2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,905 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
WCL Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi.
I am new to Piano World and an adult beginner having decided to take up learning the piano in my retirement (60+). I am taking lessons and working my way through Michael Aaron's books (not the Adult version). I am currently 2/3s the way through "Grade Two" after a little over a year and although I am enjoying it immensely I find myself getting frustrated with what appears to be my inability to recognize intervals/notes quickly enough and also playing left-hand/right-hand separately. Searching the internet today for some tools to help me with this problem is what brought me to the Piano World Forum. I read with great interest some of the comments on the "independence" of the hands and if nothing else it has told me, practice, practice, practice.

Also, one of the things I've striven to do is to have the pieces that my teacher has assigned me "down pat" by the next lesson. At first this wasn't a problem but now I'm beginning to think this is unrealistic. Now I try for "progress" each week and I may not have the particular piece "nailed" for several weeks. Any thoughts on this?

It is refreshing to read the various comments/questions on the forum and realize that I am not alone out there. Thank you.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Welcome and congratulations on your progress, no matter what level you're at. You will find many sympathetic and supportive comrades here. I think the fact that you have already stuck with it for over a year speaks very well for you and your continued success.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, WCL!! smile My thoughts are that you have a remarkably healthy approach to piano and your lessons. As you gain more skills and advance to more complex material, you will find yourself not being able to perfect a piece in a single week. (She says, having worked literally months years on some pieces and still not being happy with them. whome )

What kind of music do you like to play?

S
S
Welcome. I began myself not long ago and love this place. For timing and rhythm I found great help in Allan Small's Basic Timing book. I really Got a great understanding of the time value of each note from these simple excercises. Just by a few pages I understand rhythm and timing much better. So I would recommend you buy or borrow that book.

As for left and right hand I had my first breakthrough on a waltz rhythm for Greensleeves. I sat there playing Dm for a long time and trying to add right hand. I just couldn't stop rh from syncing completely up with lh. Gah!

After a pause and a few pages of Allan Small for days I gave it another go. It was easier because my sense of timing and rhythm was bigger. I managed to crack it then, so now I Can play greensleeves with each hand doing its stuff. So I really recommend him.

Once I had solved it I just did each chord piece by piece and chained it up. Lots of fumbles when my brain misfired synapses, but chunking it up instead of going for the full piece All the time let Me win many tiny victories. Today I am good with greensleeves and Will set my sights on Scaborough Fair. Altso waltz but a bit trickier for rhythm.

As for learning pieces down Pat: I dont. I never tried coz I realized that I am not good enough to learn so fast a piece to perfection. I keep on practicing every Day on each piece I know and none are perfect. But I have a grand Old time anyways. Enthusiasm cant replace Skill, but it sure kindles the fire. I am closest to perfection with Greensleeves, but i still fumble on Happy Birthday :-)

My take is: have fun and diversify. Attack from many angles. Not sure how many agree, but my teacher is encouraging it while keeping Me chained to at least one piece hé wants Me to perfect, one by Czerny.

Enjoy your piano time :-)

Last edited by Svendsen; 02/23/10 06:57 PM.

Svendsen - adult beginner who realized that piano was that essential thing missing in his life.
K
K
Is your teacher telling you to have the pieces down pat? Often the purpose of a piece is to learn some new concept or technique -- I know there are times when I'll get a pass on something because I did well with what the piece was trying to teach, even if I didn't play the whole piece perfectly (although I certainly try).

Then again, I can't argue with you for wanting to perfect everything you play. And if your teacher wants that, then I'm definitely not going to question it.

I do know that as you progress, the pieces become more difficult, and it does take longer to get them down.

Anyway, you'll find plenty of support and encouragement here. Welcome!

M
M
I'm new in the forum too, nice to meet you, mi name is Carlos from Mexico, I don't know many adult beginners here and I'm glad to find this forum hehe, I'm 29 years young xD and playing since 2 years ago.

I like classic and electronic music, my favorites: Chopin for classic and Plaid for electronic music, hope we can share knowledge and feel supported with the knowing that we are not alone in the Adult Begginers world hehe :P

I recomend to practice with Yann Tiersen songs, not so dificult and good practicing for begginers-intermediates.

Sorry for my english hoho.

Last edited by Myxo; 02/23/10 09:40 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission