2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Watched it last night - it's great! (And enjoyed Mark C's commentary as well!)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You can download it for $14.99 on the itunes store now! Should be studying...but I don't know if I can resist watching when it finishes downloading.

Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
You can download it for $14.99 on the itunes store now! Should be studying...but I don't know if I can resist watching when it finishes downloading.

Cool!
Anyway I think you should get school credit for watching it. ha

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed it! It's more of a documentary about the people than the music, and it really shines in that regard. I'm rather disappointed that a lot of the performances got cut, so maybe I should've gotten the physical copy with the dual layer DVD.

I was surprised at the wide variation of difficulty and musical styles in the repertoire performed. It must be insanely hard to judge these things. How do you compare a great rendition of one of the easier Chopin preludes with the Waldstein? One of the competitors remarked something to the effect that you needed to be able to trot out some of the big warhorses to make it. Too bad they didn't make this a series show, survivor style. How cool would that be?

Most of all, I was impressed with how well these people are able to juggle their professional, music and personal lives. Do they just have 24 hours to a day like everyone else? Amazing.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
FYI: The movie is coming to Netflix Streaming (in the US) in 3 weeks, so I (so lazy I don't even mail DVD's anymore) will finally watch it. Looking forward to it. smile

-J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I saw this last year when they were first screening it, and I loved it so much I bought the DVD that night from the producer. I've watched it several times since then.

My copy does not have anything other than the movie on it. I believe you can see/hear complete performances on YouTube or on the Cliburn site.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a copy of They Came to Play.
Anybody who is interested please PM me, I watched once, and want to sell.

Ron

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I just rec'd it from Netflix and enjoyed it. The over 35 amateur competition.

The finalists played so well that you would think them pros! The winner did a great job all the way through and deserved the win (won't say who to spoil it)

Even got to see Mark C speak. Sorry I missed you at the piano somehow.

I want to watch it one more time before I ship it back.

How they control their nerves is beyond me. There were a couple of finalists who did not place who were fantastic too.

What an achievement to participate.

What was nice to see were the interviews of the participant's every day lives. We can relate although most were far from the everyday workman.

I recommend it.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Lily: Nice post! And BTW it wasn't hard to miss me at the piano; they only show me briefly, twice -- and without the audio. ha
(They have other stuff playing meanwhile in the background, as was the case with many of us 'also-rans.') smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh wow. I'm glad Netflix finally has it. It's still listed as arrival date "unknown" on my Netflix.

Best regards,

Deborah
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I saw it, then went to the Chicago Amateur Piano Competition last June. Some of the people in TCTP were competing here! Real screen stars walking (and playing piano) amongst us mortals. It was great.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I just saw the film thanks to Netflix. Well, all but the last 20 min. or so, which I'll get back to. The director's POV is really the human-interest part with the pianists speaking about their musical lives and their work lives away from the piano. That's nice, and it helps give the film more mass-market appeal, but personally I would have liked to hear more than the 20- or 30-second snippets of playing, and without voice-overs obscuring the music.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very cool, I must watch... I am letting my netflix account expire before May 15, the next billing date. It shows "They" as available for streaming. ("Them"?) I just never watch movies or TV or anything! (although youtube can waste a lot of time in cumulative tiny snippets)

L
L
Just watched this from iTunes - so much better than the Eurovision Song Contest!

I was surprised that Slava Levin didn't place among the top three, he played the Schumann Toccata and La Campanella pretty convincingly.

It's a great story of an amateur competition caught on video, delves into the personal lives of the competitors, follows them to the stage and finals. I found it riveting.

Baldwin
Charles Walter
Originally Posted by lisztvsthalberg
.....I was surprised that Slava Levin didn't place among the top three, he played the Schumann Toccata and La Campanella pretty convincingly.

I was too. But, you have to realize that you only saw bits of the competition. For all of the film's excellence, the excerpts don't always give a full idea of how well the people really did in each round. If you had heard the entire finals, you might not be that surprised. It's not that he didn't play well, but by the very high standards of the finals, it seemed he had somewhat of an 'off-day,' not that there was anything really wrong but it often seemed a bit routine and uninspired -- maybe he was a bit tired? That's not hard to imagine after a long week of competing. It was still good enough to have won, but he left some room above himself, and people took it. Also his choice of repertoire for the finals may have worked against him: his big piece was Schumann's Faschingsschwank aus Wien, which is wonderful and his playing had stretches of great beauty (and his last movement was used basically as the "theme song" for the movie), but that piece has a hard time competing with the other people's "big pieces." And there was also another possible factor: there may have been a bit of a different standard applied to him since he had been a professional performer in the past.

But screw all that smile ....in the film, I said I thought the judges would have a hard time avoiding giving 3 first prizes (which the rules do allow) -- actually I thought FOUR were fully and equally worthy -- and Slava was one of the people that I meant. And it's possible that his performance of that last movement of Faschingsschwank aus Wien, since it is featured so prominently in the film, may help elevate the piece's profile. I'd bet that THOUSANDS of people who see the movie have wondered, "What IS that piece?" -- and have gone and found out.

G
G
It's available for instant viewing on Netflix right now. I just watched the first 15 minutes. Wonderful!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
I'm still waiting for it to come from Netflix. Have you seen it? Is it wonderful?
It is on netflix instant play, that is how I watched it a few months ago.

L
L
Originally Posted by Mark_C
...there may have been a bit of a different standard applied to him since he had been a professional performer in the past.

I wondered if that was indeed the case after listening to both the winner's and his Toccata on YouTube. His non-legato playing was really incredible. Slava Levin's Campanella was also used for the end credits of the film.

Having said that, I really liked the heterogeneity of the competitors and the repertoire. Many of them displayed a strong personality through their playing and the judges seemed to reward this - and musical expression in general - much more than in professional competitions, which often have a very different (and less encouraging) atmosphere.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
...there may have been a bit of a different standard applied to him since he had been a professional performer in the past.

How did you find out that different standards were applied to him?

After watching the movie, I went to Slava Levin's wife web-site. It said that Slava had doctorate from Moscow Conservatory majoring in piano performance. Just wonder, why somebody who had doctorate degree in piano performance competed in many amateur competitions. What is the fun?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission