, came to visit and I played some music for her on my grand piano. She was awestruck at the sound and particularly by how long the sound could sustain itself. That is to say she was struck by the magic of the origin of the sound coming out of all that wood and metal strings.

I am awestruck by it everyday and I both count my blessings that I'm able to while at the same time do try and keep in perspective the priviledge of it all. But it is that perspective that makes me want to somehow try and share that magic rather than capitulate in, shall we say, pragmatic music making.

Finally, your attitude to piano tuners is terribly cynical. I find the relationship with my tuner(s) very rewarding in their helping me understand not just how my piano works, but the array of choices I can have in how we might voice the piano to suit my desires. In the digital world all you have is a manual.

This debate will be endless because everyone comes to it based on their own personal experience, needs and situation.

Last edited by toyboy; 02/22/10 11:41 PM.

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense."
- Gertrude Stein
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zaba19
Putting aside HP-305's ridiculously small display (for gods sake small lcd's are cheap and the piano certainly isn't cheap) which is a joke in 2010 I have to tell that it didn't take a long time to say I liked HP-307 more.

Ha! I don't get this either. I keep seeing cheap $0.50 displays on $1.5k keyboards and it makes me scratch my head. It's like they're daring me to buy it and feel like an idiot.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toyboy

Finally, your attitude to piano tuners is terribly cynical.

Those of us blessed (or cursed) with the skill of precise perception are usually regarded as being "cynical" by those who haven't acquired it yet.

And yes, this debate will always be endless, much like the old chestnut, "Mac vs. PC" (PC is better wink ).

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V

I, for one, particularly love Snazzy's metaphor of acoustic owners depending on tuners like crack addicts depending on their dealers. grin I'm sure Snazzy means no disrespect toward tuners here. They do honest work for honest pay. The cynical attitude is with the high maintenance aspects of the AP (tuning, voicing, humidity control). It's not with the tuners.

I find the relationship with my tuner(s) very rewarding in their helping me understand not just how my piano works, but the array of choices I can have in how we might voice the piano to suit my desires. In the digital world all you have is a manual.

I'll take just a lousy manual for a DP any day over a relationship with a tuner. At least I don't have to pay my manual $300/year on maintenance, and still wondering how long that tuning is going to hold before I need another one. And I don't care to develop a relationship with anyone. Just give me a super low maintenance product that performs spot on, always in tune, reliably day-in day-out, in any kind of climate, and throw me a lousy manual, and you'll never hear from me again. Boy, I love that lousy manual and my low-maintenance DP.

E
edt Offline
E
Originally Posted by theJourney

Rubber dolls have unprecedented levels of realism, yet men still date, get married, pay for hookers and shell out for expensive drinks and dinner.

true.

I think the only thing I have really learned from reading pianoworld forums is that . . . when Henry Ford first came out with the Model T, I'm sure there were people that didnt care about the top speed or miles per gallon, but instead they would incessantly complain about how it wasn't like a horse. For instance, I believe there must have been people complaining about that new car smell. Why doesn't it smell like old horse?

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Volusiano

I, for one, particularly love Snazzy's metaphor of acoustic owners depending on tuners like crack addicts depending on their dealers. grin I'm sure Snazzy means no disrespect toward tuners here. They do honest work for honest pay. The cynical attitude is with the high maintenance aspects of the AP (tuning, voicing, humidity control). It's not with the tuners.

I find the relationship with my tuner(s) very rewarding in their helping me understand not just how my piano works, but the array of choices I can have in how we might voice the piano to suit my desires. In the digital world all you have is a manual.

I'll take just a lousy manual for a DP any day over a relationship with a tuner. At least I don't have to pay my manual $300/year on maintenance, and still wondering how long that tuning is going to hold before I need another one. And I don't care to develop a relationship with anyone. Just give me a super low maintenance product that performs spot on, always in tune, reliably day-in day-out, in any kind of climate, and throw me a lousy manual, and you'll never hear from me again. Boy, I love that lousy manual and my low-maintenance DP.

The issue is to a large degree cultural as well.

It is a quintessentially North American tendency to prefer convenient, cheap, efficient, "close enough for me" copies requiring low commitment and low investment over the authenticity and genuineness of the real article, with all its quirks and total experience of purchase implications.

That explains why North Americans eat more than half their meals outside of the home, primarily in "restaurants" manufacturing "meals" at such efficient manufacturer outlets as McDonalds and Applebees rather than cooking the evening meal from scratch with healthy ingredients at home with the family.

That is why supermarkets are filled with brightly colored packages of "just add water" copies of real food dressed up with lots of chemicals, salt and high fructose corn syrup.

That explains the popularity of plastic laminate flooring instead of laying unsealed hardwood floors that must be waxed and buffed on a regular basis and which age gracefully and with character over the decades.

That is why people buy pre-manufactured homes or Vytek insulated cardboard/wood boxes with low maintenance plastic siding that barely last as long as their mortgages rather than building brick or stone homes meant to stand for centuries.

That is why people increasingly "don't want to build a relationship with anyone" and see themselves primarily as consumers and other people as objects whose only value is whether or not they can satisfy the lusts, wants or needs of the consumer, cocooning at home alone passively consuming 5 hours of television on average per day from their alimony-purchased plasma TV rather than having meaningful social contacts or being a member of their community.

That also explains the relative popularity in Europe of the acoustic uprights with factory installed silent systems: People want their children to learn to play the real thing but recognize that in this day and age of decreased tolerance between neighbors that it is necessary to be able to practice silently. However, the desire is to do so on the most authentic possible keybed with maximum transfer of skill to real acoustic piano playing. Someone with 15 years of classical training on an acoustic can make the transition to digital quite easily. Spending 15 years playing unweighted keyboards and then expecting to play well on an acoustic demonstrates quite clearly what the real differences are between the two instruments.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V

The issue is to a large degree cultural as well.

It is a quintessentially North American tendency to prefer convenient, cheap, efficient, "close enough for me" copies requiring low commitment and low investment over the authenticity and genuineness of the real article, with all its quirks and total experience of purchase implications.

That explains why North Americans eat more than half their meals outside of the home, primarily in "restaurants" manufacturing "meals" at such efficient manufacturer outlets as McDonalds and Applebees rather than cooking the evening meal from scratch with healthy ingredients at home with the family.

That is why supermarkets are filled with brightly colored packages of "just add water" copies of real food dressed up with lots of chemicals, salt and high fructose corn syrup.

That explains the popularity of plastic laminate flooring instead of laying unsealed hardwood floors that must be waxed and buffed on a regular basis and which age gracefully and with character over the decades.

That is why people buy pre-manufactured homes or Vytek insulated cardboard/wood boxes with low maintenance plastic siding that barely last as long as their mortgages rather than building brick or stone homes meant to stand for centuries.

That is why people increasingly "don't want to build a relationship with anyone" and see themselves primarily as consumers and other people as objects whose only value is whether or not they can satisfy the lusts, wants or needs of the consumer, cocooning at home alone passively consuming 5 hours of television on average per day from their alimony-purchased plasma TV rather than having meaningful social contacts or being a member of their community.

That also explains the relative popularity in Europe of the acoustic uprights with factory installed silent systems: People want their children to learn to play the real thing but recognize that in this day and age of decreased tolerance between neighbors that it is necessary to be able to practice silently. However, the desire is to do so on the most authentic possible keybed with maximum transfer of skill to real acoustic piano playing. Someone with 15 years of classical training on an acoustic can make the transition to digital quite easily. Spending 15 years playing unweighted keyboards and then expecting to play well on an acoustic demonstrates quite clearly what the real differences are between the two instruments.

Oh ho ho! Wow! I'm speechless. How did a DP vs AP post turn into such prejudiced anti-American hatred like this??? And such holier-than-thou attitude, no less. Is it because you can't argue on-point to the topic at hand anymore, so you must bring in ugly baggage like this into the discussion?

I won't lower myself to argue any of your points that's non-piano related. As for your point about the popularity of silent acoustic upright in Europe, that's all good for those who chose to go with this option. But personally, I don't believe the action of acoustic upright is all that in the first place. And who says people who don't choose the silent acoustic upright only use unweighted DP action? Many modern DPs today offer very good weighted actions that are not necessarily inferior to the acoustic upright action at all. The acoustic upright action is not the standard a weighted DP should strive to emulate. Only the full acoustic grand action should be the standard to strive for. So someone with a nicely weighted action DP should have no more problem transitioning to a real grand action compared to someone with an acoustic upright action.

The popularity of upright in Europe are probably mostly due to space constraint and price constraint. Not because of their keyboard action are so hot. And who's to say that DPs don't sell as well as acoustic uprights in Europe? Do you have any data to back this up? If I have to make an educated guess, I'd venture to say that DPs sell more than acoustic uprights anywhere in the world, including Europe and Asia, bar none.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Oh ho ho! Wow! I'm speechless. How did a DP vs AP post turn into such prejudiced anti-American hatred like this??? And such holier-than-thou attitude, no less. Is it because you can't argue on-point to the topic at hand anymore, so you must bring in ugly baggage like this into the discussion?

I won't lower myself to argue any of your points that's non-piano related. As for your point about the popularity of silent acoustic upright in Europe, that's all good for those who chose to go with this option. But personally, I don't believe the action of acoustic upright is all that in the first place. And who says people who don't choose the silent acoustic upright only use unweighted DP action? Many modern DPs today offer very good weighted actions that are not necessarily inferior to the acoustic upright action at all. The acoustic upright action is not the standard a weighted DP should strive to emulate. Only the full acoustic grand action should be the standard to strive for. So someone with a nicely weighted action DP should have no more problem transitioning to a real grand action compared to someone with an acoustic upright action.

The popularity of upright in Europe are probably mostly due to space constraint and price constraint. Not because of their keyboard action are so hot. And who's to say that DPs don't sell as well as acoustic uprights in Europe? Do you have any data to back this up? If I have to make an educated guess, I'd venture to say that DPs sell more than acoustic uprights anywhere in the world, including Europe and Asia, bar none.

Interesting that you find the comments anti-American. The statistics on percentages of meals out of home, makeup of the restaurant industry, supermarket and FMCG packaged goods content, percentage of meals eaten as a family, relative floor covering popularity, home building materials and methods, relative life spans of wooden houses to mortgages, television viewing hours, high divorce rates and the demise of community activities and joining of service associations, etc. are all factual. The comment about not valuing personal relationships was a direct quote from you. All provide a direct insight into key cultural aspects that, whether or not one is self-aware of them or not, can influence the degree to which people value traditional products and practices over modern ones.

They are not necessarily right or wrong but simply statements of fact that illustrate key cultural choices within North America.

If you read my post rather than putting words in my mouth you will also see that I do not claim that digital pianos are not sold as well in Europe. I made the simple factual claim that that hybrid acoustic pianos with factory installed silent (e.g. a Yamaha U3 Silent), which are first and foremost an acoustic piano and secondarily a digital piano, are sold relatively more in Europe than in the US. This is a fact. Those buying them state as rationale that they want an acoustic instrument that can be played on an exception basis also as a silent instrument.

Simply because you dispute the facts does not make a post "anti-American".

There is more to playing a real piano than having a very realistic feeling action. To date no sampling or modeling or sound reproduction approach can duplicate a real acoustic piano. This is also a fact.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
While I do not share the biased expression of what theJourney says, many of the examples tend to be going in the right direction.

If you have some time reading: Here's a very interesting comparison of USA and Germany (well, that's more specific than Europe, but you get an idea) where some of these statements can also be found. But it's much more complex, and either way of living has it's advantages and drawbacks:

http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/us-d.html

Especially the chapter "Technology" is interesting, and I who know both countries very well agree on most of the points made.

On one side it says:
"It is well known that the US is the most heavily technologized society; if you count TVs, phones, microwave ovens, cars or personal computers per person, you'll find that the numbers are far higher than in Germany, or most every other country for that matter. Clearly, they are also world leaders in many technologies, such as military applications, space exploration, biotech, software and computer chips."

On the other side:
"This is not the full story however. I am constantly amazed by the poor quality and backwardedness of many technologies routinely employed in the US. Sometimes I think that while Germans tend to tolerate outrageous prices without complaint, Americans tolerate substandard quality. Here are some examples, I keep discovering more every day:"...

But enough OT...

Last edited by kawaian; 02/25/10 06:37 AM.

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ChrisA

Here is a question for a physicist: Do you think a keyboard action could be described by a small set of parameters?

FWIW, here's some info on the piano action: http://www.ofai.at/cgi-bin/get-tr?paper=oefai-tr-2005-01.pdf but I don't think it answers your question. (stumbled on this when searching for repetition rate specifications)

Greg.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
The comment about not valuing personal relationships was a direct quote from you.

Anyone with half a brain reading my post would understand that I meant I don't care to develop a relationship with a tuner (when I said "anyone") within that context of such a business transaction. Only someone with ill intents would want to twist my words and turn it into "Americans are not valuing personal relationships".

Simply because you dispute the facts does not make a post "anti-American".

Like I said, I'm not interested in lowering myself to debate with you your points about what's fact and what's fiction on non-piano related matters. So I'm not even disputing or confirming or agreeing with any of those non-piano things you said. It's all irrelevant whether any of those things are facts or lies or whatnots. What's relevant is the way they were put together and the connotation that they implied. You can hide behind all your "facts" for all I care, but I can sure tell an anti-American post when I see one, because it looks like it, sounds like it, and smells like it.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Again, don't put words in my mouth. I specifically attributed the quote to you, personally. I did not say that all Americans are not valuing personal relationships, although it is true that social bonds are decreasing at a rapid rate, which often results in people preferring, as you have stated, to go the "no relationship" route. Check out the excellent book, http://www.bowlingalone.com/ , for more facts on this well documented trend.

A valued, personal relationship with a tuner is part and parcel of the total ownership and playing experience of an acoustic piano for the vast majority of owners of acoustic pianos. If, as you said,
I'll take just a lousy manual for a DP any day over a relationship with a tuner...I don't care to develop a relationship with anyone.
then the investment, bother and expense of an acoustic piano is probably not for you. Which we already knew.

Those that want the complete acoustic piano experience, including being able to produce sounds that today are impossible on a digital piano, and, including inviting a tuner into their homes several times a year, will weigh the unique benefits of an acoustic instrument higher than the associated costs. What people value is to a large degree culturally determined.

Those that want the best of both worlds will probably have an acoustic piano but may also want a hybrid silent capability or a secondary instrument on which to practice silently or play around with. This thread is aimed at those people who are trying to make a choice for an (in some or many cases secondary) instrument, choosing from the top of the line cabinet offerings from Roland (HP-307), Yahama (CLP-380), Kawai (CA-93) and for comparison purposes for those with lots of money, the exciting new Yamaha AvandGrant(N2) with grand piano action.

Last edited by theJourney; 02/25/10 09:03 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Great contribution to the thread! Very helpful observations.

Originally Posted by jbx
I am new to this forum, but today I tried the Kawai CA63 and Roland HP-307. Some time ago, I also tried the Yamaha CLP-380, but had no time today to try it. At that time I already found out I liked the Roland better than the Kawai, so I did not try it again today.

Did you mean the Yamaha here? I am a bit confused what pianos you were actually comparing side by side at the same place and time each audition session.
Originally Posted by jbx

Unfortunately, I did not find a store yet (close enough to me) that had the CA93, but since the only real difference between the CA63 and CA93 is the speaker system and let-off simulation, I think my comparison of the CA63 and HP-307 is relevant for this topic. I looked especially at the action, and a bit at the sound, mostly with headphones (that is why I think it is acceptable that I compare the CA63 instead of the CA93). Here I put some of my findings/thoughts/opinions, hopefully useful to somebody.

Action:
  • Dynamic range: by this I do not mean the dynamic range of the output sound, because I suppose that can be controlled by a parameter in the software, but I am talking about the range of the physical velocity of the hammers that can be detected by the sensors. Velocities that are in reality higher, are all reported as the maximum velocity. One of the bigger problems of a DP in my opinion is that the maximum velocity is reached pretty easy by most DPs. For an acoustic piano, there is no such limit (until something breaks of course). I would like to measure this (I am a physicist), but was only able to compare qualitatively. My impression is that the Roland is the best one in this aspect: on the Roland, you need most physical force to reach the maximum velocity. I think this is good because it leaves more room for expressiveness.

I wonder if this can be modified by any setting on either instrument? Kawai James?
Originally Posted by jbx
  • Velocity control: I do not know how to call this, but I mention this, because I was a bit disappointed in the Kawai on this aspect. I found it harder to control the velocity with the Kawai. Some notes sounded louder than I intended, others too soft. Especially, the middle range in velocities was hard to control in my opinion. I tried all standard touch levels from light to heavy and also tried to use a custom curve, but I was not satisfied. Maybe after some more trials with custom curves this could be improved. I do not know if this is a hardware or software problem with the Kawai, or maybe it is a problem with me... or I should get used to it better. However, I do not have this problem with most acoustic piano's I think.
  • Touch: the new Kawai has the heaviest touch, also clearly heavier then the previous series of Kawai. I like this, but maybe this is because I am used to an acoustic with heavy touch. The Roland and Kawai do not differ much, I think the Roland is a bit heavier.

• So, do you see the heaviness as
    1) Roland
    2) Kawai
    3) Yamaha ?
    Originally Posted by jbx
  • Key weight: I feel that something is not realistic about the key weight of the Roland and Yamaha's, but is realistic in the Kawai. I think it is the actual weight of the keys themselves (not the hammers). I noticed it most clearly by lightly 'tapping' the keys, with loose fingers. When a loose finger hits the key, the energy is transferred to the hammer, and the finger is almost stopped because of the collision with the key. At the moment the hammer is set in (fast) motion and the finger falls more slowly on the key, it is very noticeable in my opinion that the key itself is very light (Roland and Yamaha). It feels a bit bouncy and plasticy in this situation. The Kawai is superior in this aspect: I think the keys themselves are much heavier, which feels much more realistic. However, in normal play (except maybe for staccato) I did not notice this problem much when playing the Roland and Yamaha. I think because of the proper weight of the hammers, the keys appear to have a proper weight.
  • Summarizing: the Kawai feels more realistic and has a heavier touch (which I liked). The Roland has a better dynamic range and the velocities are easier to control.

Sound:
    I think the Roland is clearly superior here. In my opinion the sound is more realistic and sounds more alive, although I cannot tell exactly why. One thing I noticed is that in the Roland sound you hear more realistic beats when multiple notes are hold for a longer time.

Difference HP-307 and HP-305: slightly offtopic, but something I took a few minutes for and might interest some people: in my opinion the action of the PHAIII is only slightly better than the PHAII. I expected the difference to be bigger. The quality of the speaker system however was bigger than I expected. The speaker system of the HP-305 produced uneven results (some ranges too loud or sounding different), probably because of unwanted resonant frequencies.

This morning I was pretty sure I would not be able to make a decision (again) and would lean towards the Kawai. But, to my surprise, I was able to make a clear decision for myself: I take the HP-307! The reason is that I liked the sound much better, and the keyboard gave me a feeling of better control (easier to control the velocities). Also, but less important to me, it has more options to fine tune the sound and better and more sounds. The only downside of the Roland in comparison to the Kawai is the slightly less realistic action, but the action of the Roland is satisfactory for me. However, if you are only interested in the most realistic action, then my advice is to go for the Kawai, and maybe use a software piano to be able to adjust the touch curve better and have better sounds.

Edit: about the Yamaha: I think it is not a fair competition, because it is from one generation earlier. I am curious about what their next generation will bring...

It is true that the product life cycles are not running synchronously, but we can only compare what is on the market. Last year, the Yamaha's were newly introduced models, and this year the Roland and Kawai. And, so it will continue.

I am interested, assuming you will often use headphones and if you did not see too much difference between the PHAII keybed of the HP-305 and the PHAIII keybed of the HP-307, what made you want to spend the extra money on the HP-307? Here there is more than a 500 euro difference in price while both offer the Super Realistic Piano sound.

7000 Post Club Member
    7000 Post Club Member

This thread is aimed at those people who are trying to make a choice for an (in some or many cases secondary) instrument, choosing from the top of the line cabinet offerings from Roland (HP-307), Yahama (CLP-380), Kawai (CA-93) and for comparison purposes for those with lots of money, the exciting new Yamaha AvandGrant(N2) with grand piano action.

Journey,

C'mon. You didn't arrive here yesterday on the back of the turnip truck. You ought to know by now that it's virtually impossible to aim at a specific segment of the membership in terms of eliciting responses, especially when you bait your net with colorful cultural invective. grin

How long have you been sitting on the fence now about a replacement for that freebie Suzuki? Two years, three years?
    What's that all about anyway? Are you a conspiracy theorist?
    Are you more interested in shortcomings than what's actually good in a product? Are your playing skills too advanced for the current level of digital technology? Or are you continually thinking that the real breakthrough is just around the corner and you don't want to cast your lot too early?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
    The fate of the modern wartime soldier
    T
    3000 Post Club Member
    OP Offline
    3000 Post Club Member
    T
    Originally Posted by turandot
    Or are you continually thinking that the real breakthrough is just around the corner and you don't want to cast your lot too early?

That would be about it.

I am sure glad that I didn't buy one last year.
    And, I am even more glad I didn't buy one two years ago.

I am actually quite pleased to see that things seem to be moving again in the industry: improved actions, excursions into modeling, etc. I am very much looking forward to trying out Yamaha's CP line. If competition heats up between Yamaha, Roland, Kawai and Casio perhaps they will be forced to increase the consumer value of their offerings rather than following Yamaha's trick of milking us for every last cent they can for as long as they can on dumbed down products.

Certainly I must be very close to pulling the trigger...certainly within the next three years.... ha

I am thinking an instrument with the build quality of a CLP-380 or N2, with speakers optional, with the sound engine of a next or third generation VPiano with Pianoteq option and with a Kawai RM4 keybed...for under 2000 euros.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
    Online Content
    Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
    I wonder if this can be modified by any setting on either instrument? Kawai James?

Well, selecting a heavier touch curve setting (or creating your own user touch curve) would perhaps achieve a similar result - e.g. increasing the amount of force required to reach the maximum volume.

Originally Posted by turandot
    Or are you continually thinking that the real breakthrough is just around the corner and you don't want to cast your lot too early?

I reckon theJourney is just waiting to see if Williams announce any new models at Frankfurt next month. wink

Cheers,
    James
    x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
    Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
    T
    3000 Post Club Member
    OP Offline
    3000 Post Club Member
    T
    Originally Posted by KAWAI James

I reckon theJourney is just waiting to see if Williams announce any new models at Frankfurt next month. wink

Cheers,
    James
    x

Ouch.
    That
    really
    hurt

M
    1000 Post Club Member
    1000 Post Club Member
    M
    ...this one looks very nice indeed! ;-)

[Linked Image]

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
    V
    3000 Post Club Member
    3000 Post Club Member
    V
    Originally Posted by kawaian
    ...this one looks very nice indeed! ;-)

Hey, at least it's got a mod wheel.

Maybe you can route it to gunshot sounds for Bach renditions grin

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
    C
    3000 Post Club Member
    3000 Post Club Member
    C

Two points please. Those of us blessed (or cursed) with sensitive and accurate hearing can't deal with a digital reproduction of acoustic sound no matter how "accurate" it is because focussing on accuracy misses part of what making music is about: human beings sitting at human made things that are based on natural things such as air, vibrations, etc.

This comment, I think speaks to the current poor state of the art of DPs. As long as they just playing digital samples of another instrument they will, no matter how good they become remain imitations.

Notice how no one ever says a Fender Rhodes or a CP80 is a poor imitation of a acoustic grand piano.

I think the digital piano industry needs to get away from imitation and move on into the 21st century and get back to what piano builders have been doing for 300 years, making pianos that are BETTER than what had been built before.

What would happen if acoustic piano makers had all tried to copy Cristofori's Fortepiano. Today we'd have nothing but poor imitations of a 300 year old design.

Digital piano makers need to get off their collective butts and do what piano building have done for 300 years, make better pianos and not try to built imitations

Notice that this HAS started to happen. It might take another 30 or 50 years.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
    What's Hot!!
    Piano World Has Been Sold!
    --------------------
    Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
    (updated 06/06/2022)
    ---------------------
    Posting Pictures on the Forums
    (ad)
    (ad)
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    Country style lessons
    by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
    How Much to Sell For?
    by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
    Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
    by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
    New bass strings sound tubby
    by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
    Forum Statistics
    Forums43
    Topics223,385
    Posts3,349,185
    Members111,631
    Most Online15,252
    Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission